• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I really hate it when I play more than 32 matches in a session and I don't get to see the replays of the earlier ones. So much wasted highlights.

Was anybody here planning on proposing any system changes when that comes around this Friday? Myself personally I was going to make a new suggestion to reduce damage scaling. I want scaling to end at 30% instead of 10%. That way long combos will actually hurt a little instead of doing nothing with the final hits.

I also want stuns to reset scaling if it was done after a long combo. Say you stunned someone after a 5 move combo. Normally that means your next move does 50% damage or 40 if you use Ultra. I want damage scaling to reset to 70% at least, but only if you did at least 4 moves or more. So if your next move was going to do 70% damage anyways, it will still do that, or 80 or 100. But if it was going to do 30 or 40, it will start at 70 instead until it moves its way down to 30 where it will stop. That way you're actually rewarded for stunning your opponent instead of having to figure out how to get a reset or finishing the combo for almost no extra damage.

jlai

Was anybody here planning on proposing any system changes when that comes around this Friday? Myself personally I was going to make a new suggestion to reduce damage scaling. I want scaling to end at 30% instead of 10%. That way long combos will actually hurt a little instead of doing nothing with the final hits.

I also want stuns to reset scaling if it was done after a long combo. Say you stunned someone after a 5 move combo. Normally that means your next move does 50% damage or 40 if you use Ultra. I want damage scaling to reset to 70% at least, but only if you did at least 4 moves or more. So if your next move was going to do 70% damage anyways, it will still do that, or 80 or 100. But if it was going to do 30 or 40, it will start at 70 instead until it moves its way down to 30 where it will stop. That way you're actually rewarded for stunning your opponent instead of having to figure out how to get a reset or finishing the combo for almost no extra damage.

all versions of characters (vanilla, super, ae, ae2012, ae2013) playable!

after leveling up considerably, i'd love to play as super-honda.

though i don't know if i want to face vanilla sagat or ae yun. isn't there some vanilla sagat combo video of him getting like 800 damage off a jumping roundhouse?

Onemic

after leveling up considerably, i'd love to play as super-honda.

though i don't know if i want to face vanilla sagat or ae yun. isn't there some vanilla sagat combo video of him getting like 800 damage off a jumping roundhouse?

I think it was something like 750dmg off a CH jumping RH

Dude, I've been wanting this since at least last year. We have enough versions now that I would love to see all of them being able to battle it out. AE Yun vs Vanilla Akuma or AE Fei vs Vanilla Sagat. Oh who am I kidding, the Vanilla characters would rape them. My character along with everybody else from Super and beyond wouldn't stand a chance against the Vanilla top tiers or maybe even the mid tiers but I still would love to see it happen.

I think it was something like 750dmg off a CH jumping RH

Actually it's a counter hit fierce that does more damage. He could get 700+ off that I think. But it's actually possible for Vanilla Sagat to kill Vanilla/Super Seth. You have to jump in with a fierce while he's focusing. Then TU which will be a counter hit and cause him to do the twirling thingy, you then have to FADC backwards and do a high step kick into Ultra. This does 750+ damage.

Trust me, nobody would stand a chance against Vanilla characters. We need not even talk about Ryu, Sagat, and Akuma who were the consensus top 3 when Vanilla ended. Even guys like Viper, Rufus, Balrog, Seth, Gen, and Cammy would blow up everybody. Many say Seth and Viper probably would have pushed out Sagat and Ryu to be amongst the top 3 if we were still playing Vanilla.

So many fucking trolls online.

Stupid online community

not so fun anymore, huh?

pD4GU.png

I wonder how people would play Ibuki if they took out her unblockalol setups. Seems like it'd be more like Cammy in 2012 with stronger normals and more on footsies.

Threi

notag
hell yeah gimmi super deejay he will wrec-

oh yeah.

uh...well...playing against the strongest version of chars that are barely even to downright terrible matchups will be pretty fu-

oh yeah.

Onemic

Dem focus attacks. Rice Eater pls.

It's also the first time I've ever gotten 1000pp before. I'm so happy, I've graduated to C scrub tier.

Dem focus attacks. Rice Eater pls.

It's also the first time I've ever gotten 1000pp before. I'm so happy, I've graduated to C scrub tier.

One thing I've learned about Yun while playing him is that his dive kick gets blown up by focus attacks. They added 2 extra frames of recovery for his dive kicks in AE 2012. So they have 6 recovery frames instead of 4 like most jumping attacks. To avoid this you have to hit the dive kick very low or chances are you may get crumpled. I abused it against you because it's been abused against me.

BTW, I love how some people like to act like other versions of certain characters would actually have a chance against Vanilla top tiers, LOL no. Super Honda, Super Guile, Super Cammy, AE Yun, AE Fei, or whoever you want to mention will get destroyed by the likes of Vanilla top tiers.

Onemic

One thing I've learned about Yun while playing him is that his dive kick gets blown up by focus attacks. They added 2 extra frames of recovery for his dive kicks in AE 2012. So they have 6 recovery frames instead of 4 like most jumping attacks. To avoid this you have to hit the dive kick very low or chances are you may get crumpled. I abused it against you because it's been abused against me.

BTW, I love how some people like to act like other versions of certain characters would actually have a chance against Vanilla top tiers, LOL no. Super Honda, Super Guile, Super Cammy, AE Yun, AE Fei, or whoever you want to mention will get destroyed by the likes of Vanilla top tiers.

Yep, I've always known that, I just have no idea how to get around it properly. And of course I cant focus for shit, so I was never really able to punish you for yours except once or twice. If there is one change I want with Yun in 2013 it's fixing the recovery frames on his dive kick. Everything else can stay the same.

Venfayth

When you jump, watch them. If they start focusing, don't divekick, just empty jump into throw.

Another thing you can do is neutral jump at the max hk divekick range and watch for whiffed normals. If you neutral jump at that range it's hard to punish, and if they whiff a normal, you basically get a free ticket in at low risk.

Beckx

Okay, SSFIV GAF, serious soul searching question.

I suck at special --> FADC --> ultra. I can maybe pull a few reps off in training mode, and maybe one day will get it, but it's not likely.

Is it possible to compete - reasonably, not talking high tier / tournament level competition - if my execution isn't good enough to pull off even Ryu's simple SRK FADC ultra?

I suck at special --> FADC --> ultra. I can maybe pull a few reps off in training mode, and maybe one day will get it, but it's not likely.

Is it possible to compete - reasonably, not talking high tier / tournament level competition - if my execution isn't good enough to pull off even Ryu's simple SRK FADC ultra?

sure. pick ultra 2, or a different character that doesnt integrate srk-fadc-ultra heavily into their gameplan. thats (a small) part of the reason i play charge characters mostly. the only non-charge character i enjoy playing is cody.

The main issue is that this game is 4 years old now. Their isn't much to explore anymore. A lot of tech for every character has been discovered and a lot of players know what to do in which situation and how to follow it up and so on. Unless you're just going to play online and look for others like yourself, most guys who attend tournaments are competent players now. You have to improve your execution to a decent level to hang with even the low level guys if you attend tournaments. If you just plan to play online then just have fun and try your best to improve while you're at it.

BTW, I was hoping we would get to 20k and have a new OT by the time AE 2013(or 14?) comes out. I'm predicting that the update drops this Fall. If we follow the pace we had at the beginning of this year, that means we should be around 19.2k by September. But it sure feels like our pace has slowed down even more since the beginning of this year.

Basically just say stuff people, lets get a new OT by the time the update drops. Even if you have to leave weird psychotic messages like Kadey does every now and then.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
BTW, I was hoping we would get to 20k and have a new OT by the time AE 2013(or 14?) comes out. I'm predicting that the update drops this Fall. If we follow the pace we had at the beginning of this year, that means we should be around 19.2k by September. But it sure feels like our pace has slowed down even more since the beginning of this year.

Basically just say stuff people, lets get a new OT by the time the update drops. Even if you have to leave weird psychotic messages like Kadey does every now and then.

Well let's just put some people on blast....

y'all free motherfuckers! Come at me!

Kioshen

Yes it is possible. The most important thing to have is a game plan, basic character knowledge ,match-up knowledge and then execution. Sure it's great to be able to pull off srk fadc ultra because your damage output is better among other things but it's just that : a nice to have. If you can't pull it off it just means that you'll have to play better slightly longer, create more openings and have better defense.

If you have a good fireball game, you can frustrate the opponent more often into a trap and chip away at his health gauge. If you have a good footsie game, you can take control of the pace more often and have fun in the corner at the expense of the other player.

All you really need to win a match are normals. Everything else is gravy that you can pile on to make clutch comebacks easier or be more efficient at chipping away at the opponent's health bar.

MIMIC

Banned
I really hate it when I play more than 32 matches in a session and I don't get to see the replays of the earlier ones. So much wasted highlights.

Oh shit, I just realized that I wanted to tell capcom to include something like this in the update: the ability to save a match immediately after playing (without having to leave the lobby).

Onemic

Yes it is possible. The most important thing to have is a game plan, basic character knowledge ,match-up knowledge and then execution. Sure it's great to be able to pull off srk fadc ultra because your damage output is better among other things but it's just that : a nice to have. If you can't pull it off it just means that you'll have to play better slightly longer, create more openings and have better defense.

If you have a good fireball game, you can frustrate the opponent more often into a trap and chip away at his health gauge. If you have a good footsie game, you can take control of the pace more often and have fun in the corner at the expense of the other player.

All you really need to win a match are normals. Everything else is gravy that you can pile on to make clutch comebacks easier or be more efficient at chipping away at the opponent's health bar.

Not if you play the twins :(

Dhalsim?

Charge Characters?

God it's worse than I thought.

BRB, off to sell my copies.

Just play Makoto Beckx, no SRK>FADC>Ultra. Just press buttons and win the game.
lies

Wanna play later?

Kioshen

It's true, look at how Jlai double P'd this elite 3,000pp Vega player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9971cVd3-gA

Oh yeah I remember that video. I still cringe at the start of round 2 that whiff punish was painful. *starts to roll*, makoto says NOPE BACK IN THE CORNER SUCKA.

Not if you play the twins :(

Off the top of my head with Yun

* Play a ground game with cr.LK, cr.MP, sweep or whatever normal you need to win the ground
* Harass with dive kicks
* Hit confirm said ground game or dive kick into highest hitting normal you can into lunge punch for corner carry or kicks srk for oki
* Once knockdown achieved rotate into dive kick, cross up dive kick, hit high hit stun normal in front or back, meaty cr.LK, empty jump either side cr.LK, throw, command throw all lead into one hit stun normal cancelled into LP or K SRK.
* Rinse and repeat.

I don't know if Yun can combo into sweep but a simple normal xx special for oki is not much to ask.

Disclamer : I don't play Yun but I play against a good one often. He does pretty much that except that when he gets in it hits hard and does shenanigans with cross up shoulder tackle. He has incredible execution but I manage to get by anyway. I just need to outplay him more often in the match.

Beckx

Thanks for the insights, guys, seriously appreciated. Frustrated with my skill growth and needed to hear that you can still build a competitive game by picking your spots with normals & specials.

onemic, you need to shoot me a FR on PSN so I can spot you when I'm on.

Westlo

Don't worry my tears from Cammy get bent over and done in the ass without lube will be enough to carry this us the the next OT.

And if Ken doesn't get buffed and Ryu does, it's a wrap.

Kioshen

Thanks for the insights, guys, seriously appreciated. Frustrated with my skill growth and needed to hear that you can still build a competitive game by picking your spots with normals & specials.

onemic, you need to shoot me a FR on PSN so I can spot you when I'm on.

Send me an invite if you want too on PSN. Handle's the same as Gaf's.

Don't worry my tears from Cammy get bent over and done in the ass without lube will be enough to carry this us the the next OT.

And if Ken doesn't get buffed and Ryu does, it's a wrap.

Ever since Super Cammy players have been saying that ...

Westlo

Ever since Super Cammy players have been saying that ...

Well AE Cammy is the weakest Cammy and you had Yun + Yang pretty much doing her thing but waaaaay better.

I can't see 2013 Cammy being in better shape than AE Cammy.

Super > Vanilla > AE 2012 > AE >> AE 2013.

AE 2012 Cammy is more the result of unblockables getting "mainstream" and people above her getting nerfed while she received a single buff.

But yeah she had a good run, Top 5 in Super and 2012, Would've been Top 10 in Vanilla if the lifespan had been long enough, Strong character in AE just completely outshone, why play borderline top 10 when you can be Top 2.

Akuma and Cammy are going to get fucked, especially if they can't fix their setup dominance because of the system/engine.

Kioshen

@Westlo

I'll take your word for it because I don't remember much of AE. I still think she'll hang around Top 10 just like Viper, Seth, Akuma because of how they can take full advantage of SF4 mechanics regardless of how Capcom will address them.

wanna play on PC?

Can't at the moment since I'm at work :/.

Top Bottom