• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
And for those fighting against an El Fuerte....

Put pressure on that motherfucker and FA the initial Splash they will almost always do. That'll force them to do that tornado throw they do next time. They will avoid the slide for fear of being crumpled.

Let's destroy ELF together!

When Elf knocks me down I just keep doing the same thing till it works whether that be back dash or neutral jump. Eventually they're going to be like "time to do something different to keep him guessing". And I'm like "he probably won't slide 4 times in a row".

But seriously, he should never be back in another SF game. Blanka is annoying as hell, but it still feels like SF. Elf makes you feel like you're playing a platformer.

cackhyena

seinfeld.gif

Venfayth

Real talk, Juri's forward dash goes under a fuckton of stuff on wakeup. Sak LK tatsu, Vega's overhead, most meaty jumping attacks that don't hit super deep, etc

Yay! A fellow Fuerte player ^_^

Just some friendly advice:

1. Get good at starting and stopping the run. You don't always have to start the run and immediately do a splash/fajita/tortilla. I see too many beginner Fuerte players just start the run and immediately do a move. It gets too predictable. Psyche your opponent out.
Sounds good!

2. Although I don't do it as often as I should, try and work the Quesadilla bomb into your arsenal. The best strategy against Fuerte is to do a Focus Attack to counter his primary move: the splash. His Q-bomb is his only armor breaking move. I only use it against top players (and sometimes not even then). You'll be ahead of the curve if you start using it early.
Thats the charge chest bump, right? Cool. Is it safe on block?

3. Fuerte has a wall splash (medium punch) and a wall grab (hard punch). Use them. When you go for the wall splash, go for the cross-up. It rarely ever blocked correctly.
O_O
always wondered how you guys did that! Is that a full screen fireball punish?

4. Speaking of blocking: learn to block well. When Fuerte is in the corner, he is pretty much fucked. Unless your opponent didn't guess correctly guess that you're gonna use his EX leg throw to get away (his only escape move), you are at your opponent's mercy. They buffed his c.LP so you can spam it if you get some room. But that'll only get you so far.
I play Sim. Blocking is all you can do at times.

One strategy for being in the corner: wait for your opponent to wait for you to jump. Fuerte's moves rely on being in the air so most people will guess that you're going to attempt to try something. DON'T. Just wait. Once your opponent jumps at you an effort to counter you move, GET OUT. Fuerte has the best wall jump in the game, so after your opponent lands, wall jump out of there.
I play Sim. Slide and drill/teleport is how I get out.

5. I know you're a beginner but it's critical that you learn how to do his RSF. It's a pretty advanced move so if you're planning on using him for a while, try and familiarize yourself with it. It's his only true "combo" so you're gonna wanna learn it. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Nope, I don't have the execution for that. Any other decent punish combo? Isn't the back HK, ex flip kick a decent punish?

6. Although Ultra I does a ton of damage, Ultra 2 is easier to land and doesn't require super quick reflexes. It USED to be the most damaging Ultra, but that was before Capcom nerfed him >_<
Also, if you're feeling helpless, Ultra 2 is his "wake-up Ultra" move. It's pretty quick, so if your opponent is trying something when you're knocked down, it'll grab them.
A reversal ultra? sweet! I love Ultra ones cinematic though.

7. I've noticed that many people don't utilize his standing HK. It's a really weird move that has a weird hit box that's safe against a lot of attacks. It has quick recovery so if you whiff, you can usually throw your opponent after you miss. It works great against opponents who think that they can just walk up to you, too. That's usually how I use it.

It's also great because it can be used as an overhead if distanced properly.

8. His anti-air move is his c.HP. It works great.
Nice to know his go-to normals

9. Try and do tortillas when they're knocked down the corner. If you time it correctly against certain players and they try a wake-up Ultra or something dumb, you'll sail right over them and can punish them.
Nice

10. The most important thing about this game is match-ups. So essentially you have to play a lot of matches to learn what WORKS against certain players and what DOESN'T work against certain players. For example: against players that have a SRK, it's not really smart to do a bunch of wake-up slides. For charge characters, it's effective to flip to the other side of them after a knockdown to kill their charge.
I have a hard time with the Rose matchup with Sim for some reason.

I do the flip all the time out of habit after watching another Fuerte player when I was learning him.
So stylish. I wanted to play him ever since I saw Elf flip over fireballs

11. Also, LEARN YOUR OPPONENT. Try and predict his moves. Fuerte is a wild character so it's important to try and be a few steps ahead of your opponent. Does your opponent always backdash after a wake-up? If so, then SPAM THE SLIDE. Does he always do wake-up SRK? Then punish him with a focus attack.

non-run slide is safe though right?
I thought SRKs breaks Focus.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a vid of me playing a Ryu player just for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3_zii2ReRs. Not my vid; someone else uploaded it.

Some of the moves I use: in the video

0:29 - standing HK (but I don't land it)
0:30 - cross-up wall splash
0:58 - cross-up wall splash
1:01 - Anti-air (c.HP)
2:40 - RSF

As for video tutorials, I don't really know of any good ones specifically. There are bound to be a couple on YouTube though.

Also, the Event Hubs strategy guide has some really helpful info: http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/jul/08/el-fuerte-street-fighter-4-character-guide/

Thanks! I want to pickup someone new since friends/coworkers hate playing my Sim. I wanted a trolling character for them to hate now.

MIMIC

Banned
O_O
always wondered how you guys did that! Is that a full screen fireball punish?

Yep.

That wall splash gives Fuerte great spacing control and make people stop spamming projectiles out of fear of being splashed.

Nope, I don't have the execution for that. Any other decent punish combo? Isn't the back HK, ex flip kick a decent punish?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. lol. But 99% of the time, it's only used after a focus attack/dizzying your opponent. Nonetheless, it does decent damage.

non-run slide is safe though right?

It's only safe if you time it right (like Bison's slide). Otherwise, you'll get punished.

I haven't uploaded any vids recently so here's the best thing I can show you (it's against Wolfkrone) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oy2mW1nYxU

2:22 (he didn't block but if he did, his only safe options would have been to crouch tech or reversal)

I thought SRKs breaks Focus.

Any reversal that hits an opponent will break Focus.

But what I'm talking about is baiting out a wake-up SRK while at a safe distance. And then punishing when it misses you.

I know I'm over 3 years late on this question, but what can you do against tortilla propeller other than jump?

That or dash. Forward dashing it probably the best option.

And for those fighting against an El Fuerte....

Put pressure on that motherfucker and FA the initial Splash they will almost always do. That'll force them to do that tornado throw they do next time. They will avoid the slide for fear of being crumpled.

Let's destroy ELF together!

LOL. When my initial splash gets FA, I do Fajita Busters until you stop =p

stn

Watching a match with El Fuerte makes me cringe. He just runs around the screen doing random splashes, while his opponent is jumping all over the place because fireballs suck and Fuerte is too far away for footsies.

Fun times.

I did beat a 3600pp Fuerte this morning. He beat me the first time but I won the runback. Then I said "no rematch beotch, I'm outtie". I don't think I could handle another match with that guy. I'm just doing stupid random things hoping it will work out because he's always running all over the place doing splashes and the leg throw thingy.

Threi

notag
Watching a match with El Fuerte makes me cringe. He just runs around the screen doing random splashes, while his opponent is jumping all over the place because fireballs suck and Fuerte is too far away for footsies.

Fun times.
Like i said, losing or beating a fuerte does absolutely nothing for me. Even when i use him and either get blown up or win, its just like "whatever"

The fuck is this shit? Fuerte and Blanka now? You're cut off MBB. No more Sim for you.

"I hate playing your Sim MBB, just let me get close enough to punch you"
*switches to Blanka, uses his forward/backward hop and slide/upball or throw/electricity
"Jesus... just pick someone else, anyone else...."

They are the opposite of Sim, which is why I like it.

I thought people hate the twins and Adon.

MIMIC

Banned
Pokes really are the key to beating Fuerte. He relies on running for 90% of his moves and he can't run if you're touching him. That's why I have such a hard time against Vegas. You can basically just poke him into submission.

Fuerte can't exactly poke back unless you're right on top of him.

And if that doesn't work: neutral jump. Works VERY well against Fuerte (because the arc of his splash is usually out of range when someone is in the air at that right moment). Too many neutral jumps against ME and I'll EX leg throw you into oblivion.

That's why the best Fuerte's are super aggressive and try to be a few steps ahead of their opponent. With Fuerte, you can't exactly be scared of losing. You already suck as a character so you might as well go for it =p

Venfayth

"I hate playing your Sim MBB, just let me get close enough to punch you"
*switches to Blanka, uses his forward/backward hop and slide/upball or throw/electricity
"Jesus... just pick someone else, anyone else...."

They are the opposite of Sim, which is why I like it.

I thought people hate the twins and Adon.

People hate everyone for everything. They're gonna hate you no matter what character you play. Except DJ, then they will appreciate the free points.

Hey guys, I picked up AE today. I've played SFIV in the past but I want to give it a shot with a new character. I've decided to go with Johnny Yong Bo....I mean Yang. Any advice or guides on playing him? I'd greatly appreciate it, since he has no trials or anything...

cHaotix8

Hey guys, I picked up AE today. I've played SFIV in the past but I want to give it a shot with a new character. I've decided to go with Johnny Yong Bo....I mean Yang. Any advice or guides on playing him? I'd greatly appreciate it, since he has no trials or anything...

You should have started playing a year ago when he was arguably the best character in the game, lol.

Anti airing is probably the most important thing you can learn how to do in this game. Stop people from jumping all over you and the rest will take care of itself.

You'll probably find more Yang-centric stuff on Shoryuken.com. The only combo I do with him is some variant of jab > cr. mk xx rekka.

Venfayth

Watch lots of kyoku and nemo videos on youtube, do what they do :)

stn

On the subject of Fuerte, SF4 is the most "random" SF I've ever played. Fireballs are somewhat weak so characters jump around easy, tons of 50/50 options exist which make it a guessing game, and then there's the ultras. Oh, and getting a crumple after a random focus attack. Most of the best characters have a vortex or dive kick, minus Fei.

The game is fun and all but its the most chaotic SF I've played in years. Then you add characters like Viper, Fuerte, Abel, and everything becomes bonkers. And let's not talk about Cammy. The game becomes more about memorizing setups and calculating which side of your opponent's hurt box your hit box will land on than knowing fundamentals.

I also think this game has taught new players some bad fundamentals, such as getting used to focus attacking against a jump. Players become so used to charging focus attacks that they miss AA opportunities. And then you have characters who initiate offense from neutral jumping until they can land a hit (Yun). Viper can just burn kick across the screen until she lands one. And so forth.

I also noticed a trend with new players in that they have zero patience. They want full-blown rushdown and they want it immediately. Geez.

Rant over, back to practicing E. Ryu.

Onemic

On the subject of Fuerte, SF4 is the most "random" SF I've ever played. Fireballs are somewhat weak so characters jump around easy, tons of 50/50 options exist which make it a guessing game, and then there's the ultras. Oh, and getting a crumple after a random focus attack. Most of the best characters have a vortex or dive kick, minus Fei.

The game is fun and all but its the most chaotic SF I've played in years. Then you add characters like Viper, Fuerte, Abel, and everything becomes bonkers. And let's not talk about Cammy. The game becomes more about memorizing setups and calculating which side of your opponent's hurt box your hit box will land on than knowing fundamentals.

I also think this game has taught new players some bad fundamentals, such as getting used to focus attacking against a jump. Players become so used to charging focus attacks that they miss AA opportunities. And then you have characters who initiate offense from neutral jumping until they can land a hit (Yun). Viper can just burn kick across the screen until she lands one. And so forth.

I also noticed a trend with new players in that they have zero patience. They want full-blown rushdown and they want it immediately. Geez.

Rant over, back to practicing E. Ryu.

Pretty much why this game and Marvel annoy me. But I can't stop playing(At least until BBCP or +R come out)

Wynnebeck

Banned
Man there is no love for Cammy out there. Been getting nothing but rage fueled messages on AE PC but I've been on a streak losing to Ryu for some reason. I know they call her the "Shoto Killer" but I'm having a little difficulty finding the right way to open them up pre-knockdown and working on the right oki. Plus Civil War V is next weekend! :O HELLLLLP!

Geezus Christ, offline so different to online play.

Feels alot more solid.

I did have some casual matches with a real life XBL Roo. Dat wake up srk, mashing, and jumping galore.

Just got destroyed by a Cammy player. So many Cammy players here.

You should have started playing a year ago when he was arguably the best character in the game, lol.

Anti airing is probably the most important thing you can learn how to do in this game. Stop people from jumping all over you and the rest will take care of itself.

You'll probably find more Yang-centric stuff on Shoryuken.com. The only combo I do with him is some variant of jab > cr. mk xx rekka.

Haha I know right? Oh well it's all good, he and Yun were too overpowered. But thank you for the advice!

Watch lots of kyoku and nemo videos on youtube, do what they do :)

Watched a few Kyoku videos so far and I'm impressed! Thank you!

Marz

People rematch me on ranked more when I play Ken than when I play Ryu. :(

It might have to do with the fact that there's like 40 characters in the game and everybody online still decides to play Ryu.

Like sometimes I set up an endless lobby so I can learn some matchups and I get like 5 straight Ryu's.

Least I know the Ryu matchup I guess.

Welp, lost to a Cammy, beat a Cody (seemed mad salty afterwards), and lost to a Adon in the tournament. Dat 1-2

Not too shabby on mah offline session. Going back for more next Thursday.

Gotta work on my offline execution, dropped so many BnB Sagat combos.

Cammy and Adon, those are both disadvantageous match ups for Sagat. I'd say 6-4 each in their favor. Do you just want to stick with Sagat or will consider counter picking? I think Balrog would have covered Cammy and goes even with Adon. Just something to consider.

Kioshen

It might have to do with the fact that there's like 40 characters in the game and everybody online still decides to play Ryu.

Like sometimes I set up an endless lobby so I can learn some matchups and I get like 5 straight Ryu's.

Least I know the Ryu matchup I guess.

AE PC seems to favor more Akuma than Ryu. One evening I've faced like what 8 different Akumas in a row.

I hop back and forth between Ryu and Cody so I'm more part of the problem than anything.

Venfayth

Welp, lost to a Cammy, beat a Cody (seemed mad salty afterwards), and lost to a Adon in the tournament. Dat 1-2

Not too shabby on mah offline session. Going back for more next Thursday.

Gotta work on my offline execution, dropped so many BnB Sagat combos.

Playing offline is where it's at. So much stuff works differently offline. It's a way better and more enjoyable game. There's a rog here who, when you beat him, almost always seems like he's going to kill you. Then he hops back for commentary and is fucking delightful. :p

Cammy and Adon, those are both disadvantageous match ups for Sagat. I'd say 6-4 each in their favor. Do you just want to stick with Sagat or will consider counter picking? I think Balrog would have covered Cammy and goes even with Adon. Just something to consider.

I'm sure mah Rawg would have alot better, but I wanted to get dat Gat offline experience. Had alot of fun and met some good players. Even met a legit Blanka, which I never thought I would say...ever.

AE PC seems to favor more Akuma than Ryu. One evening I've faced like what 8 different Akumas in a row.

Not in my experience, it's always Ryu everywhere I've gone, PC, PS3, or 360. I think Ken use to have the edge back in Vanilla even though Ryu was top tier. But clearly Ryu is the most popular character from my experience, by far. The funny thing is I've picked up Yun as a secondary character and Ryu now owns him. I sometimes play him in ranked and hope that I don't run into a Ryu, and somehow I always do and I get my ass kicked most of the time :(

BV, good luck with dat Gat.

I really like using Makoto, she's really fun to play as. But I suck with her online. I need more practice with her but also knowing matchups. I've been soul searching characters I want to use.

Top Bottom