• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gyrian

Apologies for the long post, but I hope you will enjoy it.

The costume announcement made me curious to see what (if any) Capcom had used from the concepts that they had already worked on.
So, I cracked open the SFIV / SSFIV artbook that was released recently.

I selected a few choices left on the table, or that with any luck we may have revealed later.
Quick and dirty pictures follow.

Hakan
Santhakan, Can't-describe-awesome-kan, and Gladiahakan.
Any of these would have been amazing, but I'm also really digging the Turkish outfit.
Clearly, Hakan needs his own costume pack.

hakan1.jpg
hakan2.jpg
hakan3.jpg

Ibuki

ibuki.jpg

Juri
Capcom, I know what you're thinking, but no. Do this, really.
Normal hair, awesome costume. Sold.

juri.jpg

Ken
Vegas Ken? Used car salesman Ken?

ken1.jpg
ken2.jpg

Makoto
I'd love to see any of these of these, except the schoolgirl one. Far weaker.

makoto.jpg

Balrog
Channeling some Dog, for dat Bounty Moneys.

rog.jpg

Rose
Surprised here at how many great options they made for her. Let's hope we end up with one of them.

rose1.jpg
rose2.jpg
rose3.jpg

Rufus
Look at that, very close to what they ended up using.

rufus.jpg

Ryu
On the left, a variation of the outfit a few posts above. Also, fanservice.
It's too bad, my first impression of homeboy Ryu is that it's too out of character.
Not cool looking enough either, to make up for it.

ryu.jpg

Sagat
Blindfold Sagat. YES.

sagat.jpg

Sakura
Among about 50 variations of her gym / swimmer's getup, I found these:

sakura1.jpg
sakura2.jpg

Seth
Sharp-looking Seth, and finally, some clothes.

seth.jpg

Vega
Looking great, and I think it's been requested for a long, long time.

vega.jpg

C. Viper
The only drawing of an outfit that we didn't receive yet. Not bad, not bad.

viper.jpg

Akuma
Oddly enough, there was one for Dan giving him Akuma's haircut and beads.

akuma.jpg

Cammy
Sam Fisher Cammy, and this-is-how-you-do-pants Cammy. I believe the latter was this close to being made?
I'd have taken either of these before catwoman Cammy, as much a cat lover she is. ;_;

cammy1.jpg
cammy2.jpg

Chun Li
Videogame improbable police officer Chun Li, and uh, yes please? :0
Gives me a part Star Gladiator, part Shunya Yamashita vibe. Love it.

chun1.jpg
chun2.jpg

Dhalsim
So simple, and I would love to see this one made reality.

dhal.jpg

Dudley
I really hope the one on the left is off the table.
There is also a variation of the shorts one + bowtie. A gentleman to the end.

dudley.jpg

Fei Long

fei.jpg

El Fuerte
Several Lucha Libre variations, hope they take this route.

fuerte.jpg

Gen
It's probably out of the question, but I'd like to see a non-mummy Gen.
Notice how he's sharing the one on the right with Rufus.

gen.jpg

Gouken
The only unused piece of artwork:

gouken.jpg

Guy
DO. THIS.

guy.jpg

micrometaru.gif

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
WOW these these Alts"

YES
Guy
Makoto, all of them
Ken #2
Ryu, all 3
Sagat
Sakura #1
Vega
Juri

NO
Gouken
Gen
El Fuerte
Fei Long
Hakan
Ibuki
Rose
Rufus
Akuma
Viper
Chun Li
Sim
Dudley

Hope some of these comeout

Gyrian said:
Dudley
I really hope the one on the left is off the table.
There is also a variation of the shorts one + bowtie. A gentleman to the end.

dudley.jpg

WHAT???

y8D16.jpg

After they dropped the ball on Dudley's first alt and didn't give us a yellow jacket, they need to redeem themselves. Tank top and freddie pants isn't enough.

hitsugi

All of that artwork is severely depressing..

look at what we end up with D: nothing even close so far.. Ryu's "homeboy" look is flat out dumb. They have some time to correct this, but why would they?

cammy2.jpg

how does that catwoman outfit win out over THIS?!?! and Guy Strider.. if that happens I'll go back to playing Guy full time.

vg260

At least they finally got the idea that people want Chun-Li's alpha outfit, but give us Cammy's Alpha outfit too, not some Catwoman getup.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
hitsugi said:
All of that artwork is severely depressing..

look at what we end up with D: nothing even close so far.. Ryu's "homeboy" look is flat out dumb. They have some time to correct this, but why would they?

cammy2.jpg

how does that catwoman outfit win out over THIS?!?! and Guy Strider.. if that happens I'll go back to playing Guy full time.
Pants

Cammy should never wear pants

hitsugi

the outfit I just posted > alpha. I would say "wouldn't you prefer something different?" but that's probably how we ended up with a catwoman outfit in the first place....

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Pants

Cammy should never wear pants

by comparison, the catwoman alt is disgusting.. and that's coming from someone that was a huge fan of Batman Returns

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I'd love for Juri to get an alt from one of the bottom right batch of her preliminary designs.

juri-concept-art.jpg

<3 C. Viper's Leona alt

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
OH FOR FUCKS SAKE why do they continue to make such awesome concept art and not use it?

D:

VerTiGo

Banned
I never hated Ken's alternate 1 much. With some color variants it worked but if the alt costumes look significantly worse to the originals they're worthless. For instance, Cowboy Ken is just horrible. Either of the two artworks, would be significantly more awesome. Both of Bison's alts suck too.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Gyrian just double perfected the thread.

all of those sak alts are acceptable.
mak and sak seem to share an outfit.

XenoRaven

There's GOT to be something the good costumes have in common that they can't pull off in that engine. Maybe it's lots of flowing cloth, or lots of intricate folds and shapes. I don't know. But there is no other explanation for this.

Gyrian said:
awesomeness

Is the SFIV artbook import or Udon?

And all of those concepts are great. I wonder why they go left-field with the application. Ken's alts are terrible. Cowboy is funish and probably a nod to Pocket Fighter. But his alts should reflect his personality and rich upbringing. Vegas Ken is more in line. Or something in line with Robert Garcia.

Man, SNK has always been better at design than Capcom's left field.

Askia47

Spiderjericho said:

And all of those concepts are great. I wonder why they go left-field with the application. Ken's alts are terrible. Cowboy is funish and probably a nod to Pocket Fighter. But his alts should reflect his personality and rich upbringing. Vegas Ken is more in line. Or something in line with Robert Garcia.

All of this is from the SF4+SSF4 artbook

Anth0ny

Oh man those costumes are fantastic. What artbook are they from?

And some of them better be in the game. FREDDY MERCURY DUDLEY!

VerTiGo

Banned
Spiderjericho said:

Yeah, I can agree on that completely. They're doing his image a disservice with these outfit alternate's. Original is still best.

hitsugi

XenoRaven said:
There's GOT to be something the good costumes have in common that they can't pull off in that engine. Maybe it's lots of flowing cloth, or lots of intricate folds and shapes. I don't know. But there is no other explanation for this.

the explanation is simple:

WAIT FOR ALT #4 GUYS! :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
AkumaHokoru said:
the only problem with this is...shes a twig. this outfit is on a shaped body...her in game body is super twiggy.

She doesn't have the biggest butt, but she's bound to have some nice thighs and her sideboob indicates that she's big enough up top. I don't think "twig" suits her. Petite is more like it. It could work.

Oh shit. I need to not participate in costume discussions. My nerd is showing. =(

P.S. I actually like Ryu's new alt. It's something Sakura would make him wear if she took him shopping or something. :lol

Rentahamster said:
lol @ Dhalsim's new outfit. I must buy!

Agreed.

Been away for a buddy's wedding, but man it looks like I've missed a bunch of news over this Comic Con weekend. So to summarize as far as FGs go it's the following, right?

New Alts for SSF4
SF x Tekken Official

Is that it? Did I miss anything else?

I was a bit hyped for the crossover game already, but seeing it in motion was badass. Crazy background was crazy (servbot head lol). The new moves Ryu had, weird chains with the normals, and of course Kazuya and Nina onscreen had my mind racing with anticipation.

_Xenon_

Banned
Gyrian said:
Juri
Capcom, I know what you're thinking, but no. Do this, really.
Normal hair, awesome costume. Sold.

juri.jpg
Korean people will probably cry out loud because it's too japanese-stylish but I DON'T CARE! I'll pay 1200 points solely for this fucking thing.

_Xenon_

Banned
AkumaHokoru said:
you're a few days late to the party but its ok. the current loktest build only shows 2 but its more than that.
They had to delay the game back in March and they probably have to release the arcade version before this holiday. I don't think they have enough time to polish more than 2 characters.

Gyrian

Spiderjericho said:

A little late, but yes, this one was published by Capcom Books in Japan.

2hs9fsj.jpg

I've read before that it's definitely confirmed for release over here, too.
It's very likely that it would be through Udon as usual.

It features virtually everything that was done for IV and Super, but then we also got a pretty nice portion of the new material for IV in the SF20 book.
The design pages for Juri and Hakan are rather awesome. Hakan's wife. Wow.

micrometaru.gif

Gyrian said:
Chun Li
Videogame improbable police officer Chun Li, and uh, yes please? :0
Gives me a part Star Gladiator, part Shunya Yamashita vibe. Love it.

chun1.jpg
chun2.jpg

Any of these Chun Li suits would have been better than her lame Alpha suit, especially the cop one. I'm tired of throwbacks, let's see some original stuff.

_Xenon_ said:
They had to delay the game back in March and they probably have to release the arcade version before this holiday. I don't think they have enough time to polish more than 2 characters.
then you greatly underestimate capcom.

hitsugi

riceandbeans said:
Any of these Chun Li suits would have been better than her lame Alpha suit, especially the cop one. I'm tired of throwbacks, let's see some original stuff.

...The Guy throwback to Strider would be nice, though.

Matter of fact I'm pretty sure people were asking for that when Guy was first announced

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
_Xenon_ said:
giving them until the holidays is tons of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom