• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geniuzz

How many of you guys play regularly on PSN >_<. I assume when ultra hits we;ll see this thread lighten up but until then seems on/offish.

As a matter of fact, I played the entire last week on PSN. I mostly play on Xbox Live, but I wanted to show the PS3 version some love too. I prefer Live, though and will likely be playing Ultra mostly on Live, while ocassionally visiting PSN.

Prototype

I haven't played in months. Traded the game in a while ago and waiting for the disc version of Ultra to drop, will be back on PSN then.

alstein

How many of you guys play regularly on PSN >_<. I assume when ultra hits we;ll see this thread lighten up but until then seems on/offish.

I tried playing on PSN after spending the past few months on PC. It was too painful, one of the few times I ever felt like lag was costing me. Made me format my PS3 in rage, remembered the next day that it was largely Capcom (and Sega) who can't program on the PS3 and other companies are fine.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I would stream a PSN lobby but there is no way I'm going to play on it again. Both UMVC3 and AE are trash on PSN.

Hey all, had my copy of Super stolen last year, so I've been out of the game for awhile, but does anyone know what I would need to do to get back into it with Ultra if I've already bought AE?

AE was DLC for Super correct? So I couldn't just buy a cheap copy of Vanilla, then buy the Ultra DLC?

Hey all, had my copy of Super stolen last year, so I've been out of the game for awhile, but does anyone know what I would need to do to get back into it with Ultra if I've already bought AE?

AE was DLC for Super correct? So I couldn't just buy a cheap copy of Vanilla, then buy the Ultra DLC?

Wait what? I dunno if I'm reading that correctly.

If you've already bought AE then you can just buy the Ultra DLC when it drops.

EDIT: Though I'm not sure if you meant you bought the AE dlc or disc version.

The disc version is cheap on amazon regardless. Like 15-20 bucks usually.

I think if you buy a disk version of super your dlc of arcade would work and then then ultra comes out you should have that AE discount as well.

Are you guys playing yet? Have to clean the house before I pick up the wife and kids tomorrow.

Marz

BV I sent you an invite.

Yea PSN is bad but whatevs.

Edit: we got a pretty good lobby going, if anyone else wants to join add me.

What's so bad about psn? I thought matches where peer to peer so the only real lag difference is between you and your opponent (and not if PSN network is crap). I'm not a network engineer though........

Prototype

^ nothing is that bad about PSN, I've played a great deal of SF4 on both systems and people hugely exaggerate how "bad" PSN is. I have over 300 hours on my SF4 file and that's not including time in Vanillia, Super, or AE.

Marvel is a different story however, but that's mainly due to shit netcode then anything to do with Live/PSN.

alstein

^ nothing is that bad about PSN, I've played a great deal of SF4 on both systems and people hugely exaggerate how "bad" PSN is. I have over 300 hours on my SF4 file and that's not including time in Vanillia, Super, or AE.

Marvel is a different story however, but that's mainly due to shit netcode then anything to do with Live/PSN.

What is bad:

the additional input delay frame
more folks on wireless.

I really do think Capcom has problems optimizing their engine for the PS3.
also since I'm used to PC, the longer load times are really irksome.

For many games PSN netcode works just as well as XBL, I just don't think Capcom games are among those.

What is bad:

more folks on wireless.

For many games PSN netcode works just as well as XBL, I just don't think Capcom games are among those.
But is there proof that PSN netcode is worse? I know its been shown with the PS3 usb architecture there's input lag, and how all early models of PS3 had wireless access while for most early xbox360's you had to get an adapter... but I have yet to see proof that PS3 sf4 has worse netcode than xbox360's

alstein

But is there proof that PSN netcode is worse? I know its been shown with the PS3 usb architecture there's input lag, and how all early models of PS3 had wireless access while for most early xbox360's you had to get an adapter... but I have yet to see proof that PS3 sf4 has worse netcode than xbox360's

I doubt the actual netcode is worse, but other factors involved make it worse effectively. (the input lag and wireless connects don't help) THe only way to test for sure would be for folks to play on both consoles and PC who own it on both.

That said, I've done this with one person and it didn't feel different outside of the 1f of input lag, but we're only 90 miles apart, and I'm not exactly a technical wizard type of player. We both prefer PC though.

What is bad:

more folks on wireless.

This.

The connections can be good but it is unstable. I get more random disconnects with PSN. Also, I noticed was the input frame delay. It threw off my Kara tigershots and caused me to keep jumping forward. Once I got used to it I had to delay my input a tad to make it work.

Looks like my character forum at SRK got bodied

https://twitter.com/PR_Balrog/status/459143001546039296

On the plus side, I was able to tell PR Rog something he didn't know. Yay me.

https://twitter.com/Rice_Eater483/status/459173394861522944

As for Ultra, the first couple of days were great since we got tons of new footage. Things have slowed down now and I'm kind of depressed. I just want the game now. Hardly anyone plays my character in these videos and when they do, all they do is the same shit they did before. I want to start grinding it and figuring stuff out already. But nothing I can do about it except wait. I'll be sure to hop back on PSN since we have a crowd for it. Hopefully they improved the netcode because my experience is similar to Alstein. I started on PS3, but when I went to other platforms and came back, the lag was just unbearable and really hindered my ability to play. So we'll see if that has changed when Ultra comes out.

I was thinking about this earlier today and I wanted to run this past the ryu players in GAF. Don't you guys think Ultra 2 will be the go to ultra now? It combos in the same situations as U1(mostly) and it a big difference in damage. It also makes people even more scared to jump in at ryu which lets him play his fireball game more, which is what he wants to do. Also it needing one more bar to FADC isn't a huge problem because the -5 fadc nerf makes meter a little less important for him now. When I look at the arcade gameplay I literally don't see any Ryu players even trying it. It's like how most Evil Ryu player pick U2 over U1.

Marz

I was thinking about this earlier today and I wanted to run this past the ryu players in GAF. Don't you guys think Ultra 2 will be the go to ultra now? It combos in the same situations as U1(mostly) and it a big difference in damage. It also makes people even more scared to jump in at ryu which lets him play his fireball game more, which is what he wants to do. Also it needing one more bar to FADC isn't a huge problem because the -5 fadc nerf makes meter a little less important for him now. When I look at the arcade gameplay I literally don't see any Ryu players even trying it. It's like how most Evil Ryu player pick U2 over U1.

Ultra 1 has a lot more utility.

xCobalt

Even though it combos in similar situations, U2 doesn`t get a cinematic which really reduces the damage. Im pretty sure it does less damage U1. As far as I know, you can only get a full cinematic after a counter hit EX fireball.

OceanBlue

Even though it combos in similar situations, U2 doesn`t get a cinematic which really reduces the damage. Im pretty sure it does less damage U1. As far as I know, you can only get a full cinematic after a counter hit EX fireball.

EX DP in Ultra also leads to full animation U2, I think. I'm not sure if it's worth trading the utility of U1 for U2 though.

In ultra you get the full cinematic after a EX DP FADC.

Ryu's U1 combos more consistently and does a lot more damage. From a simple DP, FADC, Ultra, choosing Ultra one nets you 395 while Ultra 2 nets you 304, big difference. The other problem is that you can't even get 304 most of the time because Ryu's jab DP has more push back and causes U2 to whiff. So you lose even more damage because MP DP does less. And if that wasn't bad enough, if you hit confirm into Ryu's MP DP and FADC into U2, sometimes you'll only get one hit or it whiffs because of the push back. It's garbage as a Ultra to combo into, it's only useful as a anti air or punish and if you're going to anti air with it you better have good reactions because it starts up in 8f.

As for Evil Ryu, besides a few match ups I don't see any reason to use U1 over U2. They can be used almost the same exact way when it comes to juggle into Ultra. U1 does a bit more damage than U2, The little bit of damage becomes even less after a long combo. But when the time comes when you land a random focus attack or block a really unsafe move and it's time to punish, U2 does so much more damage than U1.

U1 can do a lot more damage, but the only time you get that damage is from a focus attack. But you'll be kicking yourself whenever you manage to block Gouken's EX tatsu or T Hawk's DP and your max damage Ultra does less damage than your basic BNB combo(without a jump in). Besides that, it's actually a decent anti-air. It has a great range and will catch people who think they can jump in from far away and force your DP to whiff.

Ryu's U1 combos more consistently and does a lot more damage. From a simple DP, FADC, Ultra, choosing Ultra one nets you 395 while Ultra 2 nets you 304, big difference. The other problem is that you can't even get 304 most of the time because Ryu's jab DP has more push back and causes U2 to whiff. So you lose even more damage because MP DP does less. And if that wasn't bad enough, if you hit confirm into Ryu's MP DP and FADC into U2, sometimes you'll only get one hit or it whiffs because of the push back. It's garbage as a Ultra to combo into, it's only useful as a anti air or punish and if you're going to anti air with it you better have good reactions because it starts up in 8f.

As for Evil Ryu, besides a few match ups I don't see any reason to use U1 over U2. They can be used almost the same exact way when it comes to juggle into Ultra. U1 does a bit more damage than U2, The little bit of damage becomes even less after a long combo. But when the time comes when you land a random focus attack or block a really unsafe move and it's time to punish, U2 does so much more damage than U1.

U1 can do a lot more damage, but the only time you get that damage is from a focus attack. But you'll be kicking yourself whenever you manage to block Gouken's EX tatsu or T Hawk's DP and your max damage Ultra does less damage than your basic BNB combo(without a jump in). Besides that, it's actually a decent anti-air. It has a great range and will catch people who think they can jump in from far away and force your DP to whiff.

I'm talking about in Ultra where Ryu can combo into the full cinematic U2 with EX DP. U2 is more damaging to combo into and to punish with and can be comboed into just like U1 in most ways. On top of that the only "utility" U1 has is being able to combo in a few more situations, punishing other fireball characters, and maybe a few other character specific punishes here and there. But other than those matchups why not use U2? Why would you give up on the huge amount of damage and anti air ability that the U2 can give you?

Marz

Can you do ex fireball or ex tatsu in the corner to Ultra 2 like you can with Ultra 1? That's mainly what I mean by more utility, makes Ryus corner pressure a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom