• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
God's Beard said:
And those are cultural stereotypes. Racism has to do with genetics.

Saying Jews are inherently conniving is racist. Saying Jews bake Matzo bread or know Krav Maga isn't.

Saying french people eat frogs isn't racist, but if I refer to a french person with that slang on this board, I'll get modded. Racism can extend beyond behavior, like belittling someone's cultural background.

But there are no real racist characters in SF. Their stereotypes are on the same level as those dolls in that It's a Small World ride.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
T. Hawk is funny because it's obviously based on what the Japanese think Native Americans are. Nevermind the confusion between the tribes and nations based in modern-day Mexico with the pacific northwest and elsewhere.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Rice-Eater said:
Ok I gotta agree with this. Nothing is worse then playing a runaway Rufus or Viper. Offense is there main tool, and yet the match starts with these guys moving back and waiting for me to attack most of the game whether they're winning or not.

I'm going to make a video later showing this. :D

Degen

USD said:
Random conversations going on in the Sp00ky stream.

I'd buy Team Sp00ky love pillows. :lol
AH3 officially scares me...

EDIT: damn I love trolling stream monsters about my own favorite games just to mess with them :lol

N4Us

I thought Seth from KOF was gay and he would hit on guys in his victory quotes, but I just read he has a wife and child in the story so uhhhhh

So I was fighting a Rufus today with my Pimpson, and apparently came up with a setup that makes the second strong of this air target combo xup Rufus. And I think it may be an unblockable (but you may be able to mash out).

Doing some more test on it. :D

Rice-Eater said:
Ok I gotta agree with this. Nothing is worse then playing a runaway Rufus or Viper. Offense is there main tool, and yet the match starts with these guys moving back and waiting for me to attack most of the game whether they're winning or not.

Actually i play a turtley ass viper :lol

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Wiseblade said:
Fuerte, DeeJay and Rufus aren't nearly as offensive as T.Hawk and Dhalsim. Then again, nearly anything would be less offensive than T.Hawk and Dhalsim. :lol
Is a stereotype (in a crazy fantasy video game no less) necessarily offensive?

As a Brit, surely you don't find Dudley offensive. Boxing, roses, drinking tea, a butler, a posh accent... I just find it all a bit too hilarious to be offensive! Proud to have such stereotypes representing our nation as a street fighter :lol

And what about things like the CvS2 London stage? It's so badly stereotyped that it's good: a double-decker bus (with "Queen Knight Queen" on the side), a Mini, a horse and cart, one sign saying one place while the Tube station is totally different... it's great!

Street Fighter is just a bit more extreme than other more 'reserved' fighting games, but that doesn't make it racist or offensive. I just don't understand what makes T.Hawk more offensive than Rufus in your eyes.

Wiseblade

B-Genius said:
Is a stereotype (in a crazy fantasy video game no less) necessarily offensive?

As a Brit, surely you don't find Dudley offensive. Boxing, roses, drinking tea, a butler, a posh accent... I just find it all a bit too hilarious to be offensive! Proud to have such stereotypes representing our nation as a street fighter :lol

And what about things like the CvS2 London stage? It's so badly stereotyped that it's good: a double-decker bus (with "Queen Knight Queen" on the side), a Mini, a horse and cart, one sign saying one place while the Tube station is totally different... it's great!

Street Fighter is just a bit more extreme than other more 'reserved' fighting games, but that doesn't make it racist or offensive. I just don't understand what makes T.Hawk more offensive than Rufus in your eyes.

I don't find any of it truly offensive. It's just that if you sit down and think about it, T.Hawk and Dhalsim are more facepalm-y than the rest of the cast. Expecially Dhalsim. I mean, I guy who learned to stretch limbs, breathe fire and teleport through yoga and wears the skulls of deadchildren around his neck. T.Hawk is practically a straight rip for any cowboy and indians movie.

Compared to that, "lucha libre chef with food based moves" and "fat american using kung fu" seem tame.

hitsugi

Kadey said:
I'm going to make a video later showing this. :D

turtle shotos are always annoying as well.. but I think they're a lot more common and (for whatever reason) more accepted.

this takes me back to MVC2 days when I'd run across turtle magneto players and just think "...what's the point of this?"

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Wiseblade said:
I don't find any of it truly offensive. It's just that if you sit down and think about it, T.Hawk and Dhalsim are more facepalm-y than the rest of the cast. Expecially Dhalsim. I mean, I guy who learned to stretch limbs, breathe fire and teleport through yoga and wears the skulls of deadchildren around his neck. T.Hawk is practically a straight rip for any cowboy and indians movie.

Compared to that, "lucha libre chef with food based moves" and "fat american using kung fu" seem tame.
Whoah, that's dark! :lol I thought he had like some some voodoo shrunken head thing going on.

I getcha. But when you break it down like that, the whole thing is pretty silly.
I am not a great fan of a lot of the old characters (let alone their designs) in the first place, because they seem purposefully more 'wacky' than interesting.
However, SF wouldn't be SF without the most radical, OTT versions of each nation/culture/martial art representing throughout.

Come to think of it, SF3's roster was not particularly stereotypical despite being a bunch of "freaks". I mean, Oro was supposedly from Brazil... but he didn't really symbolise anything or have any traits. He was just a powerful old hermit and could have been from anywhere. I guess that was kinda cool, and definitely less 'facepalm-y' character design.

BitchTits

Wiseblade said:
I mean, I guy who learned to stretch limbs, breathe fire and teleport through yoga and wears the skulls of deadchildren around his neck.
Would you rather him wear the skulls of live children? ;)

Masamuna

Random gen question: Would the new TC (HP~MK) help with piano'ing mk hands? As in: FP~(LP+)MK~MP~FP~FP?

And on that note, is it possible to buffer a punch button between the MP, MK link to facilitate the piano method as well?

Axis

Masamuna said:
Random gen question: Would the new TC (HP~MK) help with piano'ing mk hands? As in: FP~(LP+)MK~MP~FP~FP?

And on that note, is it possible to buffer a punch button between the MP, MK link to facilitate the piano method as well?

plink the mp with lp

mp~lp->mk~lp should give you a couple extra inputs

Brobzoid said:
fuggen animu fighters, how do they work?

like, for real, don't understand shit. school girl swimming in the blob versus rollergirl... =_=;
Kira is my wife

Damn, I kind of want that game, but no funds :/
I forgot Art quit Super for this.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I like this white haired girl with the red tie. She got dat generic animu fierceness <3

Woohoo, I finally fucking did it. It took so long but I finally did that combo I've always wanted to do with Cammy in training mode. 4 EX TK Cannon Strike, TK Cannon Strike, st. MP, cr. FP, cr. MK, MK Spiral Arrow. Total damage is 431, definitely not worth it but if you're owning a Shoto and just landed a focus or stunned him and feel like styling and have the meter to do it, why the fuck not I guess.

And I also got hate mail on Xbox Live. Today was a good day :)

FindMyFarms said:
Actually i play a turtley ass viper :lol

Well I guess that only applies to people on your level because when we played and you used Viper you went after my ass and when I was knocked down, you didn't let up. Dealing with Viper on wake up is a huge pain in the ass. I actually got in Peaceful Jay's room once and got a couple of wins. Then I noticed that my next opponent was a Peaceful Jay regular who mains Viper, K Mada. Needless to say, I was toast when he scored a knockdown.

USD

http://www.capcom.co.jp/blog/sf4/saikyo_blog/2011/01/14_3004.html

Starting tomorrow, there's going to be a slight change to the ranking system in Arcade Edition, including the introduction of the Grand Master rank as well as a totally new rank, Ultimate Master:

Ultimate Master: Over 45000 BP and Rank #1
Grand Master: Over 40000 BP and Ranked top 100 (below Ultimate Master)
So a total of 101 players will take the highest ranks.

As of yesterday, only Mago (48465 BP) and Umehara (48349 BP) would qualify for Grand Master, as they're the only two above 40K BP, Tokido being the closest at 38409 BP. Both also have enough BP to qualify for Ultimate, it's just a question of who has the most. Rank #1 has already been going back and forth between the two, it will be probably the same for Ultimate Master.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
_dementia said:
They're supposedly children who died of starvation in his village.
Damn.

In response to Yun/Yang vids, Fei's rekkas have been mentioned, but is anyone else watching and thinking: "Rufus' dive-kicks, Gen's up-kicks, Guy's hozanto..."

Especially when they play each other, it looks like a bit of a snooze-fest right now, but hopefully that'll change in time.

I love the animation for Yang's FA, and his U2 is sweet as well. If I dabble with either it'll probably be him.

LakeEarth

Gahh! I've never had 4000pp, and last night I reached 3997pp before losing twice in a row. Then I broke down and I think I'm ~3700pp now. So frustrating.

Threi

notag
LakeEarth said:
Gahh! I've never had 4000pp, and last night I reached 3997pp before losing twice in a row. Then I broke down and I think I'm ~3700pp now. So frustrating.
Yup, i was at 3950, and then proceeded to lose every match until i fell to about 2700. That shit happens, don't go into ranked unless you feel you are 100% and rage-free.

USD

prodystopian said:
gothfetish7etv.gif

i beat an 18k Akuma w/ my newly picked-up (500bp) Rose last night. I haven't been so hype on myself since i won a grade-school football championship.

Also, i love the Deejay v Gief match in the latest excellent adventures. so fn funny.

Just reading from SRK about this Kuwait Guy player (Nox2). Daigo and Tokido seem to think that he is the best guy player.

His Youtube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperNox2

there's some matches there of him beating some Japanese players online and some casual matches with Daigo

Watched all his videos, and I am really impressed. Nice to see a top player getting recognized from an unlikely place \m/

Imm0rt4l

BotoxAgent said:
Just reading from SRK about this Kuwait Guy player (Nox2). Daigo and Tokido seem to think that he is the best guy player.

His Youtube page:

there's some matches there of him beating some Japanese players online and some casual matches with Daigo

Watched all his videos, and I am really impressed. Nice to see a top player getting recognized from an unlikely place \m/
Wow this guy is a monster.

BotoxAgent said:

His Youtube page:

Could have used some of these videos as reference when I tried getting my Guy to C.

Anyway, how come when he FADCs out of Hozanto, he doesn't flash yellow? Has it always been like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB5IEsFxZGM&t=2m33s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom