• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

V_Arnold

narcosis219 said:
I'd take insightful commentary over "LOL VIPAR TITAYS SPRAY HER WIT SUM MILK". That kind of stuff, in my opinion, is better suited for a youtube parody video or something.

You can be insightful and fun at the same time. Team Rush Hour is perfect. It's funny without "titty milk" and "fuck that bitch" type of comments. It's not supposed to be narrative. I can see that guile chucks fucking booms and is american, don't need to tell me.

It is not even the question of fun vs unfun commentary.
It is about not acting like a spoiled 12 year old gangsta'.
Yipes got encouraged on his bullshit instead of someone telling him that this is not the proper way to talk about women, virtual or not. And this is the outcome.

Rynge

Neo Member
lol @ people that take yipes comments about women seriously.

FUCK DAT BITCH x1000000000 = better commentary than james chen/skisonic.

oh man, people don't want to meet real gangsters if you think yipes acts like one.

V_Arnold said:
Yipes got encouraged on his bullshit instead of someone telling him that this is not the proper way to talk about women, virtual or not. And this is the outcome.

Ignore my post, this guy managed to articulate my point way better lol.

Rynge said:
lol @ people that take yipes comments about women seriously.

FUCK DAT BITCH x1000000000 = better commentary than james chen/skisonic.

Yeah, why even bother with commentary? Put FUCK DAT BITCH on loop while you watch. Much better.

Rynge

Neo Member
narcosis219 said:
Yeah, why even bother with commentary? Put FUCK DAT BITCH on loop while you watch. Much better.

you agreed that yipes acts like a gangster. opinion is irrelevant.

Satyamdas

Banned
narcosis219 said:
I'd take insightful commentary over "LOL VIPAR TITAYS SPRAY HER WIT SUM MILK". That kind of stuff, in my opinion, is better suited for a youtube parody video or something.

You can be insightful and fun at the same time. Team Rush Hour is perfect. It's funny without "titty milk" and "fuck that bitch" type of comments. It's not supposed to be narrative. I can see that guile chucks fucking booms and is american, don't need to tell me.
Someone obviously hasn't heard much Team Rush Hour. They can be just as filthy and ignorant as anyone, and god bless 'em for it. I don't care about your need for insightful commentary. Like I said, there is plenty of that available already. Do you REALLY need to have Chen explain that fireballs are used to control spacing for the 324677th time? Some (most) of us already understand what is happening on the screen and don't need to be treated like beginners ad nauseam. It gets grating. Hype dudes like Art and Yipes make the shit more fun. Matter of fact, Mr. G-rated himself James Chen fucking LOVES Yipes and Art, and likes to commentate with them. So I'll take Chen's ringing endorsement of them over a bunch of crazy sensitive whiners.

V_Arnold said:
Oh, please. "Gangsta"? Defending the honor of virtual women? In case you didn't notice, men and male characters get talked about quite inappropriately as well. Why the double standard?

V_Arnold

Satyamdas said:
Oh, please. "Gangsta"? Defending the honor of virtual women? In case you didn't notice, men and male characters get talked about quite inappropriately as well. Why the double standard?

Double standard? Why the sudden reaction? :D
If I find something inappropriate, "he is inappropriate with man as well" does not make his language okay.

Satyamdas

Banned
V_Arnold said:
Double standard? Why the sudden reaction? :D
If I find something inappropriate, "he is inappropriate with man as well" does not make his language okay.
His language is fine for the situation he is in. If he was in a museum or a courthouse or a classroom I would not condone loud, boorish language. In a tournament with adrenaline flowing and competitive spirits running high and a lot of shit talk flying around, he fits right in.

If that language offends you at all times then click the 'X' on that window, mute the stream, or stay the fuck away from the venue. Very simple. :D

XenoRaven

Look, the people that like good commentary are just going to have to accept that a bunch of jerks are going to ruin it for all of them.

The people that like boring commentary are just going to have to accept that they hate fun and like to ruin things for other people so that they can temporarily enjoy it then move on to whatever new thing comes along that grabs their attention.

There's nothing any of us can do to change this vicious cycle.

V_Arnold

Satyamdas said:
His language is fine for the situation he is in. If he was in a museum or a courthouse or a classroom I would not condone loud, boorish language. In a tournament with adrenaline flowing and competitive spirits running high and a lot of shit talk flying around, he fits right in.

If that language offends you at all times then click the 'X' on that window, mute the stream, or stay the fuck away from the venue. Very simple. :D

On one hand, I completely agree. And I DO stay the fuck away from his commentary.
On other hand, if someone behaves like this, believe me: polite language is not really integrated into his mind anyway, and that is BAD.

Was it cool when we talked bullshit to each other when we were 10 years old and were on the playground, after school? Yeah, maybe. Is Yipes a 10 year old on the playground? No. Then what the hell.

He is free to do whatever he wants. And I am free to express that slight negativity towards what he is doing (and not towards him). You do not need to go on a full force "fuck you" mode just because we disagree. It is really tiresome. (Talking about the original post, not even directed to me, ofc.)

XenoRaven said:
Look, the people that like good commentary are just going to have to accept that a bunch of jerks are going to ruin it for all of them.

The people that like boring commentary are just going to have to accept that they hate fun and like to ruin things for other people so that they can temporarily enjoy it then move on to whatever new thing comes along that grabs their attention.

There's nothing any of us can do to change this vicious cycle.

Why the need to act like there is no middle ground between immature shit talk and boring, over-analytical commentary? Because your sample is not big enough.

Watch some SCII streams. Check out Artosis and Tasteless. They are not immature, yet, they are funny as hell. Every time.

Vwso0.jpg

XenoRaven

V_Arnold said:
Why the need to act like there is no middle ground between immature shit talk and boring, over-analytical commentary? Because your sample is not big enough.
Because my favorite commentary team was Magus and Darry.

Satyamdas

Banned
V_Arnold said:
On one hand, I completely agree. And I DO stay the fuck away from his commentary.
On other hand, if someone behaves like this, believe me: polite language is not really integrated into his mind anyway, and that is BAD.
Why should I care about his mindset or morals or character? I am not watching a stream to judge a person's mindset as good or bad. I am watching to be entertained. Yipes talking shit is far more entertaining to me than dry analytical commentary. Not to mention that Yipes has done completely PG commentary plenty of times. It's pretty insulting to imply that his mind is so "bad" as a result of using vulgar language that he can never clean up his act and do clean commentary. You are way off base, dude.

V_Arnold said:
Was it cool when we talked bullshit to each other when we were 10 years old and were on the playground, after school? Yeah, maybe. Is Yipes a 10 year old on the playground? No. Then what the hell.
You ever see boxers promote a fight? Wrestling promos? Teams hyping themselves up before a game or even during one? When you have a competitive event going on, the level of discourse drops. Why would you expect some calm, high-minded, totally inoffensive language to be occurring during an event where emotions are running high and people are hyped up? I'm seriously baffled as to why you want something as hype as a fighting game tournament to be some stuffy and boring event, complete with announcers that sound like they are broadcasting a golf tournament. I want dudes that sound like Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler. I want hype and shit talk. I want commentary that matches the vibe at the event.

V_Arnold said:
He is free to do whatever he wants. And I am free to express that slight negativity towards what he is doing (and not towards him). You do not need to go on a full force "fuck you" mode just because we disagree. It is really tiresome. (Talking about the original post, not even directed to me, ofc.)
I'm sorry if my tone isn't soft enough or comes across as angry, I'm really not. I just disagree with the sentiment that foul language is some terrible scourge that needs to be purged from tourney streams, or that Yipes is some terrible human being because he said "bitch" a few too many times and it offends some of you.

Satyamdas said:
You ever see boxers promote a fight? Wrestling promos? Teams hyping themselves up before a game or even during one? When you have a competitive event going on, the level of discourse drops. Why would you expect some calm, high-minded, totally inoffensive language to be occurring during an event where emotions are running high and people are hyped up? I'm seriously baffled as to why you want something as hype as a fighting game tournament to be some stuffy and boring event, complete with announcers that sound like they are broadcasting a golf tournament. I want dudes that sound like Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler. I want hype and shit talk. I want commentary that matches the vibe at the event.

I'm sorry if my tone isn't soft enough or comes across as angry, I'm really not. I just disagree with the sentiment that foul language is some terrible scourge that needs to be purged from tourney streams, or that Yipes is some terrible human being because he said "bitch" a few too many times and it offends some of you.

Does "fuck that bitch" over and over and spraying titty milk have anything to do with a fighting game? If it is relevant, fine, but that kind of stuff is more annoying than anything.

If he said something about spraying titty milk when Roll uses her super in MvC1, that would be understandable, but what place does that have in street fighter?

Hype is different than some mindless, random blurbs.

"Fuck that bitch up" is more appropriate in wrestling and boxing because, you know, they actually are, but you don't see JR and Jerry spewing that drivel. I know you can't say that on TV, but nothing they say even comes close.

And yes, Artosis, Tasteless, and Day[9] are excellent casters that can somehow be really funny and entertaining without encouraging one player to fuck the other one up.

cackhyena

You're kinda asking these people to be robots, it sounds like. Talk about the game at hand specifically, and non stop or get off the mic. That's boring as shit.

"If he said something about spraying titty milk when Roll uses her super in MvC1, that would be understandable, but what place does that have in street fighter?"

Really? You're okay with what offends you as long as it's somewhat in context? C'mon, bro.

Venfayth

If you want to listen to people act like 12 year olds, I hear there's tons of those videos on youtube. Just mute the SF stream and turn on youtube in the background with the video of some kids in a playground calling eachother names and throwing dirt at eachother.

cackhyena said:
You're kinda asking these people to be robots, it sounds like. Talk about the game at hand specifically, and non stop or get off the mic. That's boring as shit.

"If he said something about spraying titty milk when Roll uses her super in MvC1, that would be understandable, but what place does that have in street fighter?"

Really? You're okay with what offends you as long as it's somewhat in context? C'mon, bro.

Those comments do not offend me. I'm fine with them. What I'm not fine with is how out of context they are. It's so random.

How's this conversation for you?

"Hey, how was lunch."
"It was good. I had some rice"
"I like titty milk"

compared to

"Hey, I just got to third base with my new gf"
"Nice, did you get to play with her titties?"
"Hell yeah"
"I like titty milk"

Still awkward, but at least it was within context.

Same with Viper vs. Sakura. Titty milk out of nowhere.

If this was a youtube parody video, go fuckn nuts. I'd enjoy such a video because I'm expecting random shit.

Like I said, you can be funny while still being relevant to the content. Stop taking things to the extremes. I'm not asking for a NO FUN ALLOWED sign to be plopped next to the commentary table

XenoRaven

narcosis219 said:
Those comments do not offend me. I'm fine with them. What I'm not fine with is how out of context they are. It's so random.

How's this conversation for you?

"Hey, how was lunch."
"It was good. I had some rice"
"I like titty milk"

compared to

"Hey, I just got to third base with my new gf"
"Nice, did you get to play with her titties?"
"Hell yeah"
"I like titty milk"

Still awkward, but at least it was within context.

Same with Viper vs. Sakura. Titty milk out of nowhere.

If this was a youtube parody video, go fuckn nuts. I'd enjoy such a video because I'm expecting random shit.

Like I said, you can be funny while still being relevant to the content. Stop taking things to the extremes. I'm not asking for a NO FUN ALLOWED sign to be plopped next to the commentary table
Viper is a MILF with big tits.

Satyamdas

Banned
MiniBossBattle said:
Darry is the worst.
Darry only bothered me when he was just saying dumb shit for the sole purpose of trying to be offensive, and only because he just wasn't that funny and his voice is super grating, but now I think I hate his hamfisted, garbage ass "articles" on iplaywinner even more. Like this one.

If I could roll my eyes any harder at this shit they'd fall out of my head.

narcosis219 said:
Does "fuck that bitch" over and over and spraying titty milk have anything to do with a fighting game? If it is relevant, fine, but that kind of stuff is more annoying than anything.

If he said something about spraying titty milk when Roll uses her super in MvC1, that would be understandable, but what place does that have in street fighter?

"Fuck that bitch up" is more appropriate in wrestling and boxing because, you know, they actually are, but you don't see JR and Jerry spewing that drivel. I know you can't say that on TV, but nothing they say even comes close.
When fighting game tourneys are sponsored by Coke and GM and Nike, and they are broadcast on USA Network or TNT, then you can bet your sweet ass that there will be no more "Fuck that bitch up!" being said. And you will not hear anyone complaining about the lack of vulgar commentary. But as long as these events are grassroots, put on by players, and streamed and commentated by players, you are going to get language that is used by players. If that is too dirty and offensive for you then too fucking bad, go somewhere else.

You guys are like some wiener kid that snuck into someone else's clubhouse, and you are offended at the fart jokes being told and Playboy magazines lying around. So instead of taking your precious little sensibilities elsewhere where you have likeminded people, you insist the kids in the clubhouse change their rules and behavior. I'm sorry dude, but fuck that. You are free to complain about language you don't like, and others are free to tell you to kick rocks and stfu.

narcosis219 said:
And yes, Artosis, Tasteless, and Day[9] are excellent casters that can somehow be really funny and entertaining without encouraging one player to fuck the other one up.
So fucking what? That is their style of commentary and more power to them. You don't see anyone telling Day[9] to use more foul language and copycat Yipes, so why the fuck should Yipes feel the need to copy their style? Because you prefer it? Great! Go watch more Starcraft then and have your fill.

Acullis said:
If you want to listen to people act like 12 year olds, I hear there's tons of those videos on youtube. Just mute the SF stream and turn on youtube in the background with the video of some kids in a playground calling eachother names and throwing dirt at eachother.
We don't need to do that because thankfully Sp00ky and others do not have a stick up their ass and they have no problem letting dudes like Yipes on the mic. I can't stand JaHa and his stupid "swag" shit, but I'd still take him over the boring ass vanilla commentary you whiny types are advocating for.

Venfayth

You do seem really pissed off, based off of your name calling, just saying.

Do you like the adventures of gootecks and mike ross? They don't exactly do analysis, but their commentary is entertaining and not irritating to listen to. (to me, as opposed to casters like jaha and yipes, due to their vulgarity and immaturity)

My point is truly that there is a middle ground, and that I don't believe anything of value would be lost if people casting would make an attempt to be slightly more mature and at least show some discretion that they are broadcasting to a wide audience.

Acullis said:

Do you like the adventures of gootecks and mike ross? They don't exactly do analysis, but their commentary is entertaining and not irritating to listen to. (to me, as opposed to casters like jaha and yipes, due to their vulgarity and immaturity)

My point is truly that there is a middle ground, and that I don't believe anything of value would be lost if people casting would make an attempt to be slightly more mature and at least show some discretion that they are broadcasting to a wide audience.

No, Saty's right, we're wrong. We're also oversensitive pricks who won't STFU. Okay Saty, I'll shut up now.

To the people complaining about the commentary: is Marvel 3 the very first game you have ever spectated? Because this "unprofessional" commentary has been going strong for years now.

Venfayth

Professor Beef said:
To the people complaining about the commentary: is Marvel 3 the very first game you have ever spectated? Because this "unprofessional" commentary has been going strong for years now.

In the fighting game community, yeah. I started watching competitive gaming a few years ago with halo / shadowrun, then I started watching SC, then SC2, now I've realized how fun fighting games are and want to get in to them as well.

My problem with the "fun" commentary isn't that it's offensive or has bad languge, but that it's neither funny nor entertaining. It's unoriginal, kindergarten level garbage that only contributes to the complete Idiocracy that is the FGC.

Saty's absolutely right about finding another channel if you don't like what you're watching. To that end, I had to drop Kadey's stream after tiring of Saty calling people homophobic slurs all night in stream chat.

letsbereasonable said:
My problem with the "fun" commentary isn't that it's offensive or has bad languge, but that it's neither funny nor entertaining. It's unoriginal, kindergarten level garbage that only contributes to the complete Idiocracy that is the FGC.

Saty's absolutely right about finding another channel if you don't like what you're watching. To that end, I had to drop Kadey's stream after tiring of Saty calling people homophobic slurs all night in stream chat.
You could just close the stream chat. Or better yet, use the ignore function!

letsbereasonable said:

Stream mods not doing their "jobs."

Kappa

Threi

notag
letsbereasonable said:
iQnzY2Y5Epfs4.gif

narcosis219 said:

So this isn't even about being "offensive". This is about being entertaining.

El Sloth

Banned
letsbereasonable said:
YeRT3.png

Venfayth

DryEyeRelief said:
So this isn't even about being "offensive". This is about being entertaining.

Well, I don't want to speak for anyone, but it being offensive is part of what annoys me. It's just sloppy, sickening, immature, and all of that contributes to it being irritating to listen to, and so I shut it off when it's a problem.

And again, for me, it doesn't really bug me that other people enjoy that, whatever floats your boat. I just like commentary that doesn't sound like its coming out of a 12 year old.

I always thought everyone loved Yipes commentary. You guys act like he says offensive stuff the whole time he is on the mic which isn't true. He also isn't on the mic all the time. Most of the time, the majors have Chen, Ultra David, etc... on. I like their style as well. I feel that Yipes compliments them when they're drained from commentating the whole day.

zlatko

Banned
Hey guys what's going on in this th.....oh shit. The commentary debate again?

This is the best:

TtCqV.gif

Everyone else is just trying to get on their level.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Chindogg and Saty were going at it but it was all in fun. Heated discussions are a staple of everyday work meetings.

Saty is the Mileena of my stream. Just don't talk trash about Dhalsim and praise Viper and you're good.

Lobby up soon. Where you at Chauncy?!

Xevren

Kadey said:
Chindogg and Saty were going at it but it was all in fun. Heated discussions are a staple of everyday work meetings.

Saty is the Mileena of my stream. Just don't talk trash about Dhalsim and praise Viper and you're good.

Lobby up soon. Where you at Chauncy?!

Last night was pretty funny. Every time I pop in Saty is either ripping into someone or talking about his cooking.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
letsbereasonable said:
letsbereasonable
(Today, 12:40 AM)
Reply | Quote

Oh my.

This is the first time I've been back in this thread for about a couple of months... not what I was expecting, but interesting to see peoples' comments nonetheless.

Internet arguments can be fun and all, but it really is a simple case of "find the commentary you enjoy" or "do your own commentary".

People who enjoy vulgar, OTT commentary are right.
People who enjoy perfectly analytical, contextualised commentary are right.
People who enjoy a middle-ground are right.

All three exist, and it's up to you to do more research to stick to the type you enjoy. WOW!

At least we have the choice right now. Saty said it before, but wait until fighting games get super mainstream and they are broadcast on TV with endorsements, sponsors up the yin-yang and awful chucklebrother commentary. Then you'll be sorry.

Satyamdas

Banned
Acullis said:

What would be lost is the personality that the majority of players and viewers LIKE to hear. I like Gootecks and Mike Ross, Chen and Ultradavid, Ryan Hunter and Seth Killian. Sp00ky. Skisonic. Look at all these guys who do great commentary and keep it PG.

But I also like Yipes and Arturo. I like D-Nyce. I like when Rush Hour talks their grimy shit. I like Henry Cen and Combofiend trollin hardbody. I like that we have this diversity. I don't want all of any one of their styles. I don't want Yipes and Art muzzled and replaced with more Chen and UD. I want there to be a compliment of styles, and yes, that includes foul mouthed and crass dudes. This is why the boo hoo hooing about Yipes rubs me the wrong way. For one he isn't saying anything that is out of bounds, and for another thing, he isn't on the mic for an entire weekend at an event. He gets sprinkled in a bit here and there. So the bitching and moaning about his language comes off as some seriously entitled/greedy type shit. Like that person should have every minute of commentary be catered specifically for their tastes (or lack thereof).

And on the flip side, what is to be gained from neutering our favorite commentators? And neutering them for what? For some small handful of complainers? I just don't see the need to cater to a small minority who can just as easily avoid the commentary if it bothers them that much.

narcosis219 said:
No, Saty's right, we're wrong. We're also oversensitive pricks who won't STFU. Okay Saty, I'll shut up now.
I do think you guys are way too oversensitive, but I'm not trying to silence you. You can crow about vulgar commentary until you are blue in the face. But I'm going to speak up for those of us who don't want our streams neutered and made bland and boring just to suit your sensibilities.

letsbereasonable said:
Great. So since the FGC is so infantile and obviously beneath you, why don't you take yourself to your local Chess tournament or Stamp Collecting convention where you will have to hear nary a vulgar or crass word spoken?? Perhaps tune in to a nice sewing circle stream? I'm sure there has to be something on Justin.tv that will suit your needs for G-rated commentary.

letsbereasonable said:
Oh noes!! I used a homophobic slur!!

Infinite Justice said:
im' shocked as well. Saty :(
Don't be. You'd be surprised just how many people in this thread and elsewhere (such as actual gay person Ricky Ortiz) use "homophobic slurs" all the time either in person or in stream or irc chats. When Ricky Ortiz calls people a "faggot" I really don't think he is intending to denigrate himself or other gay people. It's just another word in a vast arsenal. Is it a crass and ugly and juvenile word? Yes, yes it is. Does using it mean that you are a homophobe who hates gays? No.

I swear to god, you people who are "shocked" at the use of a word in a stream chat would have a stroke or a heart attack if you ever set foot on a basketball court or football field. And fighting games engender the same aggressive and callous mentality as sports since they are also competitive. So you can either grow a thicker skin when you are in stream chats or at tourneys where you might see/hear these horrible words, or you can avoid the entire scene altogether.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I personally feel you can be crass and vulgar without embarrassing yourself like ShinBlanka did at Final Round earlier this year.

Satyamdas said:
What would be lost is the personality that the majority of players and viewers LIKE to hear. I like Gootecks and Mike Ross, Chen and Ultradavid, Ryan Hunter and Seth Killian. Sp00ky. Skisonic. Look at all these guys who do great commentary and keep it PG.

And as said before you can add Yipes to that list also if needs be.

Satyamdas said:
Don't be. You'd be surprised just how many people in this thread and elsewhere (such as actual gay person Ricky Ortiz) use "homophobic slurs" all the time either in person or in stream or irc chats. When Ricky Ortiz calls people a "faggot" I really don't think he is intending to denigrate himself or other gay people. It's just another word in a vast arsenal. Is it a crass and ugly and juvenile word? Yes, yes it is. Does using it mean that you are a homophobe who hates gays? No.

I swear to god, you people who are "shocked" at the use of a word in a stream chat would have a stroke or a heart attack if you ever set foot on a basketball court or football field. And fighting games engender the same aggressive and callous mentality as sports since they are also competitive. So you can either grow a thicker skin when you are in stream chats or at tourneys where you might see/hear these horrible words, or you can avoid the entire scene altogether.

I was being sarcastic actually but i see what your saying.

Hitokage said:
I personally feel you can be crass and vulgar without embarrassing yourself like ShinBlanka did at Final Round earlier this year.

What did he do, could you refresh my memory?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I had this discussion with someone at work.
Some lady didn't want to hang out with a group because one of the girls uses curse words whenever she is talking, and she speaks in Ebonics as well.
I personally told her that as long as that someone is a good person and doesn't do anything to hurt anybody or themselves it should not matter how they communicate. We're all adults. There is a time and place for everything.

I'd rather have someone be true to themselves and let people decide whether they should want anything to do with said person instead of hiding behind anything.

Top Bottom