• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Dicetrain

I was just playing MK lol

Edit: Ugh, I guess my Ibuki mod was borked because it won't load levels when I pick her, now I have to spend 5 minutes verifying the game cache. I should set up the properly structured folders so I can reload the mods I know work in one go.

AutumnAve

Fuck training stage. Underpass 4 lyfe

This guy. He knows whats up.

But, man. the longer I play SSF4...i don't know. I feel like I should be able to combo better. Not even "combo" just, like, make my hands and my mind co-ordinate and not run on "auto-pilot" like, playing mindlessly. I get the feedback alot that I play Ken like he's Ryu, when I would watch Replay footage, yeah, its pretty obvious; trying to combo cr.mp into cr.mp, always trying cr.mk FB, even to my detriment, even when I eat a jump-in and a huge punish, its like I don't know better. but I do. And its so frustrating, I want to pull my hair.

But, man. the longer I play SSF4...i don't know. I feel like I should be able to combo better. Not even "combo" just, like, make my hands and my mind co-ordinate and not run on "auto-pilot" like, playing mindlessly. I get the feedback alot that I play Ken like he's Ryu, when I would watch Replay footage, yeah, its pretty obvious; trying to combo cr.mp into cr.mp, always trying cr.mk FB, even to my detriment, even when I eat a jump-in and a huge punish, its like I don't know better. but I do. And its so frustrating, I want to pull my hair.

Why won't you play evil ryu?

AutumnAve

Why won't you play evil ryu?

i've scratched the surface of e.ryu, oni, too. I've literally played this game 600 some odd hours on PS3, edging in on 100 on PC. Way too long to be so weirdly bad.
But, Shin, do you think Evil Ryu would be a good char to try labbing up on? Because I'm grasping at straws at this point.

Then get back to Roo? And where dat lobby.

It's weird, though. when I play Roo I play like he has a step kick. Then flip it around to Ken, I'm trying, and failing at Roo combos with Ken. Its like I've amalgamated the two into one. They're the only two I really have more than a surface level knowledge for.

i've scratched the surface of e.ryu, oni, too. I've literally played this game 600 some odd hours on PS3, edging in on 100 on PC. Way too long to be so weirdly bad.
But, Shin, do you think Evil Ryu would be a good char to try labbing up on? Because I'm grasping at straws at this point.

I don't think going from Ryu to Evil Ryu would be a good fit for you if you're still just trying to improve your game and get better at combos. It's harder to play him with his slower normals and his combos are a bit more situational as you have to identify when you're opponent is standing or crouching compared to Ryu who can always combo into sweep, tatsu, or SRK.

Plus his whole selling point is the MK axe kick combo which can be a pain in the ass for people with ass execution like you and me. I stayed away from that combo for nearly two years. Only in the past month have I gained enough confidence to go for it every chance I get in matches and my success rate is probably 60% at best.

At high level he gets most of his damage from footsies. But since I'm shitty with reactions, I can't reliably do cr. MK, hado, FADC combos. So I play a more mix up/gimmicky version of Evil Ryu and honestly, I try to luck out a lot of wins against better players with their unfamiliarity to the character.

So basically, play him if you like him. But don't play him if you're looking for a character to help improve your execution, fundamentals, and so on.

It's weird, though. when I play Roo I play like he has a step kick. Then flip it around to Ken, I'm trying, and failing at Roo combos with Ken. Its like I've amalgamated the two into one. They're the only two I really have more than a surface level knowledge for.

Try setting goals for yourself each game? One game, don't dp at all and just anti air with normals. Another game, kara grab them to death, etc.

It kinda weird during the times I played you. At first you were smashing DP then the next session you weren't doing any DP at all. Maybe your training your self to withhold DPing too much but I think that will just messed up your rthymed.

And yeah you play Ken just like ryu. Like I said to you before, Ken is suppose to be up on your face constantly, you seem to zone and pressure with cr.Mk FB which isn't a true block string. You need to use step kick to pressure and Kara throw to annoy them....then be ready to DP. Didn't I tell to watched how I played Ken? In contrast to my Ryu...

You can try evil ryu, see if you can get a hang of his combos first though.

Kioshen

Stop flip flopping characters if you are trying to learn fundamentals. You keep switching characters every other matches and it's mostly between Ryu and Ken. You set up yourself to be mixed-up between shoto styles. Try comboing into EX tatsu with Ken or whichever normal one leaves you neutral or at frame advantage I don't remember. This is the corner stone of SF4 Ken play which is in your face mind games. Abuse his kara-throw too and if you can't do it consistently practice that ASAP.

LakeEarth

If you aren't comfortable doing combos, find a nice easy 2-3 hitter to use as your bread and butter. If I'm not feeling up to the task (or the connection sucks) with Ryu, I just c.hp -> EX hurricane kick when the punish opportunity arises. f.hp -> hp, mp -> hp and mp -> mp -> mk links are for good days.

LakeEarth

I don't like it when new players get hung up on trying to do "optimal" combos. The first thing they need is experience, and to get that you have to play and therefore must have fun doing so. This is where you figure out what your play style is, gather knowledge for a gameplan, experiencing opponent styles so you can counter/defend against them, and more. That's why I always suggest starting out with combos with cancels and easy links, and moving on to the harder stuff later. Taking off 25% life most of the time is better than taking 30% half the time.

Beckx

Can we have an "I suck at execution and started playing charge characters/grapplers" support group?

Heh. I've accepted that my eye/hand coordination for links is going to be a tough bar to get past and I've kind of made peace with it. So I'm just mostly playing a fraudulent Hakan/Bison but (because I don't want to give up shotos and playing the characters that appeal to me) every now and then trot out my terrible Oni. Though I might swap E.Ryu for Oni eventually.

Main thing is I've found a spot where I'm happy playing the game with my ability, and getting better at fundamentals hopefully.

Of course when they announce they're adding Asura on Sunday, I'm maining him all day every day, I don't care if every combo is a one frame link.

FinKL

I don't like it when new players get hung up on trying to do "optimal" combos. The first thing they need is experience, and to get that you have to play and therefore must have fun doing so. This is where you figure out what your play style is, gather knowledge for a gameplan, experiencing opponent styles so you can counter/defend against them, and more. That's why I always suggest starting out with combos with cancels and easy links, and moving on to the harder stuff later. Taking off 25% life most of the time is better than taking 30% half the time.

Focus on walking back and forth and hitting buttons (fundamentals), combos/damage will come with time. I still say to myself that I would of won rounds if I knew combos :)

I know I played you yesterday, but I'm not sure if you noticed that when I switched to Chun, I literally tried to react to nearly everything you did. You can't just jump or do fireballs, as those are all risks you take since they are reactable most of the time.

AutumnAve

I don't think going from Ryu to Evil Ryu would be a good fit for you if you're still just trying to improve your game and get better at combos. It's harder to play him with his slower normals and his combos are a bit more situational as you have to identify when you're opponent is standing or crouching compared to Ryu who can always combo into sweep, tatsu, or SRK.

Plus his whole selling point is the MK axe kick combo which can be a pain in the ass for people with ass execution like you and me. I stayed away from that combo for nearly two years. Only in the past month have I gained enough confidence to go for it every chance I get in matches and my success rate is probably 60% at best.

At high level he gets most of his damage from footsies. But since I'm shitty with reactions, I can't reliably do cr. MK, hado, FADC combos. So I play a more mix up/gimmicky version of Evil Ryu and honestly, I try to luck out a lot of wins against better players with their unfamiliarity to the character.

So basically, play him if you like him. But don't play him if you're looking for a character to help improve your execution, fundamentals, and so on.

Level headed as always. I appreciate the advice.

Try setting goals for yourself each game? One game, don't dp at all and just anti air with normals. Another game, kara grab them to death, etc.

Yeah, I understand the logic of this approach, its actually quite appealing!

It kinda weird during the times I played you. At first you were smashing DP then the next session you weren't doing any DP at all. Maybe your training your self to withhold DPing too much but I think that will just messed up your rthymed.

And yeah you play Ken just like ryu. Like I said to you before, Ken is suppose to be up on your face constantly, you seem to zone and pressure with cr.Mk FB which isn't a true block string. You need to use step kick to pressure and Kara throw to annoy them....then be ready to DP. Didn't I tell to watched how I played Ken? In contrast to my Ryu...

You can try evil ryu, see if you can get a hang of his combos first though.

yeah, I understand my faults and failings with the SF4 series, as a whole. I've never 'clicked' with SF4 the way I could with third strike or the Alpha series, hell even most anime fighters! There's something in the strict button timing and loose "shortcut" lever inputs that really fucks with me.

Stop flip flopping characters if you are trying to learn fundamentals. You keep switching characters every other matches and it's mostly between Ryu and Ken. You set up yourself to be mixed-up between shoto styles. Try comboing into EX tatsu with Ken or whichever normal one leaves you neutral or at frame advantage I don't remember. This is the corner stone of SF4 Ken play which is in your face mind games. Abuse his kara-throw too and if you can't do it consistently practice that ASAP.

There's something to what you're saying too, thats carries quite a bit a of merit. But, the unique strengths of both Ken and Roo (funny as that sounds) attracts me to both. And what you and I have both described is certainly happening.

If you aren't comfortable doing combos, find a nice easy 2-3 hitter to use as your bread and butter. If I'm not feeling up to the task (or the connection sucks) with Ryu, I just c.hp -> EX hurricane kick when the punish opportunity arises. f.hp -> hp, mp -> hp and mp -> mp -> mk links are for good days.

I have a funny story somewhat related to that. in training mode, when I'm practicing Ryu's BnB FADC (I've never come to terms with the FADC mechanic, ever. and will probably never be able to) combo I could never do it. Ever. But, if I just watched my hands, and not the screen to verify inputs, look up and Ryu is successfully doing it. There's a disconnect between my mind and body, that I'm having trouble working out. My left hand wants to be doing something when my right hand is doing button inputs, and it manifests itself regularly in strange ways, errant stick movements, unintentional special inputs, ect.

From the sounds of it, AutumnAve is ass. D:

I'll just ignore you said that. Who said I was "ass?" That's pretty low...

Beckx

There's a disconnect between my mind and body, that I'm having trouble working out. My left hand wants to be doing something when my right hand is doing button inputs, and it manifests itself regularly in strange ways, errant stick movements, unintentional special inputs, ect.

Dude, we are separated at birth. I'd say we should play but my weird hours mean I seem to never be on when anyone else is.

hypernima

Banned
Can anyone help me learn some matches by playing me?
1v1 endless ofc
I feel pretty rusty with Cody and could stand learn some new stuff.

PSN ofc. it's my s/n

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
You don't even have to be here. Theres a god damn Ryu in here and he mashes. Don't ever invite that MF back into my lobby.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Passive too. Don't ever come into my lobbies. Take all that mashing and go elsewhere. I feel stupid playing with you.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I;ve had enough wake up dps to last a lifetime from that one session alone. I'd rather play against Jeron, Eva and the old regs.

LakeEarth

Played some Oni last night, just for fun. He's alright, but I got too many despiration EX slash -> ultra wins. He's a character who has one of my biggest pet peeves, hitboxes that don't match up to the animation. Every time I see my poke overlap with my opponent, but it whiffs, I die a little inside.

Veal

Played some Oni last night, just for fun. He's alright, but I got too many despiration EX slash -> ultra wins. He's a character who has one of my biggest pet peeves, hitboxes that don't match up to the animation. Every time I see my poke overlap with my opponent, but it whiffs, I die a little inside.

I know that feel bro ( I main Gouken and every button press is vital with him it seems.) I would like to play with some of you cats some day. I've been avoiding online lately because my internet has been really fucking spotty for a while now (and I suck) but y'all always seem to be chill and respectful. GAF's FGC is sooo different from SRK and Eventhubs!

Beckx

Janky hitboxes and terrible priority: Oni. (He does benefit at times from his disjointed hit/hurtboxes, though).

I wonder what the design process was like for him. He just doesn't seem as well thought out. You look at E.Ryu and you can see a real thought process to borrow from Ryu and Akuma and add new things.

He's still fun though. That deceptive HK stomp range and EX DP. And I love the visual design. The costume where his skin chips away as he takes damage is probably my favorite in the game.

Onemic

Janky hitboxes and terrible priority: Oni. (He does benefit at times from his disjointed hit/hurtboxes, though).

I wonder what the design process was like for him. He just doesn't seem as well thought out. You look at E.Ryu and you can see a real thought process to borrow from Ryu and Akuma and add new things.

He's still fun though. That deceptive HK stomp range and EX DP. And I love the visual design. The costume where his skin chips away as he takes damage is probably my favorite in the game.

EX slash - Ultra so derp doe. So easy to cheese your way to high pp with that bullshit. Same with Ibuki's dumb vortex shennanigans.

Threi

notag
Passive too. Don't ever come into my lobbies. Take all that mashing and go elsewhere. I feel stupid playing with you.
Damn passive u gon have to hold dat

ptkop7D.jpeg

hypernima

Banned
I can play you if you want. I'm scrub tier doe

Well damn, I just popped in my SSF4 disc and my ps3 is making this really terrible grinding noise, with all my ps3 discs.

So I can't play, and I have no $ to fix this, so I figure I'm out indefinitely.
Fuck my life.

Well damn, I just popped in my SSF4 disc and my ps3 is making this really terrible grinding noise, with all my ps3 discs.

So I can't play, and I have no $ to fix this, so I figure I'm out indefinitely.
Fuck my life.
Does it make the sound without the disk in?

You could try taking it to a local repair place to see how much it would cost to get it fixed.

Either way, that is deeply unfortunate. I was looking to more SSFIVAE training with you once I got internet.

Top Bottom