• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR2K

Banned
I got solid green bars on xbox live, all I get is yellow on PSN. My 360 was connected to my laptop and my PS3 was a direct wireless signal. Could that have made the significant difference?

fubarduck

DR2K said:
I got solid green bars on xbox live, all I get is yellow on PSN. My 360 was connected to my laptop and my PS3 was a direct wireless signal. Could that have made the significant difference?

Yes, it makes a big difference. The problem with PS3 is even if you're wired, most people (like you) use the built-in wireless so there are still more yellow bar / worse connections.

vocab

fubarduck said:
Yes, it makes a big difference. The problem with PS3 is even if you're wired, most people (like you) use the built-in wireless so there are still more yellow bar / worse connections.

Yup. Since the 360 now has built in wireless, expect more yellow bar/worse connections to show up on XBL very soon. P2P for the fucking lose.

Wahh I want wireless on my xbox

Boo to MS to caving to the wireless douches with the new 360. you can almost always tell who is using a wireless connection. however those guys cant pull the plug when they lose now.

Wireless internet + gaming has almost never been a good mix (portables are naturally the exception but even they have issues)

PhatSaqs

Banned
If only Capcom would disable online play if no ethernet cable is detected :lol.
Do it Capcom.

EDIT: Or maybe make a "Wired Connections Only" filter.

PhatSaqs said:
If only Capcom would disable online play if no ethernet cable is detected :lol.
Do it Capcom.
this and disable autofire online oh god. heaven. I swear my win ratio would be in the high 70s low 80s if it werent for autofire. almost every time I think hey that was a good match i should save it...autofire. everytime i think hey...something is iffy about that match. autofire.

PhatSaqs said:
If only Capcom would disable online play if no ethernet cable is detected :lol. Or maybe make a "Wired Connections Only" filter.

Do it Capcom.

Or at least make it a filter. That would be great. And what Akuma said.

Sutanreyu

AkumaHokoru said:
this and disable autofire online oh god. heaven. I swear my win ratio would be in the high 70s low 80s if it werent for autofire. almost every time I think hey that was a good match i should save it...autofire. everytime i think hey...something is iffy about that match. autofire.

Play better, IMO.

I've never even seen people use the Turbo function on their pads/sticks.

Last time I asked you guys what all your favorite "fuck meter" combos were.

This time, I want to know what everyone's "secret weapon" combos are.

What combos do you use when you have a REALLY big opportunity, like a stunned opponent or a whiffed Ultra?

Dudley:

jFP, cFP, RH xx EX MGB, cRH, Ultra 2. 559 dmg, 705 stun
meterless variant: jFP, cFP, RH xx Fierce MGB 395 dmg, 671 stun
combo base: jFP, cFP, RH 304 dmg, 522 stun

2mxq12.gif

God's Beard said:

What combos do you use when you have a REALLY big opportunity, like a stunned opponent or a whiffed Ultra?

Dudley:

2mxq12.gif

if you can do that combo every time you are gdlk. I have a hard time.

Meh. After watching EVO I can't stomach watching myself doing stupid shit and being so slow at improving and picking up stuff, I guess I'll just take a break.

SephirothRK said:
if you can do that combo every time you are gdlk. I have a hard time.
It took me almost an hour to get the timing down for cFP, RH, but now that I've got that the rest is as easy as any other Dudley BNB. Of course, if you get lucky with a counter hit the timing is pretty free :D Now the problem is figuring out good setups. I'm probably gonna have to rely on a lot of focus attacks :lol

Hugbot

Holy Order Sol said:
Meh. After watching EVO I can't stomach watching myself doing stupid shit and being so slow at improving and picking up stuff, I guess I'll just take a break.
Yeah, during the weekend it's all hype and "if I practice I can totally hold my own in the pools at least," then Monday comes and I load up training mode and drop really simple combos time and again. Nothing to do but put in the hours, I guess.

knee

LakeEarth said:
That sucks, but the ultra does step forward a bit. EX MGB walk forward ultra wouldn't be possible if it didn't.

I've been having a hell of a time doing that consistently. :(

cHaotix8

God's Beard said:

Dudley:

2mxq12.gif

You get better damage and stun doing jFP, Kidney Blow, st. RH xx EX MGB, Ducking straight, Ultra 2/lp. MGB. It's a bit harder though. Don't have my numbers on me but I know the one without ultra is pushing, if not passing, 500 damage with just one ex bar.

You can also do jFP, Kidney Blow, st. RH xx lp. Jet Upper, lp. MGB in the corner for good damage with no meter. It also does a ton of stun.

But then again, who's gonna let you jump in on them with Dudley when they aren't stunned? :( You can start from Kidney Blow though if you use frame traps. :D

Crouching Fierce to standing roundhouse is a one frame link and isn't really practical. Just using Kidney Blow does pretty much the same damage and stun in big combos and it's only a 2 frame link.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
God's Beard said:

Chun-Li: Neutral jump fierce into c HP xx mk SBK or whatever.

Papi

So I had a mirror match today. My 1 hour 300BP Guile VS some scrub 4500BP Guile.
I beat him and he sends me a lovely message
01.jpg

I reply with
02.jpg

He calls me a dumbfuck and I reply with: u mad?

He then challenges me again and we do another Guile mirror. I seriously just downback for both rounds and flash kick the scrub about 15 times. He sends me this
05.jpg

So I reply with this
06.jpg

(My Guile is so shit!)

cHaotix8 said:
You get better damage and stun doing jFP, Kidney Blow, st. RH xx EX MGB, Ducking straight, Ultra 2/lp. MGB. It's a bit harder though. Don't have my numbers on me but I know the one without ultra is pushing, if not passing, 500 damage with just one ex bar.

You can also do jFP, Kidney Blow, st. RH xx lp. Jet Upper, lp. MGB in the corner for good damage with no meter. It also does a ton of stun.

But then again, who's gonna let you jump in on them with Dudley when they aren't stunned? :( You can start from Kidney Blow though if you use frame traps. :D
Are you sure? I used to do f+mk, RH xx EX MGB, ducking straight, l MGB, Ultra 2, but I'm pretty sure it did less damage. It might be because I never started it with a jumping attack, though. Either way, f+mk is definitely an easier combo opener than cRH :lol
Maybe jFP, RH xx EX MGB, ducking straight, lp MGB, U2 does more damage? That's 3 hard links vs 1, though.

I should probably be looking at the Dudley forums, everything I've learned about SSF4 Dudley I got from training mode and replays. Probably wasting a lot of time trying to figure out what works and doesn't :-(

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Hugbot said:
Yeah, during the weekend it's all hype and "if I practice I can totally hold my own in the pools at least," then Monday comes and I load up training mode and drop really simple combos time and again. Nothing to do but put in the hours, I guess.

Getting combos down is crucial of course, but I think a lot of new players underestimate the pressure of playing in a real-life tournament. That can drop skill levels by 50% or more. I went into a tourney thinking, "Hey nobody knows what I am, if I win a match cool, but I'm just here to have fun". I thought there would be no pressure whatsoever since I'm a nobody, but there I was in my first match, missing easy Balrog combos and being acutely aware of the crowd behind me watching the fight. If I were sitting at home playing online, I'm confident I would have been able to beat the guy.

Then in my next match in loser's bracket, I had to play Yipes. I'm an online player so I'm not used to players sitting next to me, smacking the buttons as hard as Yipes does. I dunno, maybe I just have a problem with nerves and getting distracted.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that if you don't have tourney experience, start going to locals and getting used to the environment!

God's Beard said:

Any Character:
jp.HK, cr.HK

Shhhhhhhh

Don't let anyone else know...

imtehman

Banned
SnowWolf said:
Getting combos down is crucial of course, but I think a lot of new players underestimate the pressure of playing in a real-life tournament. That can drop skill levels by 50% or more. I went into a tourney thinking, "Hey nobody knows what I am, if I win a match cool, but I'm just here to have fun". I thought there would be no pressure whatsoever since I'm a nobody, but there I was in my first match, missing easy Balrog combos and being acutely aware of the crowd behind me watching the fight. If I were sitting at home playing online, I'm confident I would have been able to beat the guy.

Then in my next match in loser's bracket, I had to play Yipes. I'm an online player so I'm not used to players sitting next to me, smacking the buttons as hard as Yipes does. I dunno, maybe I just have a problem with nerves and getting distracted.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that if you don't have tourney experience, start going to locals and getting used to the environment!

i was pretty nervous the one time i played sf4 at an arcade, i can't even imagine playing in a tournament

cHaotix8

God's Beard said:
Are you sure? I used to do f+mk, RH xx EX MGB, ducking straight, l MGB, Ultra 2, but I'm pretty sure it did less damage. It might be because I never started it with a jumping attack, though. Either way, f+mk is definitely an easier combo opener than cRH :lol
Maybe jFP, RH xx EX MGB, ducking straight, lp MGB, U2 does more damage? That's 3 hard links vs 1, though.

I should probably be looking at the Dudley forums, everything I've learned about SSF4 Dudley I got from training mode and replays. Probably wasting a lot of time trying to figure out what works and doesn't :-(

Using Cr. Fierce instead of Kidney blow in the same combo gets you a little more damage but it's like less than 10 I believe. It also does less stun as well if I remember correctly. I don't have any of my sticks on me right now so I can't check, but I'm pretty sure that's right.

Another reason why I use Kidney Blow instead of cr. Fierce is that you don't get as much push back and you can cancel a lp. jet upper off of the standing roundhouse for a lp. mgb in the corner (which also serves as a meterless super setup for around five hundred twenty something damage).

When it comes to combos, I pretty much ignore the forums as I believe I've found all of Dudley's best combos on my own using training mode the first week. I think it's one of the better ways to learn your character as well.

Using lp. MGB before an U2 Setup does crappy damage so just ducking straight after ex MGB is the best unless you can land the cr. RH x2 one frame link consistently. This one is tricky at first, but once you get it down you'll want to land it every time just because it's so good, and looks badass.

DR2K

Banned
fubarduck said:

But the X360 is receiving a signal from my wireless laptop. So isn't it technically wireless? I had no issues with connectivity on vanilla SFIV for PS3 either.

Threi

notag
Rocky_Balboa said:
Dee Jay vs Honda. I think Dee Jay has the advantage in this match up. Although I still didn't do a great job.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH6_S1d8Iys
Nice reactions, I liked when you FA'd honda's neutral jumping fierce. Like I said on SRK slide seems to beat all of Honda's jumpins except one (the one where he slices downwards). I've only played one Honda that knew that (I think it was a GAFfer) but besides that yeah I think the matchup is in DeeJay's favor.

I have to ask though why were you sitting on full super the entire match? Were you planning to combo into it? Because a lot of those blocked headbutts could be punished with EX Sobat.

Anyways can you give advice on the DeeJay/Rog matchup? I could use some tips :)

Hugbot

Papi said:
(My Guile is so shit!)
But his is the chapion, stop using supers.

Yeah, I get real bad nerves since I can barely manage combos in training mode, so the chance I had to play SF4 in a smoky japanese arcade I was dropping left and right. I imagine I'll have tournament nerves something fierce once i start going, but no real way to get over those but to keep at it.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
prodystopian said:
Or at least make it a filter. That would be great. And what Akuma said.
capcom needs to make so many adjustments to their online system I don't even know where to begin

"at least it's functional" was an alright excuse for SF4 but not for super.

cHaotix8 said:
Using Cr. Fierce instead of Kidney blow in the same combo gets you a little more damage but it's like less than 10 I believe. It also does less stun as well if I remember correctly. I don't have any of my sticks on me right now so I can't check, but I'm pretty sure that's right.

Another reason why I use Kidney Blow instead of cr. Fierce is that you don't get as much push back and you can cancel a lp. jet upper off of the standing roundhouse for a lp. mgb in the corner (which also serves as a meterless super setup for around five hundred twenty something damage).

When it comes to combos, I pretty much ignore the forums as I believe I've found all of Dudley's best combos on my own using training mode the first week. I think it's one of the better ways to learn your character as well.

Using lp. MGB before an U2 Setup does crappy damage so just ducking straight after ex MGB is the best unless you can land the cr. RH x2 one frame link consistently. This one is tricky at first, but once you get it down you'll want to land it every time just because it's so good, and looks badass.
I miss Dudley's magic juggles from 3s :-(

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
DR2K said:
But the X360 is receiving a signal from my wireless laptop. So isn't it technically wireless? I had no issues with connectivity on vanilla SFIV for PS3 either.
that is still wireless, bro

vg260

God's Beard said:

Dudley:

2mxq12.gif

The cFP to RH is a link, right?

Link combos will never be BnBs for me :(

DR2K

Banned
bistromathics said:
that is still wireless, bro

The quality was excellent on x360, even with wireless connection. It's not like that on PS3. My 360 was connected to a laptop, I was wondering if that would make a difference. Or is the online for PS3 inferior?

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
DR2K said:
The quality was excellent on x360, even with wireless connection. It's not like that on PS3. My 360 was connected to a laptop, I was wondering if that would make a difference. Or is the online for PS3 inferior?
the online's inferior :(

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Unless the 360 is pulling an Apple on you. ;)

SnowWolf said:
The first tourney I went to I hadn't slept much so I was running on hype alone and wasn't really able to feel pressure. The second time I had gotten sleep and it was like the spring on my stick suddenly became loose.

XenoRaven

Hitokage said:
Except you aren't starting at square one. You'd be learning things fundamental to the game as a whole rather than abusing stuff exclusive to one character.

...and fundamentals are what make good Chun players.
I'll consider this. I'm gonna put in more work with Chun for now. I foresee myself actually having the time to play in the coming months and I'll see what develops. If I don't see a significant improvement, or hit a wall somehow, I'll start looking around. Any character you suggest? Abel and Guy are the characters that interest me most besides Chun.

AZ Greg said:
And don't sweat it Xeno. I thought you were much improved over the last time I fought you. And I'm assuming you don't get a ton of Vega practice so it can be hard dealing with some of his stuff. Plus a lot of people don't rushdown so it takes some time to learn to fight against.
Thanks. You were much improved as well. I thought some of the stuff I picked up would help me hang with you, but you bodied me just as bad or worse than in Vanilla. =( It's funny you say a lot of people don't rush down, because two of the people I play most against (you, Botox) rush down. That's why I want to learn to deal with it better. Tired of giving away free rounds where I did nothing but block until I get thrown or caught with a high/low mix up.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
XenoRaven said:
I'll consider this. I'm gonna put in more work with Chun for now. I foresee myself actually having the time to play in the coming months and I'll see what develops. If I don't see a significant improvement, or hit a wall somehow, I'll start looking around. Any character you suggest? Abel and Guy are the characters that interest me most besides Chun.
Furthermore, it's important to dabble in other characters because then you see what they have to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom