• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
A month or so ago, I kept getting freezes during games. But in my scenario it was worse because I had to restart my 360 every time. Thought it was the console at first.

And apparently it happened to a bunch of people including Peaceful Jay when his stream was running that day.

gutabo

kevo_huevo said:
sucks. in my experience, the honda forums have been really helpful and informative. jewelman and mr snk provide some good advice, and gutabo is a fucking genius in the lab.
Thanks for the kind words and long live the honda army! :D

Relix said:
But....
Gutabo's as free as DBJ
I will take this as a compliment. Thanks to my "team lag" teammate, Relix! Wait for me, I'm coming back to XBL soon!

Here's why it wont work

1. its 10 dollars. the FGC is frugal except when it comes to games by companies they like.
2. If it goes out for anything longer than 5 minutes you are gonna have a billion tards laughing at the people who paid and potentially a few hundred raging mouthbreathers upset that you dared interrupt the content they paid you for (even if it isnt your fault)

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
AkumaHokoru said:
Here's why it wont work

1. its 10 dollars. the FGC is frugal except when it comes to games by companies they like.
2. If it goes out for anything longer than 5 minutes you are gonna have a billion tards laughing at the people who paid and potentially a few hundred raging mouthbreathers upset that you dared interrupt the content they paid you for (even if it isnt your fault)

Good point, hadn't considered the backlash from stream outages.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I'm glad they're experimenting with this, but I don't think the model they're using is gonna be as successful as it could be otherwise.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
notworksafe said:
100% support this! The price is a little much coming from MLG pricing ($10 a season of SC2), but it's a good start.

Just not having to see ads is good enough for me. I'm sure the ads will be during a downtime, but watching ads sucks. It's worth it to me to pay to get rid of them. HD is pretty sweet as well. I prefer that access to HD VOD properly separated by matches be added too, but there's no chance of that.

If people want fighting games to be the next big e-sport, then this is the future.
I have no objection to tournaments charging for their streams, but this raises expectations. In particular, two things come to mind:

1. Tournament Standard Time
2. Quality of matches

Once spectators become genuine customers, starting 90 minutes late or streaming Flowchart Ken-types turns into a real problem with the product.

I would pay $5 for a 720p stream I think. The price is not a big deal to me. $8 might be pushing it for an event though, besides EVO. But this 5v5 thing is pretty big though. I don't know if I will pay this weekend though, because I will be out for the Chargers/Packers game.

My main concerns are, if everything will be archived as normal. If I pay, I want those 720 archives available to me at any time, or give me a download link to them.

I wonder the future of this. Maybe they will do a EVO season pass next year starting at Final Round? (like the MLG pass thing?).

I see in the SRK news thread, the Canada Cup guys say they are paying for a dedicated 10 up line jus for the event.

Maybe if there is an EVO season pass, they can afford this for every venue.

And I say, if we are gonna pay, they should should get more cameras in the venue or something, or have different angles and shots. Just to up the production value somehow for the pay stream. Or have replays on the pay stream. IDK.

Interesting stuff.

Satyamdas

Banned
KidA Seven said:
The viper comment? I was hoping Saltyamdas would go in on it.

Fuck viper. :lol
No way dude, I know when I am being baited. ^_^

I do have to say, that was a master class troll by vulva. I totally respec dat.

El Sloth

Banned
Professor Beef said:
Once tournaments start charging for streams, expect viewer counts to drop like flies.
Not if i's done right. There's no reason why Starcraft can make it work, but fighting games can't.

vulva

Satyamdas said:
No way dude, I know when I am being baited. ^_^

I do have to say, that was a master class troll by vulva. I totally respec dat.
Would have worked better if we weren't already bros ;(

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
People should stop comparing different communities, different games, different genre.

Starcraft is for PC. Starcraft has a product to sell. Starcraft has corporation sponsors. And most importantly Starcraft has a company who works hand in hand with the community. Any fighting game really does not. Tekken comes closer than SF in that department even.

AkumaHokoru said:
Here's why it wont work

There's a lot of viewers in the community that used to be active tourney goers but have since settled due to family/careers that are very financially stable. While by in large the community is broke, there are enough people out there that see a value in this sort of thing that I think it can be successful. While we're not sure yet how the pricing or execution is going to be normalized in streams like this, the concept of paying for premium content in a hobby you enjoy (nonetheless put together by people you want to support) is very doable in the FGC.

FindMyFarms said:
There's a lot of viewers in the community that used to be active tourney goers but have since settled due to family/careers that are very financially stable. While by in large the community is broke, there are enough people out there that see a value in this sort of thing that I think it can be successful. While we're not sure yet how the pricing or execution is going to be normalized in streams like this, the concept of paying for premium content in a hobby you enjoy (nonetheless put together by people you want to support) is very doable in the FGC.
except you are forgetting who the majority is and NO ONE...is going to pay for something that everyone else does for free.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Most of the people in the community does not have the resources to watch a 720p stream anyway. A whole lot of them complain when it's 460p even.

AkumaHokoru said:
except you are forgetting who the majority is and NO ONE...is going to pay for something that everyone else does for free.

Except you are forgetting that people have both been donating(spooky) to various streams and paying for streams (SBO) the past couple of years. As long as there is a crowd willing to pay for a premium product (and it's been shown that there is) there's no reason to to offer that option as long as its cost effective and doesn't detract from the free product. Even if only 500 pay for the premium content, that's $5000 more in the pockets of the Canada Cup producers than without, which I am all for them getting some monetary kick back for putting together such an expensive and awesome tournament. Yes, the majority of us are broke, but a lot of people in the community (myself included) are more than willing to financially support events that they enjoy watching.

FindMyFarms said:
Except you are forgetting that people have both been donating(spooky) to various streams and paying for streams (SBO) the past couple of years. As long as there is a crowd willing to pay for a premium product (and it's been shown that there is) there's no reason to to offer that option as long as its cost effective and doesn't detract from the free product. Even if only 500 pay for the premium content, that's $5000 more in the pockets of the Canada Cup producers than without, which I am all for them getting some monetary kick back for putting together such an expensive and awesome tournament. Yes, the majority of us are broke, but a lot of people in the community (myself included) are more than willing to financially support events that they enjoy watching.

You can put me in that category. I work full time and $9 is not something I will lose sleep over. Right now it's not about having the stream in HD or be ad free because until we see just how good the premium stream is, we can't really judge its worth. But I plan to pay just to support the event.

Should it become a standard in future Majors? I guess that's up to the TO's to see if the content there providing is worth it. At least Lap Chi is putting his money where his mouth is and promising a event chock full of great international talent. To the point that that the number of international talent in SF4 probably exceeds what we saw from this past EVO.

vulva

I feel like Lap Chi deserves a lot of credit for really working hard to make Canada Cup a huge event. Considering how new it is, the hype behind it is massive.

notworksafe

Kadey said:
People should stop comparing different communities, different games, different genre.

Starcraft is for PC. Starcraft has a product to sell. Starcraft has corporation sponsors. And most importantly Starcraft has a company who works hand in hand with the community. Any fighting game really does not. Tekken comes closer than SF in that department even.
Wat? How does the game being for PC affect anything? Also FGs have exactly as much to sell as Starcraft. MLG also sells season passes to console games, and they have sponsors as well. Blizzard doesn't get the sponsors. MLG (or the tourney organizers) get the sponsors for the event. I know EVO has sponsors. Not sure about other majors, but I'm sure they do too. Your reasons are irrelevant.

I see no reason why the MLG model can't work for the EVO season of fighting games. Keep the LQ stream free with ads. Charge for ad free HQ stream and HQ VOD that is well organized. Genre of game or platform means very little. This model can be applied to any game that wants to be an e-sport.

FindMyFarms said:
You are one of the good ones. not everyone in the FGC is either willing or able. I know how doners work but they can donate anything unless its for a raffle in which case we are giving away a TV a Stick or something else that costs way more than 10 dollars which encourages people to donate for a chance to get something.

in this case its paying for a HD stream and nothing else which I repeat. not many will be inclined to do.

notworksafe

AkumaHokoru said:
in this case its paying for a HD stream and nothing else which I repeat. not many will be inclined to do.
It's paying for an HD stream, no ads, and all buyers are entered in a raffle for "fight sticks, apparel, and more". So it does encourage people to buy in for a chance to win something.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Lapchi did such a ground-breaking job making the Canada Cup a "World Cup" that I'm considering chipping in even though I can't even watch the stream live. Efforts like that should be rewarded. No way I'll pay for the vast majority of streams though. Nobody can even get fundamentals like on-screen bracket updates right.

vulva

scytheavatar said:
How did the hype for Sako started anyway? He didn't do exceptionally well in tourneys as far as I know, yet for some reason he seems to be treated almost as an equal to Daigo in Japan.
ever hear of a game called VS?

scytheavatar said:
How did the hype for Sako started anyway? He didn't do exceptionally well in tourneys as far as I know, yet for some reason he seems to be treated almost as an equal to Daigo in Japan.

He was a god like Vampire player with insane execution. He didn't compete in tournaments for SF4, but always had a god like win pct. He then showed up with Cammy, and start bodying people up with his insane execution and won Online Gods Garden 1. Came in 2nd in Gods Garden online 2.

LakeEarth

Whoo, off my ban. It collided with my xbox red-ringing so the last few weeks have been kinda lame. But glad some people in this thread recognized that I and others were gone. Thanks for that!

I didn't even get to reply when Momochi wrecked house with Cody. Damn!

About the $9 stream, you don't get commercials which really isn't a plus cause they only show them during downtime anyways.

biosnake20 said:
So for 9 bucks you get an ad free hd stream and get entered into a raffle. Am i missing anything?

You also get to support an excellent tourney effort, encouraging the TO's to put forth more great events. You also show that there's a market for premium content, and maybe they can start adding more features to the plate.

AkumaHokoru said:
You are one of the good ones. not everyone in the FGC is either willing or able. I know how doners work but they can donate anything unless its for a raffle in which case we are giving away a TV a Stick or something else that costs way more than 10 dollars which encourages people to donate for a chance to get something.

Not everyone has to be willing or able to, there just has to be a demographic for it. Even if it's a 5% penetration rate, that's still a lot better than nothing. I can guarantee you that there is a solid group out there that would be willing to support this, regardless of what percentage of the actual FGC they make. You have to keep in mind that the target for this are fighting game VIEWERS, which far and away are a different makeup of fighting game PLAYERS. I'd be interested to hear what Lap Chi's numbers on this are.

El Sloth

Banned
KidA Seven said:

Daigo said:
I am taking more holistic approach to my professional life by taking care of my body. I’ve changed my diet to macrobiotic, and have been working out to build balanced muscle. I don’t even drink any more except for special occasions. I have set a strict schedule for myself consisting of 8 hours of sleep, 1 hour of gym training focusing on weight lifting or jogging, 1 hour of bike ride between home and the arcade for each trip, 9 hours of game practice, and the rest is spend for eating, shower, and the likes.
Yo, ugh.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
notworksafe said:
Wat? How does the game being for PC affect anything? Also FGs have exactly as much to sell as Starcraft. MLG also sells season passes to console games, and they have sponsors as well. Blizzard doesn't get the sponsors. MLG (or the tourney organizers) get the sponsors for the event. I know EVO has sponsors. Not sure about other majors, but I'm sure they do too. Your reasons are irrelevant.

I see no reason why the MLG model can't work for the EVO season of fighting games. Keep the LQ stream free with ads. Charge for ad free HQ stream and HQ VOD that is well organized. Genre of game or platform means very little. This model can be applied to any game that wants to be an e-sport.

LOL. Okay. Top players in the FGC pretty much echoed my sentiments as I'm basically saying the same shit a top player told me.

What does it being on PC have anything to do with it? You think Dell, Intel, Nvidia, etc want anything to do with a console game? Would Intel fork $100k to help sponsor a console game tournament like they do for some PC tournies?
PC games sell PC products. Keyboards, mices, sound cards, mouse pads, you get it. Ever heard of Fatality? Only thing coming close to that is Marky with Madcatz.
Stop bringing up MLG. They have nothing to do with fighting games at the moment. If your reasoning were so on point, things would have worked out by now. MLG this, MLG that. Go tell Mr.Wizard what you just said, I'd like to see his reactions.

And let me repeat myself in saying Capcom doesn't want to play ball. PC companies do. Biggest difference.

Oh. Autodemon getting some of that Jlai.
http://www.justin.tv/kadeybaybe/b/298933120

broz0rs

ugh, i want to post the Marn vs. Floe Twitter fight, but just so lazy. I don't think they like each other very much.

Moral of the story: To be Justin Wong's BFF is serious business.

notworksafe

Kadey said:
What does it being on PC have anything to do with it? You think Dell, Intel, Nvidia, etc want anything to do with a console game? Would Intel fork $100k to help sponsor a console game tournament like they do for some PC tournies?
PC games sell PC products. Keyboards, mices, sound cards, mouse pads, you get it. Ever heard of Fatality? Only thing coming close to that is Marky with Madcatz.
Yeah, there's nothing to sell along with console games. Controllers, fightsticks, headsets, consoles, etc. Or there could be sponsors that aren't directly related. Soda companies, razer companies, snack foods, energy drinks, cell phones. The sponsors are out there. The FGC just needs to look beyond the obvious. They already started with gettng MeatBun, BrokenTier, and Galaxy4Gamers to help sponsor EVO. Now that trend of finding something other than game makers or game controller makers should continue. There are plenty of companies that would love a chance to market to a young male demographic. Mr Wiz and other TO's need to take advantage of that.

Kadey said:
Stop bringing up MLG. They have nothing to do with fighting games at the moment. If your reasoning were so on point, things would have worked out by now. MLG this, MLG that. Go tell Mr.Wizard what you just said, I'd like to see his reactions.
Should I stop bringing up MLG because they figured out how to get console events sponsored for big money? Or should I stop bringing them up because they have a proven model that brings in money for people to watch HQ streams of console games? The level of interest or competence they have shown pertaining to fighting games isn't what is important. The important part is that they have shown that it is possible to get major sponsors for tourneys and to get people to pay to watch them.

We (meaning the FGC and major TOs) don't have to directly partner with them, but we should look to their model for inspiration. The FGC doesn't have a lot of what you'd call a "season" but I think that the pay model can be applied to the EVO Tourney Season and would do really well. I'm not saying that EVO series should be pay only. I'm saying that HQ streams and VOD should be there for people who want to pay (maybe something like $10-12 per season, similar to your nemesis MLG).

I actually did spend some time at EVO talking to Mr Wiz about making EVO into a bigger event. Getting non-game companies to sponsor it, and even monetizing the stream and VOD. He mentioned that there are some big hurdles to that, but it was something he was interested in doing eventually.

Kadey said:
And let me repeat myself in saying Capcom doesn't want to play ball. PC companies do. Biggest difference.
Capcom is already playing ball by letting the tourneys use their games. Blizzard, Activision, Epic, Riot Games, and the rest basically just do that. There's not much else that we need for them to "play ball". They do have events where their PR people give interviews and that sort of thing at events but SKill does that already too.

Capcom is very forward looking for a Japanese company, and I think this trend will continue. They see that fighting games are making them money and have become more outspoken with promoting them and creating a news cycle around them. Ono tweeting, SKill going for interviews at big sites (and even little ones), and the Capcom blog are all steps you don't see from enough Japanese companies. I think that with some help, Capcom could be shown that making a huge deal out of fighting game events would only lead to them getting more money.

cHaotix8

Timedog, your avatar is ready!

17715196.png

Just IMAGINE the things that might happen to you while you use it! OOOOOOOOOH!

Crystalkoen

Seeing this talk about MLG vs. FGC reminds me of something I observed awhile back.

Sometime during the Summer, there was a big Starcraft II tournament. During this tournament's finals, the total concurrent viewers was somewhere above 660k. I remember asking a friend about this, thinking there was an extra 0 that shouldn't have been there or something. Nope, there really were more than 660k viewers. In my link below, it's for GSL 2010, but the emphasis is there: In that example, there were 779k concurrent viewers on the KOREAN streaming site. Doesn't count other sites. And this wasn't a finals match. Just one guy with that much draw that people wanted to watch his BRACKETS games.

To compare, EVO 2011 finals had somewhere just shy of 100k viewers, floating between 50-70k during Semis/non-SF finals. I didn't question those numbers, since they matched up with the EVO 2010 viewer counts (~90k during SFIV Grand Finals). Unfortunately, no hard link for that one, everyone was fixated on the total number of unique viewers. I'm pretty sure there weren't 100k people tuning in to watch Daigo, Poongko, or anybody else during their pools or bracket games.

Now, I'm no economist/businessman/whatever, but it seems to me there's a much larger audience supporting things like SCII than there is supporting the BIGGEST of fighting game tournaments (which isn't just one game). Well over 6 times as many people, actually. I understand that a large portion of that viewership is Korean, but that doesn't change the numbers (or potential profit, since that's the object of the current conversation)

Comparing the two really is apples to oranges. The MLG model works great for them, but I don't think an identical model is the way to go with the FGC. They don't have the same number of potentially interested viewers, and by extension, aren't as big of an event.

Data:
SC2 stream count info (from 2010, the 2011 numbers should be expected to be similar): http://www.starcraftinfo.com/forums/starcraft-gsl-news/just-how-many-people-watch-the-gsl-t154.html
EVO 2011 stream count info (the only number I could find is the 2 million unique viewers over the weekend): http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/04/over-2-million-watched-evo-2011-tourney-online/

I didnt know they were giving something away too. That will get the purchase rate up a bit. actually I didnt even know if they were raffling something off in addition to the HD price...I personally dont mind lapchi's effort to generate revenue but I dont think the FGC will get behind paying for HD resolution. I think the majority will be stream monsters who dont give a fuck either way and tend to have more disposable income but even they have their limits. Its nice if it works I just dont think it will be as successful as you think it iwll be.

Crystalkoen said:
Seeing this talk about MLG vs. FGC reminds me of something I observed awhile back.

Sometime during the Summer, there was a big Starcraft II tournament. During this tournament's finals, the total concurrent viewers was somewhere above 660k. I remember asking a friend about this, thinking there was an extra 0 that shouldn't have been there or something. Nope, there really were more than 660k viewers. In my link below, it's for GSL 2010, but the emphasis is there: In that example, there were 779k concurrent viewers on the KOREAN streaming site. Doesn't count other sites. And this wasn't a finals match. Just one guy with that much draw that people wanted to watch his BRACKETS games.

To compare, EVO 2011 finals had somewhere just shy of 100k viewers, floating between 50-70k during Semis/non-SF finals. I didn't question those numbers, since they matched up with the EVO 2010 viewer counts (~90k during SFIV Grand Finals). Unfortunately, no hard link for that one, everyone was fixated on the total number of unique viewers. I'm pretty sure there weren't 100k people tuning in to watch Daigo, Poongko, or anybody else during their pools or bracket games.

Now, I'm no economist/businessman/whatever, but it seems to me there's a much larger audience supporting things like SCII than there is supporting the BIGGEST of fighting game tournaments (which isn't just one game). Well over 6 times as many people, actually. I understand that a large portion of that viewership is Korean, but that doesn't change the numbers (or potential profit, since that's the object of the current conversation)

Comparing the two really is apples to oranges. The MLG model works great for them, but I don't think an identical model is the way to go with the FGC. They don't have the same number of potentially interested viewers, and by extension, aren't as big of an event.

Data:
SC2 stream count info (from 2010, the 2011 numbers should be expected to be similar): http://www.starcraftinfo.com/forums/starcraft-gsl-news/just-how-many-people-watch-the-gsl-t154.html
EVO 2011 stream count info (the only number I could find is the 2 million unique viewers over the weekend): http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/04/over-2-million-watched-evo-2011-tourney-online/

Well the Fighting game community is bigger than the competitive Halo community ever was. Right now, numbers for Halo are down since they aren't into Reach as much as past titles. Halo doesn't have the main stage that SC2 has and rightfully so since SC2 is bigger in every way. That doesn't mean the stage isn't big. It's still getting the same amount of content as it did in the past.

I think the overall SF community would get bigger than it is right now. More sponsors would line up and more money would be made for the top players. There's a reason why Sundance (MLG CEO) wants SF and Marvel. He knows the fighting game community is huge, albeit not as big as SC community.

Anyways, I'm so hyped for Canada Cup.

Venfayth

Also, maybe this is just me, but I'd really like to see an increase in the quality of casters. The spooky caster who replaces every other word with 'swag' makes me turn off the stream instantly. I prefer a more analytic casting style, but I suppose maybe a lot of SF fans aren't the same.

Top Bottom