• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

one_kill

I just got this game today for the PS3. I'm still trying to get used to the mechanics as I'm just a beginner. I'm finding the ultra combos for some of the caharacters hard to pull off, but I hope to get better with practice.

one_kill said:
I just got this game today for the PS3. I'm still trying to get used to the mechanics as I'm just a beginner. I'm finding the ultra combos for some of the caharacters hard to pull off, but I hope to get better with practice.

Within a week you'll have the mechanics down. Also, remember that your normals are much more important than your specials.

SmokeMaxX

Some additional impressions from the trip with Chaotix and Joekage:

-Blanka's pretty much the same or better IMO. Ball nerf is noticeable but if you still like to spam ball, get closer and just spam lp ball :lol. Gief isn't that scary with Blanka. Slide looked better, but it's hard to just spam slide when you're paying $1 a match just to see if it's punishable. I spent an entire round trying to OS crouch tech with cr. mp against Yun. I get blow up trying that garbage. I think I got perfected because I was convinced it would work. Nope, it didn't. Blockstun on that move is weird.

-Yun: Really solid character. Has pretty much a ton of tools and the low health doesn't really matter because he has mobility, safe ways to get in, a DP, and high damage output + the mixups. Builds meter fast. Ex Dash punch is SUPER annoying. I don't know the properties, but really fast + breaks armor + free chip + even or positive on block + has good/great priority. I may have thrown the move on startup or stuffed it as it was coming towards me, but pretty difficult to react to. DP is safe jumpable, but does have good priority/invincibility. Dive kicks can be stuffed before they get to you. Traded or stuffed with various moves like Bison/DJ st. mk. Be careful of dive kicks. If you're not used to the different versions, it's really easy to get crossed up especially in the corner. Oh, he also has easy combos.

-Cody: 3 frame crouch short is gonna be annoying. Also, Joekage is free.

-Dudley: Didn't really see anything way different here, but maybe Jet Upper has buffed up properties. Also, thunderbolt is godlike in the right hands. Oh, and Chaotix is free.

-Bison: pretty much the same as before. Nothing really noticeable except it's annoying to do less damage with st. hk in certain situations. Super may have been changed since I used to find it really difficult to connect hell attack into most hits of the super (including the final sweep) and did it first try in AE.

-DJ: New knee shot input is a godsend. Also, lk xx sobat is pretty fun, especially into super. Fireball recovery is noticeable. Still weak on wakeup to cr. short pressure.

-Gief: Not that bad, but I used Bison/Blanka and I've played really good Giefs in Japan on Vanilla. I think the ex-gh change is a nerf in a lot of matchups and a buff in others. Totally did Blanka's wake up ultra against Jan's brother and hit him with it. Well worth it. SPD range is really noticeable. Gief has those Dhalsim arms now. Also, Siberian Blizzard is so hype. As Balrog would say, there's no escape!

-Rose: I feel bad for Rose users because they're now forced to pretty much backdash or block again on wakeup since Soul Satellite was nerfed to hell. I'd knock Rose down and just sit there on her wakeup. If she activated Soul Satellite, I'd mash grab and throw her out of it which made her orbs vanish.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
one_kill said:

Just keep practicing. And play a lot against better people. Only way to get better. Expect to lose a lot before you start winning. Don't be down when that happens.

taku

h3ro said:
Anyone know the name of that Yun player?

Yun's black color option looks dope, Raiders style Silver and Black.
UshikiyoKANJIKANJI :/

Edit: Holy trombone! Anyone see that Yun combo just now?

h3ro

BloodySinner said:
Some of you might appreciate this. I know I did.

Dudley getting out the limo! :lol

Also, the backstage interview with the 4 Shadaloo bosses was soooo good.

Thanks for the info on the Yun, fellas. Oh snap random Guy!

USD

Gama holding it down with Guy. :lol
h3ro said:
Thanks for the info on the Yun, fellas. Oh snap random Guy!
Not random, it's Gama, which is why you don't hear commentary right now. :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So j.fierce with fei is good now or what?

After thinking a bit about AE changes I will continue to main Dudley, but the tier whore in me will put more time into Fei from now on. Also Cody and some Adon.

