• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DR2K said:
These updates are not just based on high level play. It's probably based on character usage, scrub players, general complaints, and high level play. Which is probably why these balance changes are a mixed bag. We really don't know how any of these changes will play out until it's all said and done.

Capcom's balancing the game for the average, outspoken player because that's the audience that has gotten them the success they currently have. Thats why the "annoying" things that kill scrubs (like seth jump fierce, gief vortex, etc.) have been taking out of the game. This is also by no means my own personal opinion, no further comment.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
USD said:
T.HAWK

Normals
-cl.HK has less recovery, is +4 on hit (according to the Super frame data, however, it was already +4)
cl.HK is kinda weird in that it'll whiff on certain hitstuns.

-st.HK does more hit/block stun, making it harder to punish
It's currently negative on both block and hit, but I've never seen somebody take advantage of this. Similarly, you can tick throw from non-ex spire because people always think they're still in blockstun even though they've long since gotten out of it.

-Diagonal j.HK has slightly more active frames
Cool.

Specials
-EX Condor Dive can be done as a single move; can be done on a back jump, is projectile-invincible until the end of the attack
This is going to be awesome.

-LP Condor Spire hitbox extended forward
This is a nerf. When people catch on to what I mentioned earlier, you never want to actually touch someone on the ground with spire.

-Condor Spire builds more meter when done
More incentive to use spire after typhoon, I suppose, although low dives are far better for repositioning.

Super Combo
-Double Typhoon now has the same range as LP Mexican Typhoon (1.5, up from 1.35)
Also cool.

Ultra Combos
-Raging Slash (UC2) has a faster startup, attack continues until the end of invincibility, making it incredibly easy to use as an anti-air
All I want to know is if autocorrect UC2 actually works now. If so, then it'll be huge in the Akuma matchup.

Wallach

Maybe I'm overestimating it, but T. Hawk being able to EX Condor while jumping backwards seems like it will be fucking amazing. I don't want to go for a ride. :(

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Wallach said:
Maybe I'm overestimating it, but T. Hawk being able to EX Condor while jumping backwards seems like it will be fucking amazing. I don't want to go for a ride. :(
Dudley's rose will still shut it down, though. :(

Timedog said:
is cr. jab link into st. fp a 2 frame??

Yes it's a 2 frame link, same with cr. MP into st. HP link. But Akuma players can only let off one jab before it pushes back the opponent too far. So it's hit confirmable, but your reactions better be pretty good to attempt that combo.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I think my Chun is better than my Ryu in some matchups, and I don't even know how to play Chun or how to do any combos. Dat normals.

Timedog said:
I think my Chun is better than my Ryu in some matchups, and I don't even know how to play Chun or how to do any combos. Dat normals.
Once in the vanilla days I played in a local tourney and placed higher with Chun than I ever did with my main Abel, and I played her for like a day tops by that point. Awesome pokes.

cHaotix8

pirateben said:
I disagree. Akuma is supposed to be low health, high damage/stun potential. Compared to other similar characters (like Ibuki) who also have great mix-up potential, but also have slightly higher health, his stun is slightly too low in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying his stun should have been massively buffed. Just feel it should have been slightly improved (if not necessarily to Vanilla levels across the board) on a couple of moves, for example crouching sweep.

Akuma has solid footsies, fastest walk speed, and a good zoning and runaway game to compensate. Comboable ultra too? Top 5 easily.

Satyamdas said:
Yeah I reallllllllllllllllly doubt Capcom sits around in their offices trolling SRK and catering their game changes to the whiniest moaning crybabies on a messageboard. I can understand disagreeing with the direction they are going in or specific changes, but if you think they are catering an ARCADE release to a bunch of whiny forumgoers, I find that incredibly naive and shortsighted, if not outright stupid.

Strangely enough, I made a post on SRK asking for the st. RH buff on Dudley to add 3 more frames of block stun. Wish granted. :lol

hitsugi

Timedog said:
What? How come no one uses that shit?

because in it's current state it whiffs on all crouching characters and some standing ones....

U2 even whiffs on a few characters after focus crumple so yeah, that's why.

Timedog said:
Wakeup doesn't only consist of safejump setups.

feel free to find me a video where an Adon player has to block on a majority his wake ups. it doesn't happen

Mike M

Nick N
I've been out of the loop and didn't even know that the AE balance changes were being posted. Is there a list somewhere of everything prior to this latest batch with Dhalsim et. al.?

hitsugi

FindMyFarms said:
Capcom's balancing the game for the average, outspoken player because that's the audience that has gotten them the success they currently have. Thats why the "annoying" things that kill scrubs (like seth jump fierce, gief vortex, etc.) have been taking out of the game. This is also by no means my own personal opinion, no further comment.

this is also what happens with MMOs... or WoW, at least. gotta please the majority of your money.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
hitsugi said:
I think most of you saying Adon is going to be so amazing are forgetting that Adon is currently.. basically unapproachable on wake up most of the time. That is huge.

...the c.mp frame advantage buff is a little nuts though. so much for hitting him with demon in between c.mp -> jag kick

Totally agree, as a Dudley player Adon is a nightmare on wakeup, I just tend to avoid it! His speed also makes simple crossups extremely hard to handle. If he gets stronger its not going to be pretty...

Oh, by the way pad warriors, the Neo Geo Pad USB was released recently and it is legit. Works perfectly using the Controller Type B option from the in-game button config layout.
PS3 only at the moment though.

Wiseblade

DarkoMaledictus said:
Totally agree, as a Dudley player Adon is a nightmare on wakeup, I just tend to avoid it! His speed also makes simple crossups extremely hard to handle. If he gets stronger its not going to be pretty...
You do realise the point he's making is that the buffs Adon's getting are to compensate for his wakeup being brought in line with the rest? Now everyone can do their tried and true safe jumps and wakeup shenanigans on him.

Degen

_dementia said:
Oh, by the way pad warriors, the Neo Geo Pad USB was released recently and it is legit. Works perfectly using the Controller Type B option from the in-game button config layout.
PS3 only at the moment though.
But can it compare to the HORI FIGHTING COMMANDER 3™?

hitsugi

oh, right - akuma can also combo his U2 from a c.mp but I think it's a 1 framer so you have to be quick (mashy) about it. Perhaps this means c.lk, c.lp, c.mp -> U2 will work on crouchers as well now. Looking forward to all of the new punishes and possibilities with U2 :D I know eita is as well (that guy used it to dodge another akumas ex air fireball and nail him mid air)

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Regardless of maybe half of my favorite characters getting some important tools toned down, I'm still hyped for AE, even when it'll mostly be off-screen vids - I'm looking forward to playing Yang regardless of how good or bad he'll be like any other character I play with, and just seeing how the new combos and punishes will play out instead of just theorizing it on paper.

I just hope that regardless of MvC3's release date, the AE update will come soon - since the Achievements are done and are on a console, it's either ready to go or purposely held back - Achievements showing have usually indicated that the game is practically done.

Don't make me wait Capcom, I can play both.

Is anybody here not going to play Marvel 3? I'm so ready for Shuma Wesker it's not even funny.

hitsugi said:
Perhaps this means c.lk, c.lp, c.mp -> U2 will work on crouchers as well now.

I just realized how fucked up it is that Akuma can combo Ultra off of a c.LK :lol

Rocwell

Yoshichan said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-wrAwgpAyE&feature=sub

The Excellent Adventures of Gootecks & Mike Ross Season 2 Ep. 4: EXCALIBUR! (SSF4 Gameplay)

:D:D:D:D
14alxu8.jpg

:lol

Degen

God's Beard said:
Is anybody here not going to play Marvel 3? I'm so ready for Shuma Wesker it's not even funny.
No T. Hawk or 8-bit Megaman, no deal.

maaaan of course we will :lol

AZ Greg

FindMyFarms said:

Eh, I'm not seeing this. I think most people would agree that there are 2 groups responsible for SF4's success, at least in America. The people who bought SF4 due to the hype and promise of a return to SF2 form and the communities who are keeping interest in local gatherings, organizing tournaments, and streaming events. With regards to the former group, I think the ship has sailed on making money from them. A good number of them lost interest in SF4 and didn't make the jump to SSF4 and I'm sure the same thing will happen with the jump to AE. As annoying as Seth's j.Fierce might have been for some of those players, I really doubt nerfing it (Combined with nerfing the other "annoying" things) is going to get them back on board. Those people were done as soon as people started expecting/dealing with flowchart Ken, for example. With regards to the latter group, I think I've seen more dislike of the changes since they will undoubtedly make the game even more defensive (Plus virtually everybody's main caught a head-scratching nerf :lol). At this point in time, disappointing these people is the last thing Capcom wants since they are the ones who will keep the SF name out there, buy accessories, hype the next game, etc... I think I'd buy the catering to "scrubs" thing more if these were the changes from SF4 to SSF4 and there was still a chance at salvaging some of the people who bought SF4 due to nostalgia but were turned off by things they couldn't deal with.

And let's not forget that this is an arcade release. Unless the same "scrub" complaints are taking place on 2ch or somewhere among arcade goers then I doubt Capcom balanced AE for that. Then you have to take into account the eventual delivery method to console gamers. Who knows what will happen, but a lot of people think (hope?) Capcom will release the AE changes as a free update and then charge for the new characters. And if they end up releasing the changes free of charge then there was no need to cater to the complainers. Unless Capcom thinks these changes will satisfy the "scrubs" enough that they'll pay for the new characters or new costumes. Seems kinda shortsighted IMO.

My two cents, even as a person who feels their main was hit with a nerf that wasn't needed, Capcom wants to eliminate autopilot as much as possible. And while players will always find and overuse a character's best tools, I'm sure Capcom hated seeing so many things forgone by players in order to get in and TKCS pressure/mixups, for example. Or watching a Seth j.Fierce 3 times in a row against a charge character. Regardless of how easy that stuff may be to deal with.

Who knows how it will turn out. Could be good or could be bad. I just think this "Capcom balances to the scrubs" mentality that has grown in popularity since AE changes started leaking out is wrong. Doesn't make sense from a game quality or business standpoint (At this point in SF4's lifespan). But I don't have dat insider info.

hitsugi

God's Beard said:
I just realized how fucked up it is that Akuma can combo Ultra off of a c.LK :lol
It hardly does any damage.. but still with all of the mix ups and potentially new ways of combing into it, U2 should become the ultra of choice for most match ups now

God's Beard said:

I can't imagine somebody won't touch Marvel, at the very least for fun. I personally can't wait to try a ton of teams.

SpiderMan-Magneto-X23-Iron Man look great :D

It's going to be a struggle though, not a huge TvC scene here and I'm ass at Marvel 2.

Re: AE

Those Bison changes... not that I play him or anything, but they're "huh"-worthy. Maybe I don't understand them because I play an Ivory Tower character, but I never found his stuff overwhelming.

Scissor strings were annoying, but he has terrible comeback potential and BnB damage. PP gave him some dynamic by being motion, sucks that it is confirmed to be charge. And I still think the corner SHOULD be a bad spot to be in when you're playing against Bison - why nerf both st rh and scissor pressure?

Maybe I should play Makoto for a bit to understand it better :p

_dementia said:
Ryu is like that. Just do something, then do something afterwards, and chances are they combo.

I wish Dudley was like that, you have to actually know what goes after what to keep it going :-(

I wanna juggle with short swing blow and target combos.

cHaotix8

The only nerf I understand with Bison is the st. RH hitbox change. As a Dudley player, that shit is annoying; especially when you can just spam it. The rest is pretty dumb in my opinion.

AZ Greg said:
Eh, I'm not seeing this.

It's true though.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Wiseblade said:
You do realise the point he's making is that the buffs Adon's getting are to compensate for his wakeup being brought in line with the rest? Now everyone can do their tried and true safe jumps and wakeup shenanigans on him.

Didn't check his buff notes, assumed he was saying it would be even worst than it is now... if his wakeup gets put in line with the rest its all good!

AZ Greg

cHaotix8 said:
It's true though.

Hopefully that's not coming from the same DTX source that said Bison LK Scissors would be -1 on block or some of the other stuff that was discussed and didn't end up happening. ;)

Really curious of Andre's, OCR, and Gaf's DBJ's opinion on Bison. I was so happy about the cross up and bigger hitbox of the PC, Better AA of the St. HK, and loved the 2xQCF ultra when I got super. I honestly was hoping for something like cr. HP would be a better Anti Air.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
cG0CF.jpg

KJfz6.jpg

BcUjo.jpg

Prototype shirts by Shadowloo not in production yet. Since Tokido signed that shirt contract, I'm guessing that making these shirts will violate his contract terms.

Mago and Tokido benchpressing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p6KxaF9wMQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LEb6ib6id0

Aftermath of the Taiwan battles. For punishment, all the losers had to eat surstromming (Swedish rotten fish). Pretty funny how they're treating it as hazardous waste with a respectful distance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TBedNdOQfU

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Heh, after the Gawker commotion, I realized it's pretty dumb to use the same username everywhere. It wouldn't matter all that much except I'm trying to keep my online presence and professional medical career somewhat separate. Besides, this is a nice tribute to Nujabes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom