• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Go Yun on his ass.

comrade

Zissou said:
At home:

1428977825.png
So beastly. How much do you pay?

Here's mine. $99 50mbps down, 5mbps up package.
1429158572.png

Imm0rt4l

Man, I played a little Ibuki today and I don't know why I stopped taking her seriously. She's so much fun. Gonna have to go back in the lab with her.

Howdy everyone! First post here but I have lurked GAF for years now and I have always loved the SF threads. My GT is Josh with a J and I am always up for some games.

Imm0rt4l said:
Man, I played a little Ibuki today and I don't know why I stopped taking her seriously. She's so much fun. Gonna have to go back in the lab with her.
As long as you don't get in the habit of only using 2 of her TCs, she's incredibly tricky and fun.

Imm0rt4l

Professor Beef said:
As long as you don't get in the habit of only using 2 of her TCs, she's incredibly tricky and fun.
I actually became kinda stagnant with her. I was kinda always dash mixups, tsumuji loops, and cr. lp, cr. lp, st. mk xx neck breaker---->tc vortex or tsumuji loop knock down depending on my situation. It became kinda boring, but after getting my ass handed to me by this guy nuckledudu who was using ibuki it kinda lit a fire under my ass. Ever anti air he did would lead to like 200 damage. I don't maximize damage like that. I gotta diversify my bonds. She's got so many tools/style points to take advantage of.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Fuck your interwebs...

*stares at his 0.001/0.0001 connection with distaste*

USD

Just a reminder, NSB28 is tonight/tomorrow morning (US-ish) time. Also tomorrow is the Southwest SBO Qualifier, which is supposed to start at 2PM CDT (3PM EDT, 12PM PDT).

And GODSGARDEN #4 is only a week away. The last invite slot is going to decided by a tourney at a-cho on August 14, but it won't be streamed unfortunately. Here are the vote totals for the Top 10, who all are confirmed to attend:

Code:
[B]Rank  No. of Votes  Player Name  Character[/B]
01.   17879         Umehara      Yun
02.   17564         Fuudo        Fei Long
03.   16790         Nemo         Yang
04.   14943         Tokido       Akuma
05.   13989         YHC-Mochi    Dhalsim
06.   13914         Sako         Yang
07.   13448         Kazunoko     Yun
08.   13409         Haitani      Makoto
09.   13379         RF           Sagat
10.   12155         Uryo         Sakura

USD

KidA Seven said:
So it will be 12 total players since Momochi won the qualifying tourney?
12 invites, 4 other players decided by the preliminary tournament. The prelim tourney is 64 player max, 2 brackets, top 2 from each advance to the main tourney.

USD

Not really sure who might attend, not yet at least.

Also, the prelim tourney (unlike the main tourney) is single-elimination, so it's win or go home.

Edgeward

Aarrrgggh, now I want it streamed even more. I would hope they would put it up on a-cho's YouTube channel afterwards. But that's probably not gonna happen either.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
1429517799.png

You can run the ping test too which will show you packetloss, which I felt improved my dropped frames after opening on the ports for gfwl. For x360 I just throw dmz on it.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
itwasTuesday said:
1429517799.png

You can run the ping test too which will show you packetloss, which I felt improved my dropped frames after opening on the ports for gfwl. For x360 I just throw dmz on it.

Yeah I can't even measure my sodding packetloss so that's how good my shit is. 100% loss.

edit : with that said, anyone up for some matches? I'd like to see how my eu connection holds up against someone on, let's say the eastcoast or something. Since I'm in the ranbats I might aswell try it out and not be shocked at the gelatinous connection when it finally starts :(

GFWL id : corcy100

Chavelo said:
Jesus christ am I pissed off right now... Usually I get pretty good matches with my cousin offline, but why the fuck did he decided to go with a keepaway akuma today? He didn't win a single fucking match, but when he kept doing the same bullshit (jump away and hadoken, jump away and hadoken, JUMP FUCKING AWAY AND THROW PLASMA LIKE A BITCH) and not actually fighting like he usually does (his Sagat keeps away too, but at least he gets close and blows me up), I had to just close the AE PC window and told him to get the fuck out of my room.

You don't do that shit offline, man. That's for trolling online. >:-(

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/rage/grand/17815982_rage_gif.gif
I don't understand how you can get salty over a win

USD

Satyamdas said:
Is GodsGarden #4 in the same format as last time? 1st to 10 style? Cause that shit is godlike. ^_^
That format was for the online tournaments. The main tournament for GG#4 is the same as US tournaments (and the other offline GG tournaments that proceeded it), for the most part: double-elim, best 2-of-3. The GG systems has a few twists to it though, like the ability to waive matches. I'm too lazy to look up the exact rules though.

There hasn't been an offline GODSGARDEN tournament for a while though, not since #2.5, and that was for SSFIV.

As for the winners of the previous SFIV tournaments (#3 was for Tekken 6):

GODSGARDEN #1 (SFIV): Mago (Uryo)
GODSGARDEN #2 (SFIV): Tokido (Uryo)
GODSGARDEN #2.5 (SSFIV): Nemo (ACQUA)

ONLINE #1 (SSFIV): Sako (YHC-Mochi)
ONLINE #2 (SSFIV, round-robin):
1. Mago
2. Sako
3. Uryo
4. YHC-Mochi
5. Umehara
5. Momochi

ShinAmano

Asked earlier didn't get a response...is there a place that has images of all of the DLC outfits and which packs they come in...also is there a comprehensive DLC for all outfits?

LProtag

Huh, my pingtest wasn't so bad at all:

Game is out for delivery on the UPS truck but my stick isn't getting here until Tuesday so I probably won't really start playing. Does anyone want to help me test my connection speed and what not later though? I'd appreciate it.

USD

ShinAmano said:
Asked earlier didn't get a response...is there a place that has images of all of the DLC outfits and which packs they come in...also is there a comprehensive DLC for all outfits?
For the latter question, on PC, yes, for ~$15. For 360 or PS3? No, so assuming you're starting from scratch, it will run you around $50 for all of the costumes.

ShinAmano

USD said:
For the latter question, on PC, yes, for ~$15. For 360 or PS3? No, so assuming you're starting from scratch, it will run you around $50 for all of the costumes.
Holy shit really?

That is crazy...which also leads to the initial question...is there a place to view the outfits so I can cherry pick?

Number45

Blimey, Zavvi have shipped my Round 2 TE - wasn't expecting it for ages. Not bad for £95 all in (retail over here is £150). Of course, now I'm on holiday for two weeks... :'(

KidA Seven said:
I mean as in it's really him. It's true that it's his official twitter, but that is different from it actually being him behind the tweets. It could be shared in that someone will make the English tweets. Sort of like Ronaldo. It's his official twitter, but his pr team is behind the tweets.

Not that it really matters.
Are you trying to tell me that this isn't really the Dalai Lama? I feel less spiritually complete already. :'(

USD

If you did want to buy all the costume packs, you'd need four packs: Complete Alternate Costume Pack (from SFIV), the Super Complete Costume Pack, the Ultra Complete Costume Pack, and the Arcade Challengers Pack (which you have to purchase through in-game menu, at least on 360). But yeah, that's $52.50 for all of them.

I'm still waiting for the costumes to be on the XBL Deal of Week, haha. Still hasn't happened yet, might never. I could go with individual packs, but I'm a whore, it's all or nothing.

Sucks that there isnt at least the compiled costume packs with all the costumes from each set like Shoryuken pack or whatever. On PC at least you can get all your characters costumes for $6 (and whoever else is a part of that set).

I think they're going to re-do the prices on PSN/XBLA to make them like the PC prices. Heard it somewhere but I can't remember where exactly.

toasty_T said:
Sucks that there isnt at least the compiled costume packs with all the costumes from each set like Shoryuken pack or whatever. On PC at least you can get all your characters costumes for $6 (and whoever else is a part of that set).

I think they're going to re-do the prices on PSN/XBLA to make them like the PC prices. Heard it somewhere but I can't remember where exactly.
That would be awesome if true. I love the costumes, but none of my friends have them so I can't show them off online :(

Chavelo said:
Jesus christ am I pissed off right now... Usually I get pretty good matches with my cousin offline, but why the fuck did he decided to go with a keepaway akuma today? He didn't win a single fucking match, but when he kept doing the same bullshit (jump away and hadoken, jump away and hadoken, JUMP FUCKING AWAY AND THROW PLASMA LIKE A BITCH) and not actually fighting like he usually does (his Sagat keeps away too, but at least he gets close and blows me up), I had to just close the AE PC window and told him to get the fuck out of my room.

Successful troll was successful. Though I agree that shit is just plain annoying.

So I am having trouble with going from fierce punch into Change of direction when plinking the fierce punch. The only way I think I can do it if I do a QCF after plinking and using negative edge for the fierce input.

What I am really asking is that, can some one make the same input they were plinking quickly enough or is it just easier to use negative edge instead?\

Edit: This is the most depressing thing about fighting games. Incredibly difficult execution. Its like hey you can't play this until you press these buttons in an extremely specific pattern for a week or a month until you can get it right every time all the time.

rivals

Lostconfused said:
So I am having trouble with going from fierce punch into Change of direction when plinking the fierce punch. The only way I think I can do it if I do a QCF after plinking and using negative edge for the fierce input.

What I am really asking is that, can some one make the same input they were plinking quickly enough or is it just easier to use negative edge instead?

Using negative edge with plinking can be tricky because you have to make sure that you don't let go of both buttons at the same time or you'll get the EX version of the special. When I was playing Rufus I plink+negative edged his bnb and I did something like this:

hit fierce with middle finger + plink strong with pointer
(pointer finger would just tap strong and quickly let go)
input QCF
let go of fierce

rivals said:
Using negative edge with plinking can be tricky because you have to make sure that you don't let go of both buttons at the same time or you'll get the EX version of the special. When I was playing Rufus I plink+negative edged his bnb and I did something like this:
Oh I figured out that much. I mean I tried using negative edge to see if it would actually work. I just don't think I can input fierce again quickly enough to cancel into change of direction without using negative edge.

Chavelo said:

17815982_rage_gif.gif

SamVimes

Oh I figured out that much. I mean I tried using negative edge to see if it would actually work. I just don't think I can input fierce again quickly enough to cancel into change of direction without using negative edge.
You can keep pressing MP and release just HP.

I do it without negative edge though, i find it easier.

Lostconfused said:
Edit: This is the most depressing thing about fighting games. Incredibly difficult execution. Its like hey you can't play this until you press these buttons in an extremely specific pattern for a week or a month until you can get it right every time all the time.

Can you perform COD by itself consistently?

Sblargh

Banned
Ok, I have a general problem against Guile. I play Sakura, Makoto and Rose and can't break noob Guiles with any of them. They just sit there turtling and are invulnerable to all my shenanigans, also, their "walk inside sonic boom" shenanigans just destroys me. At best I block and they are totally free to keep the pressure.
Tips?

Edit: "any of them" is a bit of exageration, once I get in with Sakura I can pretty much do whatever I want, but getting in seems like too much trouble, I feel like I just don't know some obvious weakness.

zlatko

Banned
Lostconfused said:

Fierce punch into COD is the same as fierce punch into hadouken. Can you pick Ryu and stand by the CPU to do a hard punch and do the hado motion? Just go fast is all there is to it. This game is pretty generous that if u miss an input for the QCF that you'll probably still get what you wanted. You can cancel into COD off of most of his normals and crouching normals too.

Speed is key.

Lostconfused said:

I applaud your willingness to get better. But in my experience you are putting a little too much on execution. That fear of execution is what put me off from ever playing fighting games before SFIV. However, when I finally started up I found that with the large player pool that got back into the game with SFIV you can win plenty of matches online without having to learn any difficult combos. I just focus on the best execution trade offs for damage, if something gets me 75% of the damage and requires only 20% of the timing that is a trade off that I'll take every time. My life is just too busy to be a training mode warrior and I love to compete, so I just try to learn a basic combo or two for a character and then just jump into it online.

My thought is that what I learn about matchups, baiting, proper reads, saying cool under pressure and what not from actual matches benefits my game much more than the same amount of time spent in training mode mastering some nasty combo.

Don't get me wrong, at the upper levels of online or offline play you will need those nasty combos to survive, but I think that saying that "incredibly difficult execution" is required to play and enjoy SFIV is a bit of an exaggeration.

Top Bottom