• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Onemic

Thanks for all the quick and detailed responses everyone!

Also, any suggestions for a fun character to eventually main? I heard that it's the best to pick the character you're most comfortable with, but that's probably not a big factor now I'm still pretty much a clean slate.

'Fun' is pretty hard to qualify, but I'm looking (I think) for a character that has a varied playstyle (instead of spamming the same attacks over and over) and who is a bit unpredictable, both in fighting style as in usage (e.g. not Ryu or top 5 characters), so I can screw with opponents a little.

Makoto

good luck

Edgeward

Also, any suggestions for a fun character to eventually main? I heard that it's the best to pick the character you're most comfortable with, but that's probably not a big factor now I'm still pretty much a clean slate.

'Fun' is pretty hard to qualify, but I'm looking (I think) for a character that has a varied playstyle (instead of spamming the same attacks over and over) and who is a bit unpredictable, both in fighting style as in usage (e.g. not Ryu or top 5 characters), so I can screw with opponents a little.

Seth

GGs Rice. One day you'll land that U1 corner juggle.

Still need to work on keeping people out. I fight out of the corner too often.

Kioshen

I just got off. :V

Well that's too bad :(. I'm sure we'll play some day.

ggs Kioshen, still got a lot of work to do in the lab.

Ggs dude. Now that I have played a couple of matches to get it out of my system, I'm sheepishly going back to Ryu to work on my fundamentals. We both need to work on our AA game stat lol.

You got PC? That's all I can play on right now. No Xbox Live and my bro borrowed my PS3. Anybody else down for some casuals?

Aw man I was still on. I should have messaged you.

-------------------------

Also good lord over 30% of the matches I've faced have been against Akuma's on ranked PC. I was not helping by playing Ryu (I was switching to Cody to vary things a little bit ...) but still that was funny.

xCobalt

A good mix of fun and unpredictable (ie making your opponent guess), I'd say Dudley or Sakura.

I'd try doing everyones trial though. Pick who you find visually appealing and work from there.

GGs to Edge and Jlai. I played Edge first and after a while he says he's done. So I play ranked for a bit and Jlai shows up and we do the same thing for another 2 hours. Twas fun though, except both guys owned me. I've been concentrating on Yun so I'm going through some growing pains right now. It didn't help that Edge plays Sagat and Jlai presses buttons so often with anybody he plays.

jlai

GGs to Edge and Jlai. I played Edge first and after a while he says he's done. So I play ranked for a bit and Jlai shows up and we do the same thing for another 2 hours. Twas fun though, except both guys owned me. I've been concentrating on Yun so I'm going through some growing pains right now. It didn't help that Edge plays Sagat and Jlai presses buttons so often with anybody he plays.

All calculated button presses! You seem to have the ambiguous dive kick pressure and setups down pat but I didn't see a single Genei Jin in that whole session

All calculated button presses! You seem to have the ambiguous dive kick pressure and setups down pat but I didn't see a single Genei Jin in that whole session

I've been practicing it in training mode, and I drop it most of the time. I'm just not ready to use it in a actual match. I also need to learn safe jump set ups and some other stuff. Whenever I threw you in the corner, I was like "Wait, how did it go again?".

Okay, I've been practicing with Ryu for a bit, especially the crouching medium kick > hadouken combo, but I'm struggling a little. If I understood this correctly, a combo is a string of attacks where the opponent is stunned long enough between each hit so he is not able to block, right? However, when I set the practice dummy to 'auto-block', he always blocks the hadouken after the kick, even if I'm in his face and use the light punch version. Am I just not fast enough or am I missing something?

Also, when my stick is pushed downwards for the crouching medium kick, can I use that position to immediately do my hadouken from or do I need to center the stick and push it down again?

Onemic

Okay, I've been practicing with Ryu for a bit, especially the crouching medium kick > hadouken combo, but I'm struggling a little. If I understood this correctly, a combo is a string of attacks where the opponent is stunned long enough between each hit so he is not able to block, right? However, when I set the practice dummy to 'auto-block', he always blocks the hadouken after the kick, even if I'm in his face and use the light punch version. Am I just not fast enough or am I missing something?

Also, when my stick is pushed downwards for the crouching medium kick, can I use that position to immediately do my hadouken from or do I need to center the stick and push it down again?

You have to 'cancel' the mk, so that means you input the hadouken motion during the active frames of the mk (do the hadouken motion immediately). If the dummy is blocking it, it means you aren't doing it fast enough. Since you're crouching you really just need to do down-forward, forward, since part of the motion is already done by you crouching.

You have to 'cancel' the mk, so that means you input the hadouken motion during the active frames of the mk (do the hadouken motion immediately). If the dummy is blocking it, it means you aren't doing it fast enough. Since you're crouching you really just need to do down-forward, forward, since part of the motion is already done by you crouching.

That's what I needed to know, thanks.

That's what I needed to know, thanks.

yeah, there are kind of two different aspects to combos.

cancels: the cr. mk xx hadouken is a cancel, which means you input the next attack before the previous attack finishes (like onemic said)

then there are links: cr. mp > cr. mp > sweep
this is when you fully wait for the animation of the previous attack to finish before inputting the next attack.
if try you're this above link, set the dummy to autoblock (after the first hit). if the second cr.mp doesn't come out you've input it too fast. if the second cr.mp comes out but is blocked, you did the link too late.
here's some guy doing this link combo on a ps3 pad:
http://youtu.be/GIPXlQG1Yt8?t=1m26s

Onemic

To Akuma players, when would be the appropriate time to do a demon flip when not in a knockdown situation? Or is the only way to get in with akuma to play footsies?

Onemic

You should have a look over at SRK. Plenty of setups to be found.

I'd say EX Demon Flip on a good fireball read but it's risky anyway and I'm ass at Akuma so meh.

I live there currently haha. They only have setups for knockdown situations and not how to actually 'get in' with Akuma. Add in the fact that much of the info doesn't even work due to it being outdated information and much of the place becomes a crapshoot if you're not at least an intermediate Akuma player.

cHaotix8

With Akuma you can play a runaway game with fireballs and DP them once they jump for the knockdown.

If you aren't that confident in your zoning you can either go for a focus crumple or blocked level 2 FADC to get in safely against some characters/players.

Akuma's footsie game is pretty easy though with how good his walkspeed and sweep are. Just walk back and fourth out of an opponents (without a fireball) normal range and wait to whiff punish their normals with sweep. If they don't press any buttons, Level 2 Focus > dash, you're in there.

Hope all these responses are helping you out some, Mr. Freeman. Are you on PSN? If so, add me: the_log_ride (same as my GAF handle). Still lagging on building my PC, so it's PSN for me until then.

On another note, it's good to see this thread is still plodding along. I've had so much fun in all the games I've played with FG GAF over the last (/counts on fingers) 4 (!) years.

I love the FG community, and I hope all you guys play future iterations of this franchise. I've been teaching my boy here and there some basics, and I hope he ends up playing some as he grows up, too.

Onemic

With Akuma you can play a runaway game with fireballs and DP them once they jump for the knockdown.

If you aren't that confident in your zoning you can either go for a focus crumple or blocked level 2 FADC to get in safely against some characters/players.

Akuma's footsie game is pretty easy though with how good his walkspeed and sweep are. Just walk back and fourth out of an opponents (without a fireball) normal range and wait to whiff punish their normals with sweep. If they don't press any buttons, Level 2 Focus > dash, you're in there.

What do you do against opponents that do have fireballs? And when you say 'If they don't press any buttons, Level 2 Focus > dash' do you mean to do the dash even if they don't hit you first?

I've actually forgotten that I don't know how to properly do focus attacks at all. People use it agains tme all the time whether it be from me jumping in to just doing it in pressure. For some reason when I do the same(most notably focus to absorb a jump attack) it always either gets blocked or they dont crumple.

Hope all these responses are helping you out some, Mr. Freeman. Are you on PSN? If so, add me: the_log_ride (same as my GAF handle). Still lagging on building my PC, so it's PSN for me until then.

On another note, it's good to see this thread is still plodding along. I've had so much fun in all the games I've played with FG GAF over the last (/counts on fingers) 4 (!) years.

I love the FG community, and I hope all you guys play future iterations of this franchise. I've been teaching my boy here and there some basics, and I hope he ends up playing some as he grows up, too.

Yeah, you've all been very helpful. I'm on the 360 though, and it will probably be a while before I will really commit to this game. Right now, I'm just trying to interlace some SSF4 offline practice in between my other games, but when I'm done with my backlog I'll renew my gold account and start playing online.

EDIT: Speak of the devil...

cHaotix8

What do you do against opponents that do have fireballs? And when you say 'If they don't press any buttons, Level 2 Focus > dash' do you mean to do the dash even if they don't hit you first?

I've actually forgotten that I don't know how to properly do focus attacks at all. People use it agains tme all the time whether it be from me jumping in to just doing it in pressure. For some reason when I do the same(most notably focus to absorb a jump attack) it always either gets blocked or they dont crumple.

Akuma has a pretty good, well, everything. If you're fighting a Ryu or Ken and they're throwing fireballs kind of predictably, you can stand near their cr. MK range and focus > dash through fireballs, or focus > lvl 2 crumple if they're close enough. cr. MK xx hadouken isn't a true blockstring, so you can even hit them before the fireball is active if you're spaced right. Obviously, this won't work against multi hitting fireballs and armor breaking moves so you have to judge when this method of approach is beneficial.

I don't know how redundant this may be for you but there's three levels for focus attacks. Level 1 is the one that doesn't crumple on hit, and if you dash forward on block or hit you're usually punishable. Level 2 Focus attack is the one that crumples, and it's usually + on block when you dash forward. This makes it a good tool for getting in for a lot of characters. The way to tell the difference between 1 and 2 is to notice when the character flashes white while charging it. If you know it's going to be level 1, just backdash on hit/block, since the only way you get pressure on a level 1 FA is if it counter-hits.

Also, never focus attack a jump in if you can help it! Always go for the anti air. Though if you're charging focus and they happen to jump, one of my gimmicks is to backdash just before they land. They'll usually try to throw you, but you'll recover in time to punish the throw animation! haha, hope that helps.

LakeEarth

Is EX Palm a good tool when you read a fireball or was my friend taking advantage of how predictable I was?

It's not as easy of a fireball punish as, say Abel's ultra 1, but it can be done on reaction. He was probably anticipating it though, as he would have to be sure his spacing was good before activating it.

Onemic

Akuma has a pretty good, well, everything. If you're fighting a Ryu or Ken and they're throwing fireballs kind of predictably, you can stand near their cr. MK range and focus > dash through fireballs, or focus > lvl 2 crumple if they're close enough. cr. MK xx hadouken isn't a true blockstring, so you can even hit them before the fireball is active if you're spaced right. Obviously, this won't work against multi hitting fireballs and armor breaking moves so you have to judge when this method of approach is beneficial.

I don't know how redundant this may be for you but there's three levels for focus attacks. Level 1 is the one that doesn't crumple on hit, and if you dash forward on block or hit you're usually punishable. Level 2 Focus attack is the one that crumples, and it's usually + on block when you dash forward. This makes it a good tool for getting in for a lot of characters. The way to tell the difference between 1 and 2 is to notice when the character flashes white while charging it. If you know it's going to be level 1, just backdash on hit/block, since the only way you get pressure on a level 1 FA is if it counter-hits.

Also, never focus attack a jump in if you can help it! Always go for the anti air. Though if you're charging focus and they happen to jump, one of my gimmicks is to backdash just before they land. They'll usually try to throw you, but you'll recover in time to punish the throw animation! haha, hope that helps.

I'll try this. I'll probably die a hundred times over before anything comes of it but I'll try. In terms of the footsie game I've noticed it's incredibly hard to get in on players that have fireballs as well as longer range normals than Akuma(Ken is the immediate one that comes to mind as I've faced about 75% Ken's over my online playthorugh today) they either do the normal which stuff my attack, or throw a fireball and wait for my reaction. Making it not possible for me to even get in their cr.MK range since they'll just do that stupid advancing command normal kick.

I also notice some users(exclusively Ken players so far; pattern approaching...) able to cross up tatsu just from the neutral game alone. Is that possible for Akuma? How do you get the timing/positiong for that with no knockdown?

Also this is nothing to you non-scrubs, but I was finally able to land Akuma's BnB for the first time ever in a live match. Feels good man. All those hours of practice sorta paid off. It's too bad that I still get bodied by motherfuckers who do nothing but exclusively jump and SRK every second they touch the ground. Some Ken user was able to do a setup on me where he would get a hard knockdown, Fierce SRK immediately, and upon landing would either do another fierce SRK or a throw creating a 50/50 mixup. How in the hell do you get out of that?

OceanBlue

Some Ken user was able to do a setup on me where he would get a hard knockdown, Fierce SRK immediately, and upon landing would either do another fierce SRK or a throw creating a 50/50 mixup. How in the hell do you get out of that?
Isn't that just a basic DP/throw mixup, except they're on the other side? You can do it yourself.

As for the crossup tatsu in neutral, practice it in training mode until you get the right timing/height for it. I just tried it and it seems similar to Ryu's: do the tatsu around the top of your jump arc.

Ken players still do that? LOL that's a Vanilla set up. There is nothing ambiguous about it. It's just for timing. They do a fierce DP and when they land they're on the other side. Not only that, but they've recovered from their DP before you've recovered from the hard knockdown. Back in the old days in this scenario, people would get confused and start mashing throw because they think the Ken player is either trying to throw them or hasn't fully recovered from his DP yet when they have. So they're stand tech'ing and Ken players will start a combo with low short. I remember Yipes doing this a lot in the Battlefield Arcadia streams when he still played SF4.

Here's a video of a Ken player who did it against me(I was also playing Ken).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-WPIFjyHrY&t=0m54s

So I also fell for it. When you see that, just back dash the other way or block low while you're tech'ing. Their really isn't anything special about it. Like I said, it's done just for timing. Ken has much better mix ups in his arsenal than this.

OceanBlue

I just tried backdashing with Akuma. If Ken fierce DPs, he'll catch the backdash, so it isn't a catch-all solution.

Speaking of backdashing on wakeup, I really need to learn to use option selects in matches. I've played a couple where all the opponent did was backdash and I didn't do shit. :V

Edit: Now that I think about it, doesn't Akuma have a better DP than Ryu and Ken?

xCobalt

Can't you just back dash on wakeup to avoid that?

The fierce dp will definitely catch your backdash. There are some situations that where it wont work though and it mainly depends on the character's back dash and the exact timing of the backdash.

As akuma, make use of his teleport if you're in a difficult situation. In general, basic 50/50 mixups (throw or dp) tend to have patterns. If the opponent has 2 bars and has a lot of momentum, they will probably go for a dp and focus cancel. Opponents who have less than two bars will often go for a throw as it is the safer option for them.

OS sweep is pretty easy to do. My problem is that I'm afraid everybody will wake up with a invincible move. So I tend to do moves that keep me a bit safer from that kind of stuff, but it allows my opponents to back dash for free. But yeah about backdashing Ken's fierce DP. It has more range than any other normal DP I think. Plus Akuma's back dash is ass. Why not just teleport out of everything. Make them prove they can punish it before you stop.

Onemic

I just tried backdashing with Akuma. If Ken fierce DPs, he'll catch the backdash, so it isn't a catch-all solution.

Speaking of backdashing on wakeup, I really need to learn to use option selects in matches. I've played a couple where all the opponent did was backdash and I didn't do shit. :V

Edit: Now that I think about it, doesn't Akuma have a better DP than Ryu and Ken?

If you can;t backdash from it, isn't there no way to escape it then? I originally tried Rice-Eaters method of crouch-teching while blocking low, but that only defends against a throw, if they throw out another SRK(which happened to me) you eat it.

OS sweep is pretty easy to do. My problem is that I'm afraid everybody will wake up with a invincible move. So I tend to do moves that keep me a bit safer from that kind of stuff, but it allows my opponents to back dash for free. But yeah about backdashing Ken's fierce DP. It has more range than any other normal DP I think. Plus Akuma's back dash is ass. Why not just teleport out of everything. Make them prove they can punish it before you stop.

I forgot about his teleport. I rarely ever use it. Is it that good?

LakeEarth

If they DP, then they're taking a huge risk, either a punish or needing to burn some bars. If they throw, well then they went throw. Can't win them all.

And yeah, teleport will get your right out of that situation. An Akuma player should not forget that is in his arsenal, especially against slower characters like Zangief.

OceanBlue

It's so annoying. D:
OS tatsu doesn't even cover it because he can choose which direction he does. I'm lucky because I have a super to punish it on reaction, but I'm too slow-witted to catch it.

Yeah, I agree with Rice Eater. Abuse the teleport until they prove they know what to do against it. Against bad players like me, it gets you out of oki for free.

If you can;t backdash from it, isn't there no way to escape it then? I originally tried Rice-Eaters method of crouch-teching while blocking low, but that only defends against a throw, if they throw out another SRK(which happened to me) you eat it.

Don't mash crouch tech immediately. That's the rule when crouch teching. If you do it immediately then you open yourself to getting counter hit. Always delay it a bit in anticipation of a throw. If they don't throw and instead they throw out a fast normal like jab, then you'll just be put in block stun instead.

As for Akuma's teleport. It's the best teleport in the game for the purpose of escaping pressure or just simply getting away. A lot of characters can't punish it. Most characters have a very difficult time punishing it. Some characters needs reactions while other need meter and reaction. Unless you're in the corner and your opponent isn't coming close to you, just do it without putting a thought into it. You'll get away with it practically every time unless you're playing someone good.

Onemic

Don't mash crouch tech immediately. That's the rule when crouch teching. If you do it immediately then you open yourself to getting counter hit. Always delay it a bit in anticipation of a throw. If they don't throw and instead they throw out a fast normal like jab, then you'll just be put in block stun instead.

As for Akuma's teleport. It's the best teleport in the game for the purpose of escaping pressure or just simply getting away. A lot of characters can't punish it. Most characters have a very difficult time punishing it. Some characters needs reactions while other need meter and reaction. Unless you're in the corner and your opponent isn't coming close to you, just do it without putting a thought into it. You'll get away with it practically every time unless you're playing someone good.

I was wondering why Infiltration and Tokido abused the hell out of it during Evo. Doesn't E.Ryu also have the exact same teleport?

cHaotix8

Evil Ryu's teleport is so bad that it isn't even worth mentioning, lol. But yeah, mixing up teleport, focus xx backdash, blocking and DP on wakeup with Akuma gets him o ut of quite a bit of nonsense. I always try to block unless I have a pretty good idea of what my opponent is going to do though.

Crossup tatus from a neutral situation isn't safe. It loses to jump back normals, and all shotos cr. HP I believe. You might be able to crouch under it and DP in some instances as well. The REALLY good Akumas will whiff cr. mk/hk and cancel into super/ultra once the tatsu whiffs and the opponent is landing, but that's kinda hard lol.

I was wondering why Infiltration and Tokido abused the hell out of it during Evo. Doesn't E.Ryu also have the exact same teleport?

I wish, it looks the same but it doesn't move as far and is slower. Much more punishable. I think every character can just walk forward and punish me in anticipation of a teleport. With Akuma, you can't walk forward and punish. You have to have a fast special/ultra that travels a far distance. Your other option is a OS jump forward or backward, and that's if you guess which direction he goes in or. Reactions and OS's are thing that most players don't have, including me. Mixing it up like Chaotix mentioned is the better option. But at a lower level, you can just abuse it and almost never get punished for it.

As for Evil Ryu's teleport. It does suck but I've gotten pretty good mileage out of it. A shitty teleport is better than no teleport :p

Onemic

With Akuma, all you need is dat c.mp and c.rh.

Just raw bullying.

About that normal, in what situations would you use it? It seems like a good normal and I try to use it, but outside of blockstrings/frame traps it seems like its application is very limited unless you're right in your opponents face. It's the same reason why I never understood how to use Makoto's supposedly godly s.mp, which is why I eventually dropped her.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
7950. That's what I get for going AMD and buying a brand I never do. Moral of the story. It doesn't matter if a product of a brand is better than the product of a brand that is more proven and reliable. I should have went Asus or XFX instead of Gigabyte.

I'm done with it. I just want a refund. No more of this, uinstalling, installing, taking parts out, etc just to find out it doesn't work then having to put my old GPU which runs everything fine to begin with and uninstall and reinstall crap again. I don't have time or patience for it.

Kioshen

About that normal, in what situations would you use it? It seems like a good normal and I try to use it, but outside of blockstrings/frame traps it seems like its application is very limited unless you're right in your opponents face. It's the same reason why I never understood how to use Makoto's supposedly godly s.mp, which is why I eventually dropped her.

It stuff things in neutral that other normals don't but yeah it's mostly blockstrings and frame traps which is essential in pressuring the opponent.

Onemic

It stuff things in neutral that other normals don't but yeah it's mostly blockstrings and frame traps which is essential in pressuring the opponent.

Ah.

Oh I forgot to ask. What should you do as an Akuma player against people that just dp you the moment they see a demon flip when they're knocked down? I want to do a DF dive kick, but most people just mash dp on reaction to seeing a demon flip and of course my ass gets stuffed unless I do a safe crossover tatsu or crossover DF palm.

Can't Akuma do a DP-safe dive kick?

Nope, too much recovery after a DP. If you knock someone down with a DP and they quick get up, they can easily escape your command or demon flip dive kick or reversal it as you won't have the timing or position to aim the dive kick where DP's will whiff. It has to be done after a throw or sweep. I think it can be done after EX fireball as well but I'm not sure, I don't play the character.

Top Bottom