• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Solune said:
She got changed on most of her punch normals.Recovery frames on Close St.LP , Far St.LP, Cr. LP, Cr.MP, Close St.HP are all reduced and +6 on hit which means you can link any of them into Cr.MK or Far St.HP(which has 6f startup from 7f in Super). Depending on the range of Far St.HP it is special cancellable.

Other than that, enjoy nerfed Cammy!
Yea I just played a cammy who was locking me down with her normals. Seems like cammy doesn't really need the tkcs to win. And if I didn't know any better, it seemed like her standing medium kick has improved also. She still seems pretty solid. Also, it's funny how much the Fei army has been slowly but surely making there way on to XBL.

LProtag

I just watched the Mike Ross documentary. It was pretty interesting. Kinda takes EVO and the whole world of these pro players and shows that they're not gods but regular people. You don't really get that feeling when you watch it on the streams.

Edgeward

I think I've lost the ability to dp. I can't hit the corners anymore, so I get scared trying to AA and then just affects how I play which then goes around in a vicious circle.

Lost a number of matches today because DP would not come out.

3kdhi.jpg

LProtag

Edgeward said:
I think I've lost the ability to dp. I can't hit the corners anymore, so I get scared trying to AA and then just affects how I play which then goes around in a vicious circle.

I'm a little worried about finding the corners and the such when my stick comes in, as I'm not used to sticks at all. Also having only played American machines I've probably never used a square gate, so it might feel weird for me. I'll probably ride the gate naturally, so I'm already trying to tell myself not to even before I practice, haha.

LProtag

notworksafe said:
Use an 8 gate as training wheels if you can. It's a good way to transition from American sticks to Japanese.

I think I'm just going to jump right in. If I use 'training wheels' I'll probably become too reliant, knowing me. I'm probably going to spend a lot of time in training mode just grinding moves and combos early on.

notworksafe

InsertNameHere said:
I think I'm just going to jump right in. If I use 'training wheels' I'll probably become too reliant, knowing me. I'm probably going to spend a lot of time in training mode just grinding moves and combos early on.
Just practice moves until you can get them down 30 times in a row and restart from the beginning if you screw up.

And for real basic stuff, Gootecks' guide is always one to go to. It's very basic but there is a lot of good info in there: http://www.scribd.com/doc/40172774/The-Cross-Counter-Guide-to-Beating-Your-Friends-By-Gootecks

Satyamdas

Banned
InsertNameHere said:
You have the right idea. I grew up with the 360 Happ sticks in OG SF2 cabs, and the first time I ever touched a square gate was when I got my TE. I was so sure that I'd need those training wheels I didn't even try the square gate first, I bought an octo-gate before my stick arrived and just replaced the square gate from jump.

I don't know if it's because the lever is so much thinner than the old Happ levers, but reaching the corners in that octo-gate was a pain in the ass, and it just never felt right. Didn't feel anything like the old arcade sticks I grew up on. Slapped the square gate back in, adjusted to that bitch, and it's been all good since then.

LProtag

notworksafe said:
Just practice moves until you can get them down 30 times in a row and restart from the beginning if you screw up.

And for real basic stuff, Gootecks' guide is always one to go to. It's very basic but there is a lot of good info in there: http://www.scribd.com/doc/40172774/The-Cross-Counter-Guide-to-Beating-Your-Friends-By-Gootecks

I think you're the third person to send that to me. Haha. I guess that means it warrants another read-through once I start playing.

I'm also watching the... arcade something guy's tutorial videos. I'll probably watch them through again and practice the concept in each when I start playing as well.

I might also be picking up MvC3 and BlazBlue for cheap, but I probably should put those on the backburner a bit.

notworksafe

Yeah, VesperArcade tutorials are godlike. I wish more videos showed the stick at the same time as they are teaching. It makes everything so much easier to learn.

Once you get the basics down the other very important guide to read is the Footsies Handbook: http://sonichurricane.com/?page_id=1702. It was written for older games but it all still applies for current fighters.

Rocwell

Ok here's my contribution for the t-shirt gaf project:

2yy4gn7.jpg

This is kind of a few different possible ideas, different types of text, color combinations, outlines and so on just to give a feel for what I was thinking would be cool for the shirt. I can easily add or subtract anything at this point. What are you using as a shirt background to do those mock ups NWS?

Number45

Love those Rocwell. The top one with the NeoGAF logo as the ball top, but without the logo on the buttons (using the same colours though) would look great.

Still not sure you'll get away with the SF font though.

How about a grey shirt with neogaf written (two-tone orange and grey) with the capcom font on its own?

It'd look pretty slick imo

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Rocwell said:
Like so?
http://i56.tinypic.com/21n4orq.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Touching penises, can't unsee...

[spoiler]<- proud member of Juvenile-Gaf. Love the tshirts. [/spoiler]

InsertNameHere said:
I'm a little worried about finding the corners and the such when my stick comes in, as I'm not used to sticks at all. Also having only played American machines I've probably never used a square gate, so it might feel weird for me. I'll probably ride the gate naturally, so I'm already trying to tell myself not to even before I practice, haha.

You're on PS3 right? It's too bad-I'm on a 360 and we're coming from the same spot. After this weekend I'm down to a 16% win rate on XBL. Still having fun though.

USD

The next AE NSB, #28, will be this Friday night (or early Saturday for most of the non-US world), August 12/13. Same deal as usual, 3v3 single elimination tournament. Scheduled to start at 12AM EDT (technically Saturday for the US East Coast), but as always expect a couple of hours of casuals before. I've missed the past few live, glad I get to watch this one.

The next one after that will be the weekend of Tougeki (which is September 17), allowing the foreign visitors to participate during their stay. I'm sure that Mike Ross, Filipino Champ, Dieminion and LI Joe will all be there.

zlatko

Banned
Satyamdas said:
You have the right idea. I grew up with the 360 Happ sticks in OG SF2 cabs, and the first time I ever touched a square gate was when I got my TE. I was so sure that I'd need those training wheels I didn't even try the square gate first, I bought an octo-gate before my stick arrived and just replaced the square gate from jump.

I don't know if it's because the lever is so much thinner than the old Happ levers, but reaching the corners in that octo-gate was a pain in the ass, and it just never felt right. Didn't feel anything like the old arcade sticks I grew up on. Slapped the square gate back in, adjusted to that bitch, and it's been all good since then.

I had my stock square gate for over a month and I was grinding something hard on it, but I just wasn't consistent. Mind you I sucked on pad too, so I was thinking I was totally boned, but then someone mentioned an octo gate, and I went online to see it was only 3 dollars to buy one. Purchased it, and popped it in. Took me about an hour with it and I was getting reps of 30+ on any motion. Fits like a glove for me.

Start with the square gate, and see what happens in a months time, and if you're still struggling I say buy the 3 dollar octo gate. Not sure why you guys think an octo gate is "training wheels," because it isn't. For some people it works, for others it doesn't, same with how some people prefer pad and some go for sticks. Play on what works for you.

USD

Damn, Poongko's Ryu is nasty. Read just about every Lariat and landed a fat jump-in combo off it.

Then again, Ryu was his first character, so I guess not surprising that he's good with him.

LakeEarth

His spacing is amazing. It was Ryu vs Zangief, and he shot an EX fireball at the perfect distance to cause the EX lariat that the Zangief was likely to throw out to whiff and punish with forward fierce.

zlatko

Banned
USD said:
Damn, Poongko's Ryu is nasty. Read just about every Lariat and landed a fat jump-in combo off it.

Then again, Ryu was his first character, so I guess not surprising that he's good with him.

I'm curious if the great stream monster USD has any footage of his KoF13 play. I tried google and youtube, but didn't come up with anything. I know he qualified for SBO in KoF13. I imagine his play in that would be something else.

USD

Mike G and Adnan are going to play a $200 FT5 money match at Guard Crush this Wednesday. Pot monster battle.
zlatko said:
I'm curious if the great stream monster USD has any footage of his KoF13 play. I tried google and youtube, but didn't come up with anything. I know he qualified for SBO in KoF13. I imagine his play in that would be something else.
Sorry, can't help you out there.

zlatko said:
I had my stock square gate for over a month and I was grinding something hard on it, but I just wasn't consistent. Mind you I sucked on pad too, so I was thinking I was totally boned, but then someone mentioned an octo gate, and I went online to see it was only 3 dollars to buy one. Purchased it, and popped it in. Took me about an hour with it and I was getting reps of 30+ on any motion. Fits like a glove for me.

Start with the square gate, and see what happens in a months time, and if you're still struggling I say buy the 3 dollar octo gate. Not sure why you guys think an octo gate is "training wheels," because it isn't. For some people it works, for others it doesn't, same with how some people prefer pad and some go for sticks. Play on what works for you.

I agree with this. That guy should buy a circle gate or an octo gate. They aren't training wheels, just another form of equipment that is up for preference. If you look from an american FG point of view, square gates are training wheels for those who can't handle a circle gate :)

I grow up playing on Wico P360 sticks (which Golflands so kindly had installed, hehe), so I can't rock the square gate and loose sticks. I only just switched to Japanese parts in 09 (was rocking a modded MAS stick for the longest).

I have a JLF with a bat top, with 2 springs for extra stiffness and an octo gate in my big home custom stick. I have a circle gate in my HRAP that I take with me places (stick still bat-top and stiff springs).

USD

_dementia said:
Sim vs. Boxer, right? Will watch.
I'm certain Adnan will play Sim, but Mike G has been playing a bit of Yang lately, so I'm not entirely sure of which he'll go with.

LProtag

PalaceBrother said:
You're on PS3 right? It's too bad-I'm on a 360 and we're coming from the same spot. After this weekend I'm down to a 16% win rate on XBL. Still having fun though.

Ah yeah, sorry. I only have a PS3 or I would have considered getting everything for the 360.

zlatko said:

If it doesn't work out that sounds like a change I would make. I didn't get to play much of anything in arcades as there weren't any local ones near me. I'm in a really small city. The only time I did was an arcade at the beach when we would go down there for a week, but I was just a kid and don't even remember what games I played. So I'm not really used to American arcade sticks either, so I think there would be a learning curve for either kind of gate.

Thanks for the advice. I'll grind it out for a while and see what happens.

Satyamdas

Banned
zlatko said:

Nah fuck that. Square gate elitism and Sanwas >>>> Seimitsus all day up in this bitch. Matter of fact I also bought a bat top since that is what I was used to from back in the day, and that shit felt terrible too. So now it's all about that ball top/square gate/Sanwa action, son. ^_^

Enjoy your training wheels. :)

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
You kids and your octo-gates. Back in MY day, I wouldn't eat lunch at school so I could go to the arcade and pay 50 cents a game to learn how to play on stick. And I liked it goddammit.

So I'm curious all of a sudden: what kind of sticks did SF2 machines have, anyway?

USD

toasty_T said:
Poongko running through the cast now
Trolling that Sim with the Rog jab finish during the Catastrophe start-up and the Abel roll shenanigans against that poor Fei were hilarious.

LProtag

Lost Fragment said:
You kids and your octo-gates. Back in MY day, I wouldn't eat lunch at school so I could go to the arcade and pay 50 cents a game to learn how to play on stick. And I liked it goddammit.

So I'm curious all of a sudden: what kind of sticks did SF2 machines have, anyway?

Since there was never a local arcade spot to hit up SF2 when I was a kid, and I was a kid at the time of the big arcade boom, I never really got much experience on machines. Most of the time I played a little bit on my friend's sega, but it was mostly button mashing. When someone knew how to do a special move they were considered better than everyone else, haha. I think they used octo or circle gates here, but I'm not sure.

What in the... Poongko could win a tournament on random. He was linking shit with Ryu that I haven't seen before.

Oh shit he just picked Hakan

Top Bottom