• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

I got a Windforce 670GTX. The 7950 is a fantastic card for the price. Shame it crapped out, but boy does that card run like a dream with those three fans on.

Hopefully you guys are up for some games tomorrow. I sent out friend requests to the GTs in here so I should be ready for some long sets from now on.

Onemic

Nope, too much recovery after a DP. If you knock someone down with a DP and they quick get up, they can easily escape your command or demon flip dive kick or reversal it as you won't have the timing or position to aim the dive kick where DP's will whiff. It has to be done after a throw or sweep. I think it can be done after EX fireball as well but I'm not sure, I don't play the character.

I think he meant if it's possible to do a DF dive kick setup that is safe from Dp's after a sweep.

Anyone up to body me for a few sets?

I got a Windforce 670GTX. The 7950 is a fantastic card for the price. Shame it crapped out, but boy does that card run like a dream with those three fans on.

Hopefully you guys are up for some games tomorrow. I sent out friend requests to the GTs in here so I should be ready for some long sets from now on.

Good, I will be the one to send you running back to Marvel weeping for your lack of Xfactor :p

I think he meant if it's possible to do a DF dive kick setup that is safe from Dp's after a sweep.

Anyone up to body me for a few sets?

Oh, well then the answer is yes. You can do DP dive kicks that can avoid DP's or hit if they just sit there and block. But be warned, your opponents can easily forward dash underneath the dive kick. So you have to mix it up to keep them guessing. I'd like to play but I played so much yesterday that my girl is kind of mad at me lol.

Onemic

Oh, well then the answer is yes. You can do DP dive kicks that can avoid DP's or hit if they just sit there and block. But be warned, your opponents can easily forward dash underneath the dive kick. So you have to mix it up to keep them guessing. I'd like to play but I played so much yesterday that my girl is kind of mad at me lol.

Is this universal, or do you need a specific DF dive kick setup for each character? Is it possible to do it from a sweep from his bnb:

cr.lk, cr.lp, cr.mpxx lk tatusu, sweep?

Or is it a sweep from footsies?

Sorry, can't help you there. I don't play the character so I don't know his set ups. I just know that he has a lot of character specific set ups. So something that works against Ryu may not work against Sagat for example because of their different body sizes and so on.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yeah. I'm an idiot for impulse buying. I should have read the reader reviews. Seems like there are many people having the same problems. It doesn't help that GB voltage locks their cards or something and that may not gel with your PC given your specifications. I just needed a mid range card to hold me off until the next goodies arrive but now I'm like f it and I'll just wait.

Good, I will be the one to send you running back to Marvel weeping for your lack of Xfactor :p
I left for greener and more hardcore pastures more than a half a year ago. You'd be sending me back to Vampire, Guilty Gear or Skullgirls. :p
Yeah. I'm an idiot for impulse buying. I should have read the reader reviews. Seems like there are many people having the same problems. It doesn't help that GB voltage locks their cards or something and that may not gel with your PC given your specifications. I just needed a mid range card to hold me off until the next goodies arrive but now I'm like f it and I'll just wait.
Ugh... I remember reading about that a few days ago. Sucks that they had to do that with such a great card. Comparable Nvidia cards are at least $350 too...

OceanBlue

Im too angry to play anymore. Im the worst fucking SF player. I need to stop playing this game.

Sorry. I was going in a bit too hard. You're not bad, especially for the amount of time you've put in. You just had some bad habits that I knew how to beat because I lose to a good Akuma all the time.

Onemic

Sorry. I was going in a bit too hard. You're not bad, especially for the amount of time you've put in. You just had some bad habits that I knew how to beat because I lose to a good Akuma all the time.

s'ok, just needed to blow off steam. Marvel and SF4 are special games in that they're the only fighting games I've played thus far where I never feel like I learn anything upon losing a match, just because of all the crazy amount of tech upon tech in the game,(especially so for marvel) which is why I tend to get a lot angrier losing in those games than in others.

OceanBlue

ggs. I didn't realize how mashy I was until now. :<

s'ok, just needed to blow off steam. Marvel and SF4 are special games in that they're the only fighting games I've played thus far where I never feel like I learn anything upon losing a match, just because of all the crazy amount of tech upon tech in the game,(especially so for marvel) which is why I tend to get a lot angrier losing in those games than in others.

Yeah, it's a lot of deceptive stuff too. Like for example, neutral jump air fireball seems safe, but if I see it I can preemptively dash under it and sweep you.

Good games guys. Had fun. Been a while since I played that many games in a row.

I couldn't figure out how to play against you, lol. I thought I'd figure something out and then I'd lose horribly the next round. ggs

TokiDoki

Is this universal, or do you need a specific DF dive kick setup for each character? Is it possible to do it from a sweep from his bnb:

cr.lk, cr.lp, cr.mpxx lk tatusu, sweep?

Or is it a sweep from footsies?

The combo with sweep ender is character specific , not all character can be "lk.tatsu xx sweep" . There is a list here http://iplaywinner.com/players-blog/2010/10/13/akuma-tatsu-sweep.html

And then the dive kick setup , after the "cr.lk, cr.lp, cr.mpxx lk tatsu, sweep" , instant df dive kick should be safe from at least 5-frame reversal .

Are you new to SSF4AE or only new for Akuma ? If you're new to SSFAE , I would suggest to to focus more on AA , execution and footsies first . For execution make sure you can do the BNB well , and for footsies , try to land sweep whenever it is favorable , like its max distance . And then do simple safe jump , like empty jump or DF palm . DF palm is like easy mode safe jump because of the timing leniency , and force opponent to be on your block string if they block it . I wanted to play with you guys but I'm on the Asia so it will be laggy against Europe/America .

I main Akuma since vanilla , and now I'm around 3.2k pp . Just to tell you that when I start maining him it is not a fun experience , as I sometimes lost 40-50 streak matches my friend who is already a veteran back then . So , just take the losing as learning progress , and focus on basic thing first . I wanted to play with you guys but I'm from Asia so it will be laggy against Europe/America :(

Westlo

Ken players still do that? LOL that's a Vanilla set up. There is nothing ambiguous about it. It's just for timing. They do a fierce DP and when they land they're on the other side. Not only that, but they've recovered from their DP before you've recovered from the hard knockdown. Back in the old days in this scenario, people would get confused and start mashing throw because they think the Ken player is either trying to throw them or hasn't fully recovered from his DP yet when they have. So they're stand tech'ing and Ken players will start a combo with low short. I remember Yipes doing this a lot in the Battlefield Arcadia streams when he still played SF4.

Here's a video of a Ken player who did it against me(I was also playing Ken).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-WPIFjyHrY&t=0m54s

So I also fell for it. When you see that, just back dash the other way or block low while you're tech'ing. Their really isn't anything special about it. Like I said, it's done just for timing. Ken has much better mix ups in his arsenal than this.

The Yipes is a classic like Nas and illmatic. I still like to pull it out when I'm feeling myself lol, sometimes the old shit works a treat.

xCobalt

Not sure how your session went but it really helps if you can talk to the people you're playing with. Getting immediate feedback what you did wrong or right and how you can improve is very important. When you ask for advice on a forum, you'll probably overlook some minute details or tendencies that could be very important.

Hopefully you'll stick with the game and continue the grind. :)

Onemic

The combo with sweep ender is character specific , not all character can be "lk.tatsu xx sweep" . There is a list here http://iplaywinner.com/players-blog/2010/10/13/akuma-tatsu-sweep.html

And then the dive kick setup , after the "cr.lk, cr.lp, cr.mpxx lk tatsu, sweep" , instant df dive kick should be safe from at least 5-frame reversal .

Are you new to SSF4AE or only new for Akuma ? If you're new to SSFAE , I would suggest to to focus more on AA , execution and footsies first . For execution make sure you can do the BNB well , and for footsies , try to land sweep whenever it is favorable , like its max distance . And then do simple safe jump , like empty jump or DF palm . DF palm is like easy mode safe jump because of the timing leniency , and force opponent to be on your block string if they block it . I wanted to play with you guys but I'm on the Asia so it will be laggy against Europe/America .

I main Akuma since vanilla , and now I'm around 3.2k pp . Just to tell you that when I start maining him it is not a fun experience , as I sometimes lost 40-50 streak matches my friend who is already a veteran back then . So , just take the losing as learning progress , and focus on basic thing first . I wanted to play with you guys but I'm from Asia so it will be laggy against Europe/America :(

Ive been playing AE since April, but Im pretty much still a newbie because I've never stuck with a character due to being too frustrated and eventually quitting. Akuma is my 5th main thus far. I pretty much only work on execution atm, but I pretty much never get an opportunity to even use most of what I practice as I always get bodied to the point that I can't start any offense, aside from random sweeps/throws into crossup palms or tatsus. Blockstrings never happen because I never get into that situation and if I do it happens so suddenly I forget everything I've been practicing for hours in the alb and just mash crouch tech.

DF palm after a sweep in footsies is safe? I've used it before and I almost always get stuffed by a dp.

Don't worry, man. I'll be coming to your rescue starting tomorrow. It'll be okay. I'll be SF GAF's new pin cushion.

I am Gaf's pin cushion. Every single person that has said they suck at this game has gotten a confidence boost from playing me because I literally almost never win a match let alone a round. I am forever a sub 500 pp'r. You shall be no different. I'll make you feel like Infiltration playing me.

Not sure how your session went but it really helps if you can talk to the people you're playing with. Getting immediate feedback what you did wrong or right and how you can improve is very important. When you ask for advice on a forum, you'll probably overlook some minute details or tendencies that could be very important.

Hopefully you'll stick with the game and continue the grind. :)

Just blowing off steam. I know I'll play the game for 3+ hours again tomorrow just for me to rage again :p

I do notice that in this game and Marvel it is extremely hard to learn from matches by myself with no outside help, simply due to all the little things that you would never know about unless someone tells you about it. I never get this in any other game , P4A, GG, BB, KOF, even in 3S I can clearly see where I fuck up.

Been trying hard to level up my Yun and it's driving me nuts. I lose to everybody. Kadey's 1 button characters, random 1000pp players in ranked, mashers, and so on. But screw it, I'm going to keep grinding with this character. After some endless with kokia and kadey I decided to just play a couple of ranked matches. It turned into 45 more minutes because I kept losing and wanted to keep playing to make up for it. If that wasn't bad enough I ran into the usual folks who would host, win, and then didn't host again assuring they wouldn't run into me for a run back which made me more salty.

Roche

Bought this game on the Xbox Live sale, it's probably one of the most frustrating gaming experiences I've ever had. Was playing through the Arcade mode with Sagat and got my ass beat by Dan more times than I care to admit.

That said I find it to be fun and quite satisfying at times. So where would you guys recommend a noobie go to learn to play this game properly?

OceanBlue

Ive been playing AE since April, but Im pretty much still a newbie because I've never stuck with a character due to being too frustrated and eventually quitting. Akuma is my 5th main thus far. I pretty much only work on execution atm, but I pretty much never get an opportunity to even use most of what I practice as I always get bodied to the point that I can't start any offense, aside from random sweeps/throws into crossup palms or tatsus. Blockstrings never happen because I never get into that situation and if I do it happens so suddenly I forget everything I've been practicing for hours in the alb and just mash crouch tech.

I am Gaf's pin cushion. Every single person that has said they suck at this game has gotten a confidence boost from playing me because I literally almost never win a match let alone a round. I am forever a sub 500 pp'r. You shall be no different. I'll make you feel like Infiltration playing me.

I do notice that in this game and Marvel it is extremely hard to learn from matches by myself with no outside help, simply due to all the little things that you would never know about unless someone tells you about it. I never get this in any other game , P4A, GG, BB, KOF, even in 3S I can clearly see where I fuck up.
I think you're being too hard on yourself, lol. You managed to take rounds off of me almost every game and the games were pretty close outside of the last one where I was just making really good reads. I've been playing for a year and a half to two years! Lol, that's why I think I'm awful.

Yeah, that outside help definitely helps me because I'm generally not too good at figuring out what's going on. It may not be accurate, but here's what I was thinking when I played you:

1. If you do st.HK, you always do sweep after. Something people don't keep in mind is that Akuma's st.HK is -2 on block now, so I can do cr.MP and it'll basically beat any normal you throw out after.

2. You play according to 4 ranges. At max range, I should get in. If I maintain a distance greater than sweep range for a little bit, you generally either do st.HK or fireball, so I focused on beating the normal after the st.HK. At sweep range, you sweep. At face-to-face range, you generally try to get away. I tried to wait for you to do something most of the time because I was too afraid of getting swept, so I usually just waited until you put yourself in a situation I could get damage from.

3. Every time the situation reset to neutral (for example, during an air trade), you always did jump back air fireball. Every time you landed from a jump or air fireball you did sweep. Every time someone lands in front of you, you do sweep. That's why I knew to focus after landing at the end of our last match.

4. Your oki consists of demon flip something. If I managed to block that, I didn't have much to worry about since you weren't really scaring me into pressing buttons. I would get grabbed sometimes, but most of the time you would do sweep, cr.MK, or something that would put you at negative and I could escape.

If you notice, none of these really have you at frame advantage. That's something I noticed. You never tried to use frame advantage for pressure. For example, if you feel like your opponent isn't going to do anything after blocking your cr.MP, feel free to walk forward a tiny bit and do another cr.MP.

Other than that, I noticed when you were playing Kadey that Kadey would whiff some unsafe things sometimes but you couldn't punish them because you were jumping back and forth too much. Although maybe that's how you got Kadey to whiff those things in the first place, lol.

Been trying hard to level up my Yun and it's driving me nuts. I lose to everybody. Kadey's 1 button characters, random 1000pp players in ranked, mashers, and so on. But screw it, I'm going to keep grinding with this character. After some endless with kokia and kadey I decided to just play a couple of ranked matches. It turned into 45 more minutes because I kept losing and wanted to keep playing to make up for it. If that wasn't bad enough I ran into the usual folks who would host, win, and then didn't host again assuring they wouldn't run into me for a run back which made me more salty.
:<
Sorry. I was getting too many not-legit wins off of Yun's weird upkick whiffing on Ryu thing.

Edgeward

Bought this game on the Xbox Live sale, it's probably one of the most frustrating gaming experiences I've ever had. Was playing through the Arcade mode with Sagat and got my ass beat by Dan more times than I care to admit.

That said I find it to be fun and quite satisfying at times. So where would you guys recommend a noobie go to learn to play this game properly?

Find someone here to play with you and help train you is the best way. There is a wealth of knowledge and strategies out there but it's hard to take it all in and implement them at once. Especially if you are new to the genre or the competitive side.

There is http://www.youtube.com/user/UltraChenTV which was made with new players in mind. Watch the "First Attack" series as they go into concepts and basic techniques

TokiDoki

Yes there aren't any safe jump for 3f dp , but like others said empty jump do give a threat and it works better if you have apply the empty jump to low attack conditioning . DF palm is almost like empty jump if you do it fast , it should be fairly safe most of the time against 4f reversal and above .

However , Akuma has that setup that is usable against 3f dp . It is the forward throw , instantly st.hk and HK Demon flip palm . This setup will whiff the dp and put you on the other side of , let say Ryu . The timing is very strict though , so far I'm not sure it can be countered by delayed DP but those mashing DP on wakeup will certainly whiff .

As for learning to play the game properly , I suggest finding a player who is better than you that can spar for long sets . Not too much better , but just slightly and had more knowledge so that he can at least pinpoints your mistake and work on improvement together .

:<
Sorry. I was getting too many not-legit wins off of Yun's weird upkick whiffing on Ryu thing.

That wasn't what I meant. I was talking about ranked matches. I lost to a bunch to guys from 800pp to 1200pp. Some because of lack of match up experience, some because I'm just not use enough to Yun to do what I need to do in certain situations. After a focus back dash, I'm still trying to do dash forward up kicks when I should be doing heavy shoulder into medium lunge punch. I included Kadey because she picked characters that essentially shut me down with only 1 or 2 moves(which happened in some of my ranked matches) and I didn't know what to do about it because of my unfamiliarity. With your Ryu, I know the match up decently and that was my own doing. You played pretty solid.

I was suppose to quit, but after I got done talking to my girl I spent another 2 hours playing the game because I want to level up my Yun. I am still losing to the most simplest things. This is my first time trying to learn a non fireball character. All my life from SF2 in 1992 till now, I've only played Shoto's with the exception of Seth. But Seth has a DP and projectile so it wasn't like I was learning a completely different character. I'm really enjoying playing Yun though. I hope someday I can get him to the level of my Evil Ryu.

SmokeMaxX

Yes there aren't any safe jump for 3f dp , but like others said empty jump do give a threat and it works better if you have apply the empty jump to low attack conditioning . DF palm is almost like empty jump if you do it fast , it should be fairly safe most of the time against 4f reversal and above .

However , Akuma has that setup that is usable against 3f dp . It is the forward throw , instantly st.hk and HK Demon flip palm . This setup will whiff the dp and put you on the other side of , let say Ryu . The timing is very strict though , so far I'm not sure it can be countered by delayed DP but those mashing DP on wakeup will certainly whiff .

As for learning to play the game properly , I suggest finding a player who is better than you that can spar for long sets . Not too much better , but just slightly and had more knowledge so that he can at least pinpoints your mistake and work on improvement together .

Haven't kept up with the conversation and kinda skipped to the last few posts, but there ARE safe jump setups for 3 frame DPs. It just forces the DP to hit late and turns them into "functionally slower than 3 frame" DPs.

Kioshen

I'm probably repeating myself but try playing to learn instead of playing to win. It doesn't matter if you won when you aren't able to hit confirm a bnb or get jumped in on a lot etc. I'm guilty of it myself but try giving yourself some mini goals when playing casuals like :

* I'm going to focus on protecting the russian skies on this match.
* I'm going to block everything and anything I can until he tries to throw me.
* I'm never allowing myself to block ever in this match.
* I'm going to be in is face and not let go ever to see how a person reacts to what I do.
* etc.

If there's too many things to learn (which there is), just focus on a subtopic instead of trying to learn anything and everything all at once.

LakeEarth

Videotaping your matches is also quite important. You never realize exactly how stupid your actions are until you see them from the outside.

I'm up for some matches if you guys are. Just gonna sit back and see if I get a response so I can hop on my PC right quick.
Videotaping your matches is also quite important. You never realize exactly how stupid your actions are until you see them from the outside.
Yup, I improved immensely after watching myself get destroyed in Skullgirls by some fantastic players. I wish I had gotten a capture device sooner for Vampire. I'd learn some amazing stuff had I recorded my fights against Vampire vets.

Onemic

I'm up for some matches if you guys are. Just gonna sit back and see if I get a response so I can hop on my PC right quick.

Yup, I improved immensely after watching myself get destroyed in Skullgirls by some fantastic players. I wish I had gotten a capture device sooner for Vampire. I'd learn some amazing stuff had I recorded my fights against Vampire vets.

Time for my bodying. I'll be on in a minute. What's you GFWL?

EDIT: guess not

Roche

Find someone here to play with you and help train you is the best way. There is a wealth of knowledge and strategies out there but it's hard to take it all in and implement them at once. Especially if you are new to the genre or the competitive side.

There is http://www.youtube.com/user/UltraChenTV which was made with new players in mind. Watch the "First Attack" series as they go into concepts and basic techniques

Well it's fortunate and unfortunate that the only person I know plays Street Fighter is quite good. Fortunate in that he's quite good (been playing it for a few years) and can show me some stuff. What's unfortunate is that he's my brother and my primary goal in this game is to defeat him in a battle even if only once.

I figure setting myself a goal would kind of motivate me to get better and such, he plays as M.Bison and has since the game came out I've a lot of catching up to do.

Anyways yeah I'll check out those videos thanks, I'm still getting my ass handed to me every game online but I haven't settled on a main character to use yet. I spent today using Dudley and I like his style though I'm not too good with it yet compared to Sagat.

I think my main weakness is blocking, I never know when and where to block which messes me up quite a bit when playing against any decent opponent.

Onemic

Likewise

I find Ryu boring, but he is the one I do best with lmao. I used to main Cody and Makoto, but it's been like a year since I last played a human opponent in SF.

Ya I can't do shit against good fireball characters. I tried doing the focus dash shit to get in sometimes, but that failed so spectacularly haha.

Anyone got tips for the Ibuki matchup vs Ken, Bison, and Akuma? I just started playing and I'd be down on the weekends to play online on PC. Tag: notinmyneighbor.

Top Bottom