Mak looks like a lot of fun but the sounds she makes are fucking annoying. Also giant feet and manly face, she got bigger balls than Rog.

Rocwell

Yoshichan said:
So j.fierce with fei is good now or what?
In what sense? His angled fierce works pretty well as air to air. He has better options for jump-ins definitely. If you neutral jump and use anything besides roundhouse you probably messed up. Not sure what you're getting at?

cHaotix8

Gief Siberian blizzard is pretty damn buff. Getting hit by Green Hand puts you in a perfect 50/50. Anti airing with DP is also a big no-no. I don't see how Gief isn't going to be at least top 7.

Yun upkicks have a decent amount of invincibility. I never traded with them but I don't think they're Cammy level.

Dudley buffs are kinda subtle. As I figured before, EX ducking will only help against Guile, Chun, Dee Jay and Sim. No crazy St. RH xx EX duck combos. Less recovery on St. RH makes it much safer to try to whiff punish and buffer EX MGB with though so that's cool. And a faster stomach blow just gives you the option the get more damage in from a safe distance.

From what I could tell, Yun Dudley is 5/5, since I had no problem anti airing Hsien's Yun. 2 combos will put him to bed. And you can catch his normals playing footsies with ST. RH xx EX MGB when he doesn't want to dive kick anymore. Just look out for the EX Lunge punch BS.

Didn't get to play a really good Yang but I'm feeling it to be 5/5 as well. If your defense is good the twins really aren't scary.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Wow, some good people on Ranked XBL :lol

Had an amazing 5-match series with a very good Guile. At the end of the game he befriended me. XBL can be awesome sometimes =P

notworksafe

Anyone know if there will be any streams on tonight? Hosting an SSF4 party + mini-tourney and thought it'd be cool to have an AE stream on one of the TVs at the same time.

eissan

so based on what I have read Ryu went from the top 1/3 of the cast to at BEST the middle of the cast if not worse since he lost his c.f :(.

fuck that blows I dont wanna learn a new character...is there any chance AE will get even more re-balances before it hits consoles some time next year?

eissan said:
so based on what I have read Ryu went from the top 1/3 of the cast to at BEST the middle of the cast if not worse since he lost his c.f :(.

fuck that blows I dont wanna learn a new character...is there any chance AE will get even more re-balances before it hits consoles some time next year?

Evil Ryu

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It just means you have to play him more aggressive in a way and more defensively in another way. I still think he's good. Certainly not bottom tier. People can still beast with him.

Tonight should be interesting. I have a chance to try out AE but if I'm as drunk as I was on Christmas, I won't remember stuff. :lol I don't even remember who I was playing on Christmas. :lol Probably will do the same thing when everything dies down.

eissan said:
ya that is only if he's playable otherwise I have to pick up a new character or get stuck playin ryu and bitching about how crappy he is haha.

Well if he's not playable or banned at tourneys then I'll just stick with my 2 mains Ken and Ryu. I used Ken a couple times at vanilla tournaments when he was considered mid tier. I'll do the same for Ryu, who has been my true main practically all my life. Low forward may have been nerfed and escape tatsu taken away, but he still works the same after that. I think he'll be fine in AE, although I'm still rubbing my hands in anticipation for Evil Ryu.

Ryu didn't need any nerfs at all, ugh! He is a footsie, ground game character and his cr.mk was pretty much his important tool. I sometimes wonder who Capcom listens to when they make this changes :-/ It's as dumb as changing sagat's st.lk.

DR2K

Banned
BotoxAgent said:
Ryu didn't need any nerfs at all, ugh! He is a footsie, ground game character and his cr.mk was pretty much his important tool. I sometimes wonder who Capcom listens to when they make this changes :-/ It's as dumb as changing sagat's st.lk.

He's not supposed to excel at anything, he's a good all around character. He does great damage, never needs meter besides fadc into ultra, all around great normals, solid health, etc. . . cr.mk was dumb, so very dumb.

Axis

hitsugi said:
scrubs don't like it when you whiff cannon strikes for fun while they're holding down-back as hard as they can

down-back works tho...no overhead is such a downside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom