• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeEarth

the_log_ride said:
Been trying to warm up for GAFbats part 2... Here's a set of messages I got from a decent Ken player who rage quit on me in the 3rd round of our match.
http://i.imgur.com/DGbW4.jpg
How dare you zone with a zoning character! If he played Dhalsim I'm sure he'd be always in your face and doing 29 hit combos.

Jesus @ that 99+ hit combo.

Axis

XenoRaven said:
Whoa these are way more fun when it's a character you play!

He did jab into U1...

have to have perfect spacing as you would if you did c.lp into sweep or into s.mp

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
oh so this is where the thread went...

i got the bug again. can't stop playing sak either. I think i've leveled up my game...I certainly read my opponents much better than I used to.

Any other gaffers roll Sakura? I just got high and typed this rambling post on SRK:

---
yeesssh srk is such a mess to navigate! There needs to be an AE board for all the speculative stuff >_<

I got some protips for sakura...maybe people use these already, I dunno, I havent hit the forums in a loong time.

Meaty light tatsu - sooo good to do after a knockdown, provided you've trained your opponent to not spam reversal. If they block it, you've got a cr.HP frame trap. If they crouch tech (and boy, do they) you got a counterhit EZ link to cr. HP XX EX tatsu -> mixup

not really a protip, but every time I play against a remotely competent sak in a mirror match, they have NO IDEA how to get out of their own mixup. If they're going for an aggressive reset, BE MASHING DP. If you stuff the first attempt at a reset, it gets a lot harder for sak to mix it up.

also

SAVE THE DASH UNDER!!
don't do the dash under reset the first chance you get, sheesh. That dashunder has saved my ass and given me the advantage more times than I can count. Don't give away your best tricks from the start!

If you're getting zoned/outpoked, you need to get creative. Use lk tatsu for ground spacing (keep this in mind when trapped in the corner!!!). Even MK and HK can be good for spacing if you can get them in blockstun, but it's easier to punish on reaction.

The regular otoshi isn't garbage either! Well kind of. But if you're getting out-poked, do a big block-stun chain to push em back a ways. When you think they're gonna start poking at your feet, normal otoshi and fuck em up!! I've seen this work the best against sweepy akuma. You can also space from fullscreen with the regular otoshi...it's not much, but if you're sakura and are getting locked down with pokes, you need to start thinking outside the box, cuz her bread and butter moveset just aint enough.
----

Anyone got stuff to add? Or stuff to disagree with?

Also can someone give me a reason to use U2 over U1. I really can't see one.

Use ultra 2 for characters with strong air games and the grapplers (save hakan) to stay out of their vortex. I'd also say ultra 2 versus Blanka since you'll have to use shouken more than ex tatsu against him.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
dragonballjoseph said:
Use ultra 2 for characters with strong air games and the grapplers (save hakan) to stay out of their vortex. I'd also say ultra 2 versus Blanka since you'll have to use shouken more than ex tatsu against him.
Yeah, it seems like matchup specific it would be a better choice. Basically anyone I have a more difficult time getting the mixup going on, i guess? hmm...prolly deejay would be a good one to use that on too. I have the hardest goddamn time with that jerk. I havent really read a forum since super came out, so I'm not the best w/ those matchups...gotta learn what to bait and punish I guess, but everything seems so safe :(((

don't get me started on thawk. wtf do i dooooo?

Axis

bistromathics said:
oh so this is where the thread went...

i got the bug again. can't stop playing sak either. I think i've leveled up my game...I certainly read my opponents much better than I used to.

Any other gaffers roll Sakura? I just got high and typed this rambling post on SRK:

---
yeesssh srk is such a mess to navigate! There needs to be an AE board for all the speculative stuff >_<

I got some protips for sakura...maybe people use these already, I dunno, I havent hit the forums in a loong time.

Meaty light tatsu - sooo good to do after a knockdown, provided you've trained your opponent to not spam reversal. If they block it, you've got a cr.HP frame trap. If they crouch tech (and boy, do they) you got a counterhit EZ link to cr. HP XX EX tatsu -> mixup

not really a protip, but every time I play against a remotely competent sak in a mirror match, they have NO IDEA how to get out of their own mixup. If they're going for an aggressive reset, BE MASHING DP. If you stuff the first attempt at a reset, it gets a lot harder for sak to mix it up.

also

SAVE THE DASH UNDER!!
don't do the dash under reset the first chance you get, sheesh. That dashunder has saved my ass and given me the advantage more times than I can count. Don't give away your best tricks from the start!

If you're getting zoned/outpoked, you need to get creative. Use lk tatsu for ground spacing (keep this in mind when trapped in the corner!!!). Even MK and HK can be good for spacing if you can get them in blockstun, but it's easier to punish on reaction.

The regular otoshi isn't garbage either! Well kind of. But if you're getting out-poked, do a big block-stun chain to push em back a ways. When you think they're gonna start poking at your feet, normal otoshi and fuck em up!! I've seen this work the best against sweepy akuma. You can also space from fullscreen with the regular otoshi...it's not much, but if you're sakura and are getting locked down with pokes, you need to start thinking outside the box, cuz her bread and butter moveset just aint enough.
----

Anyone got stuff to add? Or stuff to disagree with?

Also can someone give me a reason to use U2 over U1. I really can't see one.

gg's the last couple of times we've played :p

vexco on xbl

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
dragonballjoseph said:
Use ultra 2 for characters with strong air games and the grapplers (save hakan) to stay out of their vortex.
Er, wait i don't follow...to stay out of their vortex? Like who do you mean? And how do you use the U2 to AA a vortex? Can you do it effectively on wakeup...cuz waking up is the hardest part about dealin w/ vortexes...

Axis

bistromathics said:
yea you smoke my face off

and now you know my best tricks :(

lol nah i just generally know how to play against sakura...one of the few chars i can say that about since i mained her when the game first came out :(

i agree with saving the dash under but doing it early could also set up opportunities to late dash and not cross under them; i get hit by this more than actual dash unders D:

bistromathics said:
Er, wait i don't follow...to stay out of their vortex? Like who do you mean? And how do you use the U2 to AA a vortex? Can you do it effectively on wakeup...cuz waking up is the hardest part about dealin w/ vortexes...

yes, you can do it effectively on wakeup if you can distinguish whether or not they've safe jumped your options.

El Sloth

Banned
Oh man, I figured I'd mess with Bipson a bit after all the New Years celebrations last night(early morning?) and it seems like all Adon's absolutely lose their shit out when you start abusing headstomp and have absolutely no clue what to do other than mash Jaguar kick and tooth. It's like they forget how to block all of a sudden. I'd upload vids if I knew how.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Axis said:
i agree with saving the dash under but doing it early could also set up opportunities to late dash and not cross under them; i get hit by this more than actual dash unders D:
Oh you're right! So I get hit by this a lot too...well not a lot...not enough saks out there. But it's a real effective tool to have in your reset kid. I dont actually use it, cuz if I pop someone early out of the air, it's to give them enough time to panic and start mashing ;)

axis said:
yes, you can do it effectively on wakeup if you can distinguish whether or not they've safe jumped your options.
That would be...awesome!!! Can you help me try this? I'm trying to set it up in training mode but cant really put akumas vortex on record. Do you do the straight forward one or AA one? which direction do you go for - the way they jumped from or where they're gonna land? Will it auto correct? All these questions is why I never woulda thought to do this, but saks wakeup options ain't so hot. A good vortex completely locks my brain...i'd like to have a good response to it.

Axis

bistromathics said:
Oh you're right! So I get hit by this a lot too...well not a lot...not enough saks out there. But it's a real effective tool to have in your reset kid. I dont actually use it, cuz if I pop someone early out of the air, it's to give them enough time to panic and start mashing ;)

That would be...awesome!!! Can you help me try this? I'm trying to set it up in training mode but cant really put akumas vortex on record. Do you do the straight forward one or AA one? which direction do you go for - the way they jumped from or where they're gonna land? Will it auto correct? All these questions is why I never woulda thought to do this, but saks wakeup options ain't so hot. A good vortex completely locks my brain...i'd like to have a good response to it.

sure i'll be online in a few minutes

USD

The creator of Vanguard Princess wishes you a Happy New Year. :lol

hwXpo.jpg

XenoRaven

Leaving MGL now. Got beat on by who I think was lilsicx. He had like a 20 win streak and I think he had to leave. Then I saw haunts there. Couldn't stick around too long because I had a friend who does not play Street Fighter with me. It was fun though. Lost a round against a Bison because I missed an Ultra. Forgot Gief's Lariat is invincible forever again. Against Ken, I have no excuse. He was just way better than me.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
XenoRaven said:
Leaving MGL now. Got beat on by who I think was lilsicx. He had like a 20 win streak and I think he had to leave. Then I saw haunts there. Couldn't stick around too long because I had a friend who does not play Street Fighter with me. It was fun though. Lost a round against a Bison because I missed an Ultra. Forgot Gief's Lariat is invincible forever again. Against Ken, I have no excuse. He was just way better than me.

wait...wha?

USD

I haven't played AE, but according to the official blog both Lariats are the same as they are in Super. They went out of the way to mention twice that there were no changes to it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
XenoRaven said:
Forgot Gief's Lariat is invincible forever again.
You must be bullshitting.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
is Yun's EX lunge Punch > Ultra 1 character specific or what?!

i've seen it land probably twice out of dozens of tries so far in vids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom