• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

rivals

BotoxAgent said:
lately, my second alt has been Ryu. He's a basic, pretty solid character that relies on fundamentals and not too much on gimmicks. Using him kinda gives a platform/skillset from which to experiment with other characters.

I've thought about this as well.

On a side note regarding fundamentals, at a theory level I knew there are character agnostic fundamentals, but when I had only seriously played and gotten into it with one character (Rufus) I never really experienced it. After picking up Yang, I notice improvements when I go back to Rufus even if I'm just messing around. It definitely surprised me.

AkumaHokoru said:
someone just said...they only pick yun...because he is the only character they can win with...

-stares with a look of pure disgust-

not because you like the char.
not because you are good with the char.
because he is easy to win with...

Now you can win tournaments yay.

oh and kadey's stream is back she's testing now

That would Dementia. -_-

Seems like Kadey got her PC up and running, good job homegirl. :D

Corky said:
I don't know why but I really want my character to be "unique".

Yeah, it's so hard with the more quirky characters and getting used to their tools take so much time to adapt...and the execution is usually higher. I tried learning Makoto when AE came out but I ate so many losses (usually random reversals). It's demoralizing

I learned from playing Ryu for a few weeks that I win a lot more just knowing my buttons and spacing, anti-airing, and outpoking my opponents out than going for complex setups. I started applying that thinking with other characters (Guy, Makoto, etc) I am trying and I was winning a lot more against those infuriating mashers and flowcharters, instead of trying to do fancy pressure stuff. And then I try to build from there.

don't get me wrong though, I still eat a buttload of random DPs though T_T

rivals

AkumaHokoru said:

Just saw this. If she starts streaming PC at all I am ready to get blown up. I need so much practice it's not even funny.

holdbrillanj

Neo Member
toasty_T said:
Thinking about picking an alt that's slightly more offensive than Vega. Thing is my execution is trash, hence Vega, since he's a more footsie.

What's a good gateway character to get used to a more rushdown style? I'm thinking about Rufus but his gelatinous body disgusts me.

Since you already played vega and is used to horrible wakeups, cody could be for you.

LProtag

I'm going to start with Ryu and then, even though it's going to be a challenge, I think I'm going to try Makoto. She just seems fun. The idea of a challenge is kinda nice, and I'd also really like to get good at reading opponents as I think that's my favorite aspect of the game so I'd like to play someone who capitalizes on that.

This is all tentative, if I find someone who I like better I'll play them.

If you need another player for PSN gaf bats I am hankerin to take my best bipson out of retirement.

Maybe i'll jump on the gaf chat later tonight if im not busy (been busy for the last couple months, not much vidya gaming)

BotoxAgent said:
lately, my second alt has been Ryu. He's a basic, pretty solid character that relies on fundamentals and not too much on gimmicks. Using him kinda gives a platform/skillset from which to experiment with other characters.

I was thinking I need a 50/50 mixup character to balance it out. Maybe T.Hawk.

That's funny because I was thinking about pickin up T.Hawk as a secondary character. Akuma is my main.

LProtag

Also another random question:

I'm planning on picking up UMvC3 when it comes out. How hard is it to juggle 2 games in your mind? Is it totally going to throw me off of one or the other? Will I be trying to do moves that only work in one game in the other, or is it more like the difference between playing with different characters?

I mean, is it easy to separate the two games in your mind or is that a skill I'd have to learn as well?

Also thanks for all the advice you guys have been giving me. Can't wait to play with some of you on PSN when I get everything I need.

Dahbomb

I play both and it throws me off a lot. I played SSF4AE a ton these days and just recently went back to MVC3 and I was taken a back by the increased speed and easier combos that are almost mashable (I was trying to link the magic series when I got back into MVC3 HAHAHA!). Of course I adjusted within time once the muscle memory kicked in but it felt awkward.

Some people do it better than others. They are two very different fighting games with emphasis on different stuff.

AkumaHokoru said:
someone just said...they only pick yun...because he is the only character they can win with...

Winning is fun for some people.

i was pretty good with sagat/ryu but man i suck with yun. no idea what i should do. i just run around like a chicken with his head chopped off.

InsertNameHere said:

I'm planning on picking up UMvC3 when it comes out. How hard is it to juggle 2 games in your mind? Is it totally going to throw me off of one or the other? Will I be trying to do moves that only work in one game in the other, or is it more like the difference between playing with different characters?

I mean, is it easy to separate the two games in your mind or is that a skill I'd have to learn as well?

Also thanks for all the advice you guys have been giving me. Can't wait to play with some of you on PSN when I get everything I need.

I tried both. I can't do it. I don't have the time to keep up with both. But if you have the time, you can definitely do it.

Triple Oceans said:
That's funny because I was thinking about pickin up T.Hawk as a secondary character. Akuma is my main.

yeah, I feel like I need to learn a command-grab character and T.hawk scares the shit out of me. I wanna be other the side of the fun this time, lol.

Morris

Disco Devil
AkumaHokoru said:

I've been playing him nearly exclusively since AE DLC came out and I seriously don't know why everyone says he's so easy to play.

Lately i've been joining random endless lobbies with Yun and I always do poorly, losing to peeps I know I shouldn't be losing to, then I get salty and switch to Dudley and start dominating... Dunno what's wrong with me since I like to think Yun suits my heavy rushdown playstyle pretty damn well...

Also, dropping lp shoulder xx geneijin xx RH is an absolute moral loss for me, I always go for that and I drop it like 50% of the time. Any tips?

Or maybe I should start scrubbing it up, building meter and abusing his retardedly good and easy target combo hit confirm into geneijin....

kitzkozan

InsertNameHere said:

Juggling multiple game is going to become harder and harder, especially if you plan on being competitive.

You probably saw the level of competition for SFIV AE at EVO so it speak for itself. MvC3 will probably become a far more credible and competitive game with UMvC3 so juggling both will be near impossible unless you don't care much about winning. :p As you saw at EVO, nobody was able to make top 8 in both SFIV AE and MvC3 since they focused more on one or the other. Juggling between each game can eventually screw up your timing in the other game, but that's gonna have an effect on you mostly if you care about winning.

But if you just play for fun, you will be able to play both if you have plenty of time on your hand. Because with UMvC3 also having spectator mode and better netcode, the amount of online play will increase significantly for everyone so you also invest more time...

LProtag

kitzkozan said:
Juggling multiple game is going to become harder and harder, especially if you plan on being competitive.

You probably saw the level of competition for SFIV AE at EVO so it speak for itself. MvC3 will probably become a far more credible and competitive game with UMvC3 so juggling both will be near impossible unless you don't care much about winning. :p As you saw at EVO, nobody was able to make top 8 in both SFIV AE and MvC3 since they focused more on one or the other. Juggling between each game can eventually screw up your timing in the other game, but that's gonna have an effect on you mostly if you care about winning.

But if you just play for fun, you will be able to play both if you have plenty of time on your hand. Because with UMvC3 also having spectator mode and better netcode, the amount of online play will increase significantly for everyone so you also invest more time...

Considering I'm just getting into fighting games for the first time ever I don't think I'll ever be competitive. I just want to have fun and get decent at them.

Chavelo

the_log_ride said:
/looks at Chavelo with disgust

sad.gif

Really sorry about that. :-(

AkumaHokoru said:

cops_agree_gif.gif

Chavelo said:
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/mnstot/GIFs/sad.gif[IMG]

[B]Really sorry about that. :-([/B]

[IMG]http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/approval/grand/cops_agree_gif.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

'All good, homey. I think gibration posted to join. We should be all set... *knock on wood*

LProtag

Professor Beef said:
Thinking about dropping Ibuki and going 100% T. Hawk.

My body is ready.

Do you play on PSN or XBox Live?

I feel like we need to fight each other eventually. It just has to be.

LProtag

Professor Beef said:
PSN.

I'm no slouch. This will be a true battle.

Awesome. I don't even have a fightstick yet, I'm trying to work out a deal and if that falls through I'll have to wait for a TE to go on sale for less than 100, haha.

So... you'll beat me because I don't even know when I'm getting the game. I just want to fight you. Haha.

Satyamdas

Banned
Lost Fragment said:
Upon further inspection, that's apparently the same guy that did this (if his sig is to be believed), so I think he's just trolling.
I don't get what is so trollish about his letter to Daigo? Sure it is kind of melodramatic, but the point he was making is valid. All this superfluous "villains vs. heroes", "heel vs. face", "God vs. Ham n Egger" shit is like some weird attempt by players and observers to shoehorn wrestling storyline drama into something that doesn't really need it.

Does being cast as the "villain" bother Daigo, or have any effect on his psyche? I don't know, but probably not. Did Latif beating Daigo send out shockwaves of hope and inspiration to players everywhere that we too can beat the best if we just train harder? I doubt it, but then again with this "David vs. Goliath" mentality of making things bigger than they actually are I'm sure there are players like that OP who see Latif beat Daigo and get inspired/motivated by it.

So no, you are not a "villain", but a "sparring partner" and a "companion" in the collective mission of every player to become the best he can be.
So I hope to see you next time, stronger than ever, "doing your thing" and encouraging all of us work even harder.

Maybe I'm just not cynical enough to see that and think "troll".

Satyamdas said:
I don't get what is so trollish about his letter to Daigo? Sure it is kind of melodramatic, but the point he was making is valid. All this superfluous "villains vs. heroes", "heel vs. face", "God vs. Ham n Egger" shit is like some weird attempt by players and observers to shoehorn wrestling storyline drama into something that doesn't really need it.

Does being cast as the "villain" bother Daigo, or have any effect on his psyche? I don't know, but probably not. Did Latif beating Daigo send out shockwaves of hope and inspiration to players everywhere that we too can beat the best if we just train harder? I doubt it, but then again with this "David vs. Goliath" mentality of making things bigger than they actually are I'm sure there are players like that OP who see Latif beat Daigo and get inspired/motivated by it.

So no, you are not a "villain", but a "sparring partner" and a "companion" in the collective mission of every player to become the best he can be.
So I hope to see you next time, stronger than ever, "doing your thing" and encouraging all of us work even harder.

Maybe I'm just not cynical enough to see that and think "troll".

Exactly. From my understanding, guys such as Daigo and others don't browse or post on SRK. It just seemed like the letter was more so for the FGC (that posts on SRK) than for "Daigo".

Kimosabae

Banned
kitzkozan said:

Honestly, I like to consider the fact that so many fighting games are out and competitive; while many new bodies have entered the competitive pool and increased competition in terms of numbers; that this occurrence may have diluted the pool in terms of collective talent for each respective game. One factor of many lowering each game's potential ceiling via scattering the force of many of each game's most dedicated fighting game players.

Think about it: if the entire FGC was focused on only one game - it'd be much easier for every player to focus on that one game, keeping the collective's blades sharper, thus, making competition tighter (though, likely, the pool would be smaller). Everyone playing that game would be much better at it because their focus is less scattered.

the_log_ride said:
I pop in every now and then. My brain is still throbbing after reading the AE Update suggestion thread.

It's funny how unrealistic they can be over there at times when it comes to buffs/nerfs.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
the_log_ride said:
I pop in every now and then. My brain is still throbbing after reading the AE Update suggestion thread.

I put on my hazmat suit and browse the character specific forums every time I'm learning a new guy.

Triple Oceans said:
It's funny how unrealistic they can be over there at times when it comes to buffs/nerfs.

I haven't checked our thread in a while, but I hope it hasn't gone the same route. Some people can't help wanting better tools for their mains, but you can't be selfish. I'm fine if 'Sim doesn't get anything for ver2012. You take away too much and he's crap, but if they gave him a couple of buffs here and there, he'd be terrifying.

I thought the Daigo letter was funny because it presumes that Daigo gives a fuck about being viewed as a villain. Unless of course he came out in an interview commenting on that. I could be wrong.

the_log_ride said:
I haven't checked our thread in a while, but I hope it hasn't gone the same route. Some people can't help wanting better tools for their mains, but you can't be selfish. I'm fine if 'Sim doesn't get anything for ver2012. You take away too much and he's crap, but if they gave him a couple of buffs here and there, he'd be terrifying.

I thought the Daigo letter was funny because it presumes that Daigo gives a fuck about being viewed as a villain. Unless of course he came out in an interview commenting on that. I could be wrong.

Nah I don't think you are. If anything, he's still probably enjoying his 1st place winnings from last years EVO.

Triple Oceans said:
Nah I don't think you are. If anything, he's still probably enjoying his 1st place winnings from last years EVO.
It must be nice to live for longer than a year off $4k. Unless MMs made up the difference.

Actually Daigo has a regular job.

Top Bottom