• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
black_vegeta said:
Got dat damn right. :mad:

Still don't want it to be the definitive SF game.

You mean you think SFxT is being groomed as SSF4AE replacement till SF5 comes out? If that's what you mean then I don't see that happening. SFxT is just too different to make SSF4AE obsolete. It has team play and is a little more over the top, compared to the more down to Earth(I know that sounds strange) style of SSF4AE. The two will co-exist just like 3rd Strike and CVS2. I don't see SFxT wiping out SSF4AE's player base, only SF5 will do that.

Satyamdas

Banned
black_vegeta said:
036yh.jpg
Trollno has no control over what game the fighting game community considers the 'definitive' SF. That shit is completely out of his hands.

Rice-Eater said:
You mean you think SFxT is being groomed as SSF4AE replacement till SF5 comes out? If that's what you mean then I don't see that happening. SFxT is just too different to make SSF4AE obsolete. It has team play and is a little more over the top, compared to the more down to Earth(I know that sounds strange) style of SSF4AE. The two will co-exist just like 3rd Strike and CVS2. I don't see SFxT wiping out SSF4AE's player base, only SF5 will do that.

Amen.

Satyamdas said:
Trollno has no control over what game the fighting game community considers the 'definitive' SF. That shit is completely out of his hands.

True.

Now, come on AE!!!

I'm somewhat interested in SFxT, but even then I think SSF4AE will remain my main game. That being said, I do think we'll see further decline in the SF4 player base. Those small 15 player local tournaments are probably going to turn into 8-10 player tournaments. But I'll still be around, this is really the only series that I truly cherish.

LowParry

Rice-Eater said:
I'm somewhat interested in SFxT, but even then I think SSF4AE will remain my main game. That being said, I do think we'll see further decline in the SF4 player base. Those small 15 player local tournaments are probably going to turn into 8-10 player tournaments. But I'll still be around, this is really the only series that I truly cherish.

SFxT isn't till next year so there's plenty of time all around for AE. By then, you may want to just try something new and fresh. And my Kazuya is ready to kill some Evil Ryu ;)

ALC

Neo Member
Thought I would pick your brains on how some of you are able to play multiple fighters at once ? After playing the SF4 series for the past 2 years I plunged myself into weeks of learning and playing Marvel exclusively. Just a few days ago I decided to go back to some online SSF4 sessions and it seemed like I had forgotten to play the game. I was timing crouch techs like I would advancing guard, mashing magic series style when going for links and it seemed like I had lost that 1-on-1 SF footsies mindset in general. I'd love to get into MK9 as well as I was a huge fan of the old 2D games but I handling the different mindsets and nuances of different fighting engines.

http://www.justin.tv/offcast/

valle vs richard nguyen in ssf4 coming up

ALC said:
Thought I would pick your brains on how some of you are able to play multiple fighters at once ? After playing the SF4 series for the past 2 years I plunged myself into weeks of learning and playing Marvel exclusively. Just a few days ago I decided to go back to some online SSF4 sessions and it seemed like I had forgotten to play the game. I was timing crouch techs like I would advancing guard, mashing magic series style when going for links and it seemed like I had lost that 1-on-1 SF footsies mindset in general. I'd love to get into MK9 as well as I was a huge fan of the old 2D games but I handling the different mindsets and nuances of different fighting engines.

treat your gaming time like you're at an arcade. 1 hour of ssf4, 1 hour of mvc3, 1 hour of mk, etc.

ALC said:
It's memory for me, which is odd since I have a very poor short-term memory. I was able to juggle MvC2, SF4 and Brawl seamlessly back when I was heavily into all three.

Practice practice practice.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
ALC said:

You probably shouldn't be cross-posting.

In any case, just start playing multiple games and you'll get used to it naturally. It's not that complicated.

Neki

Professor Beef said:
It's memory for me, which is odd since I have a very poor short-term memory. I was able to juggle MvC2, SF4 and Brawl seamlessly back when I was heavily into all three.

Practice practice practice.

To be fair Brawl is more about footsies and technique rather than muscle memory of combos/tech.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So I'm kinda looking for an alt to me balrog, I played poor makoto for a good while during the beginning of super but a million erronous fuikages // hayates made me vow not to touch her again.

Surprise!

So namedrop some bithcin makotos, v-ryu, flash metroid? More? Any particular tutorial thats great?

I'd say I'm a 5/6 out of 10 makoto so I kinda know the basics.

Corky said:
So I'm kinda looking for an alt to me balrog, I played poor makoto for a good while during the beginning of super but a million erronous fuikages // hayates made me vow not to touch her again.

Surprise!

So namedrop some bithcin makotos, v-ryu, flash metroid? More? Any particular tutorial thats great?

I'd say I'm a 5/6 out of 10 makoto so I kinda know the basics.

Shiro in AE. Check out the Topanga 5v5 finals on ustream.

Siaynoqq

With PSN down, I've resorted to playing arcade. Ugh. The AI plays so.... stiff.

I cant believe none of my friends can get into this game.

the only way SFxT will be the definitive game is the netcode is gawtlike, which probably wont be.

I much prefer MvC3 over SSFIV but the shitty online made me give up the game and go back to SF

hitsugi

Threi said:
Define "unsafe as fuck" on block. Because in SSF4 I consider anything -5 and under to be not too bad.

unsafe as fuck simply being that if you carelessly throw it out - you can be punished pretty easily. I don't know the exact frame data, but I know that I've been punished for pretty much every blocked lunge punch ever after the first two weeks or so.

it's not like rekkas..

USD

hitsugi said:
unsafe as fuck simply being that if you carelessly throw it out - you can be punished pretty easily. I don't know the exact frame data, but I know that I've been punished for pretty much every blocked lunge punch ever after the first two weeks or so.

it's not like rekkas..
It's not like Rekkas are perfectly safe either (unless you're talking about AE EX Rekka). At best, Fei is at -4, and that's for the first LP Rekka. The second LP one is -6. You still have to respect the spacing when using it.

Satyamdas said:

I would almost be inclined to agree, were it not for the fact the fighting game community tilts at whatever big budget windmill is being sold to them this week.

There is a fighting game community whom I respect and trust their opinions, and that's the community that will be left standing when all the marketing, publicity, and the "fad" phase of the genre passes. The guys that were rocking 3S in '04 when most folks were whining that fighting games were dead, blah blah.

I'm shamefully interested in SFxTK just because it looks like a more grounded Versus game (CvSNK2) instead of the Marvel brand of retardation that is oh so popular in the West.

USD said:
It's not like Rekkas are perfectly safe either (unless you're talking about AE EX Rekka). At best, Fei is at -4, and that's for the first LP Rekka. The second LP one is -6. You still have to respect the spacing when using it.
I can reversal DP Rekka on block? Holy shit, with DP, it's clear to me.

V_Arnold

The Take Out Bandit said:
I would almost be inclined to agree, were it not for the fact the fighting game community tilts at whatever big budget windmill is being sold to them this week.

There is a fighting game community whom I respect and trust their opinions, and that's the community that will be left standing when all the marketing, publicity, and the "fad" phase of the genre passes. The guys that were rocking 3S in '04 when most folks were whining that fighting games were dead, blah blah.

I'm shamefully interested in SFxTK just because it looks like a more grounded Versus game (CvSNK2) instead of the Marvel brand of retardation that is oh so popular in the West.

I really want to change so I wont pick on you for saying "well, I trust the opinions of the guys whom I share the same opinion with, others are worthless", but anyways :D I am 100 times more interested in SFxTekken then I am with MVC3.

And I would love MVC3 100 times more than I do now if it would have contained Havok, Black Bolt, Sentry, Polaris, Psylocke (Elizabeth, not the asian kung-fu chick, mind ya), Iron Fist, Nova, Medusa, etc.... but they played it safe, sadly :(

USD

_dementia said:
I can reversal DP Rekka on block? Holy shit, with DP, it's clear to me.
Not if it's spaced properly. But if any Fei does a point-blank Rekka, you're guaranteed a free reversal (Shoto) DP.

jlai

Siaynoqq said:
With PSN down, I've resorted to playing arcade. Ugh. The AI plays so.... stiff.

I cant believe none of my friends can get into this game.

I play against the AI when I'm messing around on SF4 PC from time to time. God, their psychic ultras are ridiculous =/

jlai

Is it just me or is the gaf ranbats irc channel not working?

WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO AT WORK

edit: never mind, crisis averted

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
This is a blessing and a curse. It's great when you like the new game and there's a big community rallied around it; it sucks when you would like to play Hyper Fighting or Classic Mode in HDR on Live and there's never anybody there. :( (Man, I need to finally check out GGPO so I can play Super Turbo.)

I'm cautiously optimistic about it. The - so far - lack of a comeback mechanic is particularly appealing to me. It would be a nice change of pace to have an HD Capcom fighter without one. Also, the absence of focus attacks is great. SFxT could be one of the most fundamentals-centric fighters in awhile . . . maybe?

Satyamdas

Banned

People get hype on every new release, but this was about SFxT becoming the 'definitive' SF game. That is not going to happen unless "the guys that were rocking 3S in '04" AND the guys who fell away after SF2 and came back for SF4 AND the newcomers who tried SF4 and have stuck with it all agree that SFxT is somehow more SF than SF.

It's not impossible, but I find it highly improbable. For all that it gets wrong and despite all the issues it has, SF4 is quintessential SF. I think the tag mechanic and having Tekken characters and Tekken style juggles will keep SFxT from having any chance at 'defining' SF.

I'm pretty underwhelmed by what I've seen so far, although I realize it is still way early in development. The HUD is disgusting, the animations look stiff and clunky, and the fighting engine just doesn't appeal to me. I do like the fact there is no comeback mechanic, though. And the backgrounds are pretty sweet so far (except for Capcom reusing that picture taking guy for like the 4th time since vanilla SF4).

hitsugi

LakeEarth said:
It works a lot online cause people think you can't jump out of it.
However, it is not a good idea to derive strategies from online play experiences unless that's your main competitive source.

El Sloth

Banned
elohel said:
is there a good crash course guide online for ssf4?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by a crash course guide, but when I was starting out I found the iPlaywinner guides useful:

Gameplay Guide - Character Guides

And Vesper Arcade's tutorial videos.

And although I've never looked through it myself I assume that SRK's own SSIV guide has to be pretty good too.

stabicron7 said:
Or pick Balrog and mash jab like your life depends on it. Not much else you need to know :p
9lDPV.gif

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Reading up on things is part of learning. But no matter how many guides you read or how many videos you watch, nothing is better than playing with people. Especially people who are at a higher level than you are. Losing is part of getting better.

hitsugi

Kadey said:
Reading up on things is part of learning. But no matter how many guides you read or how many videos you watch, nothing is better than playing with people. Especially people who are at a higher level than you are. Losing is part of getting better.
Sound advice. Always look for someone better than you are and chances are, you'll absorb a ton of knowledge from the losses you receive as long as you're open to learning from them.

Some people have an issue where they play close-minded and just can't learn from their losses... it's crucial to learn on the fly and take whatever you can on to the next person.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
hitsugi said:
Sound advice. Always look for someone better than you are and chances are, you'll absorb a ton of knowledge from the losses you receive as long as you're open to learning from them.

Some people have an issue where they play close-minded and just can't learn from their losses... it's crucial to learn on the fly and take whatever you can on to the next person.

When I first started playing fighters way back during the SNES days. I didn't know how to block, jump properly, do any special moves, etc. It took me well over a year to even get the basics down. Must've lost hundreds of matches before things started clicking.

Saty vs Greg. First to five first Live grudge match when I get back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom