• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Stardust Delta (Vita) |OT| How to Refine Perfection

BurningNad

Screw you I'm going back to trophy hunting lol.

Edit: I'll still play it every now and then, but I am not going to have marathons like I have been, it's way too stressful. On a lighter note though, at least we're getting every cent of our money's worth with this one!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
how do you unlock more music? I cant seem to find anyone that knows?
So far it seems to be exclusively unlocked through Near, and it'a all automated and done as follows: Every once in a while the game will notify you that a "Gift is ready to be uploaded to Near servers." Said gift is sent automatically to everyone on your friend list, and becomes listed under your profile for nearby players.

The gift itself unlocks a random track. The entire soundtrack is only unlocked once all tracks are unlocked. For example, the first gift I received unlocked "Arcade track 1/9," and as soon as I received "Arcade track 9/9," the soundtrack became available in the options menu.

So the bottom line is: add more SSD owners if you want the complete soundtrack. If anything it'll make friend leaderboards more exciting. (But still a tedious process, nevertheless)

So far it seems to be exclusively unlocked through Near, and it'a all automated and done as follows: Every once in a while the game will notify you that a "Gift is ready to be uploaded to Near servers." Said gift is sent automatically to everyone on your friend list, and becomes listed under your profile for nearby players.

The gift itself unlocks a random track. The entire soundtrack is only unlocked once all tracks are unlocked. For example, the first gift I received unlocked "Arcade track 1/9," and as soon as I received "Arcade track 9/9," the soundtrack became available in the options menu.

So the bottom line is: add more SSD owners if you want the complete soundtrack. If anything it'll make friend leaderboards more exciting. (But still a tedious process, nevertheless)

k thanks, kinda a pain in the ass seeing as you might have to wait longer than needed.

I'd add more people in this thread, but my friends list is maxing at 99 >_<

This is by far my favorite game on the Vita!

As far as music is concerned, I can't say for sure, but it seems like every time I play the game something new unlocks. I also always have "near" on if that's of any help.

Please add me to your PSN Friend List. I'd love to chase some high scores with all of you.

PSN: KonoOreSama

Salaadin

Is there any way to play on casual without having your score logged?

Im not good enough yet to tackle all 5 planets in a row on arcade and Im not sure Im ever going to be. Id like to roll through them on casual but dont want my normal mode high score to be overwritten by the casual one.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Is there any way to play on casual without having your score logged?

Im not good enough yet to tackle all 5 planets in a row on arcade and Im not sure Im ever going to be. Id like to roll through them on casual but dont want my normal mode high score to be overwritten by the casual one.
Same issue here.
It's pretty dumb that they're lumped together.

Salaadin

Same issue here.
It's pretty dumb that they're lumped together.

I ended up actually beating all 5 on Normal yesterday. It sucks because my old high score was 34,000,000 through 3 planets and most of planet 4. My new high score is only 35,000,000 through all 5. Im sad.

I still wish they broke up the difficulties on the leaderboards, though.

I suck at Bomber mode. It took me an hour of retrying constantly just to get the "15 bombs" trophy. Some of the other mini games like Trucker are a lot of fun. The one where you control the asteroid with motion is infuriating but addictive.

SmokyDave

I love the soundtrack to this game (PS3 version too). Every single level has a great tune and all of the various soundtrack remixes are great too. Sat and played a round with the Vita hooked up to my amp last night and it was glorious.

Fox1304

Oh yes the soundtrack is amazing. Shed a tear when I recognized the tracks from the PS3 version.

And the orchestral remixes are just incredible.

qcf x2

This game is consuming me in 15 minute increments. I close my eyes and see bonus points.

What does the EMP bomb do? The only extra I use is the missiles when things get hectic.

Grrr...got a new, personal high score on endless...32mil. I need to learn how to press the X button quicker to use bombs. Sigh...

..that 41mil score is coming down soon..............SOON!

Grinchy

Banned
God this game is good. I loved the PS3 version too so it's no surprise. I'm basically still learning the levels so I can have a chance at getting through the planets without dying. I can tell I'm gonna play the shit out of this game.

Just like in the PS3 version, and like many people, I hoard all my bombs until I die from some stupid fragment that I didn't notice amongst the chaos.

PSN is same as GAF name if anyone wants to add me to make you feel better about your scores.

KalBalboa

Banned
I just broke 10,000,000 today on the first planet. Delta is a great game to come back to after a while, I'm surprised I'm still decent at it- I had no "warm up time" at all.

Sigh..really need to get back into this game. Certainly not bored of it..not even close...but I purchased a 3DS this past weekend and Kid Icarus has consumed my time.

This is not over yet! Lol. Great job though. Really impressive.

Raxum

Got this a few days back, need a few more comparisons for scores and such, anyone who wants to add me, my PSN name is Raxxum. Honestly not that good at it yet, but working on it. Need to stop dying to the tiny fragments of asteroids I fail to see when I'm dodging out of groups of enemies.

Grinchy

Banned
When you pick up a weapon overdrive powerup, do you have it for a limited time or for a limited number of shots? I never know if I should just blast away or if I should try to save it until I can get around bigger rocks or enemies.

329 in the world- Arcade rankings!

god damn...what was your score??

Wow. I need to plat PvZ and Batman: AC and I'll probably start this up again... gotta get up there...
I still see you at the top of the chart for gifts received.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Questions about Endless mode:

- How do you earn lives? I got one once (around 700k mark) but can't for the life of me figure out how I did it.

- How the hell am I supposed to navigate around the asteroids, planes, and snakes past the 4 mil. mark? The speed is absolutely bonkers. I'm wondering if my constant usage of bombs have anything to do with this, because I'm spamming them since they come easy. Am I being penalized?

- Any tips for breaking the 5 mil. ceiling? My friends have started passing me with 10 and 20 mil difference that it's not funny. Darn you, Corto :(

Cudder

It seems I've gotten like 100 soundtrack unlocks for this game. Does it stop giving you OST unlocks in near when you unlock them all?

BurningNad

Questions about Endless mode:

- How do you earn lives? I got one once (around 700k mark) but can't for the life of me figure out how I did it.

- How the hell am I supposed to navigate around the asteroids, planes, and snakes past the 4 mil. mark? The speed is absolutely bonkers. I'm wondering if my constant usage of bombs have anything to do with this, because I'm spamming them since they come easy. Am I being penalized?

- Any tips for breaking the 5 mil. ceiling? My friends have started passing me with 10 and 20 mil difference that it's not funny. Darn you, Corto :(

There are no lives in Endless mode, one life is all you get.

The big, white snakes that shoot back at you and run away when you damage them, normally if you boost into the front end, the rest will automatically take its place and get destroyed by your boost. Way easier then chasing them down and shooting them imo.

Once you get the ice gun upgraded enough, it seems to be the go-to weapon when you get weapon overdrive, even for non-ice asteroids and to some extent, enemies. Clears a nice path that can give you breathing room.

Only use your bombs when you're about to die or can be put into a situation where you'll be stuck. Use your boost first if it's available to get out of whatever situation you're in to avoid using the bombs. Personally I like using the missiles for the slowdown and it's just better in general to specifically kill monsters. Use the fire beam to knock the canisters off those planes that keep spawning, gets it done faster than the ice gun and it destroys the canisters faster for the bonuses inside.

Also, try to save nukes for when you're about to be overrun. Stay in its general area and when you need to, boost right into it.

It seems I've gotten like 100 soundtrack unlocks for this game. Does it stop giving you OST unlocks in near when you unlock them all?

Nope. But it does count towards the Gifts Received leaderboard. I'm currently somewhere in the top 5 I'm guessing, last I checked I was #2 globally but some people were climbing that leaderboard like crazy. That's the only use for it after unlocking all the soundtracks.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Thanks for the tips, but about extra lives, apparently there is (I've done it twice). It only happened in Casual mode though, and I just realized that it's the reason why my scores were barely touching the 5mil ceiling. In other words, I've been playing Endless wrong. On the other hand, I can rake up a score of 10 mil. on normal in half the time it took me to get my top casual score.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
^^
I can confirm a 1-up appearing (randomly?) in Endless mode, even on normal difficulty. I'm sure most of you know this by now, but I just wanted to make sure it's not exclusive to casual.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I've played Endless mode a lot and there never appeared a 1up on normal mode. Do you perhaps confuse that with a shield?
I don't think so. It's yellow, named "1-up," and enables me to respawn after I die in Endless.
fhPJs.gif

So far, it appeared twice on Causal, and once in Normal. The condition usually involves awesome wowsome explosions, like the huge green cores being blown-up by a nuke.

I'm pretty sure I saw a 1-up during endless as well but it's rare to see.

I was confused when I saw it lol.

When I get done with my hardcore arcade run, ima jump back into endless and see if I could somehow get another 1-up and take a snapshot of it.

EDIT: Finished my hardcore arcade run. Ended up with 88mil. Beat my high score but disappointed cause I wanted to reach 100mil lol. Yea, I enjoy endless mode a lot more.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Just played what I thought was a flawless run of the 2nd planet and now ranked 31st. But 5 million points away from 1st!

Damn it, what am I doing wrong? I think I spend too long fighting the boss. Anyone have any tips? Also, do you guys horde the specials for bonus points or use them to kill bosses faster?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Oh, but there is, buddy.

Maybe you're not so good (bad?) that the game is willing to throw you one. I've a total of 4 so far, 2 in casual and 2 in normal.

I'm not yet sure about the conditions, but I know it has nothin to do with time elapsed or score, since I got it once before hitting 1 mil in casual, 5 mil in normal.

I'm waiting for it to show up again so I can take a suicidal screenshot.

Is it possible that shields which you don't pick up transform into 1up's? I remember such a mechanic from the PS3 version.

/edit/ Nope, they just disappear.

BurningNad

I've never seen one either, I've played endless a good 8 hours or so, and Google also has no evidence of one, but hey. Grab a screenie and I'll believe it.

How would we even know if the screen is actually from Endless mode. You could just take a picture in Arcade mode to make your elaborate lie more believable! :p

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Because it shows the exact mode in the top right of the pause menu, while leaving the left half of the screen visible. If I can somehow get it again, I'll try to do it this way.

7074644829_63dea15485_b.jpg

It won't be easy though :'(

Oh, alright. I didn't think of that. :)

Good luck then!

Don't think I forgot about you and your endless score! I'm still coming for that! lol but it's so harddddd.

Sometimes you feel like you're doing amazing..only to die from some sort of BS.

I can never grow tired of this game.

Hehe, yeah. Stardust is the one game I will always go back to, too. Just a wonderful thing to have on your portable.

As for beating my score, I'm rooting for you! I dropped out of the Top 20 and I have a pretty hard time beating that score myself. I could use a little extra motivation! :p

Top Bottom