• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

I've played a lot on both 360 and PS3 and honestly never noticed a difference between the two.

Maybe I'm not paying enough attention, but as a Gen player, I notice even a little bit of lag because it messes with Gekiro etc. I do have a wired connection though.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I've played a lot on both 360 and PS3 and honestly never noticed a difference between the two.

Maybe I'm not paying enough attention, but as a Gen player, I notice even a little bit of lag because it messes with Gekiro etc. I do have a wired connection though.

I A/B'd PSN and XBL with Super. PSN was consistently and obviously worse. Even HDR was way worse on PSN.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Man I'm still playing AE on PC and it's fucking glorious. I almost never encounter lag of any type, and I haven't come across any rage quitters or bullshit players. The only problem is that I don't think there are as many players on PC, and most of the players are far better than I am so I'm always getting my ass handed to me.

Izuna

Banned
wait_what.png

Rev.3 out on the 23rd =)

broz0rs

I remember when I would get so salty over PSN games when I would try to anti-air a normal with Chun only for lag to mess up my timing and consequently eat a full jump in combo.

PSN never again.

I feel like when in-fight the connections are similar, but the actual pinging of lobbies and the time it takes to refresh a page of lobbies is longer on PS3. Though it's been a while since I've played the 360 or PC version.

El Sloth

Banned
I hear that Wolfrone won both the phone tournament and the console one at the LG event. That right?

Boy came away with a $15,800 pay out in that case and a chance to win $10k more in Korea. Damn.

I'm terrible at SFIV but I just got AE for PC. My windows live/360 account/whatever is pheeniks if anyone wants to whoop my ass sometime

I fucking hate the Balrog match-up as Fuerte. I hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it!

Even though it doesn't feel like he has many wake up options, I still just struggle with those hard knockdown mix-ups on him, much less getting the initial knock down =(

Satyamdas

Banned
I hear that Wolfrone won both the phone tournament and the console one at the LG event. That right?

Boy came away with a $15,800 pay out in that case and a chance to win $10k more in Korea. Damn.
No. He won $1200 and 2 phones and prizes, but the grand prize money is for the tourney in Korea.

El Sloth

Banned
No. He won $1200 and 2 phones and prizes, but the grand prize money is for the tourney in Korea.
Ah, didn't know that. Still, the boy has been doing work. Hope he can go all the way in Korea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXxRkBPLezY

I wish more people paid attention to this match, after the disaster that was the WCW3 stream it kinda got forgotten in amongst all the drama, but it features such great play (also drunktecks) its worth watching again.

This was an awesome game.

Angry Ricky is probably the best player in the U.S.

Hahaha, shit almost forgot about that. Brought back memories. <3 Vanilla days

It really sucks that lordaborigine's version of the video is gone forever. He had the same match, except it had commentary. For those who forgot or never saw it, the commentators started laughing a lot at the lack of activity, probably joking around a lot. Towards the end they started counting down with the game clock. It really added to the overall fun of the video which the one I posted sorely lacks.

I miss the LordAborigine days. Also I saw this in his comments dating back 8 months ago.

Ov3rheadGreg said:
I have tried hard to follow&#65279; in your footsteps for AE footage. Thanks for the inspiration.

Cool to see that.

Izuna

Banned
Izuna (Ibuki) Various Matches 2

--

3 of my most stressful games from the Ibuki Training Lobby, these are the ones I came close to losing. The best matches were from my student RedCaliburn, I'll try to grab her matches for you guys. I didn't play very much in this lobby because I skipped my turn a lot to give advice to other Ibuki players. Join next time!

MrDaravon

Man, do no scrubs play this game anymore? I'm 3-15 online ._.

I'm using Chun-li and I feel I have a pretty decent grasp of the basics, and a couple of those matches were close or I fucked up and lost it, but for the most part it's just matching me against people that are waaay better than me.

vulva

Man, do no scrubs play this game anymore? I'm 3-15 online ._.

I'm using Chun-li and I feel I have a pretty decent grasp of the basics, and a couple of those matches were close or I fucked up and lost it, but for the most part it's just matching me against people that are waaay better than me.

I play Chun as well, wonder if I can help? Anywhere that you find yourself most vulnerable or is it that damage output isn't working for you?

MrDaravon

I play Chun as well, wonder if I can help? Anywhere that you find yourself most vulnerable or is it that damage output isn't working for you?

My primary issue at the moment is just not knowing matchups, what beats what, etc. Like for example I know her st.HK and df+LK are anti-airs, but I'm still not familiar enough with everyone to know the timing I should be doing and which ones against which moves, etc. Also on a couple of rounds I should have won what's messing me up is that I'm moving from a pad to a stick, and overall I'm doing much better with the stick but for some reason I have serious problems doing double QCF motions facing to the right. It's weird because I have no issues doing it facing the left. I turned on inputs in Training mode to see if there was one specific part I was messing up on, but no I'm just all over the place for some reason. That I'm just mostly chalking up to needing more practice with a stick though. But online the issue is even when I'm doing custom searches for my skill level it's mostly lumping me in with people that have thousands of BP/PP.

For whatever reason though this game doesn't make me mad salty when I lose like in Marvel or other games, so I don't necessarily mind losing as long as I feel I'm making some kind of progress. I'm actually wishing now I had stuck with the game originally (I played vanilla and Super for like a week when they each came out then dropped off). I'm thinking about checking out Sakura, but besides that I think I'm going to stick with Chun, I'm not really sure why since I'd probably have better success with a non-charge character but I'm enjoying her at the moment so it's all good.

Oh also as an aside since you play Chun; do you know if Hazanshu (HCB+K) and Kakukyakuraku (DF+HK) are safe on block? I haven't tried Hazanshu much online outside of trying to close distance occasionally since it doesn't seem like it's safe at all. On the other hand I seem to be getting away with Kakukyakuraku all day on people, but I really get the feeling I shouldn't be and if it's unsafe on block I should probably break that habit asap. Also I hate that I have to look up the names of her moves, goddamn.

My primary issue at the moment is just not knowing matchups, what beats what, etc. Like for example I know her st.HK and df+LK are anti-airs, but I'm still not familiar enough with everyone to know the timing I should be doing and which ones against which moves, etc. Also on a couple of rounds I should have won what's messing me up is that I'm moving from a pad to a stick, and overall I'm doing much better with the stick but for some reason I have serious problems doing double QCF motions facing to the right. It's weird because I have no issues doing it facing the left. I turned on inputs in Training mode to see if there was one specific part I was messing up on, but no I'm just all over the place for some reason. That I'm just mostly chalking up to needing more practice with a stick though. But online the issue is even when I'm doing custom searches for my skill level it's mostly lumping me in with people that have thousands of BP/PP.

For whatever reason though this game doesn't make me mad salty when I love like in Marvel or other games, so I don't necessarily mind losing as long as I feel I'm making some kind of progress. I'm actually wishing now I had stuck with the game originally (I played vanilla and Super for like a week when they each came out then dropped off). I'm thinking about checking out Sakura, but besides that I think I'm going to stick with Chun, I'm not really sure why since I'd probably have better success with a non-charge character but I'm enjoying her at the moment so it's all good.

Oh also as an aside since you play Chun; do you know if Hazanshu (HCB+K) and Kakukyakuraku (DF+HK) are safe on block? I haven't tried Hazanshu much online outside of trying to close distance occasionally since it doesn't seem like it's safe at all. On the other hand I seem to be getting away with Kakukyakuraku all day on people, but I really get the feeling I shouldn't be and if it's unsafe on block I should probably break that habit asap. Also I hate that I have to look up the names of her moves, goddamn.

http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Super_Street_Fighter_IV_AE/Chun-Li

look at the on guard recovery column. move is mostly safe if it is -2 or higher in frames of recovery. btw, negative means your character will recover slower than the opponent, in this case, 2 frames slower. + means you have that many frames open before the opponent can do anything.

shoryukens are 3 frames and i think zangief's piledriver is 2 frames. Most other moves like jabs are at least 3 frames, so that's a good rule to go by. You'll get a hang if the pushblock after a while, some moves will be safe despite having lots of recovery frames if you push the character far enough so they can't hit you with a fast move.

MrDaravon

http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Super_Street_Fighter_IV_AE/Chun-Li

look at the on guard recovery column. move is mostly safe if it is -2 or higher in frames of recovery. btw, negative means your character will recover slower than the opponent, in this case, 2 frames slower. + means you have that many frames open before the opponent can do anything.

shoryukens are 3 frames and i think zangief's piledriver is 2 frames. Most other moves like jabs are at least 3 frames, so that's a good rule to go by. You'll get a hang if the pushblock after a while, some moves will be safe despite having lots of recovery frames if you push the character far enough so they can't hit you with a fast move.

Thanks for the link, I checked out that page but apparently didn't scroll down far enough to get the frame data. I can't believe DF+HK is plus on block, that's crazy. Thanks for giving me some examples though, I didn't really have any reference for negative frames in this game in terms of unsafeness.

LakeEarth

For whatever reason though this game doesn't make me mad salty when I love like in Marvel or other games, so I don't necessarily mind losing as long as I feel I'm making some kind of progress.
That's completely normal. I think it's because you can spot the moments where you went wrong while you're playing. When you play Marvel, sometimes you're just at a loss about what happened or what you could've done to stop it.

Robot Pants

hahahaha I wish I could play like that! freaking Jlai always bodies me :D
but so does everyone else...........

eissan, who do you main? Sagat? I played a Sagat named Eissan Chui ( something like that) about 4 times last night. Wondering if that was you.

vulva

For whatever reason though this game doesn't make me mad salty when I lose like in Marvel or other games, so I don't necessarily mind losing as long as I feel I'm making some kind of progress. I'm actually wishing now I had stuck with the game originally (I played vanilla and Super for like a week when they each came out then dropped off). I'm thinking about checking out Sakura, but besides that I think I'm going to stick with Chun, I'm not really sure why since I'd probably have better success with a non-charge character but I'm enjoying her at the moment so it's all good.

if you're ever unsure of an anti air and don't feel that blocking is the best option (it usually is if you aren't 100% certain of which AA to use) then I suggest defaulting to cr. mp. Surprisingly good anti-air, only downside is that it doesn't lead to a knock down.

Hazanshu and Kakukke~ are both safe on block, but incredibly unsafe beforehand. Huge start up on both. Good for mix ups but don't depend on them.

For hazanshus, it's not a true blockstring but a nice mix up is close standing roundhouse in to medium hazanshu. Plus if you land the cl standing RH on a counter hit, those do combo. Just like every other trick, though, don't over do it since you'll become predictable.

Top Bottom