• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

LProtag

Got the game! No stick though... so I guess I'm going to just hop online and see if I get major lag or not.

And I'm not going to have any idea what I'm doing, haha. I won't even bother learning yet as I'd rather just start on the stick... so easy wins for people.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I barely combo. Ask anyone here. Even then I can hold my own and consistently win against GAF's top* and probably anyone top on XBL. I've won local tourneys. Of course I can pull out the basics... but its all about mindset.

*Fuck your lag excuses. :p

LProtag

Huh, no lag (that I could tell of) my first match.

So many accidental DPs on the pad... haha.

Edit: I played two matches and didn't get any lag that I could tell of. I think I'll do the install and then make the long wait until Tuesday when I get my stick... then I will grind. Forever.

Add me on PSN at LeadProtagonist if you want to help me, haha. I'm going to try to learn Makoto. I know next to nothing about the game. It will be fun.

Ashkeloth

I don't suppose anyone here could give me some Ibuki tips? I've read up on SRK and got quite far, but there's not much info on her normals there as much as there is on combos and advanced strategies, and some of the guides are for SSF4, and outdated.

I've got her vortex and super jumps down, as well as what attacks I can and cannot setup a successful vortex, but I'm having trouble with her footsie and poking game. In general, I find myself flailing around like a madman all across the screen hoping to land a s.lp, so I can setup her vortex game, but frankly, I feel like an idiot doing it.

I know b.MP for or cr.HP for anti-air, but besides that, I'm clueless (c.MP seems good at range to cancel into MK spinning kicks... maybe?). what are her good normals that lead into combos and which normals should I be using when I'm at a longer range?

I can figure out the combos myself, but the only real way I can figure out the chance of an attack getting out poked is by using it, and probably losing because of it, a lot. Which I don't particularly like the sound of.

I'm fully aware that Ibuki is a complex character and mis-timing one kunai throw will probably lose the round for me, especially with the amount of jab and shoryuken spammers online, but I want to learn her.

Noaloha

Checking my player data from the time I rebought SF4 and upped it to AE.

My supposed main:

C.Viper.
Number of fights: 76
Wins: 11
Win rate: 14.47%

FOURTEEN POINT FOUR SEVEN PERCENT

You know what's really great about that? I've been maining Viper since two months after vanilla came out (albeit with many on and off periods).

I. AM. BAD.

Does anyone else still persist in playing even though they are demonstrably terrible?

Axis

Ashkeloth said:
I don't suppose anyone here could give me some Ibuki tips? I've read up on SRK and got quite far, but there's not much info on her normals there as much as there is on combos and advanced strategies, and some of the guides are for SSF4, and outdated.

I've got her vortex and super jumps down, as well as what attacks I can and cannot setup a successful vortex, but I'm having trouble with her footsie and poking game. In general, I find myself flailing around like a madman all across the screen hoping to land a s.lp, so I can setup her vortex game, but frankly, I feel like an idiot doing it.

I know b.MP for or cr.HP for anti-air, but besides that, I'm clueless (c.MP seems good at range to cancel into MK spinning kicks... maybe?). what are her good normals that lead into combos and which normals should I be using when I'm at a longer range?

I can figure out the combos myself, but the only real way I can figure out the chance of an attack getting out poked is by using it, and probably losing because of it, a lot. Which I don't particularly like the sound of.

I'm fully aware that Ibuki is a complex character and mis-timing one kunai throw will probably lose the round for me, especially with the amount of jab and shoryuken spammers online, but I want to learn her.

c.mp OS neckbreaker is better than OS tsurugi i think; sets up the vortex very well. use it at whiff punish range. c.lk has good range and is special cancellable so using it at a decent range into lk or mk tsurugi is probably a good idea due to their relative safeness on block. otherwise i'm not sure about her normals...i think she's more of an "in your face" character without very many good poking tools outside of c.lk and c.mp.

edit: don't underestimate slide as a poking tool from safe ranges, either.

and obligatory youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBwiINYFLN4

Ashkeloth

Axis said:
c.mp OS neckbreaker is better than OS tsurugi i think; sets up the vortex very well. use it at whiff punish range. c.lk has good range and is special cancellable so using it at a decent range into lk or mk tsurugi is probably a good idea due to their relative safeness on block. otherwise i'm not sure about her normals...i think she's more of an "in your face" character without very many good poking tools outside of c.lk and c.mp.

Ah, thanks for your help. My issue at the minute is that she is an "in your face" character that is not very good at getting "out of your face" if you get in some trouble, and some kind of decent poke would at least give a way to remount an offensive after a knock down. Guess I've gotta be all offense all the time.

Problem is that when there's characters like Yun around that are offensive and have good pokes and footsie tools, I guess characters like Ibuki fall into redundancy.

Edit: No, really, thanks for your help. Turns out c.LK was the tool I was missing. coupled with the occasional overhead, c.LP, s.MK, spin kicks, or a tick throw, my mixup game's pretty damned strong now. Now I just need to work on getting this vortex to land 100% of the time and getting some actual hitconfirm combos and I'm set.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Jeffrey, solar dude and that Asian guy from Hawaii. Let's play tonight. I am so out of it but it should be fun.

Axis

Ashkeloth said:
Ah, thanks for your help. My issue at the minute is that she is an "in your face" character that is not very good at getting "out of your face" if you get in some trouble, and some kind of decent poke would at least give a way to remount an offensive after a knock down. Guess I've gotta be all offense all the time.

Problem is that when there's characters like Yun around that are offensive and have good pokes and footsie tools, I guess characters like Ibuki fall into redundancy.

she has a very good "out of your face" move...it's called her backdash lol

stand lk and mk also have deceptively good range but i'm not an ibuki player

score knockdown = gg's

Ashkeloth

Axis said:
she has a very good "out of your face" move...it's called her backdash lol

stand lk and mk also have deceptively good range but i'm not an ibuki player

score knockdown = gg's

Backdashes are great until they get predictable. Problem that I'm running into is that everyone online seems to always go for a crossup, which eliminates most of the backdash chance, and everytime I do seem to get one, it autocorrects into the crossup.

Axis

Ashkeloth said:
Backdashes are great until they get predictable. Problem that I'm running into is that everyone online seems to always go for a crossup, which eliminates most of the backdash chance, and everytime I do seem to get one, it autocorrects into the crossup.

what system do you play on? xbl? we can get some games in if you're in the US lol

as for the crossups...just do really late b.mp...if it trades you can stand rh > upkicks or command dash command grab

Ashkeloth

Axis said:
what system do you play on? xbl? we can get some games in if you're in the US lol

as for the crossups...just do really late b.mp...if it trades you can stand rh > upkicks or command dash command grab

Nah, PSN and UK, unfortunately =(

Regardless, though, thanks for all of the advice. I'm determined to learn this character, even if i have lost over 1000PP in about 30 mins

Edit: Just beat a 10,000BP/2600PP Deejay with my Scrubuki. I actually feel sorry for him.

LProtag

I'll have to play with some of you guys once I get my stick to see if I'm really lagging or not. Things looked pretty smooth, but since I have no idea what I'm doing I'm assuming that I could be lagging somewhat and not even notice, right?

Either way it looks playable online for me in some aspect or another, which is a huge relief.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Kadey said:
Whether physical or mental, abuse is abuse.

-=kicks Marky=- Here me roar! Meow.

Why are you picking on me?!

And why did you send me all those sexy messages the other night?!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
MarkMan said:
Why are you picking on me?!

And why did you send me all those sexy messages the other night?!

Why? I can't show appreciation for someone who has done a lot for a hobby I enjoy? Stay 20% off with that bowl cut!

LProtag

MarkMan, I'm sure this is probably a cliched statement, but I can't wait to get my hands on your stick.

Though I will probably start off even worse than I did on the pad today, haha.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Toodles said:

My supposed main:

C.Viper.

You know what's really great about that? I've been maining Viper since two months after vanilla came out (albeit with many on and off periods).

I. AM. BAD.

Does anyone else still persist in playing even though they are demonstrably terrible?
Maybe Viper isn't a good fit for your style.

Why do you think you're losing? What are your strengths and weaknesses as a player?

zlatko

Banned
Toodles said:

My supposed main:

C.Viper.

I. AM. BAD.

You ARE playing one of the highest, if not THE highest, character that needs crisp and clean execution. I mean I commend you that you want to stick with her, but maybe it's time to pick up someone less demanding on execution so you can level up your game. You can always come back to her after you get better from other characters.

I wasn't able to do any of Vipers stuff consistently back in vanilla, but now I can do super jump cancel ultras, and seismo cancel stuff. You'll progressively get better with her too if you play non stop, but I'm guessing you don't play often if you only had 76 fights under your belt. I probably have 7600 by now lol. :p

Noaloha

The 76 fights are just from the past month or so since I got set up with a new xbox/gamertag etc. I've played the various iterations of SF4 on for a couple of months off for a couple of months pretty consistently since I started. I have plenty of Viper fights under my belt. :p

And yeah, she's very likely out of my league in terms of sheer execution capability (I still can't get consistent instant-air BKs - a huge hole in her momentum game). But shit, she's easily the most fun character in the roster. I like Sakura and E.Honda too (the only charge character I seem able to wrap my head around), I play a little Ibuki and Makoto. Still haven't found a street-fighting soulmate, natural-fit-wise. So Viper stays on top just because even when I'm losing, I'm just waiting for that next pop->kick->ultra. So delicious.

And why am I losing? I think my brain simply might not be wired correctly for what fighting games demand - in pressure situations I *always* resort to 'snatching' at inputs, and I seem incapable of playing the game with a meta strategy in mind, everything's reactionary because my head becomes full of fuck, ha. This is stuff I notice in all sorts of video games also - I've always fared better at turn-based moreso than real-time. All that said, fighting games still have a snare around my heart.

LProtag

I did a little practicing just because I was excited to get my hands on the game. Pad makes thumb hurt. Can't wait for my stick.

LProtag

Cloudius12 said:
do you have access to PSN GAF chat yet?

Ah, no, who do I get in contact to for that? I'm probably not going to hop online until Tuesday night when I can actually start using a stick. Right now I'm just getting a small feel for how different characters handle offline, but I still think I'm going to stick with Makoto unless someone else really pops out at me. Haven't tried any charge characters yet, so who knows about them.

MIMIC

Banned
Toodles said:
The 76 fights are just from the past month or so since I got set up with a new xbox/gamertag etc. I've played the various iterations of SF4 on for a couple of months off for a couple of months pretty consistently since I started. I have plenty of Viper fights under my belt. :p

And yeah, she's very likely out of my league in terms of sheer execution capability (I still can't get consistent instant-air BKs - a huge hole in her momentum game). But shit, she's easily the most fun character in the roster. I like Sakura and E.Honda too (the only charge character I seem able to wrap my head around), I play a little Ibuki and Makoto. Still haven't found a street-fighting soulmate, natural-fit-wise. So Viper stays on top just because even when I'm losing, I'm just waiting for that next pop->kick->ultra. So delicious.

At least you're having fun =p

There's an anime convention coming up early next month with AE and Third Strike in the console room as tournaments. Thinking about going just to mop up the place, but I dunno if it's worth it to score a copy of Random Door Prize Manga or not.

Imm0rt4l

Professor Beef said:
There's an anime convention coming up early next month with AE and Third Strike in the console room as tournaments. Thinking about going just to mop up the place, but I dunno if it's worth it to score a copy of Random Door Prize Manga or not.
Well you might win one of those shota mangas I know you like so much, so maybe it's worth it.

LProtag

Must not get discouraged at not knowing what the hell I'm doing in arcade mode. The first obstacle, haha. I think I'll rest my thumb and pick it up again Tuesday.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Lostconfused said:
So I am having trouble with going from fierce punch into Change of direction when plinking the fierce punch. The only way I think I can do it if I do a QCF after plinking and using negative edge for the fierce input.

What I am really asking is that, can some one make the same input they were plinking quickly enough or is it just easier to use negative edge instead?\

Edit: This is the most depressing thing about fighting games. Incredibly difficult execution. Its like hey you can't play this until you press these buttons in an extremely specific pattern for a week or a month until you can get it right every time all the time.

I disagree, SFIV is not that game. All you need to be very successful is an easy situational BnB that you can pull off 90% of the time. The rest of the game is about spacing and risk/reward situations.

I would say that Marvel is more the game you are describing.

Axis

Adam Prime said:
I disagree, SFIV is not that game. All you need to be very successful is an easy situational BnB that you can pull off 90% of the time. The rest of the game is about spacing and risk/reward situations.

I would say that Marvel is more the game you are describing.

lol marvel 3 is not execution heavy either...game is simple as fuck, but that's for another thread at another time.

Imm0rt4l said:
Well you might win one of those shota mangas I know you like so much, so maybe it's worth it.
Y8d3s.gif

Top Bottom