• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCX

At this point, the only thing I think we'll get for connectivity is playable bosses. DLC next year maybe, but not much else. Just look at how long it's taking to get the first Mario Kart 8 paid DLC.

You misunderstand me.

I want them, I just can't believe they're more than 'alts'.

Rather, I wish they cannibalized the huge customization features which I believe no one is seriously going to use for very long, and used custom moves, to create a variety of alts for each character.. Dr. Mario and Dark Pit included.

How awesome would that have been?

It saddens me that Nintendon't what Project M. fans DO.
I'd rather have them as their own slots, even if they are exacly the same for various reasons, mainly because I think they deserve to be on the CSS and if someone like Lucina was an alt, then on the stats page it would show my playtime under Marth instead which would annoy me. I care about my stats!

However I agree considering the custom moves were already made, that the clones, especially Dark Pit, should've used custom moves as the default moveset. Kinda baffling to not do that when the moves are already in the game. Then again, theres quite a few baffling choices. *glares at Yoshi placement and clone corner.*

At this point, the only thing I think we'll get for connectivity is playable bosses. DLC next year maybe, but not much else. Just look at how long it's taking to get the first Mario Kart 8 paid DLC.

Mario Kart 8 is being made by EAD, Smash is made by Namco Bandai. Not really fair to compare their release schedule when they're being made by completely different teams.

JCX

Mario Kart 8 is being made by EAD, Smash is made by Namco Bandai. Not really fair to compare their release schedule when they're being made by completely different teams.

I'm not thinking of dev time, just that Nintendo (as a publisher) probably would hold off on it a bit, especially since MK8 DLC is coming out around Smash.

RomanceDawn

I don't know what to think of the leak. Like always I usually don't jump on either side until more things are revealed.

Ah how nice would it be if Ridley made it?! I would go through all of my old miiverse posts and track down the people who were just insistent that it would be impossible and just taunt them a bit.

GAF member and Vlambeer developer (Nuclear Throne, specifically) Paul Veer did a pretty awesome illustration of every Smash Bros. character to date.

tumblr_nd8sx239qx1qbgbeeo1_1280.png

Woah, just saw the latest leak. 16 characters sound way to good to be true! However I wouldn't say uts out of the realm of possibilypty. With DLC, who knows just how much Nintendo will go with this. Its really hard to tell. Imean the MK8 DLC is half the size of the base game when you take into account that courses are more important to that game than Smash's characters so its hard o tell how much DLC there will be.

Guessing Smash World I say is a very low chance, but the way he keeps flipflopping between whats a character and AT is kinda weird.

All these characters sound great! Would love Chorus Kids, Ridley, Dixie, Mewtwo, Inklings, Excitebiker, and some of the others. (I already forgot some of them.)

I like playing as Dr. Mario and Luigi is my favorite so I'd be down for that. I honesly like Urban Champion and I can see Sakurai adding him just because he's from such a bad game. (That I find kinda fun.) Tho a character like that seems like it would be better as being in the base game...

Seriously, I will buy all DLC they release. I don't even care if its from a franchise I don't like. I wanna play as all the characters and see all the stages! Please be true, 16 characters would be beyond awesome! (Too good to be true...)
Edit: Oh, Exitebiker was "fake" okay then. Really confusing, these posts.

Dr Luigi would be so ridiculous. Like a clone of a semi-clone of a character who already has a doctor clone. And unlike Doc, he'd probably be close to a total clone. He's also not really as important or interesting as Doctor Mario is as a character.

4 characters on the roster would have their roots in Mario's movepool...

Dr Luigi would be so ridiculous. Like a clone of a semi-clone of a character who already has a doctor clone. And unlike Doc, he'd probably be close to a total clone. He's also not really as important or interesting as Doctor Mario is as a character.

Yo dawg, I heard you like clones.

Why stop at four?

kROlKbU.png

By the way; Metal Mario is boring, but how awesome would a Liquid Metal Mario be?

Metal Mario would be cool though, considering his history in the Smash Bros series. Especially if they go all the way and give him his own variation of the Mushroom emblem.

Cse

Banned
Also I would like to mention that dataming happened before the fake leak got posted.

When was the information related to Smash World datamined?

The Smashboards post on the Smash World mode was made on September 23rd. Do we have any concrete evidence that the 3DS version was datamined prior to that date?

emb

What would Metal Mario get if he gets a metal box?
Double Metal Mario?
The metal box is the reason Metal Mario actually wouldn't be a very exciting addition to the roster at this point.

The metal box can turn him into Dr. Metal Mario for some reason.

The metal box is the reason Metal Mario actually wouldn't be a very exciting addition to the roster at this point.

The metal box can turn him into Dr. Metal Mario for some reason.

Metal Mario wouldn't be exciting, but Liquid Metal Mario would be. He could even work a bit like Kirby.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Here's Entry #4 in my series of how I feel Smash "5" is looking and where the franchise is headed, character-wise...

This time, I'll be covering Wario and Metroid!

Previous Posts
Mario + Yoshi Series
Pokemon Series
Xenoblade, Mother, Fire Emblem Series

Wario

Or, more realistically, I should say "WarioWare". For whatever reason, Wario Land is completely ignored in Smash 4. Why? Well, I don't know...the games are being re-released now on the Virtual Console, so they aren't forgotten or anything, and I can't see why Sakurai would hate Wario Land. Only idea I have is Sakurai wanted to focus Wario on the WarioWare persona.

But...I don't mind. I have more nostalgia for WarioWare, and Wario in Smash 4 feels great to me...I don't think anything he does betrays the character, to me eating shit and farting feels like Wario. One idea I have though, and I was thinking this would happen with the Custom Moves, was for Sakurai to give Biker Wario and Plumber Wario their own default specials. Or, possibly in Smash 5, split them into unique characters to please both camps. But I don't think this will happen...I think Biker Wario is the default to stay.

Now, to be fair, the only newcomer from Wario Land that's realistic is Captain Syrup, and even that's stretching it. I don't even know who she is besides the fact she's a pirate.

Anyway, on to WarioWare! or Game and Wario, as the series might head in for a bit. I don't know, we haven't had a straight-up WarioWare for quite awhile. Personally, I find the cast of WW to be really cute and quirky, and it pisses me off Nintendo has never used them in the Mario Kart/Sports titles. The problem they all have in terms of Smash though is that they're little more than "Hosts" with not a lot to draw from, although Game and Wario sort of curved this by making a few of them "playable", more or less. Maybe we'll see more of this in hypothetical future Game and Warios? But among the cast, there are four that stand out...

First, Mona. I've often wondered at what point "Wario Ware" became "Wario", as the series doesn't really need him at all, he seems to just be a way to attach a recognizable name to it. Personally, I suspect Mona at one point was the main character, since she's perhaps the most prolific character. She's cute, full of personality, and I think the fact she switches jobs each game gives her a bunch of potential as a Smash character. I think she'd be really cute.

Next, Jimmy T. Alongside Wario and Mona, I consider him part of the main trio. He's got a funky design, has musical and sports abilities, I also think he'd be a really great fit for Smash in terms of a straight-up wacky motherfucker on the roster. At the very least, if his Work Out song isn't in Smash Wii U, I'll literally destroy Sakurai.

Third, 9-Volt. A character literally based around being a Nintendo fan-boy, his inclusion in Smash seems like a no-brainer. Give him a move-set that incorporates different Nintendo shit, and you got a great character. But perhaps Sakurai might not see it that way? Perhaps a character that incorporates so much Nintendo stuff into his move-set might work against him being unique, or having a single character represent so much history might come across as unbalanced?

Finally, Ashley. She's a late-comer compared to the other three, but is---no doubt due to fitting a certain character archetype---a breakout character in a way, and Smash 4 seems to be embracing that by bringing back her song as the lone WW Character Song in the 3DS Version, and being an Assist Trophy. Her moves would need to be created from scratch, but it's not hard to think of a move-set for a magician-type character.

The rest of the cast aren't as notable...Young Cricket is a natural fighter, but he's the one WW character I doubt anyone remembers (I like him though!), Dribble and Spitz and Kat and Ana would need to be a team, etc.

There's actually one more character I think most people forget...Pyoro. Who is Pyoro, you ask? He's this little bird that has his own full mini-game in every WarioWare (and on the DSI as a standalone download title), a "game within a game". He'd certainly make a pretty crazy WTF character.

I think though that Sakurai is (was?) more interested in using a Rhythm Heaven character, a WarioWare "sister series", which have a similar feel to the extended WarioWare cast, so he might not want to use a WW character since they might cross-over a bit in terms of uniqueness. But that's my feeling on it.

Metroid

I think Metroid's death has been greatly exaggerated. We get one bad game, and then suddenly it's a dead series, even though it had three high-profile titles released not too long ago, and new games are said to be in the works. Plus it got a fairly big game in NintendoLand, and Smash isn't really ignoring it...it got multiple Assist Trophies and Enemies, and at least one new stage in the Wii U Version.

So, Veterans...Samus isn't going to get cut, obviously. I actually don't like how Samus plays in Smash 4, and I'd like to see her get revamped quite a bit more by the next installment since she's sort of stuck in her SNES days. Zero Suit Samus, on the other hand, I could see getting cut....no real reason why, I just think she's an expendable character on the roster. But I like her more than Samus in Smash 4, so I sort of don't want that to happen.

Okay, but fuck that, you wanna all talk about Ridley, right? At this point in time, I think Ridley has no chance unless Metroid itself does something to make him more viable. He doesn't have the body-shape, "characteristics", or really anything that I feel makes him a good fit for a playable character. When I look at the rest of the cast, and then look at Ridley, there's really no character that's quite like him. Yes, Ganondorf is pure evil, but the fact he has a humanoid quality to him still I feel makes him a better fit...had we never got Ganondorf, I imagine Ganon would've never gotten in and would be in the same spot as Ridley is. Plus he was a last-minute addition in Melee as there was a character similar to him, while there isn't anyone Ridley could work off of. Yes, people say Charizard, but that's ridiculous. Besides being dragons, they're completely different...Charizard is round, expressive, and more proportioned, while Ridley is long and slender, monstrous, and oddly built. Ridley just doesn't have that "playable" quality to me.

Of course, I might be wrong. Hell, he's rumored to be in the Wii U as a connectivity bonus after all! Personally, I think the most likely Ridley is some weird NES-homage that's closer to his original design. Or...Other M, which really isn't that bad imo when you seperate him from the actual game's quality. The most popular Ridley that everyone thinks of, the Super Metroid/Prime style, just doesn't seem like it'd work that good. Yes, we have that Project M one that's supposedly being worked on, but that's not finished, and who knows how well that'd actually work out in terms of being balanced and fun to play as? I honestly think Sakurai has experimented with Ridley, but has never found a satisfactory form yet to use.

Alright, now onto other Newcomers...

Well, Dark Samus. Could be an easy-to-do-clone, although that'd cheapen the character as the AT shows she's capable of much more unique abilities, but I think Sakurai realizes people probably don't want a third Samus on the roster.

Kraid. Next to Mother Brain (I can't see her ever working as playable), he I guess is the next big Metroid baddie. He's HUGE, yet his design also lends itself to being shrunk better than Ridley...I guess you could just say the little Kraid is the Mini-One from Super Metroid? I actually like Kraid more than Ridley, but that's just because the Melee Stage left such an impression of him. But I think being a stage hazard that's that gigantic, and going to a playable, shrunken character, would feel really off. I don't see Kraid shrinking within the Metroid series either...if the cut Prime stuff is anything to go by, they seemed to want to make him even bigger and more imposing. How does Kraid even fit inside the Space Pirate ships?

Hunters. There's a lot to choose from introduced in Hunters, and I could possibly see them returning in the future...really, at the moment, I think Metroid doesn't have any good representatives. It's really up to Metroid introducing more characters with solid personalities and workable designs (even if that goes against the feel of the series) if Smash is to have any more reps from it. In a way, though, perhaps Samus being the lone rep in Smash is quite authentic to the series?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Screw all the hunters. None of them are meaningful enough to be a playable character.

Ridley or Dark Samus are the only characters worth being playable alongside Samus. And in the case of Dark Samus I'd rather them not go that route because they will inevitably screw it up by making it a clone, and that would just piss me off with the wasted potential. As dumb as Ridley being a Charizard clone.

If they aren't going to do it right just leave Samus as the only Metroid rep.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
When was the information related to Smash World datamined?

The Smashboards post on the Smash World mode was made on September 23rd. Do we have any concrete evidence that the 3DS version was datamined prior to that date?

Smash World youtube just appeared yesterday but people have been digging through information ever since Sept 21 or so. I recalled that someone uploaded the text on Sept 18 but I could be wrong.

But seriously, do you actually think Isaac and Inkling would happens? I dunno tho.

So any news on a release-date for Wii U?

Also, so far I'm really digging the characters on 3DS. Still miss not having Wolf, but Mac, Ike, Pac-Man, Mega Man and Fox are all fun as hell.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
So any news on a release-date for Wii U?

Also, so far I'm really digging the characters on 3DS. Still miss not having Wolf, but Mac, Ike, Pac-Man, Mega Man and Fox are all fun as hell.
Nintendo has unveiled the launch date of the Wii U version of the fighting game. The Super Smash Bros. for Wii U game will launch in North America on Nov. 21, just in time for the heart of the holiday shopping season, at a suggested retail price of $59.99. The first wave of Nintendo’s interactive amiibo figures will launch the same day at a suggested retail price of $12.99 each. Twelve iconic Nintendo characters will be included in the first wave, with a second wave of six more figures set to launch in December.
Source: http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=42077

December 5 for Europe.

Can anyone comment on how the Wii U Pro controller feels like and how much it fits playing Smash? I'm buying a Wii U for Smash and would like to play wirelessly. Getting the Gamecube adapter isn't really what I want at the moment.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone comment on how the Wii U Pro controller feels like and how much it fits playing Smash? I'm buying a Wii U for Smash and would like to play wirelessly. Getting the Gamecube adapter isn't really what I want at the moment.

Can't speak for the Wii U Pro, but my brother prefers the Classic Controller Pro button layout for Brawl/PM over the GC controller. I can't use that layout at all though.

The controller itself is very comfortable and has incredible an battery life. Whether "it fits" playing for Smash depends on you though. I suggest re-playing Brawl with a CCP controller (if you can) to see if Smash is fun for you with a traditonal diamond face button layout.

But then again, you CAN use the Wavebird controller with the adapter if you want gamecube controls and wireless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom