• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Threi

notag
God's Beard said:
DeeJay doesn't count, he's not even a real Street Fighter character. He's like prEX.
dc02trjb.gif

mike ross dancing around your hate

I'm just saying that he's the only one not designed by Capcom Japan. It's like if the Brady Bunch took in an orphan. Everyone's nice around him, sure, but he's not really part of the family.

He's like Hyde on that 70s Show. He's everyone's friend, but when the chips fall, who gets blamed for the stolen money?

Wiseblade

Threi said:
none are racist.

Hawk, fuerte, DeeJay, Dhalsim, and Rufus are pretty bad stereotypes though.
Fuerte, DeeJay and Rufus aren't nearly as offensive as T.Hawk and Dhalsim. Then again, nearly anything would be less offensive than T.Hawk and Dhalsim. :lol

I think T.Hawk and Boxer are the most racist, especially in the some of the Boxer promo artwork (not just Sf4, but through the years).

But everything is a stereotype in SF I guess.

A side question now:

Has there ever been an outright gay fighting game character yet?

ThatCrazyGuy said:
I think T.Hawk and Boxer are the most racist, especially in the some of the Boxer promo artwork (not just Sf4, but through the years).

A side question now:

several
just not in the mainstream games (though it recently came out that zangief is gay)

ThatCrazyGuy said:
A side question now:

Ash I guess, if you consider Bare Knuckle III's Vs. mode a fighting game.

AkumaHokoru said:
several
just not in the mainstream games (though it recently came out that zangief is gay)
I wasn't aware of Zangief. I knew the actor playing Gief in the Collegehumor SF shorts a few years ago was though.

Threi

notag
ThatCrazyGuy said:
A side question now:

it's been debatable whether gief and eagle are gay. There has been evidence to both support and disprove it...maybe they are bi?

Satyamdas

Banned
I always get a good laugh at people who somehow manage to be offended by SF characters. What fragile and completely sheltered lives they must lead if Dhalsim somehow registers with them as offensive and racist. I wish I could say I'm surprised by that kind of reaction, but alas this is the overly PC, ultra thin skinned and hyper-offended world we live in today. There are people who genuinely believe that SF2 is racist because of the opening where the white guy punches the black guy. Which of course doesn't even touch on the horribly racist characters and terrible stereotypes that game heaped upon us.
ibFBx4.gif

I just fail to see how lighthearted caricatures designed to give a game variegation in aesthetics and styles of play is seen by anyone as insulting or crossing a line. Now if Balrog lobbed watermelon projectiles or if Fuerte was depicted as a lazy janitor? Sure, that's_racist.gif. But the game has nothing at all near that kind of racist tone. It's like if a character depicts anything close to a stereotype (which do exist in real life), it gets lumped in with the most heinous, racist and actually offensive ones. For this game not to be "offensive" do we need 1 bland character type with 35 palette swaps? Because then we'd be playing KOF, and I say FUUUUUU to that.

Soulstar

Satyamdas said:
I always get a good laugh at people who somehow manage to be offended by SF characters. What fragile and completely sheltered lives they must lead if Dhalsim somehow registers with them as offensive and racist. I wish I could say I'm surprised by that kind of reaction, but alas this is the overly PC, ultra thin skinned and hyper-offended world we live in today. There are people who genuinely believe that SF2 is racist because of the opening where the white guy punches the black guy. Which of course doesn't even touch on the horribly racist characters and terrible stereotypes that game heaped upon us.
ibFBx4.gif

I just fail to see how lighthearted caricatures designed to give a game variegation in aesthetics and styles of play is seen by anyone as insulting or crossing a line. Now if Balrog lobbed watermelon projectiles or if Fuerte was depicted as a lazy janitor? Sure, that's_racist.gif. But the game has nothing at all near that kind of racist tone. It's like if a character depicts anything close to a stereotype (which do exist in real life), it gets lumped in with the most heinous, racist and actually offensive ones. For this game not to be "offensive" do we need 1 bland character type with 35 palette swaps? Because then we'd be playing KOF, and I say FUUUUUU to that.

I am offended by both your KOF comment and your butchering of the word variation.

Satyamdas

Banned
Soulstar said:
I am offended by both your KOF comment and your butchering of the word variation.
I can live with your offense at my KOF troll, but I chose variegation on purpose.

: the act of variegating : the state of being variegated; especially : diversity of colors ^_^

Threi

notag
LakeEarth said:
I'm offended that Ken is supposedly 3/4th Japanese yet somehow has blonde hair.
His hair is dyed mang

Blonde hair black eyebrows.

and regarding gief something like he has a picture of vega in his bedroom or some shit like that i dunno.

but then in one of his alpha endings his idea of a good life is him in a hotub filled with women...so i dunno

and i'm too lazy to actually back this up.

LakeEarth

Rice-Eater said:
You've never seen naturally blonde Asians before? It happens, I would know because I like eating rice.
I actually looked up if there was blonde japanese people, but all I got was dyed hair stuff.

Imm0rt4l

ThatCrazyGuy said:

A side question now:

I believe Zangief is gay, not hard gay flamboyant though. I don't think that really counts since he isn't 'outright'.

SmokeMaxX

Happy Phantom said:
any links to back up that gief is gay? curious about this
One of the Alpha endings. Something about R Mika and how my friend claims Gief says that he doesn't like women during it or something.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
God's Beard said:
Who is the most racist character in Street Fighter? My vote's Rose.

She absorbs fireballs and it makes her stronger, right? Think about it.

She's a gypsy whose move set involves stealing things.

Plus, nothing she says ever makes any sense.

I dont think its "racist"

but Fuerte gets it. his intro, name of his moves....

Chavelo

~Devil Trigger~ said:

but Fuerte gets it. his intro, name of his moves....

but Ryu gets it. his intro, name of his moves...

God's Beard said:
Saying Mexicans are lazy is racist, saying Mexicans eat tortillas isn't.

I don't eat torti---

OH SHIT! IS THAT SMOKE? MOOOM? DID YOU TAKE THE TORTILLAS OF THE MICROWAVE???
AH LA CHINGADA D:

God's Beard said:
Saying Mexicans are lazy is racist, saying Mexicans eat tortillas isn't.

The guy repping Japan is this heroic, virtuous, karate-trained everyman, while the mexican dude is reciting the taco bell menu.

And those are cultural stereotypes. Racism has to do with genetics.

Saying Jews are inherently conniving is racist. Saying Jews bake Matzo bread or know Krav Maga isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom