• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Axis

Satyamdas said:
Nope. Take a scrub level Yun in 3S, and a scrub level Yun in AE. Which will win easier? Mid level Yun in 3S vs. mid level Yun in AE. Who wins easier?

At the top level I think he is equally potent in 3S and AE, but the top level is not what most of us are or play against.

meh, agree to disagree. if not more annoying than he is in AE then he's just as bad. easier to use does not make him more bullshit as 3s is a harder game to play in general IMO. play a mid-level yun in 3s and you would fucking HATE him.

KidA Seven said:
I wonder who Daigo will team with for SBO. Mago will most likely team with Tokido.
Daigo is not participating in the SBO. He's protesting the lack of prize money from what I read.

I don't think Mago is playing either, don't know the reason behind his decision.

f0rk

Is there more people playing EU PSN or PC? Considering picking a fighting game up, are there plenty of GAF people to play with / learn from? Will probably be playing on a pad as well.

MIMIC

Banned
Professor Beef said:
Everyone should just use a grappler if they're having problems with AE Yun.

I beat a Yun 10 times in a row with Zangief. ^_^ (I got sick of losing with Fuerte, lol)

I roll through average Yuns with T.Hawk. Most of these guys are sloppy with their dive kicks. Give me that SPD baby!!

Rufus gives me more problems, with his low ass dive kick.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
black_vegeta said:
Daigo is not participating in the SBO. He's protesting the lack of prize money from what I read.

I don't think Mago is playing either, don't know the reason behind his decision.
I could've sworn I read that Tokido and Sako weren't going to attempt to qualify, either.

LProtag

So excited. No idea when my stick will come in.

Going to get my ass kicked so many times trying to pick up Makoto right from the get go.

Nyoro SF

black_vegeta said:

Whoa, source?

Satyamdas

Banned
Axis said:
meh, agree to disagree. if not more annoying than he is in AE then he's just as bad. easier to use does not make him more bullshit as 3s is a harder game to play in general IMO. play a mid-level yun in 3s and you would fucking HATE him.
Meh, I agree you are wrong. ^_^

I have played mid level Yuns in 3S, and I did fucking hate him, but the difference is I never played 3S enough to learn parrying and effective strats to counter him.

But in SF4, which I have played since day 1 Vanilla, I am getting stomped on by Yuns who are not fundamentally sound, and who are just spamming dive kicks and safe specials. I'm not the only one losing to that bullshit. This is happening to actual good players too. And when you play good players then we also get to deal with infinite block strings and frame traps in addition to safe pressure and crazy damage.

At least Viper players can point to a certain execution threshold as a defense for their character's derpiness. What can Yun players point to?

Easier to use DOES make him more bullshit as a character because at least in 3S, the learning curve is steep before you can make him work, and the game has a mechanic that negates one of his major strengths. In AE he just comes in damn near broken out the box to the point where complete scrubs can get wins off good players, and that mechanic is gone so we all just have to bend over and take it.

Looking at what makes a character strong is more than what he as an individual has, it's also relative to what the other characters have. In AE, there are 3 or 4 characters who have tools that can mitigate his ass rapings, and the rest are completely free to his nonsense. In 3S, the game engine itself had a mechanic that every character had access to which helped them deal with his BS. That alone makes him stronger in AE because without fear of parries he can just dive kick all day for free and start his bullshit.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What is it in particular about Yun's divekicks that make them so good compared to Yang's and Rufus'? Hitbox? Trajectory?

I feel like I can counter a lot of Rufus' divekick pressure from afar with stuff like standing roundhouse and and jumping strong, but that never seems to work very well on Yun. Dhalsim jumping strong especially seems a lot harder to hit Yun as compared to Rufus.

Rentahamster said:
What is it in particular about Yun's divekicks that make them so good compared to Yang's and Rufus'? Hitbox? Trajectory?

I feel like I can counter a lot of Rufus' divekick pressure from afar with stuff like standing roundhouse and and jumping strong, but that never seems to work very well on Yun. Dhalsim jumping strong especially seems a lot harder to hit Yun as compared to Rufus.
The fact that you can aim them, fake people out and crossup easier.

Satyamdas

Banned
Rentahamster said:

Bingo. Yun comes down at angles that make Sim's anti-air limbs useless, and his hitbox is small so it is harder to catch the edges of his body as a opposed to Rufus who has an extra large hitbox which makes it easier to catch his far jumpins. Yun just comes down in between Sim's limbs and closes distance with ease, whereas Rufus really has to be smart in his approach or he will eat a ton of damage on the way in.

And even though Yun's dive kick doesn't have some godlike hitbox, the problem is the priority on it is crazy and it beats out all of Sim's limbs. Turns out the best thing to do if he is at just past mid screen and you expect a dive kick, is to do a preemptive EX or MP Flame. EX is better the closer he is due to the faster start up. Not only will it stay out long enough to catch a lot of dive kick angles, but if he decides to lunge punch or shoulder instead, Yoga Flame also beats those options. Of course, if he does nothing and then decides to attack as you recover from the Flame, you are fucked. ^_^

Nyoro SF said:
Whoa, source?

Don't have the source, I just remember reading it on some article awhile ago.

Sorry.

Edit: Just saw this on Eventscrubs "mad catz doesn't want them to go because the cash prize is not big enough."

Any confirmation on this MarkMan?

Axis

Satyamdas said:
Meh, I agree you are wrong. ^_^

I have played mid level Yuns in 3S, and I did fucking hate him, but the difference is I never played 3S enough to learn parrying and effective strats to counter him.

But in SF4, which I have played since day 1 Vanilla, I am getting stomped on by Yuns who are not fundamentally sound, and who are just spamming dive kicks and safe specials. I'm not the only one losing to that bullshit. This is happening to actual good players too. And when you play good players then we also get to deal with infinite block strings and frame traps in addition to safe pressure and crazy damage.

At least Viper players can point to a certain execution threshold as a defense for their character's derpiness. What can Yun players point to?

Easier to use DOES make him more bullshit as a character because at least in 3S, the learning curve is steep before you can make him work, and the game has a mechanic that negates one of his major strengths. In AE he just comes in damn near broken out the box to the point where complete scrubs can get wins off good players, and that mechanic is gone so we all just have to bend over and take it.

Looking at what makes a character strong is more than what he as an individual has, it's also relative to what the other characters have. In AE, there are 3 or 4 characters who have tools that can mitigate his ass rapings, and the rest are completely free to his nonsense. In 3S, the game engine itself had a mechanic that every character had access to which helped them deal with his BS. That alone makes him stronger in AE because without fear of parries he can just dive kick all day for free and start his bullshit.

ok so in a game with a catch-all defense such as parry...him still being top 2 doesn't really matter? yun is one of the, if not the biggest benefactor of the parry mechanic. parry -> hit confirm shoulder xx geini jin...say goodbye to 50% or more. couple that with how small his meter for geini jin is and the meter building mechanics in the game are and you're pretty much fucked seeing as how he'll build another 1/3rd bar just finishing his geini jin combo...

he's easier to play in AE because the game is easier to play overall but AS A CHARACTER i don't think he's as good as his 3s incarnation because he doesn't have constant access to super. i agree that yun is far too good relative to how easy it is to play him...and he definitely rapes sim(which is why i assume you're arguing this) but i'm pretty sure he bodied the low tier in 3s just as badly ie: Q, twelve, etc

Edgeward

f0rk said:
Is there more people playing EU PSN or PC? Considering picking a fighting game up, are there plenty of GAF people to play with / learn from? Will probably be playing on a pad as well.

I really don't know of many if any active gaffers on EU psn. I would go to PC

Satyamdas

Banned
Axis said:
ok so in a game with a catch-all defense such as parry...him still being top 2 doesn't really matter? yun is one of the, if not the biggest benefactor of the parry mechanic. parry -> hit confirm shoulder xx geini jin...say goodbye to 50% or more. couple that with how small his meter for geini jin is and the meter building mechanics in the game are and you're pretty much fucked seeing as how he'll build another 1/3rd bar just finishing his geini jin combo...

he's easier to play in AE because the game is easier to play overall but AS A CHARACTER i don't think he's as good as his 3s incarnation because he doesn't have constant access to super. i agree that yun is far too good relative to how easy it is to play him...and he definitely rapes sim(which is why i assume you're arguing this) but i'm pretty sure he bodied the low tier in 3s just as badly ie: Q, twelve, etc
The point you are missing is that even if AE didn't have super or ultra meter, Yun would still rape everyone because of how good his other tools are. In 3S that super meter is a major plus for him and is a major reason he is top tier, but the presence of parries mitigates his other tools significantly. In AE if you aren't a grappler, Seth, Fei, or Viper, you are going to struggle against Yun because everything he does is rewarded with crazy damage and is safe to execute.

I already said this isn't about how Yun rapes Sim, because that 8-2 match is an anomaly. He beats *EVERYONE* outside of a small handful of characters. In 3S he was also top tier, but the mechanics of the game forced a Yun player to use a bit more of his brain as he played. The fact that AE Yun can just Push Buttons, Win Matches™, regardless of any fundamental skills, says to me that relative to the rest of the cast, he is more bullshit in AE than in 3S.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Satyamdas said:
In AE if you aren't a grappler, Seth, Fei, or Viper, you are going to struggle against Yun
I hope you have reasons behind that logic besides LOL TOP EVO PLAYERS WERE THOSE CHARACTERS. -.-

Satyamdas said:
The fact that AE Yun can just Push Buttons, Win Matches™, regardless of any fundamental skills, says to me that relative to the rest of the cast, he is more bullshit in AE than in 3S.

No

Axis

QisTopTier said:
Wut? The only fights Q has a hard time with is Urien and Makoto. Everyone else can be dealt with by good knowledge of the game and parries

that's why i said pretty sure...i knew makoto raped him hard but wasn't sure otherwise. i know i've always had trouble with yun >:[

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Axis said:
that's why i said pretty sure...i knew makoto raped him hard but wasn't sure otherwise. i know i've always had trouble with yun >:[
Parries and well timed pokes are your friend, I've won some matches with just fucking jabs alone on Q ..... :(

Satyamdas

Banned
QisTopTier said:
I hope you have reasons behind that logic besides LOL TOP EVO PLAYERS WERE THOSE CHARACTERS. -.-
Yeah totally dude, I just tuned into EVO and formulated an opinion on the strengths of Yun based on the matches I saw. OMG EXPOSED.

QisTopTier said:
I hope you have reasons behind that logic besides LOL NO. -.-

LProtag

7-10 day shipping. The curse of buying a used stick on eBay. Oh well.

Now to search for a cheap copy of the game... everything is finally coming to fruition.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Satyamdas said:
Yeah totally dude, I just tuned into EVO and formulated an opinion on the strengths of Yun based on the matches I saw. OMG EXPOSED.

Actually from the amount of whining you are doing, along with the characters you said with no reason why. Yeah that's pretty much exactly what you are doing. :) Oh and you get your ass handed to you by him obviously so that's where the whole omg everyone is so helpless vs him comes from. The seth vs yun fight isn't even really in Seth's favor it's a 50/50 match of who ever hits who first.

ZYO5V.jpg

InsertNameHere said:
7-10 day shipping. The curse of buying a used stick on eBay. Oh well.

Now to search for a cheap copy of the game... everything is finally coming to fruition.
I'm certain that copies of Super are cheap now. You should get that, then download AE.

Satyamdas

Banned
QisTopTier said:
Actually from the amount of whining you are doing, along with the characters you said with no reason why. Yeah that's pretty much exactly what you are doing. :)
I'd assume most people reading this thread know why those characters I mentioned can fight Yun better than the rest of the cast. If you don't know why then sucks for you, but I'm not going to go into detail for a known troll. ^_^

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Satyamdas said:
I'd assume most people reading this thread know why those characters I mentioned can fight Yun better than the rest of the cast. If you don't know why then sucks for you, but I'm not going to go into detail for a known troll. ^_^
You think I'm a troll? Oh that's cute :D

I stand by my point of omg these guys are on top in evo these are the only characters that stand a chance vs him! Cause honestly, there are a handful of other characters that can handle yun pretty damn well. Why are these not mentioned? Oh cause LOL not top 8 evo.

I'm legitimately more scared of yang than I am yun. Also this argument of which version of yun is scarier is stupid. Who gives a fuck. They're godlike in both games, end of story.

InsertNameHere said:
How much is the AE download?
1200 points/15 dollars. Its probably cheaper to buy super and the dlc than buying the AE disc.

Satyamdas

Banned
QisTopTier said:
You think I'm a troll? Oh that's cute :D
C'mon, son. I know you're a troll. If the shit you say in SF and Marvel threads isn't enough I *saw* your brush-in-pooper story in the OT. ^_^

Your whole schtick is trollerific and it's obvious and well known. :D

QisTopTier said:
I stand by my point of omg these guys are on top in evo these are the only characters that stand a chance vs him! Cause honestly, there are a handful of other characters that can handle yun pretty damn well. Why are these not mentioned? Oh cause LOL not top 8 evo.
So not only are you a troll you are a lazy one. ^_^

Yun has trouble with Gief and Hawk because he has to take risks to get close enough to run his offense and will get murked quick by their spds. Seth's vortex and dp is good enough to stop Yun from running all over him. Viper's tools make it so that pinning her down and running his braindead offense isn't easy, and her damage and stun output means that she can kill him quickly if he messes up. Fei is just solid all around with the best offensive and defensive options in the game. Fei still has to play very smart to beat Yun but it is close to an even match up.

I've heard that Bison and DeeJay do okay against Yun, but those are still in Yun's favor. What other characters "handle Yun pretty damn well"?

zlatko

Banned
dragonballjoseph said:
Bison beats Yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon.

Pimpson beats everyone. He has that shadaloo swag.

Sagat vs Yun seems 5-5 and makes Yun have to work hard. I think Yang vs Sagat though is 6-4 in Yang's favor.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Satyamdas said:
C'mon, son. I know you're a troll. If the shit you say in SF and Marvel threads isn't enough I *saw* your brush-in-pooper story in the OT. ^_^

Your whole schtick is trollerific and it's obvious and well known. :D

That's a true story sadly enough, people can believe it or not. As well as retorting to bringing up something like that as an argument is just plain childish.

Constantly pointing out dumb stuff people say all the time in the threads does not = troll. I actually do give advice when asked and tend to not talk unless I actually do know what I'm talking about. The times I'm wrong I'll straight up admit right away that holy shit I was wrong. :D So no I'm not a troll kthx :)

Everything you said about why those characters do good vs yun is correct. Sagat can do a pretty damn decent job vs yun. The rufus vs yun match isn't that bad for rufus at all either as it's another who ever gets going first type fight. Bison does decent enough with his normals vs yun. The only characters that honestly have a hell of a time vs yun are the ones with out abusable normals or a decent escape/reversal tool.

Yun is still pretty brain dead and simple over all compared to about 1/2 the cast at the least, but he's still beatable with smart playing. The fact he is so idk for lack of a better term, auto-pilot to play, is what literally screws over the non big league Yuns. He only has so many patterns of attacks he can go through, sure they are overbearing and hard to deal with, but you almost always know what he is going to do next.

Now wait for the nerf that ono said is going to happen, maybe, until then if Yun is seriously pissing you off that bad just counter pick his ass.

USD please make a gif of daigo in the beggining of the loltastic video. Also in the evo recap video its so cool to see tokido get so hype. You dont usually see emotion like that from a japanese player.

Axis

QisTopTier said:
That's a true story sadly enough, people can believe it or not. Constantly pointing out dumb stuff people say all the time in the threads does not = troll. I actually do give advice when asked and tend to not talk unless I actually do know what I'm talking about. The times I'm wrong I'll straight up admit right away that holy shit I was wrong. :D So no I'm not a troll kthx :)

Everything you said about why those characters do good vs yun is correct. Sagat can do a pretty damn decent job vs yun. The rufus vs yun match isn't that bad for rufus at all either as it's another who ever gets going first type fight. Bison does decent enough with his normals vs yun. The only characters that honestly have a hell of a time vs yun are the ones with out abusable normals or a decent escape/reversal tool.

he plays dhalsim so i understand his frustration with the matchup; i think chun goes even with yun as well but that's just my opinion...i don't see the matchup played often at all.

USD

biosnake20 said:
USD please make a gif of daigo in the beggining of the loltastic video. Also in the evo recap video its so cool to see tokido get so hype. You dont usually see emotion like that from a japanese player.
raredaigofootage3u4c.gif

Satyamdas

Banned
QisTopTier said:
And that is a large majority of the cast. All I was saying is that due to the engine in SF4, it is a lot easier for Yun to dominate characters than it was in 3S, even though he also dominated in that game.

Without parries, and without a decent reversal or get-the-fuck-off-me move, Yun is a lot freer to just go to town on everyone. At least in 3S everyone had a tool that helped deal with parts of his offense. In SF4 A LOT of characters have absolutely *nothing* to help them deal with his pressure. At the top level Yun rapes for free in both versions.

Axis said:
he plays dhalsim so i understand his frustration with the matchup; i think chun goes even with yun as well but that's just my opinion...i don't see the matchup played often at all.
Why do you keep repeating this Dhalsim shit? I am not talking about Sim/Yun, I am talking about the character in general. Yun dominates a large majority of the SF4 cast for free.

USD

I don't know why stream monsters kept saying that Aris didn't know about Kayo. The repeated "I don't believe it" lines should have been a dead giveaway.

Top Bottom