• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
gg brillan, hope you weren't that bored because I felt going into moron-auto pilot like I do after all hope is lost. You were styling with those everything into ultra moves with him though :D. I just wish it was possible to jump in on deejay, since my brain knows nothing else than "jump in attack braaaains...."

Also who the hell was it here who fooled me that his assy ex upkicks didn't hit low? I was spamming c.lk and kept eating them. Maybe ya'll meant low like dhalsim c.hp from entire screen away...

So brillanj, other than stupid corky things (TM), what have I learned today?

1) Don't have your greenhand blocked
2) Figure out giefs AA, and don't take "lariat" as an answer because don't believe their lies
3) Don't pick U2 against 99% of the cast
4) use far mp more

_dementia said:
What does this even mean?

Those who just drop them like a hot potato due to the changes as opposed to the ones who will manage to stick it out, make the necessary adjustments and still be successful.

xxxstylzxxx said:
Those who just drop them like a hot potato due to the changes as opposed to the ones who will manage to stick it out, make the necessary adjustments and still be successful.
I don't know how much you know about fightmans games (I'm an expert), but to you need to pick top tiers be successful competitively. I considered Mago a Sagat expert, and Daigo a Ryu expert in SF4, but they did the right thing in switching to the characters they did for AE.

So, I guess they aren't true Sagat/Ryu players. But they are successful players!

holdbrillanj

Neo Member
Corky said:
Also who the hell was it here who fooled me that his assy ex upkicks didn't hit low? I was spamming c.lk and kept eating them.

Gief is big. One of the few it hits anyway, but even against him it sometimes wiff.

Gief pokes > deejay anything. Just walk forward and press buttons.

Oh, and never use focus attack with gief and dash forward lol

Corky

holdbrillanj said:
Gief is big. One of the few it hits anyway, but even against him it sometimes wiff.

Ah, I keep thinking in terms of blanka hitbox I gotta stop with that, playing sagat for 2 days should've taught me that lesson.

Oh, and never use focus attack with gief and dash forward lol

Yeah I noticed that :'[...too late.

Give me more man more! I ain't playing seth now, don't tell me you don't llike gief either :'( sensei. Also am I just stupid or is fierce green hand unsafe even on hit ?

USD

xxxstylzxxx said:
I guess now we'll be seeing who the true Yun and Yang players are.
I've never understood when people do the whole "true ______________."

kayohands31jxy.gif

Wanna tier whore? Go for it. Wanna be a low-tier masochist? Don't see a problem with that. Wanna play a character you like and still suck at the game, regardless of how good or shitty the character may actually be? Join the club.

lol unrelated Kayo gif

_dementia said:
I don't know how much you know about fightmans games (I'm an expert), but to you need to pick top tiers be successful competitively. I considered Mago a Sagat expert, and Daigo a Ryu expert in SF4, but they did the right thing in switching to the characters they did for AE.

So, I guess they aren't true Sagat/Ryu players. But they are successful players!

Been playing fighting games competitively since the days of SF2 and I'm fully aware of and in agreement with the Sirlin philosophy of playing to win. Daigo and Mago made their decisions based on extensive play testing while coming to the realization that Fei and Yun were just too good to pass up. I guess I'm specifically referring to those who, at this point, can't jump off the proverbial bandwagon fast enough before any play testing has even begun simply because much of the mindless BS that made the twins Godtier has now been tweaked/removed. Even with the changes much of what makes the twins effective is more or less intact so they may still be viable in high level play without them having such an overwhelming advantage in certain matchups (Yun vs. Sim).

Corky

USD said:

Me neither, if I had to pick a who counts as my main I guess I'd say balrog but I dropped that mutha like THAT with the changes they made to him in AE. If he was high tier, I doubt he has changed with those small changes, but for me it was enough to annoy the shit out of me and find greener pastures.

Like the chest of zangief.

Holy shit, I'm just hearing about Deejay getting an Ultra cancel from Super. Not as good as EX Sobat crumple, but a reason to save EX I guess.

PhatSaqs

Banned
USD said:

Wanna tier whore? Go for it. Wanna be a low-tier masochist? Don't see a problem with that. Wanna play a character you like and still suck at the game, regardless of how good or shitty the character may actually be? Join the club.
I think it's an old skool, nostalgic way of thinking. Back in the day peeps pretty much stuck to one character and kind of became identified as "the"player for that character. So if someone spoke about "the ______ player" everyone knew exactly who they were.

I'm old skool so yeah, fuck a tier whore and fuck running with OP characters just because they are OP.

<---- Low tier whore and losing in tournaments since 1990 :p

PhatSaqs said:
I think it's an old skool, nostalgic way of thinking. Back in the day peeps pretty much stuck to one character and kind of became identified as "the"player for that character. So if someone spoke about "the ______ player" everyone knew exactly who they were.

I'm old skool so yeah, fuck a tier whore and fuck running with OP characters just because they are OP.

That's weird to me.

I mean, it's not like 3S Yun players played the guy in CVS2.

Mike M said:
Is there an SSF4 metatag for XBL like we've got going with GAF 3S for Third Strike?
Kuugrr set up GAF SSF4 ages ago. No idea if it's still active.

There is an IRC channel that XBL guys typically use for matchmaking instead AFAIK

Corky

So people talking about "vangiefs way " of doing walk up 720 with gief. What are they talking about?

USD

PhatSaqs said:

I mean I understand the old-school mentality, but I don't see the point in looking down on anyone who isn't from the same school of thought.

Anyway, is it just me, or is Fuerte's RSF the most hype combo in the game? Watching Spab Rog last night, I got hype every time I saw it.

Corky

holdbrillanj said:
All greenhands except EX are unsafe on hit.

And zangief is also boring to play against. Gotta zone him or get blown up

Daaamn :(

Bah, you don't even need to be on your toes to play my day 0 gief so it's not like you'll get blown up by any stretch of the imagination :p

holdbrillanj said:
Think its c.lk, buffer 360, walk forward then 360 PPP

Wow, the 360 input is buffered that long? I mean long enough for the c.lk animation to stop, then walk for a small instant, and then do another 360 ?

LakeEarth

I don't know what "Vangief's Way" is, but the standard way to walk forward 720 is to do any move, and during that animation go from up, then 270º counter-clockwise to forward (I'm assuming you're on the left). This is where you get a split second to walk forward. Then swing the controller 270º clockwise to up and hit 3p.

Yun got off easy, he'll still easily be upper tier. But Yang, DAMN. I guess they knew how much potential he had. But still none of these changes are final.

LProtag

biosnake20 said:
Yun got off easy, he'll still easily be upper tier. But Yang, DAMN. I guess they knew how much potential he had. But still none of these changes are final.

It's kind of weird to think of how they had to look at what was programed in and also what people were doing with it and take both things into account when making changes.

At least, I assumed that's what they did.

Imm0rt4l

I'm glad that yun and yang scrubs can't spam that back strong, fierce, fierce target combo with impunity even after the first 2 hits.

I'm curious what stealth changes are made, since they never really outline all changes.

PhatSaqs

Banned
_dementia said:
That's weird to me.

I mean, it's not like 3S Yun players played the guy in CVS2.
For me at least, it has less to do with simply playing a character and more to do with playing them JUST because they are strong. It's akin to being a Lakers fan because they win a lot and then switching to the next hot team. Different mindsets, different strokes, etc..

To each their own I guess. Hell I played Y/Y in SF3 NG where they were also OP as hell lol. *shrug*. As long as you're having fun so be it and more power to ya.

Corky

LakeEarth said:
I don't know what "Vangief's Way" is, but the standard way to walk forward 720 is to do any move, and during that animation go from up, then 270º counter-clockwise to forward (I'm assuming you're on the left). This is where you get a split second to walk forward. Then swing the controller 270º clockwise to up and hit 3p.

Ah thanks, I had no idea that the 720 motion could be "divided" in both directions.

Wiseblade said:
Yes, I miss it so.

Huh, RSF is in AE , isn't it?

El Sloth

Banned
DBSak > Uryo
_dementia said:
Here's a meme I haven't seen for a while! Should have done the full thing.

Nose Master

What is with the overhead combos? It's nice that Cody's overhead is more safe now, but +5 on hit (standing)? When the hell are you going to hit a standing opponent with that? Same thing with a fully charged rock crusher for Blanka.

That said, Dan taunts building meter and general Cody buffs are grrrrreat.

Nose Master said:
What is with the overhead combos? It's nice that Cody's overhead is more safe now, but +5 on hit (standing)? When the hell are you going to hit a standing opponent with that? Same thing with a fully charged rock crusher for Blanka.

Yeah. Adon's overhead also has always been able to start combos... on standing opponents.

Nose Master said:

That sounds hilarious. They build meter from just throwing them out? Or do they have to hit the opponent?

Noaloha

jlai said:
Aaaand.. sploodge.

EDIT: I have mixed feelings towards Dan's utility taunt. On this here practical hand I'm all for it, grinning, loving that Dan'll have a means--and a carrot--to HP+HK with gusto. On that there nerdful hand however, I'm just bummed to think that all Dan players will taunt now and do so purely for competitive reasons, rather than for the 'proper' yes-I'm-playing-Dan-and-this-is-what-Dan-does reason.

Basically: I liked being able to spot that particular breed of Dan player who cares enough to roleplay.

Wiseblade

Dan buiolding meter off whiffed crouching and jumping taunt would be pretty broken. They're fast enough that you could totally squeeze one inbetween everything you do.

Top Bottom