• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to having slightly better frames on some of my more used Ibuki normals, not looking forward to lower damage and stun on her neckbreaker. Definitely looking forward to using Oni some more (I've only used him a bit at ArcadeUFO a couple of months ago).

My body (and my money) is ready!

cackhyena

Think I'm done with Super. Dirt 3 just came so I'll pour time into that before AE. Kadey, you sticking with XBL for the foreseeable future? Or switching back over to PSN when AE rolls out?

Kimosabae

Banned
I'm really hoping Yun/Yang is largely a result of AE having a limited player base at this point. Maybe once everyone has the game in their homes, we can break them down more and they won't be as scary.

V_Arnold

Kimosabae said:
I'm really hoping Yun/Yang is largely a result of AE having a limited player base at this point. Maybe once everyone has the game in their homes, we can break them down more and they won't be as scary.

I cant imagine them being scarier than vanilla Sagat, imho. Difference is Sagat required you to play with a slower style, while your movements are not limited in Yun/Yang, so that might mean more people are gonna be fine using them, whereas Sagat needed a HEAVY investment to feel it.

On a related note, I played a little SFIV. Vanilla. Damn, Ryu's shoryuken is a friggin god. It beats everything Vanilla Cammy has from jumping. Everything. Instantly. Horrible :D

cackhyena said:
Think I'm done with Super. Dirt 3 just came so I'll pour time into that before AE. Kadey, you sticking with XBL for the foreseeable future? Or switching back over to PSN when AE rolls out?

Samehere. I'll wait for AE to get back in it. The break will do me some good. I've been getting way too salty over losing lately. :mad:

I'm going give my backlog a chance for once and give them titles some well deserved playtime.

black_vegeta said:
Samehere. I'll wait for AE to get back in it. The break will do me some good. I've been getting way too salty over losing lately. :mad:

I'm going give my backlog a chance for once and give them titles some well deserved playtime.

I'll play until the very end. My goal is to get rid of stuff that won't work in AE. For example because of Rog's Headbutt nerf, it is now pretty much impossible to escape with it in any situation. Also jumping after a headbutt to crossup your opponent is useless now, so I'll have to stop doing that too.

Basically I need to get rid of headbutts. I'll only use it now if I want to juggle with ultra. I'll finish combos with dash punches, ex-upper or a sweep.

Rocky_Balboa said:
I'll play until the very end. My goal is to get rid of stuff that won't work in AE. For example because of Rog's Headbutt nerf, it is now pretty much impossible to escape with it in any situation. Also jumping after a headbutt to crossup your opponent is useless now, so I'll have to stop doing that too.

Basically I need to get rid of headbutts. I'll only use it now if I want to juggle with ultra. I'll finish combos with dash punches, ex-upper or a sweep

Why?

His headbutt is still effective when used in a combo. The damage was scaled down a tad but you still get the knockdown. Which allows you to pressure your opponents on wakeup with jabs, bait srk on wakeup, focus attack, etc.

The sweep at the end is not a guaranteed knockdown unless you can link it almost a 100%

black_vegeta said:
Why?

His headbutt is still effective when used in a combo. The damage was scaled down a tad but you still get the knockdown. Which allows you to pressure your opponents on wakeup with jabs, bait srk on wakeup, focus attack, etc.

The sweep at the end is not a guaranteed knockdown unless you can link it almost a 100%

You're right about that.

I don't know how much I'll change my playstyle. Basically now I usually end all of my combos with a headbutt, unless there is a chance for ex-upper. In AE Heabutt still does about same amount of dmg as dash punch so in dmg-wise it doesn't matter that much.

I'll try to use more sweep and close.MP to make it more interesting. It is more about personal preference than anything else.

E: By "Getting rid of headbutts" I mainly meant outside of combos. But I also want to change it up inside of combos too.

Rocky_Balboa said:
You're right about that.

I don't know how much I'll change my playstyle. Basically now I usually end all of my combos with a headbutt, unless there is a chance for ex-upper. In AE Heabutt still does about same amount of dmg as dash punch so in dmg-wise it doesn't matter that much.

I'll try to use more sweep and close.MP to make it more interesting. It is more about personal preference than anything else.

E: By "Getting rid of headbutts" I mainly meant outside of combos. But I also want to change it up inside of combos too

The close s.mp is going to be interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing how I can implement that in my style.

Yeah, definitely trying to headbutt out of a sticky situation is a no-no in AE. In super I try to FADC out of cross up, which works sometimes. Although the most effective defense is to just block.

Satyamdas said:
All you guys saying that you can't get on to GGPO, you do know that they were being DDoS attacked a while back and went offline, right? They came back online a few weeks ago, and you have to download the new client for it to work.

Just download the new client and install it, then move your roms folder over into the new GGPO folder and you are good to go. Download here.

When you get it up and running, come and get wrecked in ST. My Gief, Sim, and Choon are gdlk. ^_^

Thanks. I tried the new one. When I extracted it, it simply enabled executables versus installing the software on my computer, which is fine.

It works.

However, the other software that was mentioned has support for just about everything under the sun. So you can go back and play 2I, NG, SNK fighters, etc.

black_vegeta said:
The close s.mp is going to be interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing how I can implement that in my style.

Yeah, definitely trying to headbutt out of a sticky situation is a no-no in AE. In super I try to FADC out of cross up, which works sometimes. Although the most effective defense is to just block.

One thing I want to try is c.LP ~ cs.MP xx headbutt. Compared to c.MP it is 2 frame link instead of 1 frame so it would be easier to do. On the other hand it is still needs precise timing to get the cs.MP to come out for the headbutt. If this is even possible. I've done many times with s.LP in SSF4.

Also is it possible to do a cs.MP after an overhead or does it push you too far?

Rocky_Balboa said:
One thing I want to try is c.LP ~ cs.MP xx headbutt. Compared to c.MP it is 2 frame link instead of 1 frame so it would be easier to do. On the other hand it is still needs precise timing to get the cs.MP to come out for the headbutt. If this is even possible. I've done many times with s.LP in SSF4.

Also is it possible to do a cs.MP after an overhead or does it push you too far?

I know the cs. MP>overhead works perfectly. I've seen -R- (ice0age) do it not to recently. :)

As far as the cs. MP>HB, I have no idea. Definitely something to try out.

Makoto

So, I'm in the market for a monitor to be used for my PS3, specifically for when I'm playing fighting games. My question is, is the VH236H still a viable monitor or are there monitors that are much better?

Rocwell said:
Platinum trophy get! Thanks a lot Edgeward!
http://i52.tinypic.com/1177iw0.jpg[IMG]

I got C to Shining C a few months ago but just got around to doing that awful team battle lobby trophy today.
[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/mj46qu.jpg[IMG]

Thank god there's only 8 new trophies in AE.[/QUOTE]

Grats, Roc. I'll be looking forward to ducking all matches against your AE Mak & Fei -_-

black_vegeta said:
I know the cs. MP>overhead works perfectly. I've seen -R- (ice0age) do it not to recently. :)

As far as the cs. MP>HB, I have no idea. Definitely something to try out.
Good, I'll probably use that against match ups where you would normally have to use c.MP.
EX-DSB ~ cs.MP xx EX-rush ~ c.LP ~ c.LP XX Headbutt.

I was checking out my replay archives and found some funny stuff.

Can't tech online

Coolest failed Ultra punish

I am the master of Yoga Foca

-Mikey-

vidal said:
So, I'm in the market for a monitor to be used for my PS3, specifically for when I'm playing fighting games. My question is, is the VH236H still a viable monitor or are there monitors that are much better?

For the price it is an amazing monitor. My friend has 2 of them for a dual setup and its very sick.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
~Devil Trigger~ said:
goddanm Gen's cross up is so fucked up

Whenever he knocks me down and whiffs a normal to time something, I just assume that it's gonna hit in the opposite direction it looks like it's gonna hit.

Rocwell

the_log_ride said:
Grats, Roc. I'll be looking forward to ducking all matches against your AE Mak & Fei -_-
Thanks :D It'll be fun to learn all of Makoto's new toys and setups and stuff. I'm gonna try out Yun a bit too and see if he does better in some of the matchups I have a hard time with.

Are you planning on picking up any new characters for AE?

black_vegeta said:
I meant DSB ~ cs.MP. Doesn't seem to work. Too much pushback. You can FADC and hit with cs.MP, but it is useless without charge.

I played AE for the first time yesterday. After watching Yun's video, it seem natural I was able to do his BnB on the first go. Gen's target combo I have get used to doing. I remember hearing about Guile's U2 nerf to the point where he couldn't Flash Kick > FADC > U2, surprise to say, I could still do it. But god dam almost not worth it, maybe only to apply extra damage to a combo.

I will await AE release next week.

Rocwell said:
Thanks :D It'll be fun to learn all of Makoto's new toys and setups and stuff. I'm gonna try out Yun a bit too and see if he does better in some of the matchups I have a hard time with.

Are you planning on picking up any new characters for AE?

I feel so scrubby to say that I'll be giving Yun a try. I was also trying Fei out, but I'm having a hard time with his hit confirm into rekkas.

Next Tuesday cant' come soon enough. Kinda hard to believe that it's been almost 3 years since Vanilla was released. Time flies.

LowParry

I'm just sticking with 4 characters this time around. Evil Ryu, Ibuki, Vega and Yang. Catching up on some backlog games, then going full on with AE :)

Axis

XenoRaven said:
You guys that play on GGPO...do you guys play with a stick? Do you have to mod a TE to get it to work? I have a 360 and PS3 stick.

I use a stick...any 360 SE/TE is plug&play so it will work.

XenoRaven said:
You guys that play on GGPO...do you guys play with a stick? Do you have to mod a TE to get it to work? I have a 360 and PS3 stick.

You can use both. You can even use a dual mod stick.

If I was using a desk top, I'd use a TE or whatever (I only have three sticks now after letting them go on this site).

On my laptop, I use the fightpad or Saturn USB (the fightpad plays nicer with the PC).

And does Superarcade allow stand alone play like GGPO or other MAME emulators?

I have to say, I like the amount of titles supported in it.

Also, how is the network performance?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Morro! said:
Why don't you guys use 2dfighter while GGPO is down? It's sort of a pain in the ass to install it, but it's not much different from GGPO in my experience...

Fake edit: Oh, it changed its name to ''SuperArcade'' http://damdai.com/Supercade/Default.aspx ... Not sure what else might have changed tho, gonna have to test it later. Too lazy to dualboot right now...

Because no one uses Supercade. there's only like 100 players if that on whenever I check. :/

That and all of them are extremely good when all I want to do is play casual fighting. >_>

And does Superarcade allow stand alone play like GGPO or other MAME emulators?

If you login and choose "play alone" through the image option, yeah. It's basically GGPO with a new coat of paint and a different netcode system, IIRC. The emulator is still the same.

I wish I could set the emulator to bind L1/L2 on my DS3 to PPP/KKK macros. I can use the macro on the keyboard, but I can't unbind it from F/V to something on my pad. :|

Just download the new client and install it, then move your roms folder over into the new GGPO folder and you are good to go. Download here.

Read what I posted. I have build 30/your download link and it still won't let me login to GGPO. And I'm not the only one having issues with it.

AZ Greg said:
It's all about ST and Puzzle Fighter on GGPO!

And Garou/KOF2002

Don't listen to Vex!
I always get confused when people mention Puzzle Fighter because I never know if they're talking about the puzzle game or the fighting game. Either way, I wouldn't mind losing to you in them.

And I use my DS3 for GGPO. MotioninJoy is a requirement, but it's still a godsend.

Satyamdas

Banned
TheSeks said:
Read what I posted. I have build 30/your download link and it still won't let me login to GGPO. And I'm not the only one having issues with it.
Did you download it from the link I provided or are you assuming it's the same because of the build number? Because the new client is the same build number as the old one. Have you ever had GGPO up and running on your current computer?

And yeah, there are always issues with GGPO, unfortunately. Since it came back I am having a ton more disconnects than ever before. :*(

Professor Beef said:
I always get confused when people mention Puzzle Fighter because I never know if they're talking about the puzzle game or the fighting game. Either way, I wouldn't mind losing to you in them.

And I use my DS3 for GGPO. MotioninJoy is a requirement, but it's still a godsend.
Puzzle Fighter = The puzzle game.
Gem Fighter = The fighting game.

Greg is an idiot savant at Puzzle Fighter, but loses to the gdlk Mexicans in the PF lobby. So be careful in challenging him at that game. And in ST he abuses Vega's BS like a champ or plays lame ass O.Sagat, so be careful there too.

In summary, Greg is made of derp. <3 ^_^

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Imm0rt4l said:
what the hell is Dudley supposed to do against Bison?

Have his inputs scrambled like against any opponent.

I hate playing as dudley, *does 2x qcf slow as a glacier so I don't mess up -> ex uppercut still mess up*

TheSeks

Satyamdas said:
Did you download it from the link I provided or are you assuming it's the same because of the build number? Because the new client is the same build number as the old one. Have you ever had GGPO up and running on your current computer?

Unless there's been an update within the last week since I've downloaded it, YES that's the build and download link I used.

Satyamdas

Banned
TheSeks said:
Unless there's been an update within the last week since I've downloaded it, YES that's the build and download link I used.
Ok. Did you have the old GGPO working on your computer, or was this your first time downloading it?

TheSeks

It was my first time downloading it. It's the damndest thing, I can't get GGPO to work at all after going through hoops to port forward, but Supercade works without a hitch. I dunno WTF is going on with GGPO not letting me login. :/

Axis

TheSeks said:
It was my first time downloading it. It's the damndest thing, I can't get GGPO to work at all after going through hoops to port forward, but Supercade works without a hitch. I dunno WTF is going on with GGPO not letting me login. :/

is it literally just not letting you click the login button? i have that issue sometimes

TheSeks

Axis said:
is it literally just not letting you click the login button? i have that issue sometimes

I click login, it won't login. I even took my information out and reentered it. It still won't let me login. I've clicked the button, pressed enter. Anything. And it won't log me in. :|

TheSeks said:
I click login, it won't login. I even took my information out and reentered it. It still won't let me login. I've clicked the button, pressed enter. Anything. And it won't log me in. :|
You sure the password/username are correct? I had this exact same problem, but never got an error screen when clicking login until I found my correct info.

Rocwell

the_log_ride said:
I feel so scrubby to say that I'll be giving Yun a try. I was also trying Fei out, but I'm having a hard time with his hit confirm into rekkas.
Yeah Fei has a couple of hit confirms or varying difficulty.

cr. lk xx s. lp, cr. lp xx rekkas is probably his easiest but it whiffs on some crouching characters. This one is also nice for practicing how to combo after chicken wing, since you can plink the cr. lk it makes this about a 3 frame link.
cl. mp, cr. lp xx rekkas is also a pretty easy link and easy to hit confirm but you have to be close for it.
cr. mp, cr. lp xx rekkas is a decent quick punish
cr. lk xx cr. lk xx cr. lk, cr. lp xx rekkas is a one frame link, the rekkas won't come out if you chain the jab
cr. lk xx cl. lk, cr. lp xx rekkas is also a one framer but it kind of works as a frame trap

If you're not confident in hitting your links you can use jab for the first rekka, confirm you hit and then do the rest. the jab rekka is only -4 on block and can be safe depending on your spacing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom