• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

esbern

whats the word of Ibuki in AE? Is she more well rounded?

That character always just seemed not well designed...like 600 moves and 3 of them are good.

esbern said:
whats the word of Ibuki in AE? Is she more well rounded?

That character always just seemed not well designed...like 600 moves and 3 of them are good.

I remember seeing she got a good number of stun and damage nerfs. I don't remember any buffs.

USD

Choco Blanka and Momochi started up an English blog:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/momochocotetra/

prodystopian said:
I remember seeing she got a good number of stun and damage nerfs. I don't remember any buffs.
Her main buff is a faster knee/st.MK, which makes some of her BnB links easier to do. They cut her damage and stun slightly, along with a few other minor nerfs, but she's still a very deadly character, and one of the more popular ones in Japan.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
USD said:
but she's still a very deadly character, and one of the more popular ones in Japan.

That's a false statement, she's not a popular character in terms of her being played. She ranks right alongside Honda and Dudley in that respect. FWIW 2% of players use her... 1.9% use Dudley and 1.8% use Honda. Ryu and Ken are still the most played characters in the game right now.

USD

Oichi said:
That's a false statement, she's not a popular character in terms of her being played. She ranks right alongside Honda and Dudley in that respect. FWIW 2% of players use her... 1.9% use Dudley and 1.8% use Honda. Ryu and Ken are still the most played characters in the game right now.
I didn't mean imply she was that high, but yeah, I think I was confusing multiple things I've read (which said she was one of the more powerful characters relative to her usage), though that was pretty old.

Threi

notag
for the first time since i got the game, my xbl winrate finally dipped under 50%.

guess all those 30+ game losing streaks finally caught up with me.

Ultimate Master rank
1. Mago (Fei) 54,657 BP (Win Rate 83.87%) Ultimate Master rank

Grand Master rank
2. Daigo (Yun) 54,169 BP (Win Rate 84.87%) Grand Master rank

Master rank
3. Nemo (Yang) 41,231 BP (Win Rate 79.35%)
4. Tokido (Akuma) 39,455 BP (Win Rate 83.96%)
5. Hachigashirasan (Yun) 38,459 BP (Win Rate 80.29%)
6. wa75842 (Makoto) 38,107 BP
7. Kindevu (Yun) 38,091 BP (Win Rate 84.54%)
8. Michaeltan (Ken) 37,294 BP (Win Rate 89.21%)
9. Momochi (Makoto) 37,099 BP (Win Rate 82.24%)
10. Amiyu (Gen) 37,088 BP (Win Rate 86.59%)

The rest of the top 20 are at Versus City.

http://www.versuscity.net/2011/01/17/super-street-fighter-4-ae-power-players-4/

Also, usage chart

Character Usage Charts
1. Ryu 9.8%
2. Ken 7%
3. Akuma 5.1%
4. Yun 4.4%
5. Sagat 4.2%
6. Chun 3.9%
7. Juri 3.9%
8. Zangief 3.7%
9. Boxer 3.6%
10. Sakura 3.1%

Rest of the characters at the link.

Man these guys really love those titles. Mago and Daigo within 1% of each other fighting for their lives, the US has no chance.

I understand that the reason Daigo started SF4 was because he's obsessive about BP and shit but damn.

hitsugi

Conceited said:
Mago and Daigo are really starting to leave the others behind.

Funny that a Ken and Sakura have the highest win %'s.
Yeah they are straight up grinding.. Wonder if any enjoyment is coming of it

jman2050

marathonfool said:
Ultimate Master rank

Grand Master rank

Master rank

2q9bd61.gif

Joekage said:
But I got third.... Haha good stuff to FMF. you played well. Bodied me in winners finals, that perfect stung. Oh well. Just means I gotta get better. ^_^
Farms still winning tournies down there in Texass? Man, when you all come over here, I'm going to have so much food. ^_^

SmokeMaxX

Conceited said:
It's amazing how many Honda's get to 10k+ BP by spamming butt stomp.
Butt slam is stupid as hell. The MOST punishable one is -3 (unless I'm lucky enough to get the second hit to whiff). The move hits twice so even if I block one sumo splash and expect the next one, if I focus it, I get hit. And if I reaction focus it, about 80% of the time I can only charge up enough to level 1 focus and when I dash in, I can't put any pressure because I'm at frame disadvantage.

I know there's something stupid about the move that I'm missing, but I always am forced to block that second hit of the splash making it nearly safe and every time I try to focus it, I can't get crumple.

Why don't you just dash under the stomp? Or reversal? Or back jump? Or crouch taunt? It's not like it's a particularly fast move.

Sure you might not always be able to punish after blocking, but you're still at frame advantage and can start a mix up opportunity.

This game would be stupid as hell if you could just get free combos after every block. Applying options is the fundamental essence of the game. Some moves take some away and give you others, that's the whole point.

V_Arnold

hitsugi said:
Yeah they are straight up grinding.. Wonder if any enjoyment is coming of it

For them, yes. Do not try to delude yourself with thinking that if you might not like playing that much SSFIV AE, others would not also ;)

SmokeMaxX

God's Beard said:
Why don't you just dash under the stomp? Or reversal? Or back jump? Or crouch taunt? It's not like it's a particularly fast move.

Sure you might not always be able to punish after blocking, but you're still at frame advantage and can start a mix up opportunity.

This game would be stupid as hell if you could just get free combos after every block. Applying options is the fundamental essence of the game. Some moves take some away and give you others, that's the whole point.
Can't backdash because I'm still in blockstun from the move going up. Not sure how Dictator's reversals would fair against it, but I'd imagine ex-PC would get eaten up alive since it seems to lose to anything hitting above it. Ex-SK would whiff and probably get punished since Honda recovers fast from butt slam. The other ones would pretty much lead to getting killed. I could probably back jump, but that defeats the purpose. Yeah, I run away from Honda, but what stops him from spamming that move? Trying to stuff it as it goes up fails since it has invincibility on the way up.

And yes I COULD try to pressure Honda after blocking, but that often leads to another A) buttslam with invincibility on the way up or B) ex-headbutt which would then do counterhit damage so... ~220-250 damage?

Not saying I wouldn't pressure him after a buttslam, but it's not exactly in my favor when Honda spams a special move and I get either unguaranteed pressure or I eat over 200 damage.

I'm not asking to be able to punish everything on block. That'd be a stupid way to generalize my argument. Honda already gets a reversal with a billion frames of invincibility, 200 damage, and is unpunishable by 80% of the cast. Does he need another move that's extremely difficult to punish unless the second hit whiffs (and what are the conditions for the second hit to even whiff?). I mean, look at Blanka. All of his stuff except electricity is unsafe and it's not like pianoing electricity is as easy as Honda's jab-hands or Chun's cr. lk-EX Legs.

marathonfool said:
Ultimate Master rank

Grand Master rank

Master rank

The rest of the top 20 are at Versus City.

http://www.versuscity.net/2011/01/17/super-street-fighter-4-ae-power-players-4/

Also, usage chart

Character Usage Charts
1. Ryu 9.8%
2. Ken 7%
3. Akuma 5.1%
4. Yun 4.4%
5. Sagat 4.2%
6. Chun 3.9%
7. Juri 3.9%
8. Zangief 3.7%
9. Boxer 3.6%
10. Sakura 3.1%

Rest of the characters at the link.

fei is the ideal top tier if he's 20th in terms of popularity.

Satyamdas

Banned
SmokeMaxX said:
Can't backdash because I'm still in blockstun from the move going up. Not sure how Dictator's reversals would fair against it, but I'd imagine ex-PC would get eaten up alive since it seems to lose to anything hitting above it. Ex-SK would whiff and probably get punished since Honda recovers fast from butt slam. The other ones would pretty much lead to getting killed. I could probably back jump, but that defeats the purpose. Yeah, I run away from Honda, but what stops him from spamming that move? Trying to stuff it as it goes up fails since it has invincibility on the way up.

And yes I COULD try to pressure Honda after blocking, but that often leads to another A) buttslam with invincibility on the way up or B) ex-headbutt which would then do counterhit damage so... ~220-250 damage?

Not saying I wouldn't pressure him after a buttslam, but it's not exactly in my favor when Honda spams a special move and I get either unguaranteed pressure or I eat over 200 damage.

I'm not asking to be able to punish everything on block. That'd be a stupid way to generalize my argument. Honda already gets a reversal with a billion frames of invincibility, 200 damage, and is unpunishable by 80% of the cast. Does he need another move that's extremely difficult to punish unless the second hit whiffs (and what are the conditions for the second hit to even whiff?). I mean, look at Blanka. All of his stuff except electricity is unsafe and it's not like pianoing electricity is as easy as Honda's jab-hands or Chun's cr. lk-EX Legs.
The 2-hit move you are describing is EX Buttslam which obviously costs Honda a bar, so I'd say meter limits would stop him from spamming it over and over. And Hondas who spam regular versions are easily dealt with anyway. I also think you are overestimating the move as far as locking down and being unpunishable. A stock of super seems to be a fair price for the move you are describing.

I mean if we're going to do the "compare unsafe moves game", your boy Bison is not gonna come out of it looking too good. Why should Bison have safe scissors AND safe pc, neither of which even cost a bar to be safe? Not to mention his headstomp followup that can crossup and fuck up counters to it? And does Bison have anything in his arsenal that is as difficult execution-wise as pianoing hands? I guess I don't see why difficulty of execution should have anything to do with how safe or unsafe a move is.

hitsugi

V_Arnold said:
For them, yes. Do not try to delude yourself with thinking that if you might not like playing that much SSFIV AE, others would not also ;)

I've been playing my share of AE since it was released, and I occasionally feel bored with Yun so far D: Yang not so much, and I may be going back to Guy as a main.

LakeEarth

I feel so bad for Haunts right now. The grand finals goes down to a last match, last round showdown and the software wouldn't switch from camera view to game view. Worst timing ever.

hitsugi

They suffered enough this weekend D: haven't there been issues just about every other time a tournament has been streamed via hotel internet?

this one was particularly bad, but it had it's up moments

LakeEarth

Well there's always the Evo2k10 finals crash. Horrible timing on the biggest match of the year, but it wasn't too bad because you could tell from the first few rounds that Daigo was not going to let it slip.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

esbern

sigh the capcom balance team just can't get it right. add 10 characters to ssfiv and they're all garbage except adon who was glitched and maybe ibuki, then they add 2 characters to AE and they're absurdly overpowered :\....all of the AE videos just arent fun to watch

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
esbern said:
sigh the capcom balance team just can't get it right. add 10 characters to ssfiv and they're all garbage except adon who was glitched and maybe ibuki, then they add 2 characters to AE and they're absurdly overpowered :\....all of the AE videos just arent fun to watch
ehh

i dont think balance is the game's biggest issue its pretty balanced and im not seeing Yun/Yang's overpowering at all so far, they're good but not broken.

Chavelo

esbern said:

esbern said:

You should prolly pick up another
twitchy
game, guy. Looks like your hate is not gonna let you play in peace.

esbern said:

Wow, I don't know what to say to this. The game's been out for like a month for people that can access it, with no training mode or frame data and you say that yun and yang are overpowered? Even when people whose mains got nerfed have been saying the game is overall more balanced than super?

Out of all the new characters in super, the only one that was really straight up garbage was probably Hakan, and they gave him a lot of buffs. And most of the other new characters. I think people should quit whining until someone actually knows how to play the new game. And once that happens Anyone still whining should probably just quit.

I play Twelve in 3s. Let's be real now. It's harder to beat mid tier 3s characters with Twelve than it is to beat Vanilla Sagat with Dan.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
V-Ryu said on SRK that someone got up to 16 reps with her FA loop. So if it's this new and people are already able to do it that many times, I guess it isn't prohibitively difficult like a lot of infinites are.

Wonder how they're gonna nerf her. Maybe make her FA a couple frames slower or something.

I know I'm always talking about how Jojo or 3s are better games than SF4, but I'll give credit where credit's due. People always give the game crap for trying to play easier with the shortcuts and ultra combos, but the real reason the game is easier nobody ever talks about even though everyone uses it.

Hit confirms and block strings with normals are way more important in this game than they ever were in previous Street Fighters. It's handled really well in that comboing into specials is much easier, but because of the increased damage scaling, isn't overpowering. Furthermore, because of plinking and wider input windows, even 1 frame links are more than accessible to intermediate players.

The other thing SF4 does really well is the way it balanced super meters. Clearly defined, universal stocks with 3 levels of meter usage make meter management more integral and visible for all players. In earlier games, meter was either too ambiguous or too simple to become such a central mechanic that can be the key factor in most matches.

Sure, I can't stand the ultra system, I think focus attacks are too esoteric a mechanic and the game speed is really slow, but I'll admit that SF4 has done a lot to advance Street Fighter. If they continue along this path, Street Fighter 5 will probably be as close to perfect for this style of game as anyone could agree on.

marathonfool said:
http://blog.livedoor.jp/momochocotetra/

Makoto is a beast in AE. This is like Vanilla Guile -> Super Guile.

I can almost guarantee you that Hakan has similar loops now that he can dash and use normals at the same time like in jojo's bizarre adventure when he's oiled up. Especially with the way SF4 handles normals compared to almost every 2d fighting game.

Lost Fragment said:
V-Ryu said on SRK that someone got up to 16 reps with her FA loop. So if it's this new and people are already able to do it that many times, I guess it isn't prohibitively difficult like a lot of infinites are.

Wonder how they're gonna nerf her. Maybe make her FA a couple frames slower or something.

Why nerf it at all? They're focus attacks, so it might as well do no damage after the 3rd hit. I guess it could be used to time out if it's really an infinite, but it remains to be seen if that's feasible. 16 reps, though...

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
God's Beard said:
Why nerf it at all? They're focus attacks, so it might as well do no damage after the 3rd hit. I guess it could be used to time out if it's really an infinite, but it remains to be seen if that's feasible. 16 reps, though...

Word is that it doesn't do a lot of damage because of scaling, but you could trap people in it and run the timer down, which seems reasonable if people are already able to do loop it that many times. Plus you could use it to take dudes from one side of the screen all the way to the other corner.

If it was like a 1-frame link or something, I'd just leave it because it wouldn't be an infinite in a practical sense unless you're a robot. But yeah, seems like it's relatively easy to pull off and probably needs to be addressed.

from wikipedia: "[Bruce]Lee's striking speed from three feet with his hands down by his side reached five hundredths of a second."

This is literally a 3-frame jab. Fei Long is more accurate than you know.

SmokeMaxX

Satyamdas said:
The 2-hit move you are describing is EX Buttslam which obviously costs Honda a bar, so I'd say meter limits would stop him from spamming it over and over. And Hondas who spam regular versions are easily dealt with anyway. I also think you are overestimating the move as far as locking down and being unpunishable. A stock of super seems to be a fair price for the move you are describing.

I mean if we're going to do the "compare unsafe moves game", your boy Bison is not gonna come out of it looking too good. Why should Bison have safe scissors AND safe pc, neither of which even cost a bar to be safe? Not to mention his headstomp followup that can crossup and fuck up counters to it? And does Bison have anything in his arsenal that is as difficult execution-wise as pianoing hands? I guess I don't see why difficulty of execution should have anything to do with how safe or unsafe a move is.
Honestly if only ex-buttslam hits twice, then I didn't know that. All I know is that I'm tired of trying to focus it when I know it's coming and getting hit twice by the move. Also, it is unpunishable by 90% of the cast. It's -2 unless you choose to do the most unsafe version (-3) and there's really no point in doing that.

Bison does have safe lk scissors. It's pretty good, but it's not super amazing. At least if someone tries to randomly throw it out, it's easily stuffed. It doesn't have startup invincibility like buttslam or lp headbutt. It IS completely safe, though. But it doesn't do a lot of damage anyway.

Safe PC without meter? Let's not even talk about how shitty regular PC is. Let me know when anyone decent does regular PC without a setup for it. The headstomp followup is very situational, can be focused or evaded, and can usually just be stuffed by jump back roundhouse.

And pianoing hands with Honda isn't hard at all. Considering risk vs. reward, I'd much rather have Honda hands than Bison cr. short pressure. Honda jab-HHS-Super does ~500 damage. Bison's main B&B (cr. lk, cr. lk, cr. lk xx scissors) does less damage than his throw.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
God's Beard said:
from wikipedia: "[Bruce]Lee's striking speed from three feet with his hands down by his side reached five hundredths of a second."

This is literally a 3-frame jab. Fei Long is more accurate than you know.
footsie lp rekka1

shit just hits you by surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom