• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Venfayth

Jump between 5 different characters like onem1c.

pD4GU.png

>:|

It's important to have counter picks. I play Oni against Vega.

Not in my experience, it's always Ryu everywhere I've gone, PC, PS3, or 360. I think Ken use to have the edge back in Vanilla even though Ryu was top tier. But clearly Ryu is the most popular character from my experience, by far. The funny thing is I've picked up Yun as a secondary character and Ryu now owns him. I sometimes play him in ranked and hope that I don't run into a Ryu, and somehow I always do and I get my ass kicked most of the time :(

BV, good luck with dat Gat.

Ken had the edge in popularity for about the first two weeks. Then people figured out that combo to ultra with Ryu was dirt simple and the flood of fail-u has been around ever since.

I've definitely been maining Ryu mostly as of late :-( My Ryu is dirt crappy. But being that I haven't played in a long time, and my Guy play is ass-tier.....I picked a shoto just to relearn basic stuff and get back into the game.

OceanBlue

Ken had the edge in popularity for about the first two weeks. Then people figured out that combo to ultra with Ryu was dirt simple and the flood of fail-u has been around ever since.

But you can do the same thing with Ken! You can even hit-confirm his DP! Why don't people want to hit-confirm their DPs?!

Ken definitely had the edge back in the earlier days of Vanilla. Everybody said they ran into Ken more and we even created a couple of jokes about it like the select screen with all the portraits showing Ken(except maybe 1 Ryu), the famous Ken flow chart, and the mash DP song. But I think it was jab dp > ultra that set off a firestorm of Ryu players. I know I was all over that shit the first 6 or so months. I would just throw it out fishing for jumps or trades into ultra and I see that many Ryu players still do this to this day.

I think it was jab dp > ultra that set off a firestorm of Ryu players. I know I was all over that shit the first 6 or so months. I would just throw it out fishing for jumps or trades into ultra and I see that many Ryu players still do this to this day.

This plus the fact that Ryu is close to on par with Rufus as far as number of ways to go into his ultra, without the learning curve.

but yes that is a large part of it

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Ken definitely had the edge back in the earlier days of Vanilla. Everybody said they ran into Ken more and we even created a couple of jokes about it like the select screen with all the portraits showing Ken(except maybe 1 Ryu), the famous Ken flow chart, and the mash DP song. But I think it was jab dp > ultra that set off a firestorm of Ryu players. I know I was all over that shit the first 6 or so months. I would just throw it out fishing for jumps or trades into ultra and I see that many Ryu players still do this to this day.

It was that any trade DP from Ryu was a free Ultra. So there was a huge incentive to just mash on DP. Same with Sagat when characters just jump in at him.

I think I fought a Rice Eater :O

What's your GT again? I ran into a couple of Juri's, both mashed EX pinwheel on me quite a bit so I couldn't tell for sure if that was you.

onemic, sorry I ignored you but online got to me again. I got really salty after losing to a really bad Ryu and it set off a long and drawn out period of point chasing, saltiness, and constant runbacks against random people. I only now quit because it seems their are only like 3 people in America playing on PC right now. I actually thought about trying to play some Europeans but didn't because I figure the connection won't be so good and they'll probably kick me anyways.

Venfayth

What's your GT again? I ran into a couple of Juri's, both mashed EX pinwheel on me quite a bit so I couldn't tell for sure if that was you.

onemic, sorry I ignored you but online got to me again. I got really salty after losing to a really bad Ryu and it set off a long and drawn out period of point chasing, saltiness, and constant runbacks against random people. I only now quit because it seems their are only like 3 people in America playing on PC right now. I actually thought about trying to play some Europeans but didn't because I figure the connection won't be so good and they'll probably kick me anyways.

Haha, GT is Slipsmoke. We went 1-1.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I don't think I ran into a Ken in half a year. Ryu is definitely more rampant and by a landslide compared to the cast.

I think I've ran into a Rice Eater on AE PC too. Not sure if it was you though.

What's name do you go by?

BTW, the most annoying thing about EX pinwheel is that it's possible to space it so that it can't be punished without walking forward a bit. And I know Juri players aren't doing this on purpose, they're just trying to get you off them and somehow it works out where they're out of your normal range and you didn't expect it.

stn

E. Ryu'ers - any tips against Zangief? The bastard just walks forward and absorbs damage. Its hard to fireball because one bad fireball and he gets a jump.

E. Ryu'ers - any tips against Zangief? The bastard just walks forward and absorbs damage. Its hard to fireball because one bad fireball and he gets a jump.

What Evil Ryu has to do isn't really anything unique from Ryu or Ken. The same strategy applies, zone and anti air. I'm not good at this match up myself because I have horrible reactions, meaning Gief players can jump in on me for free. But you have to not be afraid to be in Zangief's face or you'll get pushed to the corner very easily. Use cr. MK fireball a lot as cr. MK has a lot of range and it's a true block string with fireball. Stand MK is also a great poke as it has great range and can keep Gief out. Be wary of jumps though and prepared to anti air. If you can't do this then you're always going to lose as you can't attack Gief because that bastard is protected by the lariat which covers every situation. Only a few forward jump attacks can actually beat it clean.

Wynnback, the name doesn't ring a bell. But maybe we have played before.

udivision

I fought a Gief that kept on jumping and doing that Stun Headbutt thing. He wouldn't move unless he needed to. I lost almost every time; it was the most frustrating thing ever.

Kioshen

Looking to get back into using Sagat. Surely there are top players left that plays this character in 2012 ? I know about Ryan Hart, Saltford, LI Joe, Haunts
kappa
. RF recently dropped him but I'm not sure if Mago still plays him.

Any suggestions ?

OceanBlue

Looking to get back into using Sagat. Surely there are top players left that plays this character in 2012 ? I know about Ryan Hart, Saltford, LI Joe, Haunts
kappa

Any suggestions ?

Super Santarou Man shows up on Yubiken's streams all the time.

Capcom Unity suggestions come to life. The horror.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKjNBjiKRFE&sns=em

The funniest part about this is the nerf to sweep.

kappa

Any suggestions ?

Real tonk...Gachikun, RARIKEN, AOI, Super Santarouman and Hishou are the Sagat players that are currently playing on a constant basis.

OK real talk, the character least likely to block on wake up besides Bison and Viper are not Shoto's or any DP character, it's Rose. You would not believe how many times I land close HK because they just refuse to block on wake up.

Evil Ryu, Ryu, AKuma(don't know about Oni) close HK beats all of Rose's options on wake up besides Super and U1. But no Rose uses U1 so you practically never have to worry about it. I go into every Rose match convinced that they won't block on wake up so I use my safest option, cl. HK, and it connects probably 80% of the time. The other 20 is divided between actually blocking and FADC back dash which actually gets her out. I never show the threat of anything else and they almost never block despite that. I swear it's like free damage.

Honestly, now that I think about it, Shoto's are actually more likely to block than many other characters in this game. Rog will always back dash or use EX something to get out. Gouken players are always using parry, EX tatsu or EX demon flip. Elf players always use EX run or EX guacamole, and it goes on on and on. I think Shoto's are actually mid tier in blocking on wake up. Cross them up and they will block most of the time. Cross up the characters I mention and few others, they're always going to do something to try and get out.

These are just my online observations though.

Venfayth

Wakeup is the time I'm least likely to use EX Pinwheel, unless I have 3 bars. :p

And yeah, Juri's cl.mk has two hits and functions similarly to shoto cl.hk, stuffs everything but focus backdash, super, and u1. Roses HATE blocking, they just want to backdash. One Rose kept backdashing despite me light pinwheeling her each time. Did it four times in a row until she was stunned. It's fucking silly.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
OK real talk, the character least likely to block on wake up besides Bison and Viper are not Shoto's or any DP character, it's Rose. You would not believe how many times I land close HK because they just refuse to block on wake up.

Evil Ryu, Ryu, AKuma(don't know about Oni) close HK beats all of Rose's options on wake up besides Super and U1. But no Rose uses U1 so you practically never have to worry about it. I go into every Rose match convinced that they won't block on wake up so I use my safest option, cl. HK, and it connects probably 80% of the time. The other 20 is divided between actually blocking and FADC back dash which actually gets her out. I never show the threat of anything else and they almost never block despite that. I swear it's like free damage.

Honestly, now that I think about it, Shoto's are actually more likely to block than many other characters in this game. Rog will always back dash or use EX something to get out. Gouken players are always using parry, EX tatsu or EX demon flip. Elf players always use EX run or EX guacamole, and it goes on on and on. I think Shoto's are actually mid tier in blocking on wake up. Cross them up and they will block most of the time. Cross up the characters I mention and few others, they're always going to do something to try and get out.

These are just my online observations though.

In SSF4, Ryu's meaty close st.HK trades with Rose's broken U2 lol.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Still the best fighter.

Ryu needs his fireball after a blocked sweep back, the ability to do cross up ex tatsu and give him fake fireball.

Top Bottom