• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your review is funnier than the supposedly "funny" PotD.

G2VNzLU.jpg

Even this guy is ecstatic about the new mode.

I've been thinking about who I plan to keep as a main from the previous games.

super_smash_bros_3ds_wii_u_roster_leak.jpg

Since Marth was supposedly nerfed, I will probably mostly keep Falco as my main. Has anyone formed any impressions about how he differs from Melee/Brawl? Also excited to try Link, as he was one of my mains in Melee but useless in Brawl. Ganon appears to still suck so probably not him. I played as Yoshi and Ness in Smash 64 but haven't seen much gameplay of them in 4 yet.
From what I've heard, Marth is fine, just not as good as Lucina. And Falco is really bad since he lost his lasers, his good down air, and most of his kill moves.

emb

I've been thinking about who I plan to keep as a main from the previous games.

Since Marth was supposedly nerfed, I will probably mostly keep Falco as my main. Has anyone formed any impressions about how he differs from Melee/Brawl? Also excited to try Link, as he was one of my mains in Melee but useless in Brawl. Ganon appears to still suck so probably not him.
D1 was messing with some characters earlier this week, here are some timestamps:
Posted some time stamps for the character breakdowns D1 did on stream yesterday in the FGW thread, so I might as well paste them here too.

Greninja
Falco
Shulk
Robin
Duck Hunt Dog
Palutena / Palutena Custom "Jump Glide" (I'm singling this bit of footage out just because what the fuck, they put tridashing into Smash)

GIMR was playing a lot of Falco on the VGBootCamp stream too, if you can find it.

The things I've heard about Falco that stick out to me:
Laser has a lot of lag if you land with it from the air (and as always, if you do it on the ground.) They also don't travel far (though maybe they didn't in Brawl either?) So one of the big tools in that is essentially gone.

His down air now has a weird start up animation to it. Not sure how strong the spike is though, or how easy it is to hit.

In contrast to those things, I've heard he has a really strong ground game now. Bair is also (still?) fast and strong.

emb

Is that an official update? What's the source?
According to reddit, from some press kit. The resolution seems way too high to be fake anyway. Though I don't really understand what this is or what it's supposed to be used for.

Edit: Nevermind, no one said this is from a press kit. I'm dumb and also bad at this.

georly

According to reddit, from some press kit. The resolution seems way too high to be fake anyway. Though I don't really understand what this is or what it's supposed to be used for.

Edit: Nevermind, no one said this is from a press kit. I'm dumb and also bad at this.

Hopefully it's the new box art? I always felt like it was lacking, and now pac-man/megaman/marth make it way better

NotLiquid

That wallpaper is perfect.

No way it'll be the actual box art though. Too wide and too crowded. Shame some characters only get extra representation on the wallpaper, it would be perfect as a splash screen though (I assume it's going to be used for the Wii U startup).

Everyone's coming up with a roster for Microsoft Smash Bros., but nobody mentions Dust? :(

Anyway, clean:
daily-en_20140917_7dy9d.jpg

Also, the Shulk render in that new "box art"* is quite nice.

(*Like Hell that'd actually fit on the box, but it sure looks official)

Someone just released text based dump on a note in public.

Only 49 (51) characters so no mention of dlc/cut/locked characters

no Isaac, Ray MK3, Ridley and Jill (I guess Ridley is too big to be in 3DS right now. :p)

I'm not sure if there is dlc slots or not.

Where is this dump you speak of, and does it include lists of Pokeball Pokemon, Assist Trophies, and Smash Run enemies?

Hey guys! Thought you might want to know that Andre and I are going to be streaming Smash 3DS from 1-6pm PST on GameXplain's YouTube channel. Hope to see you there!

Zubz

Banned

You monster. I look forward to humiliating you in the field of battle... Or getting humiliated BY you. That's a thing, too. Either way, is your avatar just 7 Lucinas now?
You can easily fit in 10.

Nothing, it just a grim reminder to us all, never ever believe any teaser site made by SQEX again.

I know... That was an awful thing of them to do...

Not yet. I just found out that it was text dump.

I don't know if you can post the source here, but is it at least reputable? I had a feeling that, rumor or not, they might not stick characters in the game as dummy data to be unlocked later, but I'm still curious about that File Size discrepancy.

Thought I'd post it here as this topic doesn't move as fast.

Based on this dump of the 3DS trophy images.

Lots of interesting stuff here.

--The file is mirrored. If you pay attention to the character trophy list, going in the correct mirrored order, right to left, top to bottom, the hole in the character trophy list is exactly where the Ice Climbers should be according to Melee and Brawl's internal character ordering.
--As mentioned, Tharja is conspicuously missing. ESRB probably told them to remove it.
--There are some trophies from disparate series that are mixed in with other series--these are probably holes in the series list that were later filled in by others. Like Dunban is where there should be a Sonic character.
--The first listed non-playable Pokemon trophies are Pokemon Trainer, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Mewtwo, and Pichu, in that order.
--The Assist section is funky. There is a conspicuous hole between the Sablé Prince and Riki. Barbara Bat, a ReDead, Doc Louis, a 3D Excitebiker, and the Ice Climbers (!) are listed in the Assist Trophy section.

Interesting stuff.

--There are some trophies from disparate series that are mixed in with other series--these are probably holes in the series list that were later filled in by others. Like Dunban is where there should be a Sonic character.
Nah, no discrepancy there; Dunban's just now an honorary Sonic character, clearly

DrStiles

--The file is mirrored. If you pay attention to the character trophy list, going in the correct mirrored order, left to right, top to bottom, the hole in the character trophy list is exactly where the Ice Climbers should be according to Melee and Brawl's internal character ordering.
--As mentioned, Tharja is conspicuously missing. ESRB probably told them to remove it.
--The first listed non-playable Pokemon trophies are Pokemon Trainer, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Mewtwo, and Pichu, in that order.
--The Assist section is funky. There is a conspicuous hole between the Sablé Prince and Riki. Barbara Bat, a ReDead, Doc Louis, a 3D Excitebiker, and the Ice Climbers (!) are listed in the Assist Trophy section.

Interesting stuff.

Heath also pointed this out in the OT, but Dark Pit shows up with the other new comers and not next to the other clones Lucina and Dr. Mario. Could mean that maybe they planned on adding him before the others?

Heath also pointed this out in the OT, but Dark Pit shows up with the other new comers and not next to the other clones Lucina and Dr. Mario. Could mean that maybe they planned on adding him before the others?
I saw this, but his placement is unique--he's listed after absolutely every other character, including the new third party guests. That suggests to me the opposite--that he was added to the game very late, later than even Lucina and Dr. Mario.

Some other things I noted in the other topic:

--There are eight Assists from Brawl that are missing. Of these eight, only Resetti, Barbara, and the Excitebiker still have trophies. Isaac and Ray MK.III's disappearance is really, really odd.
--There are only two non-item/assist/character Metroid trophies. Two. No wonder Ridley's missing.
--Jigglypuff is still listed really late in the character order like she was in Brawl.

--The file is mirrored. If you pay attention to the character trophy list, going in the correct mirrored order, right to left, top to bottom, the hole in the character trophy list is exactly where the Ice Climbers should be according to Melee and Brawl's internal character ordering.

Interesting stuff.
Is there still hope for Ice Climbers?

Spinluck

On a side note this is where smash 4 was made (namco bandai headquarters)
lqJRWS4.jpg

Would be nice to see them back for Next Smash, they did a fantastic job aiding Nintendo in this venture. After Sakurai is done with the Wii U, hopefully he takes a little break.

I hope he creates at least two games in between Smash U and the next Smash (assuming he returns). Dude is talented. If they outsource development once again, my top candidates would be SEGA (primarily because of the VF team), or Capcom (because I want Mega Man to return and because it's fucking Capcom).

Is there still hope for Ice Climbers?
Not really any to be found in the trophy list. They are the only cut character that has a blatant hole for them in the character trophy list (there is no equivalent hole for Lucas or Wolf, for instance), but the hole is not big enough to fit both the Classic and All-Star trophies, so it would have been fairly early on that they were cut. Maybe. But the hole being unfilled is weird.

But just because Sakurai is a hilarious guy, there's a glitch in the 3DS version to hear the Ice Climbers' crowd chant.

So they were definitely the character not in the game that made it closest to getting in if Sakurai's words weren't enough.

Cody_D165

Banned

Interesting stuff.

Tharja noooooo ;_;

Not really any to be found in the trophy list. They are the only cut character that has a blatant hole for them in the character trophy list (there is no equivalent hole for Lucas or Wolf, for instance), but the hole is not big enough to fit both the Classic and All-Star trophies, so it would have been fairly early on that they were cut. Maybe. But the hole being unfilled is weird.

But just because Sakurai is a hilarious guy, there's a glitch in the 3DS version to hear the Ice Climbers' crowd chant.

So they were definitely the character not in the game that made it closest to getting in if Sakurai's words weren't enough.
But we already have an Ice Climbers trophy, so maybe there is an All-Star trophy?

But we already have an Ice Climbers trophy, so maybe there is an All-Star trophy?
The Ice Climber trophy is just their Brawl model like Lucas and the Pokemon Trainer's, and is listed completely separately from the playable characters. Every other playable character's character trophy is listed together with their All-Star trophy, in order.

That all said, if the Ice Climbers were ever added as DLC (and it's a pretty big if) their trophies would just be added on at the end like any DLC would be. Their hole in the internal trophy list would go unfilled.

EDIT: Reposting it here, since it got swallowed by the 3DS OT:

Do Boos and Lakitus appear on any of the 3DS Mario stages? Because they are listed in the stage element area of the trophy list. If not, they're filling up holes in that area.

The Boo itself is listed in the area that seems to belong to stage bosses and similar characters, with the Dark Emperor, Flying Man (more a stage assist, but whatever), and the Yellow Devil. So possible evidence that a stage boss/assist was dropped in the 3DS version, possibly Metal Face?

Jawmuncher

If that's the final box art i'm going to be salty.
Just because they never added the third parties to the front of the brawl artwork.

The Ice Climber trophy is just their Brawl model like Lucas and the Pokemon Trainer's, and is listed completely separately from the playable characters. Every other playable character's character trophy is listed together with their All-Star trophy, in order.

That all said, if the Ice Climbers were ever added as DLC (and it's a pretty big if) their trophies would just be added on at the end like any DLC would be. Their hole in the internal trophy list would go unfilled.

EDIT: Reposting it here, since it got swallowed by the 3DS OT:

Do Boos and Lakitus appear on any of the 3DS Mario stages? Because they are listed in the stage element area of the trophy list. If not, they're filling up holes in that area.

The Boo itself is listed in the area that seems to belong to stage bosses and similar characters, with the Dark Emperor, Flying Man (more a stage assist, but whatever), and the Yellow Devil. So possible evidence that a stage boss/assist was dropped in the 3DS version, possibly Metal Face?
Are they the same?
I assumed by "using the Brawl model" you meant the same render, since a lot of these trophies are just straight-up asset rips, but are these just reposed?

Kensho

From what I've heard, Marth is fine, just not as good as Lucina. And Falco is really bad since he lost his lasers, his good down air, and most of his kill moves.

Why? Lucina is the same as Marth but without the tipper. If anything that makes Marth better when you use him right.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Uuuggghhh Fire Emblem is barely distracting me from this not being out. I suppose going to my bro's to play Brawl last night didn't help.

I'm glad Inquisition got delayed to allow me some focus time on Smash.

Smash Bros. was the kick in the pants the hacking community needed to get down and dirty with 3DS decryption (though apparently X&Y had already sparked a lot of progress on that front).

Ah. How long will it be until we find this game's equivalent of the "Forbidden Seven?"

Also, were Falco and Mr. Game & Watch renders posted?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

These renders, sooo goood!!!

These are stock icons and roster icons:
http://imgur.com/a/caFq2
http://imgur.com/a/TNQ6t
http://imgur.com/a/qBHE8
http://imgur.com/a/7kfDm
Edit: I added another one that I missed

Bump it for people here (who don't flocking to 3DS OT)

Fandangox

From what I've heard, Marth is fine, just not as good as Lucina.

Aren't they the same except Marth does more damage with the tipper while Lucina has her damage spread.around the blade?

Shouldn't that make Marth better at high levels of play, or does the new physics make that style of play for Marth not that good anymore?

NeonZ

Why? Lucina is the same as Marth but without the tipper. If anything that makes Marth better when you use him right.

Based on the reports, the main issue is just that the tipper isn't a big enough advantage damage and knockback-wise compared to Lucina's normal attacks, and some attacks (Smash Up, I think) actually have proprieties that only stand out without the tipper, favoring Lucina.

Of course, it's still early, so maybe that view will change later on. Still, this is definitely not a Roy vs Marth case, where Roy's "advantage" was obviously inferior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom