• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axis

B1gg_Randall said:
Xbox GAF is it ok for my brother to join you guys in the irc chat? His account hasnt been a approved yet but I wanted to know if its cool..

he wouldn't be the only person in there without an approved gaf account :p

but yes

Holy crap at the Yun.

It's like Dhalsim can do nothing.

Man, I hope everyone levels up prior to Evo by playing the Live/PSN Attack of the Yun Clones because that character is ridiculous.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Completely off-topic, but I figured I'd ask in here as it's semi-relevant: Why is all the guides for Cody that I've seen around based on "V-ism" for Street Alpha 3? Looking at the Strategy Wiki movelist for Cody, A-ism/Alpha mode seems like the best analog to learning/playing as SSF4 Cody. Is X-ism/Alpha 2 and A-ism/Alpha 3 Cody that bad that playing as an X-ism/Street 2 Turbo Cody the best? D:

Oh how I wish GGPO would work but alas, I'd have to deal with Supercade's community. :/

Also at galvan, I completely love your avatar. I wish revolving avatars was still possible because I'd suggest making a King of Clooney rotating avatar set.

Axis

TheSeks said:
Completely off-topic, but I figured I'd ask in here as it's semi-relevant: Why is all the guides for Cody that I've seen around based on "V-ism" for Street Alpha 3? Looking at the Strategy Wiki movelist for Cody, A-ism/Alpha mode seems like the best analog to learning/playing as SSF4 Cody. Is X-ism/Alpha 2 and A-ism/Alpha 3 Cody that bad that playing as an X-ism/Street 2 Turbo Cody the best? D:

Oh how I wish GGPO would work but alas, I'd have to deal with Supercade's community. :/

Also at galvan, I completely love your avatar. I wish revolving avatars was still possible because I'd suggest making a King of Clooney rotating avatar set.

why won't GGPO work? you can PM me if you need to and i can try to help you set it up. but honestly...just go watch some tostitosalsa vids...joekage is fucking amazing dude.

TheSeks

Axis said:
why won't GGPO work?

I've port forwarded and it won't go past the login screen. I have GGPO-build-30 + it showing 29.1 on the login screen. Win 7 64-bit home premium. But looking at GGPO's forums, I'm not the only one having issues logging in.

However, Supercade works fine, login and be told to port forward, forward it and check the ports. Able to play games just fine. *shrug*

I dunno what the issue is with GGPO, but I know it's more popular than Supercade so I kinda wish I could get it to work.

In any case, I'm more curious why people prefer V-ism/SSF2T Cody over Alpha/SSF4-ish Cody in Alpha 3.

TheSeks said:

X-ISM is akin to Super Turbo, hence only one bar, no air blocking, etc.

A-ISM is akin to the earlier Alpha games (and 3), hence the three levels of bar, alpha counters, air blocking, etc.

V-ISM is akin to Alpha 2 custom combos enhanced, alpha counters, yadda, yadda.

I never played Cody, but I'll assume the only viable one was V-ISM (plus his blocking was weird in V-ISM).

V-ISM was evil in certain cases, for certain characters (Gouki, Ryu, Sakura, Zangief, etc).

I hated Alpha 3, mainly because of the retarded juggles (and popping out of them), weird counter hits and footsies.

Mœbius

Spiderjericho said:
And USD, Maybe if Ono wants to stretch out the Street Fighter gravy train some more, he could release Hyper Street Fighter IV and have the player select from the three different versions of a character.

It would be crazy to have OG Sagat, Lamb Chop Gen, OG Ryu, Super Boxer, Super Dictator, Super Cammy, etc.
Don't forget OG Akuma with dat loop.

TheSeks

Spiderjericho said:
I hated Alpha 3, mainly because of the retarded juggles (and popping out of them), weird counter hits and footsies.

Ah, yeah, I got the games and ism's mixed up. Oh well.

Yeah, it seems like from the guides and videos they use his super to throw the person in the air and start to jump heavy kick them to KO slowly. Seems cheesy. :/

TheSeks said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjwPFQIavFw

He also can dodge mid attacks in v-ism just by blocking.

Edgeward

TheSeks said:
I've port forwarded and it won't go past the login screen. I have GGPO-build-30 + it showing 29.1 on the login screen. Win 7 64-bit home premium. But looking at GGPO's forums, I'm not the only one having issues logging in.

However, Supercade works fine, login and be told to port forward, forward it and check the ports. Able to play games just fine. *shrug*

I dunno what the issue is with GGPO, but I know it's more popular than Supercade so I kinda wish I could get it to work.

In any case, I'm more curious why people prefer V-ism/SSF2T Cody over Alpha/SSF4-ish Cody in Alpha 3.

I'm in the exact same boat as you with GGPO. Which is weird since I was able to play it months ago. I just want to play some Twinkle Star Sprites!

Morris

Disco Devil
Why don't you guys use 2dfighter while GGPO is down? It's sort of a pain in the ass to install it, but it's not much different from GGPO in my experience...

Fake edit: Oh, it changed its name to ''SuperArcade'' http://damdai.com/Supercade/Default.aspx ... Not sure what else might have changed tho, gonna have to test it later. Too lazy to dualboot right now...

Satyamdas

Banned
All you guys saying that you can't get on to GGPO, you do know that they were being DDoS attacked a while back and went offline, right? They came back online a few weeks ago, and you have to download the new client for it to work.

Just download the new client and install it, then move your roms folder over into the new GGPO folder and you are good to go. Download here.

When you get it up and running, come and get wrecked in ST. My Gief, Sim, and Choon are gdlk. ^_^

Edgeward

Hmm, don't know what happened as I did use that build before and got no results. But now, it does work and after I installed supercade and got that runnning too. Now I have two working clients when I had none before. Great stuff, guys. Thanks.

Rocwell

Platinum trophy get! Thanks a lot Edgeward!
1177iw0.jpg

I got C to Shining C a few months ago but just got around to doing that awful team battle lobby trophy today.
mj46qu.jpg

Thank god there's only 8 new trophies in AE.

Mœbius

biosnake20 said:

This will please Rice-eater; cool vids - that bnb E.Ryu does with the overhead axe kick seems to do about 40%+ damage (on Gen at least).

EDIT: Also just noticed that when the announcer says "Evil Ryu Wins!" - the person saying "Evil Ryu" is different than the one saying "Wins!"... at least it sounds like a different voice. Guess they couldn't back the Super voice actor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyYlunF6-1U&feature=feedlik#t=30m49s

pirateben said:
This will please Rice-eater; cool vids - that bnb E.Ryu does with the overhead axe kick seems to do about 40%+ damage (on Gen at least).

EDIT: Also just noticed that when the announcer says "Evil Ryu Wins!" - the person saying "Evil Ryu" is different than the one saying "Wins!"... at least it sounds like a different voice. Guess they couldn't back the Super voice actor.

I've seen it already and I am "somewhat pleased". I'm glad to see a Evil Ryu player that knows what he is doing. But it's also sort of a reality check that this character isn't that good and will probably not see much(if any) action in the top 8/16 of major tournaments.

I did get to play him myself a little over a week ago when I went to Philadelphia. Overall I was pretty happy with the experience. I'm still pretty unhappy with some of the design choices(such as low health/stun), but I"m still excited to put a lot of time into him when AE hits console.

This is a match I had against a local Gief player who is also female. By far the best female SF player I've played in person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txm8rQ3wPJE

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So anybody else thinking about switching it up in AE?

I've always liked Gen, and his new stuff looks pretty interesting, so I'm thinking I'll start playing him more seriously. He was my main for a while in the early days of vanilla, but eventually his execution barrier put me off. I've never been good with moves that make you press a bunch of buttons really fast.

Plus I mained Viper in vanilla and Makoto in super. Growing out of mixup characters a bit I think. It's been 2 years, time to start playing the game a bit differently. Gonna still play Mak a lot (at first at least) but I probably won't play her as much eventually.

But who knows. Maybe I'll get addicted to the Mak powah.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Lost Fragment said:

Think I'll probably start playing Gen more seriously. He was my main for a while in the early days of vanilla, but eventually his execution barrier put me off. I've never been good with moves that make you press a bunch of buttons really fast. His new stuff in AE seems interesting.

Plus I mained Viper in vanilla and Makoto in super. Growing out of mixup characters a bit I think. It's been 2 years, time to start playing the game a bit differently. Gonna still play Mak a lot (at first at least) but I probably won't play her as much eventually.

I'm gonna give Oni a twirl, I doubt I'll stick with him. Thinking about picking up yang, but it depends on how cumbersome he is to play. I really want to become good with Balrog so in the end I'll probably crawl back to him and have Blanka as his jester.

zlatko

Banned
Lost Fragment said:

I've always liked Gen, and his new stuff looks pretty interesting, so I'm thinking I'll start playing him more seriously. He was my main for a while in the early days of vanilla, but eventually his execution barrier put me off. I've never been good with moves that make you press a bunch of buttons really fast.

I'm going full in with Yun. I main Abel right now, but I have no desire to keep playing him in AE. In Third Strike I spent around 70% of my playtime with Yun and 30% with ken, so it just seems like a natural change in AE to go back to a character I have a ton of experience with in a previous entry... plus it isn't too shabby that's he's God Tier. :p

Lost Fragment said:

I'm going to try Makoto

But my heart isn't really in it anymore, not sure if I can commit the time to learn a completely new character (and my Guy right now has gone down the toilet after not playing so much, and I still want to main and improve with him)

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
biosnake20 said:

Thanks for these, really starved for good Evil Ryu play, or ANY Evil Ryu play in general, and this guy knows his stuff, damn.

If I'm going to play him, I see I'm going to have to continue with the FADC play since I've been a charge character player for the most part of SSFIV, but for the past few months I've been hitting FADC combos with Ryu & Ken in matches.

Lost Fragment said:

Here's a pretty sick Gen combo from the first video linked above that I didn't even know he could do, at 15:05: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyYlunF6-1U&feature=player_detailpage#t=905s

I keep saying that I'll go to one or two characters max, but to this day I still make a rotation of about 10 characters in a lobby whenever I play, and on top of that I'm looking to play Yang and Evil Ryu.

Yang is going to be a bitch to play seeing as I have trouble doing Rekkas on a square gate, I have an octo gate if I ever decide to narrow it down to him, which I doubt I ever will but yeah. It's tough for me to stick to one or two characters, but now (again) I want to master two characters instead of just being very good with a lot.

Kimosabae

Banned
As long as Marvel exists, I'll only have time to play Viper in AE. I might start going in again with Ken, though, since it seems like they made all the changes I felt he needed in Super. Interested in Cammy again, too, since she doesn't seem mindless anymore.

Ichabod

Banned
Been really meaning to hop into an endless with you guys but decided to hold off until AE drops. That said, I look forward to having my Mak blown the hell up next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom