• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
prodystopian said:
What makes Fei so good in AE? I know he is good in Super, so did he get buffs, did his bad matchups get nerfs, both?

1. Mago.
2. Exposure (Inthul, Evans, Starnab, Mago, etc)
3. Other character had worse nerfs and improved footsies.
4. Not enough people gave him a chance in Vanilla and initial Super.

Normals
- Close and Far stand jab are have an extra frame of advantage (now +6)
- Close forward has a 4-frame startup
- Additional frame advantage on many moves

Specials
- Less recovery on EX Rekka on hit and on guard
- No invincibility with HK Chicken Wing

Like even now, tiers suck because everyone has no real idea about Juri, T.Hawk, etc.

USD

I want to know what Gootecks was doing to his stick here.

playingwithhisstickirlv.gif

"And for god's sake put some panks back on, Steve."

putonpantssteveqt8p.gif

USD

_dementia said:
I think his cr.MK is special and super cancelable now, and he's got the most damaging DP in the game.
Nah, cr.MK is still the same as it was in Super, and Fei has had the best overall DP damage since Super (120/140/160/200 for LK/MK/HK/EX, plus the additional damage opportunity with MK Flame Kick FADC Chicken Wing). Also the "additional frame advantage on many moves" is wrong, that was a mistranslation on my part (that fixed a long time ago).

Overall, he's pretty much the same. He's certainly not the easiest character to play, and it's not like he completely dominates the entire cast.

USD said:
Nah, cr.MK is still the same as it was in Super, and Fei has had the best overall DP damage since Super (120/140/160/200 for LK/MK/HK/EX, plus the additional damage opportunity with MK Flame Kick FADC Chicken Wing). Also the "additional frame advantage on many moves" is wrong, that was a mistranslation on my part (that fixed a long time ago).

Overall, he's pretty much the same. He's certainly not the easiest character to play, and it's not like he completely dominates the entire cast.
That's what I get for listening to S-Kill -_-

USD

_dementia said:
That's what I get for listening to S-Kill -_-
Seth was talking about special-cancellable cr.MK being a possible change (along with a faster Tenshin and least recovery on UC2), but it never happened. Fei would be absolutely broken with a cr.MK like that.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hmm I'm contemplating picking up yang. Is he an execution heavy character a la viper/ibuki? I'm afraid my skills on pad only stretches that far, but from the little little I've seen he has some links and stuff like that but nothing crazy or am I wrong?

USD said:
Seth was talking about special-cancellable cr.MK being a possible change (along with a faster Tenshin and least recovery on UC2), but it never happened. Fei would be absolutely broken with a cr.MK like that.
I see. Thanks.
Corky said:
Hmm I'm contemplating picking up yang. Is he an execution heavy character a la viper/ibuki? I'm afraid my skills on pad only stretches that far, but from the little little I've seen he has some links and stuff like that but nothing crazy or am I wrong?
I think Yun would be better on a pad. Less dependent on FADC than Yang.

USD

Punching in some numbers, cr.MP, cr.MK xx HK Rekka would do 271 damage. Good damage and half-screen corner push? Way too good.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
_dementia said:
I see. Thanks.

I think Yun would be better on a pad. Less dependent on FADC than Yang.

I've got no problems with FADCing or links in general, my problem lies within rapid movement requirements of the direction-analog, doing stuff like long combos is pretty easy for me but say SJC moves and such is impossible.

If you had to compare yang to a current member or the cast who would it be? Input-leniency wise

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Shoutouts to Heat waves.

Endless tonight. I wasn't around to do one yesterday.

One week until AE and we're going to play the hell out of it.

USD said:
From Air's blog, translated Arcadia Magazine interview with Banbaban (Yun), RF (Sagat), Kyabetsu (C.Viper), Itabashi Zangief, and Fuudo (Fei Long)

With the same characters being mentioned (Fei, Yang, Yun, C.Viper, Sagat, Makoto, Zangief), I really wish that Capcom would make Super Street Fighter IV Turbo, with full selection between the Super and AE versions of each character.
Wow. Pickatoptier.jpg, but I suppose that's always been common with SBO/winning culture. Doesn't make sense to handicap yourself.

Man, that interview seems like the main reason to choose characters is gold digging and fear of others doing the same.

And USD, Maybe if Ono wants to stretch out the Street Fighter gravy train some more, he could release Hyper Street Fighter IV and have the player select from the three different versions of a character.

It would be crazy to have OG Sagat, Lamb Chop Gen, OG Ryu, Super Boxer, Super Dictator, Super Cammy, etc.

noneofexion said:
Arcadia May 2011 AE Ranking

S - Yun, Yang, Fei Long

A - Zangief, C. Viper, Sagat, Akuma, Cammy, Makoto
B - Ken, Chun-Li, Balrog (Boxer), M. Bison (Dictator), Adon, Sakura
C - Abel, Dee Jay, Ibuki, E. Honda, Seth, Cody, Guy, Vega (Claw), Rufus, Ryu, Blanka, Dudley, Dhalsim, Juri, El Fuerte, Guile, Gen, Gouken, Rose, Oni, Evil Ryu

D - Hakan, T. Hawk, Dan

Remember friends, tiers are subjective, no matter what the source. They can, however, if used carefully, make for interesting discussion, even if they aren't de facto.

Keep it classy!

from
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/may/31/super-street-fighter-4-arcade-edition-tiers-arcadia/

My opinion:
Ken, Dictator, Adon, and Abel should be higher(A-tier)
Ibuki, Rufus, Ryu, Juri, Sim, and Guile should be higher(B-Tier)
T.hawk should be C-tier

Ok so my xbox broke in December and I haven't played Super since then, but I'll be picking up AE for my PS3. Oni is that much fun. He's the only character in SF4 that really appeals to me enough that I wouldn't switch all the time like I usually do in capcom fighting games(other than jojo).

God's Beard said:
Ok so my xbox broke in December and I haven't played Super since then, but I'll be picking up AE for my PS3. Oni is that much fun. He's the only character in SF4 that really appeals to me enough that I wouldn't switch all the time like I usually do in capcom fighting games(other than jojo).
Nice, I hope to get some laggy matches in if you don't mind playing against a shitty Yun.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Kimosabae said:
Thanks, man. Your Mak is solid, for sure.

How do you feel about that matchup? I think it's a horrible, horrible matchup for Mak, honestly. Like, 7-3 or 8-2. She just doesn't seem to have any tools to make Viper respect her. No reliable AA, pressure that gets easily stuffed by DPs, no reliable reversal, no zoning tool, weak footsies etc. - all those weaknesses just seem to play to Viper so well. I just feel like I can do whatever I want against her.

8-2? You're crazy. 5.5 for Viper at best since she doesn't handle Mak's pressure that well either, but she still more options than Mak has and she has an easier time starting her own pressure. But it's probably gonna be a winning match for Mak in AE.

Imm0rt4l

Man, the amount of hubris on the srk forums is ridiculous sometimes. This dude wants to post up a video of himself playing BULLCAT in a mirror match set where he won, basically calling the guy free. And he wants to get pissy cuz not everybody wants to praise him for winning a pretty random and iunimpressive fashion, filled with lag, and he has the audacity to post it up. smh.

black_vegeta said:
Don't let this man fool you.
Average Gouken, haha.

>_>

yao-ming-meme.jpg

Imm0rt4l

Professor Beef said:
That Gouken is an anomaly. I wanted more of it, even though I was sure I would get bodied.
I feel like that match is in goukens favor, but I was proven that it's not nearly as bad as I originally thought by this guy belgium_killa, his Zangief bodies me free x_x. He's the reason as well as my 2nd loss at evo from a gief player that I attribute my backdashing into all those condor dives you threw to get over me haha. I'm scared to death of giefs cross ups since he can essentially os me to death.

Imm0rt4l said:
I feel like that match is in goukens favor, but I was proven that it's not nearly as bad as I originally thought by this guy belgium_killa, his Zangief bodies me free x_x. He's the reason as well as my 2nd loss at evo from a gief player that I attribute my backdashing into all those condor dives you threw to get over me haha. I'm scared to death of giefs cross ups since he can essentially os me to death.
I'm not even sure why, but I started to get mad that I was hitting you with those Condor Dives, lol. I kept trying to use them to get out of the corner, and whenever you would backdash into them I would think to myself "well I'm glad I got the hit, but I'm still kinda in the corner."

Thanks to you though I got a shitload of Dudley experience. Damn that fierce punch to hell. >_>

Oni's kind of amazing. He has Dudley's fierces, a shoto sweep, invincible uppercut, honda's buttstomp and an array of fireballs. Plus 4 ultras and 2 supers. Who needs escape tatsu when you've got an airdash?

God's Beard said:
Oni's kind of amazing. He has Dudley's fierces, a shoto sweep, invincible uppercut, honda's buttstomp and an array of fireballs. Plus 4 ultras and 2 supers. Who needs escape tatsu when you've got an airdash?

He seems like a weird character like Gouken. Does having an uppercut and fireball make him play similar to the uppercut brothers?

Or is Evil Ryu fill that slot.

Spiderjericho said:
He seems like a weird character like Gouken. Does having an uppercut and fireball make him play similar to the uppercut brothers?

Or is Evil Ryu fill that slot.

Evil Ryu is closer to a normal shoto, Oni is more like a Sakura in that he has similar tools, but they kind of work in different ways. His normal fireball doesn't go full screen and his uppercut can only be canceled on the second hit, for instance. When AE hits, I'm going to experiment with buttstomp as a reversal instead of uppercut. I also didn't check to see if forward fierce can be canceled, but I doubt it.

Imm0rt4l said:
I hear oni's uppercut isn't really as good as a typical shoryuken, maybe I'm wrong though.

It has a ton of invincibility, but can't be canceled on block.

Kimosabae

Banned
Lost Fragment said:
8-2? You're crazy.

Maybe. But when I consider all aspects of the matchup on paper, I see nothing Makato can do to limit Viper's strengths. And Viper handles Mak's pressure better than most, I'd say - she has an invincible DP (shit invincibility, but still).

*shrug*

I dunno, only Makato I've ever played that scared me is Flash's and I played Ken back then. Ever since I picked up Viper, Mak, for the most part, has felt like a free character to me. I know not a lot of peeps play her, but I just run through Mak's in ranked.

Axis

Kimosabae said:
Maybe. But when I consider all aspects of the matchup on paper, I see nothing Makato can do to limit Viper's strengths. And Viper handles Mak's pressure better than most, I'd say - she has an invincible DP (shit invincibility, but still).

*shrug*

I dunno, only Makato I've ever played that scared me is Flash's and I played Ken back then. Ever since I picked up Viper, Mak, for the most part, has felt like a free character to me. I know not a lot of peeps play her, but I just run through Mak's in ranked.

mak c.mk is pretty good at lowering her hitbox and hitting divekicks

also play jlai

Masamuna

Mak/Vip is 5-5. It's one of the few matchups where Mak's OS's really shine IIRC. Still with both characters being very momentum/mixup based its usually down to who gets hit first.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Hey Vex. If you want in on SCO, I can give a word in. Peaceful Jay invited me but there's no chance I'm going to beat any of those guys. LOL.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Kimosabae said:

*shrug*

The risk/reward for throwing out naked fierce knuckle is pretty bad for Viper in this match. It's pretty bad in most matches for Viper, but Makoto more than a lot because Viper has low health/stun and Makoto does higher than average damage/stun. If Viper throws it out and it hits, she gets a little bit of damage and an opportunity to regain momentum. Not a great opportunity because it doesn't leave her in the greatest position to follow up, but an opportunity. If she throws it out and Makoto blocks it, Makoto can punish with a combo into an untechable knockdown, and if you guess wrong again on your wakeup you get stunned and the round is more or less over.

You would've done better against me last night if you had used fierce knuckle less. Sometimes you kinda have to throw those things out there, but going to that well against Makoto too often isn't really a good idea. If I get hit by fierce knuckle on wakeup, it's annoying more than anything, but if I block it, there's a decent chance I'll win the round because of it.

Kimosabae

Banned
Haha I'd do better against anyone in this game if I Fierce TK'd less. Defense in this game is frustrating because of 3 frame throws. I know that's not as much an issue vs Makato, but still.

-Mikey-

Only running endless on Live these days Kadey?

Hoping to play with some gaffers this time next week.

Edit: Is there anyone uploading Japanese AE play like LordAborigineSF4 did with vanilla?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yeah. Lost and a few others are in lobby right now.

I'll stream PSN if they need me to. LIVE seems more active these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom