• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Edgeward

Sup guys

Any of you regularly play AE on the PC? I have it installed, but I don't know who(on my friends list) plays on the PC regularly. Wouldn't mind tossing out some friend requests so I can play on the PC more often.

Warning: I suck major balls.

I play on the regular couple times a week.

Edgeward34 -gfwl
Edgeward - steam

Sup guys

Any of you regularly play AE on the PC? I have it installed, but I don't know who(on my friends list) plays on the PC regularly. Wouldn't mind tossing out some friend requests so I can play on the PC more often.

What's a minion doing here in our neck the woods? LOL, just playing. I think most of us play on PC nowadays. Yesterday night 3 of us went at it for hours, even Black Vegeta was online at the same time but I guess he was too cool to join us. But anyways, here is my name

RiceEater483

What's a minion doing here in our neck the woods? LOL, just playing. I think most of us play on PC nowadays. Yesterday night 3 of us went at it for hours, even Black Vegeta was online at the same time but I guess he was too cool to join us. But anyways, here is my name

RiceEater483
I don't involve myself with common riff-raff.

Just send me a message next time.

Onemic

Sup guys

yup

steam: onemic
GFWL: onem1c

You're not as bad as me. Trust me.

I didn't exactly know if you were going for a setup, but I just decided to get out of there using meter. You have some nice setups that will lead to big damage after getting a knockdown, so yeah I just decided I'm not gonna deal with it lol. I did like your setups after whiffing a st. mp, but I didn't know if you were gonna try to cross me up for use the dive kick. That definitely got me a few times. Was also impressed by a reset you did in one of our matches.

And if Solar or anyone else wants to play on PC, my GFWL is: solidgear1991
I play on the regular couple times a week.

Edgeward34 -gfwl
Edgeward - steam

RiceEater483
I still play, GT for PC is jeonjo
yup

steam: onemic
GFWL: onem1c

You're not as bad as me. Trust me.
It seems like Edgeward was the only one who I could get on Steam. The rest will just be added through GFWL soon. I'm a weekend sort of guy when it comes to the PC so I guess we'll play around that time. Thanks for the responses.

Onemic

It's gonna take a loooong time before Im able to break 1000pp with Akuma. Finally started working on hit confirms with him....I can't hit confirm with Akuma for shit. Yun was easy mode for that stuff. Makes me wanna practice him sorta, then I remember the reason why I gave up with Yun was because I couldn't get in in the first place.

Onemic

Cross up divekick, cross up tatsu, safe jump demon palm into whiff punish or throw, might be good to start with.

Tatsu was the first one I tried as it was in Tokido's mini tutorial he did, but it seems that the timing is extremely specific. I'm guessing it changed since AE since that's when Tokido made that video. I'll try those other two, hopefully I have more success.

Kioshen

I'm probably the worst. I feel like I've stopped improving 1,000 games ago.

GWFL: KokiaColor

I can browse NeoGAF and play SF4 at the same time.

hum_er_msm.gif

Onemic

This game depresses me. I wasn't even able to practice any of my blockstrings or hitconfirms Ive been practicing all day with Akuma ;_;

ggs Edgeward

Man, your Dp's are on point. How do I get them like that? I can't jump in on you at all. Any advice for a scrub like me?

Edgeward

GGs BV. That pressure game is what I've been missing. Need to review it later and steal some of it. =p

I hate when Gat gets hit after a correct read. So unfair. ;_;

onemic, I cheat and use shortcuts for DP. Doesn't translate well into other games that don't have it but it works here. Since you only need a slight wiggle of the stick it makes it easier.

The most important thing I would say is to find a way to start having confidence in your moves. Attempt anti airs srks and finish your hit confirms, it may lead to losses in the short term but you need to get over the fear of the cons and be sure of what you are seeing.

And after a knockdown you need to go in. A character like Akuma shouldn't back off, believe in the timing and setups. And work on your bnbs into sweep. And you got some cross up tatsus to work. Just need the sweep followup so you can keep the vortex going.

I woke up tiger upper'd a lot because I wanted to see if you actually had the timing down, and you did mostly. So keep working and take what you practiced into matches and let the chips fall where they may.

xCobalt

This game depresses me. I wasn't even able to practice any of my blockstrings or hitconfirms Ive been practicing all day with Akuma ;_;

ggs Edgeward

Man, your Dp's are on point. How do I get them like that? I can't jump in on you at all. Any advice for a scrub like me?

Don't jump unless its part of your setup or you're out of their dp range.

xCobalt

How else do you get into situations where you can do your combos then?

Get your mindset away from "I gotta land this jump in and hit my bnb". It's possible to win a match just on better footsies and proper anti airs.

You need to create the situations where combos will work. Generally, these situations are the result of a knockdown. Once the opponent is knocked down, there are multiple ways of opening them up. You can do meaties, frame traps, option selects, safe jumps, ambiguous cross ups, empty jumps or even doing nothing. By successfully pulling off one of these tactics, you create a situation where you can do a combo. Do not rely on the opponent getting hit by a stray jump in to do your bnbs.

GGs BV. That pressure game is what I've been missing. Need to review it later and steal some of it. =p

I hate when Gat gets hit after a correct read. So unfair. ;_;

onemic, I cheat and use shortcuts for DP. Doesn't translate well into other games that don't have it but it works here. Since you only need a slight wiggle of the stick it makes it easier.

The most important thing I would say is to find a way to start having confidence in your moves. Attempt anti airs srks and finish your hit confirms, it may lead to losses in the short term but you need to get over the fear of the cons and be sure of what you are seeing.

And after a knockdown you need to go in. A character like Akuma shouldn't back off, believe in the timing and setups. And work on your bnbs into sweep. And you got some cross up tatsus to work. Just need the sweep followup so you can keep the vortex going.

I woke up tiger upper'd a lot because I wanted to see if you actually had the timing down, and you did mostly. So keep working and take what you practiced into matches and let the chips fall where they may.

GGs Edgeward. I missed alot of my BnB combos. I reeeeeeally need to work on execution especially in tense moments. Playing against someone who has better execution can make me pay severely (such as jlai) if I miss a simple combo. I'm going to hit up the training mode hardcore and actually work on some setups (character specific as well) instead of just going from the top of my head. Don't know if I'll get into frame data, but I need to setup up my game in so many ways.

Or come to the realization I'm going to be forever ass at this game

Edgeward

I'm too lazy to remember frame data except after matches and wanting to know what is the correct punish. If I know I can punish and I don't know the right frames I just go jab into srk lol

I can browse NeoGAF and play SF4 at the same time.

This, and it looks great with the settings high at 1080p. The game looks like garbage everytime I go back to PS3 or 360. Something I'm glad we won't have to worry about anymore with next gen. Finally we'll have dat PC image quality on console.

I'll be around the next couple of days if you guys want to do another endless session.

Edge, when I do cr. MK > LK axe kick. You can either punish the special cancel or punish it on block(since it's -7) with HP Tiger Uppercut. Just mash it out after you block my light axe kick. I could mix it up with a MK axe kick which is -2 on block. But it won't even combo from a low forward so you have even more time to interrupt the axe kick when canceled from low forward. I was spamming against you and BV because you two seem unaware it could be punished, even on block.

Kioshen

How else do you get into situations where you can do your combos then?

That's what ground games (footsies) are there for. Akuma has one of the best walk speeds in the game. You can walk in and out of range of so many moves with ease. What you should aim with Akuma is not scoring a jump-in but a knock down. From there, you have one of the best wheel of options available in the game which you can loop around as long as you can keep the pressure going. There are many ways to score a knockdown. Hard or soft it doesn't matter. Try to find as many as you can and work from there.

In casuals, you can purposely limit yourself to force a certain habit on yourself. You want to stop jumping in and explore other alternatives ? Pick a random number between 2 and 4 and that's how the number of times you'll allow yourself to jump forward in the whole match. Neutral and back is ok of course.

Edit : Damn it you're tempting me to pick Akuma again.

Onemic

That's what ground games (footsies) are there for. Akuma has one of the best walk speeds in the game. You can walk in and out of range of so many moves with ease. What you should aim with Akuma is not scoring a jump-in but a knock down. From there, you have one of the best wheel of options available in the game which you can loop around as long as you can keep the pressure going. There are many ways to score a knockdown. Hard or soft it doesn't matter. Try to find as many as you can and work from there.

In casuals, you can purposely limit yourself to force a certain habit on yourself. You want to stop jumping in and explore other alternatives ? Pick a random number between 2 and 4 and that's how the number of times you'll allow yourself to jump forward in the whole match. Neutral and back is ok of course.

Edit : Damn it you're tempting me to pick Akuma again.

Whenever I try that I always just get caught taking a fuck ton of damage just trying to walk in.

I really should try that limiting yourself thing though. I've tried it in the past and then get so frustrated that I keep losing, that I revert back to my old ways.....and keep losing.

Hey GAF, I was hoping you could help me take my first shaky steps in SSF4:AE.

Aside from some poorly coordinated button mashing with friends in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, I have never played a fighting game before. The game itself explains absolutely nothing, so after toying around a bit in practice I went on the internet to get myself familiar with the concepts of Street Fighter, like zoning, armor, frame advantage, etc. This is all theoretical knowledge though, so I have a little trouble imagening how the concepts play out in a real fight.

Anyway, I've got a few questions I'd like to ask:

1. Should I play the all singleplayer stuff first to get familiar with the game, or should I jump online as soon as possible?

2. I'm probably going to play with Ryu for a while since I heard he is easy to learn and also uses most of the mechanics in Street Fighter (projectiles and such). What are good guides for beginning Ryu players? I searched online, but most of the numerous guides where either for intermediate players, outdated (SSF4, vanilla SSF4:AE), or just a listing of moves. I want to learn some simple solutions for common situations and some simple combos. Youtube guides are fine, but I'd also like a good text-based guide I can read in bed on my 3DS.

3. I'm not planning to become a top-tier Street Fighter player any time soon, I just want to play for the fun of competion and increasing my online rank. Is an arcade stick a necessary investment, or will I be okay with an original, wireless 360 controller for a while?

4. Is there anything else I should know? Something important most beginning players miss?

Thanks in advance!

Onemic

Aside from some poorly coordinated button mashing with friends in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, I have never played a fighting game before. The game itself explains absolutely nothing, so after toying around a bit in practice I went on the internet to get myself familiar with the concepts of Street Fighter, like zoning, armor, frame advantage, etc. This is all theoretical knowledge though, so I have a little trouble imagening how the concepts play out in a real fight.

1. Should I play the all singleplayer stuff first to get familiar with the game, or should I jump online as soon as possible?

2. I'm probably going to play with Ryu for a while since I heard he is easy to learn and also uses most of the mechanics in Street Fighter (projectiles and such). What are good guides for beginning Ryu players? I searched online, but most of the numerous guides where either for intermediate players, outdated (SSF4, vanilla SSF4:AE), or just a listing of moves. I want to learn some simple solutions for common situations and some simple combos. Youtube guides are fine, but I'd also like a good text-based guide I can read in bed on my 3DS.

3. I'm not planning to become a top-tier Street Fighter player any time soon, I just want to play for the fun of competion and increasing my online rank. Is an arcade stick a necessary investment, or will I be okay with an original, wireless 360 controller for a while?

4. Is there anything else I should know? Something important most beginning players miss?

Thanks in advance!
This is one problem that SF4 is notorious for. Outside of a few characters(in my experience Ibuki and Makoto are probably the best 'exceptions' to the rule) most information on characters in the game are scattered throughout the net and forums making finding what you need to improve on an absolute pain when you're a beginner if you don't know anyone that's high level and plays the character you want to play.

If somebody wants to whip my rusty Akuma into shape feel free to msg me on gfwl/xbl.

body me pls.

Thanks in advance!

1. Sure, play some single player. Try out the challenges just to get an idea of the things you can do. But don't mistake the harder combos as bread and butter combos that you should do in matches. They should serve as tools to show what's possible in the game and what not.

2. Check this out: http://iplaywinner.com/ryu-ssf4

3. Play with what you're comfortable with.

4. Learn how to properly block. Don't jump in too much without a good cause.

Thanks in advance!
1) Arcade mode won't really help you with much, but doing the trials will help. Most of them are outdated because of changes from patches, but the only ones that really matter are the first 10-12 for each character since they can help give you an idea of what the character can do. All trials after those are just for flashy combos/artificial difficulty.

2) This should link you to Eventhubs' Ryu guide. It goes into details about each of Ryu's moves and also gives you a few basic combos to practice, as well as advice on how to do SRK into Ultra.

As for solutions to common problems, the only thing to help with that is experience and very simple advice. Learn to anti-air jumps. Learn to be patient. Learn the range of your normal attacks and what they can cancel into, since your normals (particularly with Ryu) are just as important as any combo you can learn. Arguably more, actually. Ryu is a very basic character at first glance, but this does not mean you can learn everything he has to offer in a week or so.

3) You don't need a stick in order to be competent in any fighting game. It's all about preference. Anything that can be done in the game can be performed on stick or a controller, so what really matters is what you personally are comfortable with. Although godspeed if you're willing to tough it out with an Xbox pad!

4) Stop jumping so much. One of the first signs of a new player is how often they jump. Most people can tell how good you are right off the bat depending on what you do when the round starts, and new or inexperienced players will very often start a round by jumping backwards.

OceanBlue

If somebody wants to whip my rusty Akuma into shape feel free to msg me on gfwl/xbl.

I just got off. :V

Thanks in advance!
1. Not really sure. I'd say to mess around with your character in training mode for a bit. MAYBE play a few CPU games so you're forced to move around and do stuff (although people generally say that playing against the CPU teaches you bad habits.)

2. This set of Youtube videos is a good overall game tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL744144A71C67D816

As for Ryu-specific stuff, his best move is cr.medium kick. Get familiar with that move because it's his best move. Use it all the time. Learn to do the cr.medium kick fireball combo, even if you're out of range. His cr.hard kick has longer range and it knocks down, so you might be tempted to use it more. Feel free to abuse it until you understand why it's bad. It's fast, but it takes FOREVER to recover, and good players will abuse that.

(The reason you want to learn how to do cr.medium kick fireball out of range, is because cr.medium kick cancels into fireball on hit. If you hit, fireball comes out. If you don't, you just do cr.medium kick.)

Here's what I had to learn the hard way with fireballs: Don't use them all the time. Are they far away? You might not need to use your fireball. The problem is that it's really easy to feel like you're doing something with them, but in reality you're just playing Russian Roulette. Eventually, they're going to jump at you and unleash their 300 damage combo and then you'll feel silly for trying to do 65 damage. You'll figure out how to use fireballs when you get better with your cr.medium kick. You'll start to ask yourself, "How do I get myself in range to use cr.medium kick?"

That being said, feel free to spam fireballs all the time until you see why you shouldn't use them. Once you start to figure that out, you can start testing the ranges at which people can jump at you during your fireball in training mode.

Learn to hit people out of the air. Are they jumping at you? Shoryuken! Or use cr.hard punch if you can't react with the motion in time. Keep in mind that everyone starts off staring at people jumping at them. You'll be trying to use your cr.medium kick/fireball, they'll jump at you, and you'll be like, "WOAH I WAS TRYING TO USE MY CR.MEDIUM KICK AND NOW THEY'RE JUMPING! I'M NOT READY TO DO A SHORYUKEN!" A lot of people go through this. It's hard to focus on the ground game and anti-airing at the same time. You have to learn how to stop, think about what your opponent is trying to do, and switch gears/back off if you have to. I'm still awful at this and it really hurts my game.

As for combos:
cr.LP cr.LP cr.HP hurricane kick
cr.LP cr.LP cr.LP cr.HK
cr.MP cr.MP cr.MK fireball
shoryuken FADC ultra 1
is what I started off with. Don't worry if you have a hard time doing them. The timing is pretty strict when you start off.

3. I personally think that controllers are fine, especially for Ryu.

4. YOU DON'T HAVE TO ALWAYS BE DOING SOMETHING, ESPECIALLY IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHY YOU'RE DOING IT. This is something I'm slowly learning (and a good player can correct me if I'm wrong on this). Sometimes it's fine to just hang out and see what the other person is doing.

Although I lose to crazy rushdown awesome reads DP in the middle of the screen all the time, so I dunno. :<

Edit: Also, you're not playing a single-player game. One of the more important things is to figure out your opponent, especially when you're playing bad players. Do they like to take risks for no reason? Do they like jumping at you? Do they just sit there and block when you walk up to them? Learning to figure out your opponent is really important. Probably. I suck so I wouldn't know.

Oh boy I remember the joy of learning how to play back in the Vanilla days when everybody was ass. My go to combo from 1992 to 2009 was jump kick sweep. But over time I noticed(especially in shoto matches) that whenever I threw out a blocked sweep at point blank range, I got counter swept. I also remember having fun learning things myself like "whoa, how come that one time when I did jab jab low forward fireball it all combo'd :O".

Sure their were a lot of FGC vets that picked up the game quickly. But for most of us who were new to the game/series or never played competitively, we were ass for a long time. And online was chock full of people who couldn't block cross ups, threw random ultras, jumped constantly, and so on. And that will be your biggest roadblock Morgan. You're playing in 2013 when so many people have decent knowledge of the game now and those really awful players are much fewer in numbers. Same skill doesn't always work like it's suppose to and you may get thrown into rooms against much better players who will flat out destroy you.

Hopefully this doesn't discourage you. That's not my intention at all. Just tough it out and in time a lot of stuff will start making sense to you. Like "oh I see what he's trying to do" or "whenever I do this, he always does this, so I'll do this instead". You don't need to be a pro to start figuring stuff like that out and it'll be more fun that way.

RIP Jump kick sweep as a "Just do it all the time combo" ;_; 1992-2009

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'll be up in 30 minutes then. Have some minor things to do real quick.

Yeah I'm probably done with Live for the rest of the generation.

Thanks for all the quick and detailed responses everyone!

Also, any suggestions for a fun character to eventually main? I heard that it's the best to pick the character you're most comfortable with, but that's probably not a big factor now I'm still pretty much a clean slate.

'Fun' is pretty hard to qualify, but I'm looking (I think) for a character that has a varied playstyle (instead of spamming the same attacks over and over) and who is a bit unpredictable, both in fighting style as in usage (e.g. not Ryu or top 5 characters), so I can screw with opponents a little.

Top Bottom