• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

notworksafe

I'm not sure of how high the potential number of viewers is for fighting games. I remember when the only way to watch Starcraft (Brood War, not II) was to watch Korean tournies with Tasteless commenting on them from the sidelines. There weren't a ton of US viewers, just the super faithful.

When SCII started being a thing that MLG and GOM were bringing to the US and charging for, I was convinced that there was zero chance of anyone biting. I was proven extremely wrong. Both networks brought huge hype, big sponsors (who ponied up cash for tournies), and big names to get people interested. It also helps that the biggest names in casting (Artosis, Tasteless, Day9, DJ Wheat, etc) were brought on for their expertise and smart casting skills.

So just because numbers now aren't big, that doesn't mean that there isn't potential for bigger numbers if more effort and organization was put into getting people to pay attention.

I think that the upcoming EVO season would be a perfect time for something like this to happen within the FGC and could do pretty well if the planning, names, and organization are there. Not sure how hands-on Mr Wiz and the Cannons are with the other tournies in the EVO series, but if they can tie all those majors together along with the main event of EVO there is big potential for the scene to blow up.

vulva

Acullis said:
Also, maybe this is just me, but I'd really like to see an increase in the quality of casters. The spooky caster who replaces every other word with 'swag' makes me turn off the stream instantly. I prefer a more analytic casting style, but I suppose maybe a lot of SF fans aren't the same.
yeah but jaha something based swag

Crystalkoen

notworksafe said:
So just because numbers now aren't big, that doesn't mean that there isn't potential for bigger numbers if more effort and organization was put into getting people to pay attention.

I think that the upcoming EVO season would be a perfect time for something like this to happen within the FGC and could do pretty well if the planning, names, and organization are there. Not sure how hands-on Mr Wiz and the Cannons are with the other tournies in the EVO series, but if they can tie all those majors together along with the main event of EVO there is big potential for the scene to blow up.

On the topic of viewers, I can only go off my own observations at this point. In 2009, there were 65-66k viewers during EVO finals. 2010 saw a sizable jump (~30%), but 2011 sloped off, showing only about a 10% increase. At this point, I'm guessing we're not seeing a lot of growth because the userbase is becoming saturated. Hopefully I'm proven wrong next year.

Now, I think we both agree on your last point: It's a great time for somebody to step up to the plate and try to organize a system, getting as many onboard as they can. As a fan of the game, I'd love to see it happen.

I think the biggest issue with that however is the hard-hitting star power, or lack thereof. Sure, you've the names (and a lot of them) to love, and commentators that get a lot of love from the present community (and they thoroughly love the game themselves). But some of these guys can't or just don't attend EVERY major tourney (in the case of commentary, because some other group is doing it). Beyond that, as Acculis said, some of them bring a lot of energy to their commentary, but they don't make very good legitimate commentators (not offering much in actual game description/explaining what just happened for people who might not realize it).

Example: If you get people following a player like (as an example) Daigo, then tune into a tournament only to find out that guy couldn't make that tournament for whatever reason (another tournament, disinterest in traveling to the States from Japan, whatever), they're likely to question why they bothered paying for something like a premium pass at all.

It would be like having season tickets to your favorite sports team. They're scheduled for 13 games this season, but only show up to 10, without advance notice as to which 10 they'll be playing. After the first time they don't show up, you'll start wondering why you bothered with the season tickets at all, a feeling compounded further by each subsequent absence.

The prior example would really turn off the casual (fair-weather?) fan of the games, especially newcomers to the scene. Anyone who is a legitimate or long-term fan (has been, or intends to be around for awhile) will likely pay a nominal sum (maybe not 7-10 bucks a game, but I could see myself dropping 20-30 bucks for a "season") for increased quality across the board: video, audio, lack of lossy playback (slideshow matches), and high-quality commentary.

notworksafe

Thats why I think one group handling the EVO series would help a lot. Like MLG/GOM, the casters can be given a real paycheck during the season and be able to attend all the tournies in the series. Also the same equipment can be used to keep the quality of stream and VOD consistant. Plus this one group could just charge a one time fee for the season ($10-20 or whatever) and be able to cover and broadcast every event.

As far as attendance of players, that's something that can't be controlled. But there will be big name players at every EVO series tourney that are there to get points. That's why I think EVO series is a good test for this kind of model. Every event is going to have some big names.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Crystalkoen said:

I dont know where you are getting your numbers from, there were only 30k people watching the SSF4 2K10 EVO grand finals (on Ustream at least), and 85k watching the 2011 AE finals, that is a pretty significant increase. Sp00ky said he would have been thrilled with 50k for AE grand finals this year, it beat all expectations.

I don't even remember the numbers for 2009, but I think they barely broke 20k.

Anth0ny

Daigo said:
I am taking more holistic approach to my professional life by taking care of my body. I’ve changed my diet to macrobiotic, and have been working out to build balanced muscle. I don’t even drink any more except for special occasions. I have set a strict schedule for myself consisting of 8 hours of sleep, 1 hour of gym training focusing on weight lifting or jogging, 1 hour of bike ride between home and the arcade for each trip, 9 hours of game practice, and the rest is spend for eating, shower, and the likes.

All he needs to do now is win Evo and leave without accepting his prize.

As for the Canada Cup thing, $8 is a little too high. Honestly, I'd pay $10 for Evo, but any other tourney should be no more than $5. Or a one time fee ($20 for all the road to Evo tournaments or something).

Daigo said:
Of course, I want to win, but to win at EVO or to get an international title at such and such, etc. are not my ultimate goals. There are no ultimate goals. I only have a desire to keep challenging myself. I will never stop challenging myself.”

LOL holy shit!

USD said:
Yeeeeeah, I'm definitely gonna be garbage in Ver.2012. I'm too lazy to learn a new character, I'm probably gonna end up sticking to Fei and sticking to getting destroyed because of my inability to apply pressure or escape it when I'm on the other end.
Ugh, Christ. I had to do a double take when I read "Fei" to make sure this wasn't a Threi post.

Conceited said:
I dont know where you are getting your numbers from, there were only 30k people watching the SSF4 2K10 EVO grand finals (on Ustream at least), and 85k watching the 2011 AE finals, that is a pretty significant increase. Sp00ky said he would have been thrilled with 50k for AE grand finals this year, it beat all expectations.

I don't even remember the numbers for 2009, but I think they barely broke 20k.

2009 had 23k during GF with Daigo against Justin. I didn't realize there was such a small jump from 2009 to 2010. I always thought 2010 had 40-50k for GF until the stream went out.

Anth0ny said:
All he needs to do now is win Evo and leave without accepting his prize.

LOL holy shit!
I had Ryu's ending theme in my head as I read all of that.
KuGsj.gif

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
notworksafe said:
Yeah, there's nothing to sell along with console games. Controllers, fightsticks, headsets, consoles, etc. Or there could be sponsors that aren't directly related. Soda companies, razer companies, snack foods, energy drinks, cell phones. The sponsors are out there. The FGC just needs to look beyond the obvious. They already started with gettng MeatBun, BrokenTier, and Galaxy4Gamers to help sponsor EVO. Now that trend of finding something other than game makers or game controller makers should continue. There are plenty of companies that would love a chance to market to a young male demographic. Mr Wiz and other TO's need to take advantage of that.

Should I stop bringing up MLG because they figured out how to get console events sponsored for big money? Or should I stop bringing them up because they have a proven model that brings in money for people to watch HQ streams of console games? The level of interest or competence they have shown pertaining to fighting games isn't what is important. The important part is that they have shown that it is possible to get major sponsors for tourneys and to get people to pay to watch them.

We (meaning the FGC and major TOs) don't have to directly partner with them, but we should look to their model for inspiration. The FGC doesn't have a lot of what you'd call a "season" but I think that the pay model can be applied to the EVO Tourney Season and would do really well. I'm not saying that EVO series should be pay only. I'm saying that HQ streams and VOD should be there for people who want to pay (maybe something like $10-12 per season, similar to your nemesis MLG).

I actually did spend some time at EVO talking to Mr Wiz about making EVO into a bigger event. Getting non-game companies to sponsor it, and even monetizing the stream and VOD. He mentioned that there are some big hurdles to that, but it was something he was interested in doing eventually.

Capcom is already playing ball by letting the tourneys use their games. Blizzard, Activision, Epic, Riot Games, and the rest basically just do that. There's not much else that we need for them to "play ball". They do have events where their PR people give interviews and that sort of thing at events but SKill does that already too.

Capcom is very forward looking for a Japanese company, and I think this trend will continue. They see that fighting games are making them money and have become more outspoken with promoting them and creating a news cycle around them. Ono tweeting, SKill going for interviews at big sites (and even little ones), and the Capcom blog are all steps you don't see from enough Japanese companies. I think that with some help, Capcom could be shown that making a huge deal out of fighting game events would only lead to them getting more money.

That's why I mentioned MadCatz. Both MC and Hori even; are nowhere near the level of combined PC peripheral manufacturers. A lot of those sponsors, broken tier and such, are mom and pop places having been created specifically because of the FGC. All of them together can't stand toe to toe against a corporation employing thousands of people and being worldwide and all that in which any of them can and have ran tournaments completely on their own. PC market is much larger.
Why is it that top players are constantly changing or dropping sponsors? I'm willing to bet a lot has to do with monetary reasons in a way not because they felt like it. This is less likely to occur in the PC scene.

Like I said. Stop bringing up MLG. If things were so easy to implement it would've been done long ago. Both are different from the other and shouldn't strive to be like another. The FGC has a more ghetto vibe. PC scene is more professional. You're talking from a stream monster perspective. Your what ifs and hypotheticals are nulled. Much of the problems are behind the scenes politics that you and I will never know about but I'm very much aware of.

That's BS right there. Capcom isn't playing ball. Have you been paying attention to Capcom in the last year or so? The company isn't exactly well liked at the moment. What's the name of that long time high exec that recently left because he wasn't too happy about the direction the company is going? I rarely play games nowadays and I'm even aware of what they are doing. Giving people the option to play your games competitively isn't playing ball. Being actual sponsors and running actual tournaments would be. Being more involved even a little would be.
Seth and Ono are doing their part but they ultimately do not speak for nor run Capcom Japan whom do not see eye to eye with COA. Hell, if it wasn't for Ono pretty much begging, we wouldn't even have SFIV. You want Darkstalkers? Another Alpha? Pocket Fighter? It really isn't up to those guys. As with most companies, Capcom is about the bottom line. They do not give a crap about what the FGC wants or is as long as they are making theirs. I can only see Capcom giving a shit if numbers and popularity reach SC level but we have a long way to go for that to happen. If they actually cared about the fans in general half of their stupid decisions as of late would not happen.

broz0rs

since this hasn't been posted yet, let me do the honors

Yun match-up list according to Kazunoko

Ryu 6-4
Ken 6-4
Chun-Li 7-3
E.Honda 7-3
Blanka 7-3
Zangief 6-4
Guile 6-4
Dhalsim 8-2
M.Bison 7-3
Barlog 7-3
Sagat 6-4
Vega 7-3
C.Viper 6.5-3.5
Rufus 7-3
El.Fuerte 7-3
Abel 7-3
Seth 7-3
Akuma 8-2
Gouken 8-2
Cammy 7-3
Feilong 6-4
Sakura 7-3
Rose 7-3
Gen 8-2
Dan 7-3
T.Hawk 7-3
Dee Jay 7-3
Guy 7-3
Cody 7-3
Ibuki 7-3
Makoto 7-3
Dudley 7-3
Adon 6-4
Hakan 8-2
Juri 8-2
Yun 5-5 (LOL!)
Yang 6-4
Evil Ryu 7-3
Oni 7-3

1Uupl.gif
source: http://airryu.blogspot.com/2011/11/yun-match-up-list-by-kazunoko.html

FGC Twitter accounts blowing up as a result

sephi22

Karaface posted her old pictures on FB, for transgender awareness month.
In spirit of Transgender Awareness Month. If you were not aware before, photos of me "before"
657030939_537e289ae7.jpg

657030791_bf5b976bd3.jpg

That's pretty brave of her. The second pic is awesome. She looked like a friend of mine.

USD

sephi22 said:
Karaface posted her old pictures on FB, for transgender awareness month.

That's pretty brave of her. The second pic is awesome. She looked like a friend of mine.
<3
_dementia said:
Wasn't there supposed to be an interview coming?
Yeah, even she admits it's vaporware at this point, haha. It does exist though.

USD

biosnake20 said:
Hey remember when there was gonna be a Kara cc interview? Good times
dontworrym6eve.gif

"There, there, the interview will come out eventually."

"Really?"

*shakes head* "Never."

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Latest Excellent Adventures = Mike Ross talking about Dark Souls, bwahahahaha.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Corky said:
yooo ugh, link sil vous plait
Shit man, that's way too cryptic even for me ._.

Top Bottom