• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Edgeward

kevo_huevo said:
lol i have relatives from palmdale! when i was a kid, we would drive there, from fucking san diego. palmdale has a "special" place in my heart.

insider info: SCR is being put on by Fighting Gamers @ UCI, and they are attempting to use "evo setups" (PS3, asus v236 monitors) for the entire tourney. xborx will probably be used for casuals, side tourneys, etc. I'm sure you can borrow a stick from someone, i plan on getting mine dual modded soon.

shit are you driving from palmdale and back just for 1 day?

I hope it's PS3, dont want to bother with modding or getting a xbox stick.

It's nothin out of the ordinary. There's barely anything here so when I need to visit friends or the rare arcade experience I have to drive down anyway Plus I commute everyday to LA so it hardly feels as laborious as anyone makes out to be.

Shit, San Diego. Now that I will concede is too far for 1 day lol, would like to go to Box Arena if it wasn't for the distance.

Lost Fragment said:
Yeah that was a pretty great match. Thanks for uploading.

I hate watching my matches though, because I always see like a million things I could've done better or things I did that I shouldn't have done. It's a blessing and a curse :(

How else are you supposed to learn? :D I'd say that your match was really solid, but there were two main mistakes

1: random normals: why so random normals? quite a few of them led to big damage, if you just hadnt pressed a button you would be fine

2: gimmick read: there wasnt a time when your makoto gimmicks really worked. That doesnt mean you suck, it just means he has the that stupid flip so why even bother? Maybe after the 3rd or 4th gimmick hasnt worked, just switch up your play style a bit and lame it out a bit more, or become even more aggressive. I'm not a makoto player, but those dash into command grabs work a lot better on bison or other lame characters.

Youre not looking at a top 250 Bison. After a few rough matches in the beginning I've powered up my spirit bomb and became Shin Bison. I've got some fucking technology that even I have never seen before, and it feels so good to blow people the fuck up on a regular basis. Also I've been doing empty devils into U1 and there has been some serious fucking salt. Did it to a Tony Hawk who tried to SPD me, did it to a Boxer who tried to turn punch me, do it to all sorts of people. It helps if i've set it up with an empty devil into throw so people are trying to tech as well.

Obviously that shit wouldnt work in a Kumite or even in more than once to a good player, but I relly pride myself now on becoming a multi-faceted fighter. Sometimes I get a bit brain dead and i know I have to work on that, along with making sure i can lk x 3 every single time without fail, but otherwise I feel like I stand a chance against any character no matter how bad the match up or how many pp/bp my opponent has. When i'm not the best, i at least have a shot, and that feels good man.

GunbladeV

Banned
Lost Fragment said:
Yeah that was a pretty great match. Thanks for uploading.

I hate watching my matches though, because I always see like a million things I could've done better or things I did that I shouldn't have done. It's a blessing and a curse :(

Every time i watch i realize how much i jump, its embarrassing really for me since i have a decent ranking, points meaning everything obviously.

broz0rs

From one great Abel player to another, Shiro praising 801 Strider via Twitter

@shiro346

昨日はギュスターヴォ(801Strider)との同キャラ戦楽しかったな~。東京じゃまことはなかなか同キャラ戦発生しない(仲良くユンヤンに立ち向かってることが多い)から、久々にあのスピードに身を任せる感覚が心地よかった。海外勢にはもっと日本で楽しい思い出を作っていってもらいたいな

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Onion_Relish said:
How else are you supposed to learn? :D I'd say that your match was really solid, but there were two main mistakes

1: random normals: why so random normals? quite a few of them led to big damage, if you just hadnt pressed a button you would be fine

2: gimmick read: there wasnt a time when your makoto gimmicks really worked. That doesnt mean you suck, it just means he has the that stupid flip so why even bother? Maybe after the 3rd or 4th gimmick hasnt worked, just switch up your play style a bit and lame it out a bit more, or become even more aggressive. I'm not a makoto player, but those dash into command grabs work a lot better on bison or other lame characters.

Youre not looking at a top 250 Bison. After a few rough matches in the beginning I've powered up my spirit bomb and became Shin Bison. I've got some fucking technology that even I have never seen before, and it feels so good to blow people the fuck up on a regular basis. Also I've been doing empty devils into U1 and there has been some serious fucking salt. Did it to a Tony Hawk who tried to SPD me, did it to a Boxer who tried to turn punch me, do it to all sorts of people. It helps if i've set it up with an empty devil into throw so people are trying to tech as well.

Obviously that shit wouldnt work in a Kumite or even in more than once to a good player, but I relly pride myself now on becoming a multi-faceted fighter. Sometimes I get a bit brain dead and i know I have to work on that, along with making sure i can lk x 3 every single time without fail, but otherwise I feel like I stand a chance against any character no matter how bad the match up or how many pp/bp my opponent has. When i'm not the best, i at least have a shot, and that feels good man.

Not quite sure what you're talking about. Those "random" normals were to make him respect my space, which you kinda have to do against Vega. Otherwise he's gonna walk all over you with his godlike walk speed and his godlike kara throw. Besides, I took very little punishment from using my normals. I know which of my normals beat which of his in which situations.

And the only gimmick I went for was the st.hp hayate cancel reset. The f.lk corner reset isn't a gimmick, though I really should've used lk tsuguri since people expect karakusa in that situation and lk tsuguri is s the safest option in that situation and leads to big damage if people try to jump out of karakusa in the corner.

Evil Ryu
[cr.HK]: Startup changed from 6F->7F, damage from 90->100, active frames from 2F->3F.
[H. Shoryuken]: First hit damage changed from 90->100, for a total of 160.

RIP 6 frame sweep, I hardly knew you. In fact, I never got a shot to even try you out. Damn you Capcom :*(

Well at least he did get a few minor buffs. It seems one of the themes of AE 2012 is "no mix ups for joo".

-They took away Ken and Fei Long's ability to st. Jab into sweep
-They gave and then removed Evil Ryu's 6 frame sweep meaning he can only tatsu sweep 5 characters instead of 25
-They changed Akuma's demon palm so that it is no longer a overhead, so his high low mix up is gone
-They made Seth's 2 hit blocked SRK unsafe now so no more hit confirm SRK's on block, you have to spend the meter on the first hit(if blocked) to make it safe and attempt the mix up

I guess there might be more, but those are the ones that really stuck out to me. And among them, the ones that makes the least sense are the changes to Ken and Evil Ryu. Really, they don't benefit from it that much, it was just nice to have. I can see a argument for the other 3 because Seth and Akuma's led to big damage or mix ups where as Fei was already very good and didn't need more. Although I don't necessarily agree, just saying what other people say who are glad for the changes to those 3 characters.

Overall I'm not too happy about Evil Ryu's sweep being changed back but I'm still hoping for that one buff that I keep asking for. If they refuse to speed up Evil Ryu's cr. MK or HK, then at least make the HK axe kick a true overhead. That move would still be crap with that change, but at least it would be worth the risk once in a while if we could benefit from it in some way.

Imm0rt4l

Rice-Eater said:
RIP 6 frame sweep, I hardly knew you. In fact, I never got a shot to even try you out. Damn you Capcom :*(

Well at least he did get a few minor buffs. It seems one of the themes of AE 2012 is "no mix ups for joo".

-They took away Ken and Fei Long's ability to st. Jab into sweep
-They gave and then removed Evil Ryu's 6 frame sweep meaning he can only tatsu sweep 5 characters instead of 25
-They changed Akuma's demon palm so that it is no longer a overhead, so his high low mix up is gone-They made Seth's 2 hit blocked SRK unsafe now so no more hit confirm SRK's on block, you have to spend the meter to make it safe and attempt the mix up

I guess there might be more, but those are the ones that really stuck out to me. And among them, the ones that makes the least sense are the changes to Ken and Evil Ryu. Really, they don't benefit from it that much, it was just nice to have. I can see a argument for the other 3 because Seth and Akuma's led to big damage or mix ups where as Fei was already very good and didn't need more. Although I don't necessarily agree, just saying what other people say who are glad for the changes to those 3 characters.

Overall I'm not too happy about Evil Ryu's sweep being changed back but I'm still hoping for that one buff that I keep asking for. If they refuse to speed up Evil Ryu's cr. MK or HK, then at least make the HK axe kick a true overhead. That move would still be crap with that change, but at least it would be worth the risk once in a while if we could benefit from it in some way.

And good riddance. That shit was dumb, and his vortex is still good without it. Glad they added 2 extra frames to his forward throw as well.

Imm0rt4l

I wonder how the replay channel goes about picking matches to show. I just watched a match of sephirothrk playing mak against edgewards sagat. I once saw a match of myself playing zeusthegods vega, and while I recall the match I don't recall saving it and it was endless. I wish there was a way to choose what characters you want to watch and choose AE instead of super.

dragonballjoseph said:
I'm glad Capcom has finally realized that half circle ultras are stupid.
I feel like some of them figured it out by fixing Dhalsim's Super motion from his ST half-circle days, but then they forgot again.

Azure J

Lost Fragment said:
tigerfistpump.gif

I know that feel bro.

ShinNL

Hey, I don't visit this thread regularly but I was hoping someone has an(y) answer. The recent patch for the PC version enabled my Hori Fighting Stick, which is great. But the performance is suddenly really weird, to the point of unplayable. I used to be able to play at max settings, buttersmooth. Now the benchmark runs slow and no matter how low I set the graphic settings, the game runs at correct speed but it shows random hiccups during gameplay, making it almost unplayable (very distracting and impossible to do links flawlessly). Anyone know what might be going on?

Lost Fragment said:
When you accidentally do ex reflect instead of U2, you're now more likely to accidentally reflect a fireball. Huge buff. Rose for top tier.
lol.

[[Soul Satellite]: Fixed a glitch that caused the EX version to come out when doing the command input and holding up-left on the controller.]
Was this common knowledge before that it was glitch, I do get EX reflect sometimes instead of U2 - and it does feel like it happens more than other x2 qcb moves :/

El Sloth

Banned
It would be interesting if next year simply no one showed up for an SBO qualifier(in the U.S.).

'Course I don't think that will happen. Maybe no big name tourney players showing up is more realistic.

Regarding his comments on the single-elimination tournament, it is what it is really. We understand the logistical reasons why they have these types of tournaments in Japan. We also know some Japanese players wish the tournaments were double-elimination, Western style.

However, I do feel Banana Ken/Hsien team were treated unfairly. They earned their spot and paid A Lot of money out of their pocket to attend the event. It's not like Japanese tournaments have great prizes. The only reason they attended was because of the prestige of Super Battle Opera.

So from the whole controversy...I take away, what's the big deal about SBO (besides a huge gathering of Japanese players) and the SBO organizers should at least kick back hotel and travel fees to Team UFO.

Also, check out this week's WakeupSRK to hear more about the SBO controversy. Fubarduck stops by in the second half.

cackhyena

Is it just me, or are all the youtube channels that used to upload great SF4 vids kinda dead? I go to every one of the my regulars and there isn't shit. Lookit what you did with AE, Ono.

Someone's gonna tell me it's just me.

Timedog said:
Damn, Darry spat fire.

Japanese are simply much better, though. He mad.

They are, no denying it, but only at the top echelon level. We're close to that, but not just yet. It's clear that we can hang with that though, Hsien lost to daigo in the kumite, but he beat him in a money match in evo, as did other non japanese like ryan hart in vanilla. Their next tier of players we're more than capable of matching. I remember when the first sbo for sf4 was held, Wong lost to Neurosis and everyone talked about how free wong was vs. the japanese, followed by talks of LOL americans can't even beat random japanese players! Well, evo 2k11 this year Neurosis came and got knocked out by.....Lucky D?! People put too much merit on SBO performances when it's CLEAR that being comfortable with a tournament's format is very influential on your performance. It's why you see so many U.S. players do bad in SBO, and on the converse why a lot of Japanese players that aren't as well travelled as Daigo don't do as well in America.

tl;dr - japanese are better, but we're more than capable of hanging with them. Acclimation to tourney's format affects the players performance.

Spiderjericho said:
However, I do feel Banana Ken/Hsien team were treated unfairly. They earned their spot and paid A Lot of money out of their pocket to attend the event. It's not like Japanese tournaments have great prizes. The only reason they attended was because of the prestige of Super Battle Opera.

Yeah, that was an unfortunate situation. I think there was a lot more they could have done during the actual fiasco. Regardless of what was done in the past though, I think it was nice of SBO to acknowledge their mistakes and give out a formal apology. A lot of people wouldn't even admit they were wrong in the first place.

Agree that SBO should have treated Hsien and Banana better, specifically, giving them a spot they earned.

I disagree with his assessment of Japanese player's skill level and saying the single elimination doesn't do the American's justice. By it being more random, it should be even better for Americans to get out of the first round at least once. Also, just because they're American doesn't mean they deserve stream time. If they were at such a high level they would deserve stream time because the stream monsters would want to see them. You think anybody would want to see Daigo, Tokido, etc... if they got bodied every time they came over to America? Not just lose, but bodied. No, people want to see them on stream because they are a top contender to win the tournament. Currently, Americans haven't gotten out of the first round for 4. That's not even factoring other countries into the equation. I wonder if Kuwait, Taiwan, etc... feel they deserve to be on stream for the first round. You want to guarantee stream time in another country? Body the competitors and force them to look at your immense skill level.

FindMyFarms said:
Yeah, that was an unfortunate situation. I think there was a lot more they could have done during the actual fiasco. Regardless of what was done in the past though, I think it was nice of SBO to acknowledge their mistakes and give out a formal apology. A lot of people wouldn't even admit they were wrong in the first place.

I disagree. As someone who has gone back and forth between Japan and the States, I know that shit's expensive. And a written stuffy Japanese apology isn't going to make up for A) the time they invested to play and qualify for the spot, B) the money they spent on a plane ticket (>$1,000), C) other associated traveling fees (ie food, hotel, arcade games, etc) and D) the disappointment and unfairness regarding the situation.

Tougeki could've given them each $1,500. Like Fubarduck said on WakeupSRK, with the money they got from the stream proceeds (some from Western viewers), they could've graciously given them at least the cost of their plane ticket.

And regarding all of the other nonsense in the article. Let's get past this Japan vs. U.S. argument. It's tired. There were only 8 Japanese players in the Evo top 32 of AE. American tournaments aren't free.

And Evo is a world championships, so players from Europe, Taiwan, Australia, Korea, Saudia Arabia, Kuwait, Singapore, etc are putting in work.

There are plenty of players in the U.S. like Wolfkrone, Latif, Justin Wong, Mike Ross, Ricky O, Valle, John Choi, etc that can hang with the Japanese players.

We saw Latif beat Tokido and Daigo on his way to second place.

Last year, we saw the hottest player in Japan Sako get bodied by Justin Wong twice in a tournament.

Credit to Event Hubs:

1. Fuudo (Fei Long)
2. BrokenTier|Latif (C. Viper)
3. Poongko (Seth)
4. MCZ|Daigo Umehara (Yun)
5. eLive|Kindevu (Yun)
5. MCZ|Tokido (Akuma)

7. WolfKrone (C. Viper)
7. Flash Metroid (Zangief, C. Viper)
9. BLG|Juicebox (Abel, Juri)
9. 801Strider (Makoto, Abel)
9. MCZ|Mago (Fei Long, Sagat)
9. DR Ray (Fei Long)
13. EG|Justin Wong (Rufus)
13. Shiro (Makoto)
13. eLive|RF (Sagat)

13. Evans (Fei Long)
17. TTC|GamerBee (Adon)
17. Hsien Chang (Yun)
17. Xian (Yun)
17. CJ Truth (Fei Long)
17. Alex Valle (Ryu)
17. EG|Momochi (Yun)
17. cc.coL|Filipino Champ (Dhalsim, Seth)
17. cc.coL|Combofiend (Guy)
25. EMP|Sanford Kelly (Unknown)
25. Banana Ken (Ken)
25. Shady K. (Ryu)
25. John Choi (Ryu)
25. BLG|Vangief (Zangief)
25. Snafoo (Unknown)
25. Infiltration (Akuma)
25. Leslie Cheong (Sagat)

USD

_dementia said:
USD, anywhere I can watch the Japanese Gears 3 launch party recorded?
Someone uploaded part of the footage:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm15683954
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm15684180

There is a full archive, but only for premium members.

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv63883727

The main thing they showed off was Horde mode, starting from Wave 25 (on Casual). From what I watched, they also had on some of the voice actors and a bit of Anya cosplay.

Also, I'm an idiot.

USD

Offcast is now a part of Level|Up:

September 21, 2011, Orange County, CA – Level|Up is proud to announce and welcome Louis Vigil as a new member of the team. Louis will partake in the roles and responsibilities associated with stream and broadcast production. With a creative mind and background in web streaming, he will help expand the original content and event coverage lined up for 2012.

The Offcast brand will become a part of the Level|Up network.

Established in 2010, Offcast has been closely associated with Level|Up through broadcasting Wednesday Night Fights, Revelations, assisting during UFGT7 and the Comic-Con Tekken Tag Tournament 2 event. Offcast has been streaming various events organized by Fighting Gamers @UCI such as Rival Schools 3, UCI Ranbat Series, and UCI 3v3 Team Tournament. Finally, Offcast co-produced the secondary EVO 2K11 stream with FinestKO and the afterhours Redemption Suite with Canada Cup Gaming.

Level|Up Live: Offcast will feature content that focuses on a variety of gaming alongside fighting game events.

Louis states, “It is an exciting opportunity to join Level|Up. We have worked together on many events and have helped me expand my own brand. Becoming an official member of the team allows me to fully utilize my talents in stream production and direction. As for the Offcast brand becoming a network member or “show”, I feel this allows me to pursue broadcasts of games in other genres and to also experiment with different types of fighting game broadcasts. Offcast will retain its personality, style, and hopefully continue to grow and reach larger audiences.”

Alex Valle, Level|Up President, states “Fulfilling a strong production to entertain the masses requires determination, passion, and talented people on your team. Louis not only displays these attributes to his work but is a genuine friend to gaming communities worldwide. We're excited to have Louis as a member of the Level|Up team. We're looking forward to showcase his strengths to the production team and to expand the quality of our presentation for events to come.”

Level|Up, LLC is a broadcast company that produces weekly gaming tournaments, special events, and tutorials. Coverage includes exclusive trade show events such as Comic Con, E3, and original major tournaments such as SoCal Regionals. For additional information, please visit http://www.levelup-series.com
Shoutouts to Louis, god of the creeper cam.

Is there a number of total Japanese players that entered evo? Also all that has to be said is that they had AE for half a year longer than us and America still did that good in evo. Skill level wise, we are really close.

biosnake20 said:
Is there a number of total Japanese players that entered evo? Also all that has to be said is that they had AE for half a year longer than us and America still did that good in evo. Skill level wise, we are really close.

I thought So Cal, Nor Cal, and New York had AE after maybe 2 -3 weeks?

@spider
Also, the only top JP player that didn't make top 32 was Neurosis. So that's 8 out of 9. If there were more, I'm sure the number would be higher. So that "only" 8 out of 32 stat is a bit misleading.

USD

I like UltraDavid's way of thinking:

UltraDavid said:
You know what? Keeping in mind that Capcom can screw up balancing sometimes, this is my suggestion for making it as simple and un-screw-up-able as possible. Do as few untested or new things as you can, and if a character isn't screaming for an untested change, don't do it. Some of these characters kind of annoy me, but I'd rather face a characters I know is really good but not broken like Super Cammy or AE Seth than risk Capcom screwing things up heh.

--Return to exact Super incarnations (12 chars): Abel, Boxer, Cammy, Chun, Dhalsim, Guile, Honda, Fei, Dictator, Rose, Rufus, Ryu

--Keep exact AE incarnations (12 chars): Adon, Akuma, Cody, DeeJay, Ibuki, Juri, Ken, Makoto, Sagat, Sakura, Seth, Viper

--Combine obviously better parts of Vanilla, Super, & AE incarnations (5 chars): Blanka Super horizontal balls + AE everything else, Claw Super cosmic heel + AE everything else, Fuerte Vanilla RSF/tortilla/guacamole/u1 + Super u2 + AE normals, Gen Vanilla jumps + AE everything else, Zangief Super everything + AE spds/u2

That leaves only 10 characters needing slight changes: Dan, Dudley, Evil, Gouken, Guy, Hakan, Hawk, Oni, Yun, and Yang.
Not to say I agree 100% with his choices, but I like the idea of keeping characters as close to their strongest SSFIV versions as possible. I personally have more of a problem with the nerfs that the characters get than the buffs.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Conceited said:
E. Ryu back to 7f sweep? :\

Adon's changes are meh.
If "Hittable area" means hurtbox, it could potentially be a serious nerf. Jaguar kicks are the core of his game.

Top Bottom