• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
When Zangief cosplay goes too far.

zangiefm.jpg

Haven't gotten around to posting it yet so here it is.

My stream match with floe at the LG Cup US Qualifier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szho52X_xxQ

And some casuals there with Mike Ross Blanka that someone happened to be recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqse0pfiQZw

Another tourney, another disappointing loss. I had the momentum each match with floe but just couldn't close it out. I guess its a case of him adjusting whereas I didn't. Ross ended up finding me later to play more casuals where he brought out Deejay. Wish someone had recorded those matches because it was the most effective usage of Deejay's footsies/pokes I've seen.

Why U2? I don't play makoto, but it seemed like you could have bodied mike ross even harder with all those karakusas you landed

MrDaravon

My awful Chun-Li record is up to 6-27 now lol. I will say though that the last ten games or so with maybe only an exception or two there weren't really any blowouts, and probably most of the rounds were pretty close either way. Also was getting in some good experience against playing different characters; I haven't watched a ton of SF4 streams up to this point, so some people I was getting bodied the first round or two because I was seeing stuff I was just completely unfamiliar with, like someone killed me with a Seth Ultra I have never seen in my life and I had no idea what the fuck to do. Also found myself starting to read people a bit, and realizing that I was getting predictable and mixing things up which definitely seemed to be helping. I still need to work on integrating FA's into my arsenal once I start to get a grip on things though, I barely use them right now.

All in all having a much better time then I would have thought even though I'm losing most of the time. I probably need to start joining Endless lobbies as opposed to just doing Ranked matches though, it might help to watch other people play. Probably the highlight of the night was someone who was taunting and barely won the match; I then got a rematch with him and absolutely crushed him, good times.

Satyamdas

Banned
Yeah, so far at least though I'm having a good time. FOR NOW

Don't let Threi bring you down. Dude is called Eeyore for a reason.

Everyone has bad stretches, and at this point in the game's life you are going to run mostly into people who have been playing for years, if not since the SF2 days. Most of the complete noobs are gone by now, so yeah, winning will be a lot harder than it was when the game was new. Don't focus on your win-loss ratio so much, focus on improving as you play. Pay attention to what other players are doing that is causing you problems and try to adjust and adapt. Pay attention to what you do that doesn't work and try to stop. Pay attention to your bad habits and try to eliminate them. If your execution is giving you trouble then spend a little time in training mode.

The worst thing you can do is focus too much on your win-loss record.

jlai

Why U2? I don't play makoto, but it seemed like you could have bodied mike ross even harder with all those karakusas you landed

Punishes blocked Blanka balls. But to be honest I didn't think much about which ultra to use since it was only casuals anyways.

vulva

My awful Chun-Li record is up to 6-27 now lol. I will say though that the last ten games or so with maybe only an exception or two there weren't really any blowouts, and probably most of the rounds were pretty close either way. Also was getting in some good experience against playing different characters; I haven't watched a ton of SF4 streams up to this point, so some people I was getting bodied the first round or two because I was seeing stuff I was just completely unfamiliar with, like someone killed me with a Seth Ultra I have never seen in my life and I had no idea what the fuck to do. Also found myself starting to read people a bit, and realizing that I was getting predictable and mixing things up which definitely seemed to be helping. I still need to work on integrating FA's into my arsenal once I start to get a grip on things though, I barely use them right now.

All in all having a much better time then I would have thought even though I'm losing most of the time. I probably need to start joining Endless lobbies as opposed to just doing Ranked matches though, it might help to watch other people play. Probably the highlight of the night was someone who was taunting and barely won the match; I then got a rematch with him and absolutely crushed him, good times.

are you on psn or 360 or pc?

Threi

notag
Don't let Threi bring you down. Dude is called Eeyore for a reason.

I'm not bringing anyone down. I am saying the opposite, that he hasn't lost nearly enough to actually say anything yet. But at the same time you have to know when to throw in the towel as well. "Practice and the wins will come" Is nice and all and would make a great afterschool special, but things aren't really like that. You can practice until your heart's content, and wind up getting nowhere. It's just the way things are. All i'm saying is if nothing clicks and the wins don't come, then just put it down and move on. It will benefit him in the end.

...but at the same time he could be the next daigo. Who knows.

So, I guess I have a silly question of sorts......

Can someone explain the whole kara concept to me? What is it? How is it used? When do you use it? etc. I feel like I should know it by now, but I really don't =(

So, I guess I have a silly question of sorts......

Can someone explain the whole kara concept to me? What is it? How is it used? When do you use it? etc. I feel like I should know it by now, but I really don't =(
It's usually when you cancel the startup of a normal into a special to give it different range or properties.

Satyamdas

Banned
I'm not bringing anyone down. I am saying the opposite, that he hasn't lost nearly enough to actually say anything yet. But at the same time you have to know when to throw in the towel as well. "Practice and the wins will come" Is nice and all and would make a great afterschool special, but things aren't really like that. You can practice until your heart's content, and wind up getting nowhere. It's just the way things are. All i'm saying is if nothing clicks and the wins don't come, then just put it down and move on. It will benefit him in the end.

...but at the same time he could be the next daigo. Who knows.

tuxcI.png

MIMIC

Banned

This :)

Anth0ny

Topanga SSFIV: AE Ver. 2012 League Details ( Daigo, Mago, Tokido, Fuudo, Sako, Momochi, Kazunoko, Kindevu, RF, Haitani, Bonchan, and Uryo participating.)

The league will stream every Wednesday night, all time below is based on JST/Japan Standard Time (+9 GMT), convert to PST/Pacific Standard Time (GMT -8) will be -17 hours from the time below. The league schedule dated as:

Online matches (R1-R6)
- Jan 20 – Round 1 (10:00 PM)
- Jan 21 – Round 2 (10:00 PM)
- Jan 22 – Round 3 (09:00 PM)
- Jan 27 – Round 4 (10:00 PM)
- Jan 28 – Round 5 (10:00 PM)
- Jan 29 – Round 6 (09:00 PM)

Offline matches (R1-R6)
- Feb 10 – Round 7 (10:00 PM)
- Feb 11 – Round 8 (10:00 PM)
- Feb 12 – Round 9 (09:00 PM)
- Feb 24 – Round 10 (10:00 PM)
- Feb 25 – Round 11 (10:00 PM)
- Feb 26 – FINAL (09:00 PM)

Winning rules:
From Round 1 to Round 6 online matches
- 2/3 rounds to win a match
- 3/5 matches to win a set
- 2/3 sets to win a game
- If players won the same amount of game, player who played lesser sets will place on top. If the amount of the sets are same, player who played lesser rounds will place on top.

From Round 7 to FINAL offline matches
- 2/3 rounds to win a match
- First to 6 matches to win a set (duece when 5-5)
- 2/3 sets to win a game

Nico Nico Live is pay per view video website, you may purchase the ticket with 500 yen per episode/Round or 3,500 yen for all 12 episodes/Rounds. More details about the league can be found HERE
Also check out tonight (Jan 18) Topanga TV for more announcement.

The detail of TOPANGA League's prize money was revealed last night on TOPANGA TV.

1st place - 555,555 yen
2nd place - 100,000 yen
3rd place - 50,000 yen
4th place - 25,000 yen
5th place - 20,000 yen
6th place - 15,000 yen
7th place - 10,000 yen
8th place - 5,000 yen
9th place - 1,000 yen
10th place - 500 yen
11th place - 100 yen
12th place - 5 yen

The winner will be awarded 555,555 yen, this makes TOPANGA League the highest-paid fighting game tournament in Japan. Before this, the record holder was GODSGARDEN Online #2 with 500,000 yen prize money for the winner.

In Japan, collecting entry fees from players for the prize pot is illegal, as it will be treated as unauthorized gamble. Prize money must come from sponsors, not directly from the tournament organizer. Otherwise, the organizer must give away prize money without getting entry fees. And when big companies don't lend their hands, this's the deadlock which is half of the reasons why the scene grows very slowly.

There's no doubt that TOPANGA League's prize pot will come from the pay-per-view streaming. This's the move that could change Japan's fighting game scene as we know completely. The league has players that viewers want to see, and not only one match. Viewers' money goes to their favorite players' pocket. All players are guaranteed to be paid and/or be on stream for weeks on Japan's No.1 streaming site.

Nyanshi, TOPANGA organizer, mentioned that if the first TOPANGA League becomes a success, we could see "B League" (2nd tier league) in the second season.

FYI... 555555 yen = 7,237.47 USD

More importantly, 5 yen = 0.0651373 USD

LETS GOOOO 12TH PLACE

Satyamdas

Banned
No YHC Mochi or Darui or PPN in this Topanga Cup thing fucking blows. Not that I'd expect them to win with dat mid tier Sim, but I'm like 74% less hype without a character to root for.

0hCqV.gif

I'm guessing they do have a sponsor to provide the guaranteed money(probably the same rich guy or some other rich guy), but they want to recoup the money being used to pay out the players by having a paid stream. I'm willing to support this but I do hope they change certain things such as making it more accessible to international viewers and pricing it a bit more friendly. I know the argument is that it's $6 per day and $45 for all 3 weekends. If you're going to experiment with something like this, I think it's best to not scare away your audience. But then again, this is targeted at the Japanese audience and maybe that price isn't that bad for them. But still I hope they can take some notes and learn from this. There is more money to be made if they choose a better model although I'm sure there will be plenty of stream monsters shouting "I gotta pay, fuck that shit".

But anyways I am willing to pay up to watch this and I've mentioned this before. We just need someone to figure out how to use that NICO site so we can have a GAF stream. About those pay outs, they're good but once you get to 10th place and below it's start to feel like a slap in the face. Seriously, they're going to say "here is your nickel bro :)", and you're like "uh huh :|"

Satyamdas

Banned
Happy Daigo

Actually, Art was talking about this the other day, that he's been keeping up with the sets from Japanese arcades that have been posted on Eventscrubs, and Daigo's been beating Sim players with his Ryu. I think he said he even went 7-0 vs. one of them. Even when Champ beat Daigo those few times, it almost always came down to the final hit and was the epitome of a coin toss. Daigo knows that matchup inside and out, and with a really good version of Roo in 2012 I won't be surprised if he doesn't have much trouble at all vs. Sim any more.

Art thinks the matchup is 5-5 now and I agree, it isn't anywhere near as bad for Roo as it was in Super or AE. But we won't be able to see that matchup in this Topanga thing, unfortunately.

>:|

Actually, Art was talking about this the other day, that he's been keeping up with the sets from Japanese arcades that have been posted on Eventscrubs, and Daigo's been beating Sim players with his Ryu. I think he said he even went 7-0 vs. one of them. Even when Champ beat Daigo those few times, it almost always came down to the final hit and was the epitome of a coin toss. Daigo knows that matchup inside and out, and with a really good version of Roo in 2012 I won't be surprised if he doesn't have much trouble at all vs. Sim any more.

Art thinks the matchup is 5-5 now and I agree, it isn't anywhere near as bad for Roo as it was in Super or AE. But we won't be able to see that matchup in this Topanga thing, unfortunately.

>:|

What has changed that has made it a 5-5? The higher fireball damage?

nvm just saw momochi

Satyamdas

Banned
What has changed that has made it a 5-5? The higher fireball damage?

Also no momochi/cody? That's blasphemy.

Momochi is listed. Dunno if he is using Cody though.

Not only the higher damage from fireballs but that they are faster, it helps Roo in fireball wars with Sim. Higher damage on his fierce shoryu also helps, and having his cr. mk back makes him a lot better in the close-mid range game.

wtf is up with Sakura? It feeles like everything she does is safe on block. I have never been so frustrated when fighting a character. I had to stop playing because Sakura sent me into a fucking rage. ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Wiseblade

wtf is up with Sakura? It feeles like everything she does is safe on block. I have never been so frustrated when fighting a character. I had to stop playing because Sakura sent me into a fucking rage. ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Aren't you using Fuerte? I've never really had trouble with Sakura. The round is pretty much over the second you get a knockdown.

Satyamdas

Banned
Sakura is the absolute worst when it comes to frame advantage and safe pressure. Adon, Cody, Viper, etc., they wish they could just spam tatsu for free all day like she does.

Top Bottom