• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Some general comments from Godsgarden when they were watching the EVO matches:

-The Japanese players are surprised that Americans are rooting for Justin to lose. Possibly they regard their best player, Daigo, as their "captain". Figured that the American contingency would be behind him, especially against a foreign player.
-They're very impressed by Arturo's Dhalsim. Best US Dhalsim. However, they're surprised to see him lose to Guile.
-At this point, they have already seen Daigo's thrilling FT5 with Arturo. They joked that they wish they could money match in Japan (gambling is illegal in Japan).
-Also surprised that the same Guile lost easily to Henry Cen's Dhalsim, which is more offensive but not as good as Arturo's.
-They are baffled by Justin's random Ultras. They assume that he is trying to catch Jaguar Kicks.
-KSK claims he would not allow Gamerbee to use Jaguar Kick so freely.
-Gamerbee's execution is godlike, as well as his reaction. Very impressive.
-On Killerbee vs Henry Cen, they are surprised that Adon won so easily. They feel that Honda is perhaps one of the most difficult matchups for Adon.
-Mago asks who came in second. KSK responds "Ricky". Mago immediately recognizes as "Ricky Ortiz". "Very dangerous" he says.
-They give a lot of respect to Ricky's ability.
-Ricky Big Bang Typhooning through a point blank EX Hadoken. "impossible" says KSK. "not for Ricky" says Mago. The others agree that it is "not humanly possible". (Later in the match, Ricky does a random Big Bang Typhoon to no effect, maybe confirming that the first one was just an educated guess.)
-Mago said his favorite player is Vangief.
He thinks Justin's ultra select (vs Vangief) and Justin didnt use okizeme are wrong. 
He thinks Rufus have to use okizeme vs Zangief.
-KSK has stated that while the GodsGarden series doesn't currently have foreign players on their votelist, he may consider it due to Evolution results.

-KSK doesn't know why Justin is treated like a villain in US but Daigo is treated like a hero in Japan.
-KSK says there's no way Adon can do that on him all day without getting punished.
-About Gamerbee, they recognized him because they played against them all the time online.
-They are not impressed by Taiwan's level of play.
-They are very impressed by Vangief. "How is he out poking him?"
-About Daigo's match with Arturo. They said Daigo should upload to niconico.
-When watching Marn vs Daigo MM. Daigo is rushing Marn down. KSK says "Stop it! Stop it! I feel for Marn. I know how this feels" and laughs.
-They said Marn was pretty good. Reminds me of (someone).
-"We've been watching for hours. Gama, are you okay?" "I slept earlier"
-Mago wishes he went to Evo. He saw the stream and said that he can beat anyone from USA, even Ricky or Justin's Rufus, but it's a tournament so anything can happen.
-Mago says USA's level compared to Japan is "really low".
-KSK says they have to go next year, and he'll be Mago's translator.

-Mago says he'll go if KSK money matches him.
-They're mentioned about how they would like a Godsgarden-Evo collaboration.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
FindMyFarms said:
Who exactly is that? I'm actually friends with her on facebook, i get so many random friend requests from people in the fighting game community (or i assume they are since they're friends w/ buktooth, wong, etc. etc.)

I think I see her name pop up a lot in streams. Other than that, I don't know her.

If she speaks German then I remember getting into an argument with her about something.

SnowWolf said:
Mago wishes he went to Evo. He saw the stream and said that he can beat anyone from USA, even Ricky or Justin's Rufus, but it's a tournament so anything can happen.

Man BS on that, seriously. You can't talk until you've done it. Come out and win then you can say something.

I'd put $100 on Wong over Mago in a Ft5 any day of the week.

SnowWolf said:

It's surprising they don't understand the Justin villain stuff, because I've heard that Mago is treated in a similar way in Japan. Maybe it's because a large crowd is different than 2ch.

Imm0rt4l

FindMyFarms said:
Man BS on that, seriously. You can't talk until you've done it. Come out and win then you can say something.

yea that part got my attention as well, and I agree Wong could beat mago.

FindMyFarms said:

I like his confidence. It's not like he's saying Justin and Ricky are free.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Tokido and Eita being bodied by not even our very top guys says it all. :D

The gap is closer and they still have an advantage overall but we're definitely not as free as before.

-Mikey-

SnowWolf said:

That is really interesting.

Not surprised by their reactions regarding feelings toward Justin. I really enjoy watching Daigo play but not Justin. But I think that has more to do with him using Rufus because I just can't stand that character. Justin is an amazing player but I would like to see him use someone else and if Evo proved anything it's that top tier isn't always coming out on top.

It's awesome to see the Japanese interested in the SF scene over here. If anything I would like it to be more like Japan. Hope Mago was serious about heading to Evo next year.

AZ Greg

GGs everyone. Gonna grab a bite to eat but will probably start another lobby after that. Sorry for not inviting/responding to you xeno and jlai. Room was full and I was fighting when you guys sent the messages.

AZ Greg said:
GGs everyone. Gonna grab a bite to eat but will probably start another lobby after that. Sorry for not inviting/responding to you xeno and jlai. Room was full and I was fighting when you guys sent the messages.
damnit man. what the hell am i supposed to do about f+rh. it stuffs my only reversal is too fast to do a reaction counter to (you'll hit her during the startup) FRUSTRATED GRUNT.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
If Mago comes to EVO, who is going to take care of his cat?

If he comes here, he has to come with the mentality that the best he can get is second place because he knows Daigo owns him.

AZ Greg said:

Do you guys stream your endless battles?? I'm pretty bored right now. : (

FindMyFarms said:
"Mago says USA's level compared to Japan is "really low"

Almost the same thing

Is he talking overall player skill by country or that our top players are low skilled?

I think our top US players put up a very good show against internationals finest.

nycfurby

Dhalsim's Max CPM Emporium
KS Seven X said:
I actually have no clue who would win between Mago and Wong.

Thanks for the recap Wolf.

Mago vs Wong in vanilla was 7-1 Mago when I saw them play in casual matches @ BigBox. I dunno about SSF4 though.

Just read the cliff notes of godsgarden stream. Damn, Mago is really arrogant. players are still eally arogant despite the skill level becoming closer and close all the time. Tokido actually thought in his head that I would lose to daigo 5-1 or 5-0 or something for example.

And I don't even see how they could not respect Taiwan, obviously GamerBee is very veyr good.

nycfurby said:
Mago vs Wong in vanilla was 7-1 Mago when I saw them play in casual matches @ BigBox. I dunno about SSF4 though.

Just read the cliff notes of godsgarden stream. Damn, Mago is really arrogant. players are still eally arogant despite the skill level becoming closer and close all the time. Tokido actually thought in his head that I would lose to daigo 5-1 or 5-0 or something for example.

I think that's just the nature of the beast ya know. Everyone thinks they are better than what other people think.

riceandbeans said:
Is he talking overall player skill by country or that our top players are low skilled?

I think our top US players put up a very good show against internationals finest.

Obviously top players, as every country has their scrubs, even japan.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
They recently showed NSB. Half of those Japanese players on the stream could have been beaten by many GAF people.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Well here's hoping a large group of US players can somehow get the funding to go to Japan. EVO is supposed to determine the world's best but we can never get everybody in the same place.

nycfurby said:
And I don't even see how they could not respect Taiwan, obviously GamerBee is very veyr good.

They are very impressed with Gamerbee but probably don't respect Taiwan's scene as a whole. Gamerbee is fluent in Japanese and plays top Japan players online all the time. That's probably a large reason for why he got so good.

nycfurby said:

Yeah, Mago's Sagat in SF4 was really good. He was always the favorite in practically every game. Now that super came out, he hasn't been dominant like in vanilla.

Blow him up next year or rather Evo Japan if you have the funds to go.

Edit: Concerning competitive SF, anyone know what happened to 3rd Strike player KO and CvS2 player Ino?

Alucrid

Banned
KS Seven X said:
Yeah, Mago's Sagat in SF4 was really good. He was always the favorite in practically every game. Now that super came out, he hasn't been dominant like in vanilla.

Edit: Concerning competitive SF, anyone know what happened to 3rd Strike player KO and CvS2 player Ino?

I could have sworn I saw matches of him for vanilla.

XenoRaven

AkumaHokoru said:
damnit man. what the hell am i supposed to do about f+rh. it stuffs my only reversal is too fast to do a reaction counter to (you'll hit her during the startup) FRUSTRATED GRUNT.
Crouch and throw tech. That's the only advice I can give you. Not sure if cr short or jab will stuff it once he lands after the little hop. Also, it's df RH, for the record. Not sure if that helps you.

For Art or any of you other Dhalsim players, is there anything you're afraid of when you fight a Dudley? My secondary is Dhalsim so I should know myself, but it seems like they're extremely easy to keep out. My main is Dudley and I have a very very hard time getting in. If they don't abuse yoga sniper or fireballs, I don't really have anything to react to, and I can't use ducking period from more than a few character distances. It doesn't seem like I can punish any normals with EX MGB, am I stuck with focus attacks?

Also, anyone that can help me with these Dudley matchups would be great:

Dhalsim
Seth
Guile
Deejay
Dictator
Chun Li

Victrix

*beard*
-Mikey- said:
That is really interesting.

Not surprised by their reactions regarding feelings toward Justin. I really enjoy watching Daigo play but not Justin. But I think that has more to do with him using Rufus because I just can't stand that character. Justin is an amazing player but I would like to see him use someone else and if Evo proved anything it's that top tier isn't always coming out on top.

I'll second this. I don't have any opinion about Wong one way or another, but I just don't enjoy watching Rufus fight.

As far as entertainment goes, my favorite from Evo was easily Bee, but there were several others that were a good time also (Vangief!), and there were a lot of great matches in the semis on up. I hope they do a highlight reel with the best matches from the tourney.

Daigo is simply too robotic for me to enjoy. He's interesting to watch, but that's not the same as entertaining ;) Someone needs to do one of those animated montages that has his face with the background changing, so we can see 50 tournaments with the same machine playing :lol

Does anyone know if they recorded pool footage?

I will say I'm really, really looking forward to the next Evo - so many characters not strongly represented yet, I'm very curious to see who steps up with the new characters.

nycfurby

Dhalsim's Max CPM Emporium
KS Seven X said:

Yeah, next two months I'm going to try to hustle to get to Evo Japan. team spooky should def be out there, so it might happen. stay tuned.

Kadey, I respect the troll rofl, made me click the link. Is there any way you could get those done assuming I can go to Evo Japan? I would def wea it out there and that would be a real good look.

SnowWolf, Taiwan scene cannot be all that bad. I mean that rufus player that traveled with GamerBee practically trained him in the match to the point where he was able to beat justin. that same rufus took me out of the high stakes tournament. Again, Japanese players can be quite cocky sometimes heh

Gods Beard: I'm terrified when Dudley knocks me down or I am in the corner vs him. That's pretty much it. But then again I havent had a lot of time with real good dudley players in SSF4 so far.

Victrix, pool footage was not recorded at evo. Only semis and up

hitsugi

FindMyFarms said:

you'll get that when Evo Japan happens.. and

"Mago says USA's level compared to Japan is "really low"

I don't think many would argue this. Not even an insult; just a general observation when you have a Chun Li player that backdashes every wake up / recovery in top 8.

_dementia said:
Is Evo Japan going to be double elim?
I noticed most Japanese tourneys opt for single elim, so this had me wondering.

It'll be straight american style 3 rounds, 2/3 matches, double elim w/ 3/5 on finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom