• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 SCRUB Thread of Fresh Meaty Goodness

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Kadey said:
PSN people. Do you guys want your own tournament? If I get at least 24 heads, that's good enough to run one.
Will this be the scrub tourney or the same one as the PS3 random select tourney? Either way though, I'm down for both. Just do a major roll call if you wanna do PSN scrub gaf tourney as well.

edit: Is PSN acting up for anyone else? I got dns error and booted. :/
Trying to sing back in now but keep getting error. fuuuuuuuck.

Doorman

I didn't have any problems with PSN tonight, nothing that wasn't typical anyway.

Anyway, uh, nice matches tonight everyone? I don't know if I've ever encountered a game that's more discouraging when it comes to trying to improve, but at least I don't take it personally. I think part of the issue is that some of the scrubs have played so much now that they've ascended beyond true scrub territory. :lol Nothing to do but keep at it, I suppose.

Gyrian

Doorman said:
Anyway, uh, nice matches tonight everyone? I don't know if I've ever encountered a game that's more discouraging when it comes to trying to improve, but at least I don't take it personally. I think part of the issue is that some of the scrubs have played so much now that they've ascended beyond true scrub territory. :lol Nothing to do but keep at it, I suppose.

We've all been through this, and quite a few still there (I include myself in this).
SFIV and SSFIV are so conducive to a love-hate relationship, it's amazing.

You've got the right mindset, Doorman. It can be pretty crushing, but also rewarding at the same time.
When you're soundly defeated, there's always something to learn from it so that you can't be had the same way next time.
Keep at it as long as you ultimately find it fun.

And I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but join in non-scrub GAF every once in a while.
It's a trial by fire, but you're sure to pick up a lot. The crowd there is class all the way, too.

micrometaru.gif

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Kaako said:
Will this be the scrub tourney or the same one as the PS3 random select tourney? Either way though, I'm down for both. Just do a major roll call if you wanna do PSN scrub gaf tourney as well.

edit: Is PSN acting up for anyone else? I got dns error and booted. :/
Trying to sing back in now but keep getting error. fuuuuuuuck.

It's separate from the random tournament. There will be a secret boss. :D

NeoUltima

GGs Kaako...that was nuts. Can't believe we played that long.

I gotta stop jumping/sliding into focus attacks :lol I had stopped ssf4 for 2 weeks to play rdr. I thought a break would be good, but now all my bad habits are back :(.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Kadey said:
It's separate from the random tournament. There will be a secret boss. :D
Secret boss is none other than Diego Umehuarez isn't it? :O

Also, ggs scrub gaf. Played a shit ton tonight. Especially with Neo! Pretty sexy Guy mayng. I hate those damn air grabs haha.
Edit:
NeoUltima said:
GGs Kaako...that was nuts. Can't believe we played that long.

I gotta stop jumping/sliding into focus attacks :lol I had stopped ssf4 for 2 weeks to play rdr. I thought a break would be good, but now all my bad habits are back :(.
I came back after 2 months of none play and almost everyone in scrub gaf walks over me now. :/
That was maaaad fun though man. I freaking have a headache now from playing too much ssf4.

Tonza

Got back to the game after 2 months break and realized I still suck. :lol

I did go back to Ryu though since it seems the only character I can get occasional wins. Cammy and Fei Long seem pretty good (for me) too but atleast for Fei Long the chicken wings input gives me headache. (much more wrong inputs than the normal quarter circle stuff)

Anyways, Im always up for some scrub games if Im playing SSFVI. (PSN, Europe) I've been only playing ranked really and getting my ass kicked. The endless battles don't have the same skill level option which is why I don't like playing them with randoms.

Doorman

Gyrian said:
And I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but join in non-scrub GAF every once in a while.
It's a trial by fire, but you're sure to pick up a lot. The crowd there is class all the way, too.
Huh, really? I mean I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just I was under the impression that super low-level play was kind of looked down upon by the more competitive side of GAF fighters. Wasn't that part of the reason why this scrubs group was started to begin with?

And Tonza...what the hell is a "chicken wings" input? :lol

Gyrian

Doorman said:
Huh, really? I mean I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just I was under the impression that super low-level play was kind of looked down upon by the more competitive side of GAF fighters. Wasn't that part of the reason why this scrubs group was started to begin with?

And Tonza...what the hell is a "chicken wings" input? :lol

My experience there has been entirely positive.

Competition is strong, but the mentality isn't get out of the way, I've got a real fight to mind.
It's a shame, because in a way we're splitting the community in two. Doesn't mean that you may want to spend the majority of your time at the other channel, but the other extreme where we never mingle with them isn't great, either. There's much fun to be had, and knowledge to pick up on.

The chicken wing input is B, DB, D, DF, F, UF + P or K depending on your character.

micrometaru.gif

Tonza

Gyrian said:
The chicken wing input is B, DB, D, DF, F, UF + P or K depending on your character.

Yeah, I just usually end up jumping or throwing normal punch/kick when I do that. :lol

Also doesn't it begin with DB not B?

Gyrian

Tonza said:
Yeah, I just usually end up jumping or throwing normal punch/kick when I do that. :lol

Also doesn't it begin with DB not B?

B according to Event Hubs; incidentally, this is also a great resource to get started with a new character, or learn something new about your main.

micrometaru.gif

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Kaako said:
Secret boss is none other than Diego Umehuarez isn't it? :O

I was actually going to do that for the Xbox tourney but things never go as planned.

Yeah. I need at least a 24 head count for this specific tourney. You can thank Flek for giving me the idea.

LosDaddie

Banned
kafka rock opera said:
Figure id throw my name onto the list.

GamerTag: KafkaRock

I should be playing for most of the night trying to get a handle on things.

I'll be online later....maybe around 11pm EDT

Acid08

Banned
Kadey said:
PSN people. Do you guys want your own tournament? If I get at least 24 heads, that's good enough to run one.
Would love one.

Also anyone down for some games? PSN is Acid08.

Tonza

Is the scrub PSN chat still in use? I was there a moment ago but no one else was on. :(

I'd like to play with some other scrubs so I don't have to do ranked all the time.

Don't know if I'll be on today since I just played for a bit but probably tomorrow. (EU timezones)

Flek

Banned
Tonza said:
Is the scrub PSN chat still in use? I was there a moment ago but no one else was on. :(

I'd like to play with some other scrubs so I don't have to do ranked all the time.

Don't know if I'll be on today since I just played for a bit but probably tomorrow. (EU timezones)

what sure its there and kaka (probably spelled wrong) is in there … i was in there too. And got my ass kicked a lot :(

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Flek said:
what sure its there and kaka (probably spelled wrong) is in there … i was in there too. And got my ass kicked a lot :(
GGs Flek, real fun matches. :)
Tried to play with some regulars as well but PSN went apeshit on me and disconnected. I'll try to get on later tonight as well to play hopefully with you guys. What I was trying to say in the chat is that I usually play by feel. I mostly go by my guts and reaction which I know is not ideal in most cases. But it pays off at times I guess. Keep reppin' that Ibuki though, she's a real solid character.

Flek

Banned
Kaako said:
GGs Flek, real fun matches. :)
Tried to play with some regulars as well but PSN went apeshit on me and disconnected. I'll try to get on later tonight as well to play hopefully with you guys. What I was trying to say in the chat is that I usually play by feel. I mostly go by my guts and reaction which I know is not ideal in most cases. But it pays off at times I guess. Keep reppin' that Ibuki though, she's a real solid character.

yeha ggs man i whas nearly smashing my freaking arcade stick when i kept on loosing against you though :lol

Arol

Should I just add people from the first post for PSN users to play with?

I got the game just a bit ago but didnt really play because I assumed I was going to play with my RL friends. They moved on fairly quickly after I was the only one that actually bought it so I decided to join scrub gaf to at least get the most out of my SSFIV experience.

My PSN is Arolisci.

Bare in mind I don't really play fighters in general, so some tips in the right direction would be appreciated.

Doorman

Arol said:
Should I just add people from the first post for PSN users to play with?

I got the game just a bit ago but didnt really play because I assumed I was going to play with my RL friends. They moved on fairly quickly after I was the only one that actually bought it so I decided to join scrub gaf to at least get the most out of my SSFIV experience.

My PSN is Arolisci.

Bare in mind I don't really play fighters in general, so some tips in the right direction would be appreciated.

Tip #1: Use Ken!

Just kidding. I'm hardly in any position to give advice about this game (as anybody here that's played against me can probably attest to), but the general recommendation seems to be to start by just focusing on getting some tools down for one or maybe two characters. I would add to that by saying try to think about what sort of style you might prefer to fight with and figure out which character(s) are well suited for that.

As for getting into the scrub chat, it's as simple as adding one of the people already in, and they should be able to give you an invite. Since there seem to be several new PSN folks wanting to get in lately, I could try and go on a little adding run tomorrow.

By the way, what times tend to be the busiest in terms of getting a decently-sized room together? Lately I've been getting on around 7pm EST or so but it seems that Dave and I are the only ones on then with any regularity. Should I be trying to make time later in the night, instead?

Arol

Doorman said:
Tip #1: Use Ken!

Just kidding. I'm hardly in any position to give advice about this game (as anybody here that's played against me can probably attest to), but the general recommendation seems to be to start by just focusing on getting some tools down for one or maybe two characters. I would add to that by saying try to think about what sort of style you might prefer to fight with and figure out which character(s) are well suited for that.

As for getting into the scrub chat, it's as simple as adding one of the people already in, and they should be able to give you an invite. Since there seem to be several new PSN folks wanting to get in lately, I could try and go on a little adding run tomorrow.

By the way, what times tend to be the busiest in terms of getting a decently-sized room together? Lately I've been getting on around 7pm EST or so but it seems that Dave and I are the only ones on then with any regularity. Should I be trying to make time later in the night, instead?

Haha thanks.

How does the ranking system even work in this game? I keep playing against people with thousands of points. I finally managed to win won one match after 20-25 losses.

I'll be playing more tonight for sure, just have to go run random errands for an 30-60minutes.

Gyrian

Acid08 said:
Good games everyone I played with! I love playing you Gyrian :lol

We had a pretty good session there!
I was scared to death that I'd forgotten how to deal with Ken, since I've been well away from ranked.
Seems like no one in GAF chat is picking him, except Panda in troll mode. XD

Blanka gives me massive problems with Makoto, I really feel her limited range in this match.
Very hard to get in.

We need to get you in the chat, Acid. You were missing all the chatter! :]

micrometaru.gif

Flek

Banned
hey guys im in the psn chat and waiting for some players - so if anyone wnts to play some rounds come join me :)

Doorman

Good games tonight Arol. It's kind of nice having someone closer to my actual level of skill to train with! :lol

I'm still so unsure about Guy...I like using him, and I've learned quite a few things in the last couple of days both about him and just getting my inputs right, but I'm having a hell of a time getting any of that to translate into actual matches. What good is knowing combos when you can't time it properly to get into them? I've considered replacing him with someone else to stand next to Honda as my pair of mains, but I have yet to find anybody else that's even remotely close in terms of how comfortable I feel using them. Between that debate and thinking that I'd be better with Honda if I had a stick instead of a pad, it's been quite a predicament lately!

Ploid 3.0

I need a link to scrub gaf. I tried to hang out with the normal ssf4 gafchat but I'm getting nowhere. I think I'll be scrub level for life.

Gyrian

Ploid 3.0 said:
I need a link to scrub gaf. I tried to hang out with the normal ssf4 gafchat but I'm getting nowhere. I think I'll be scrub level for life.

I'll sort you out tonight, Ploid. :]

micrometaru.gif

LosDaddie

Banned
ACE 1991 said:
Argh I need to buy this game on ps3, it seems like that's where most of the gaffers are at

I've been trying to get you guys to play.... :( :(

At least there's plenty of people playing on XBL

Xevren

LosDaddie said:
I've been trying to get you guys to play.... :( :(

At least there's plenty of people playing on XBL

I'll play with you sometime, was going to respond to your post yesterday but Burn Notice was on that night. Sending you a friend request.

Doorman

Hopefully I'll have a chance to get on later tonight, for both some training and some online matches. From some of the messages that have been getting posted lately, it seems like most of the best action and biggest rooms come around when I already have to be asleep. :lol

EDIT: And of course, after saying that, I don't manage to get on. Well, that's what happens when other people are already using the TV. :\

Tonza

umm.. yeah. Dave was clearly making fun of me today by picking same characters that I did and beating me always. :lol

Well, ggs anyway.

Top Bottom