• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocwell

So I just got back from running some matches with some local guys... going from playing 3 bar matches on psn online to live competition on xbox with those asus evo monitors is such a huge difference. Now I more fully understand all the people who bitch about playing online vs offline. I was dropping combos left and right and screwing up punishes and meaties by going too early, none of my setups were coming out right... I ate so many frame traps :lol On the other hand I was actually able to anti-air people and stuff things on reaction. It's almost like playing a completely different game.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Rocwell said:
So I just got back from running some matches with some local guys... going from playing 3 bar matches on psn online to live competition on xbox with those asus evo monitors is such a huge difference. Now I more fully understand all the people who bitch about playing online vs offline. I was dropping combos left and right and screwing up punishes and meaties by going too early, none of my setups were coming out right... I ate so many frame traps :lol On the other hand I was actually able to anti-air people and stuff things on reaction. It's almost like playing a completely different game.

YES.

This is why I don't even play this game... Cuz the online is no fun for me. :(

Rocwell said:
Lol...this same shit happens to me about a month ago.....Fucking ridiculous the difference. Took me a while to get used to it, but man, dem links!!! Hit them all day offline!

I can't play online for shit anymore, even 3bar/yellow connections blow. Online, HAS NO LINKS!!! inglipguy.jpg.

Rocwell said:

Yep online be online, it is not really the same thing as playing locally with people.

Though online can be good enough if you don't bother taking it seriously.

The type of display you use can also be really detrimental when you play at tournaments or offline in a different location. I use a LCD monitor and TV at home. To me they don't feel that laggy, but I guess it's because I got use to them. For a little while I hadn't played in a tournament using CRT's, and when I did I was missing everything, and I mean everything. I couldn't even do simple chains let alone links, it was that bad. I may get a new monitor soon and I hope that will help fix the problem when I play on CRT again.

As for the online/offline issue, to be honest I don't think it's a big deal as long as the connection is good. If we're talking about a laggy game than that's a different story. But I don't have problems hitting my links in online matches with good connections compared to playing offline. It's just the display that worries me.

hitsugi

MarkMan said:
YES.

This is why I don't even play this game... Cuz the online is no fun for me. :(
Exactly. I don't mind playing like garbage online too much, but when it's 1 bar connections it's no fun for me regardless of win/lose.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
PSN-gaf takes online too seriously, you guys need to do it for the lulz.

At least Kaako, Neo, Rice and a few others are open minded and like to have fun. :p

hitsugi

Conceited said:

At least Kaako, Neo, Rice and a few others are open minded and like to have fun. :p
Sometimes people do enjoy actual competition regardless of the online handicap, which is why I'm able to enjoy most of my matches with Seph despite all of our dropped links, etc

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
hitsugi said:
Sometimes people do enjoy actual competition regardless of the online handicap, which is why I'm able to enjoy most of my matches with Seph despite all of our dropped links, etc

Yeah, for sure, but I play seriously every time I'm in a random endless battle or ranked so it's nice to relax and have fun with people I know sometimes.

Imm0rt4l

Conceited said:

psn gaf too serious? A lot of times we're playing randomselect, characters we don't play or just trolling eachother. We do get some serious matches here and there though.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
El Sloth said:
Doesn't seem like the thread attracted more people either. I blame Mahvel.

Eh, Marvel isn't going to end up being for everybody. I still like SSF4 better.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
El Sloth said:
Doesn't seem like the thread attracted more people either. I blame Mahvel.

No. Marvel has nothing to do with shit OT moving issues.

El Sloth said:
I blame Mahvel.
10562_v.gif

El Sloth

Banned
^I'm perfectly fine with being part of the problem!
Lyte Edge said:
Eh, Marvel isn't going to end up being for everybody. I still like SSF4 better.
That sounds about right, but I just meant that we failed in our *community spotlight* duties in attracting new peeps. All the Marvel hype probably didn't help.

Not like that it's anything serious.

PSN GAF is seriously making me want to start saving up my pennies for a PS3 and try my hand at dual modding my stick. Not having infinite disposal income sucks.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Rocwell said:

Congrats. Welcome to the cult of "fighters should be played offline only." Here's your hood and copy of Blazblue (the only game besides DOA2U on X-box Live with decent netcode, too bad BB still isn't perfect), now bitch in every fighting game thread about online modes (and achievements for whores like me that don't want to be tortured by shit netcode) until they learn to either perfect it or take it out. :|

That sounds about right, but I just meant that we failed in our *community spotlight* duties in attracting new peeps.

No.

GT5
TF2
Halo: Reach
SSF4

all "failed in their 'community spotlight' duties in attracting new people." The whole thing is a sham as it doesn't solve the biggest issue: the stigma of online/community's forum/tab. Until EviLore makes "all |OT|'s go here, news goes in gaming/news tab" community is always gonna be barren and threads are gonna die fast for those that don't check it.

TTOB said:
Yeah, Marvel is basically Smash Bros for people "too cool" for Nintendo fanservice. :p

Hey! At least I know Marvel is broken and totally a fighting game. Unlike Smash Brother fans that think it's a fighting game (it's not) and competitive (it's not).

Imm0rt4l said:
psn gaf too serious? A lot of times we're playing randomselect, characters we don't play or just trolling eachother. We do get some serious matches here and there though.
Lol....all I do is troll anymore.

Yesterday was epic dan time, and epic hokan time. Got a good win streak going too. Lol

I also picked cody and only used 'the boot, as made famouse by Ross.

But its easy to tell when someone actually wants to get a somewhat serious game in, though that is now a rare occasion.

Threi

notag
TheSeks said:
How's that Fox only final destination working out for you?
don't make me defend smash.

but regurgitating memes doesn't count as a counter-argument.

Smash's problems (if we don't count brawl) is more with the playerbase (mostly idiot kids) than the gameplay mechanics. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant, you fight your opponent to win. Sounds like a fighting game to me.

But once again don't make me defend smash, the bullshit spewed from both sides is so childish and detrimental to the community as a whole that it's best to just not even mention it.

Solune

Threi said:

Smash's problems (if we don't count brawl) is more with the playerbase (mostly idiot kids) than the gameplay mechanics. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant, you fight your opponent to win. Sounds like a fighting game to me.

But once again don't make me defend smash, the bullshit spewed from both sides is so childish and detrimental to the community as a whole that it's best to just not even mention it.

Well said good sir, well said.

rocK`

Banned
Threi said:

relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2d2SzRZvsQ

threi, the morgan freeman of the smash community?

Axis

anyone wanna play on xbl? preferably east coast. GT: vexco

my friends list is full so just send me a message :3

Been practicing FADC to avoid FB trapping.

AE can't get here soon enough so I can have a more function Hokan! >:|

Also need to stop using specials just because I have them. I have six other good moves and the alts.

And folks, learn to taunt with style!

FA > Taunt w/ Dan is my move! It doesn't matter if I'm not hurting you, like Conceited says - some times you just gotta do it for the laughs.

Taunting from a screen away is scrub level taunting.

Which reminds me, I need to work on my FA > YEEEEAAAAAHH with Guile.

Axis

The Take Out Bandit said:
Also need to stop using specials just because I have them. I have six other good moves and the alts.

so many command normals, as well. df.fp is good.

Kimosabae

Banned
Threi said:

Too easy.

That seemed more placative than anything. Smash-base is good people and extremely hospitable. Only thing wrong with those kids if anything is the level of nerd is much higher.

Conceited said:
Need more of that attitude on PSN! :D

When I get a PS3 I'll bring it with, but honestly I got this game as a troll gift and won't give Capcom any of *my* money. :p

When the XBL sub runs out around October IIRC, I'll be looking for a PS3 and I can probably get a cheap used copy so Capcom doesn't get any of my money and I'll trade the 360 version off. :)

My superior taunting skils with T.Hawk butthurt a Chun I was playing today, so much so that their Internet beau got revenge on me with their character. HAW! HAW! HAW!

UNSTOPPABLE BIG PINK INDIAN!!!

I still like SSF4 more than Marvel games. I tried learning Tekken 6, that game has some cheap stuff. It's like Marvel cheap with 100x more commands, 10x more okizeme, and none of the flash. You literally have to eat and breathe that game to be any good. I feel like SSF4 has a good balance of gimmick and execution barriers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom