• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D edition |OT| Lets take this outside!

TheOGB

Banned
Scarecrow said:
Got a quick question: Why do BPs go to zero with each new character I try online?
And another one: I remember when SF4 first came out and everyone was complaining about Ken users. Why him specifically instead of, say, Ryu?

Been playing online and have been having fun, despite me only winning like 2/5 games. Someone was clowning me pretty handily with Sakura earlier. Couldn't get a word in edge wise.
Ryu doesn't have a flaming uppercut

Scarecrow said:
And another one: I remember when SF4 first came out and everyone was complaining about Ken users. Why him specifically instead of, say, Ryu?

When the game first came out, he was the most popular opponent online.

Effect

TurtleSnatcher said:
Hold back? It is so easy to block in SF :p

Just keep holding back :D

Wouldn't that cause you to simply walk away from the enemy? Pressing down would cause you to crouch I think. I mean a button to press to allow you to block by standing still?

Does anyone else's hands hurt after playing a few rounds?
Got into a mach with a ryu (some dude named bk) and both rounds, he won first two and I won 3 in a row
we both quit, but I couldn't keep up anymore, had to take a break.
Just made a dhalsim quit in 3d mode, it was weird at first with his stretching limbs
I gave it to him HARDCORE with Ibuki's neck breakers and the BEASTLY lp>mp>DownHK>DownHK>Fjump>airHk>LowHK combo
Ibuki people know what I'm talking about

TheOGB

Banned
Effect said:
Wouldn't that cause you to simply walk away from the enemy? Pressing down would cause you to crouch I think. I mean a button to press to allow you to block by standing still?
If the enemy is attacking and you hold away from them, you will block (high).

Holding back while crouching (low) will block crouching attacks like sweep kicks.

taku

slopeslider said:
Does anyone else's hands hurt after playing a few rounds?
Definitely. That's what I get for only playing pro mode.. anyone else having a hard time using the touchscreen for low punch/kick?

Teknoman

taku said:
Definitely. That's what I get for only playing pro mode.. anyone else having a hard time using the touchscreen for low punch/kick?

I say use the touch screen for 3p and 3k on the right, then fill the two left spots with whatever.

I really dislike this game. Maybe it's because I grew up on Tekken, but I find the move selection extremely limited and the fighting to have no... flow. Glad I only rented it. I think DOA: Dimensions is more up my alley.

taku

Teknoman said:
I say use the touch screen for 3p and 3k on the right, then fill the two left spots with whatever.
I guess, but how do I make use of all the low/medium/high buttons then? :'(
Can I create custom controls for specific characters? If so, I could probably work it out by skipping a button or two depending on the character..

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
taku said:
I guess, but how do I make use of all the low/medium/high buttons then? :'(

Wat. Do what everyone's done since the dawn of console fighters, use the shoulder buttons.

taku

Tathanen said:
Wat. Do what everyone's done since the dawn of console fighters, use the shoulder buttons.
I really can't. I totally loathe using shoulder buttons for fighters :'(
(unless I'm using them for other commands like throw/focus which is working well at the moment)

Hooray.

Sitting at 2350PP and I have about 3200BP on my Cody. About 1100 on my Ryu.

For people who want to know

Battle Points = Individual Characters (Unique to each character you use)
Player Points = Total rating carried across all characters.

An easy way of looking at it is.. Player Points is your ''ladder" rating.

Battle Points is more of a character usage total.. Everyone will honestly hit 5000 Battle Points if they keep playing a bunch. The reason is because the game doesn't penalize you very much for losing until you get to 5000 (B Rating) on that character. But after you hit 5k then it begins to penalize a bit more for losing matches.

Hope that helps anyone who has questions about BP and PP.

MrCookiepants said:
I really dislike this game. Maybe it's because I grew up on Tekken, but I find the move selection extremely limited and the fighting to have no... flow. Glad I only rented it. I think DOA: Dimensions is more up my alley.

Seems like I jumped the shark a bit here.

I've just discovered dynamic view and I LOVE IT. Not only does it put the focus clearly on the fantastic character models (I thought they looked too small in standard mode) and away from the lacking environments, it's much more visually exciting and the 3D effect is increased.

This puts this version above the console iterations (which I could never really get into) for me. I'll be purchasing the game ASAP. Thank God. A 3DS game I want to play.

Also, Ibuki <3

I have to say that the challenge mode really sucks in this game. All I need is an option to see a computer do it first and I'd be fine. There's no indication as to when you need to input a move in order to link it to another move. How are you supposed to learn combos in this game?

Chairhome

Obsessed said:
I have to say that the challenge mode really sucks in this game. All I need is an option to see a computer do it first and I'd be fine. There's no indication as to when you need to input a move in order to link it to another move. How are you supposed to learn combos in this game?
its a terrible work around, but if you go on youtube, there are videos to show you how to do all the trials.

Bizzyb

Banned
slopeslider said:

6z7sqg.gif

BowieZ

Banned
Not sure if already posted but is it possible a SSFIV game update could add backdrop animations?

It doesn't really bother me, it's just... it's the only flaw worth mentioning IMHO if one were to criticize the port (lol I'm sure some will lol at that)

BowieZ said:
Not sure if already posted but is it possible a SSFIV game update could add backdrop animations?

It doesn't really bother me, it's just... it's the only flaw worth mentioning IMHO if one were to criticize the port (lol I'm sure some will lol at that)
A voice chat update is more likely. just add some voip code.
Or at least let me add people to Friends list when I play them online, like you could in Brawl

Sanic

Quick match gets me a match instantly. When I go to custom search and leave everything at default except for the filtering out of lite mode players, it never finds any matches and I have to wait 20-30 seconds for a player. Hmmmm.

Effect

Okay increasingly starting to dislike this game more and more. :( Even on the easiest difficulty things are to fast. I figured if I dropped it to that battles might be a bit more slower or less attacks would be thrown my way and I could get away with blocking more and being a bit more thoughtful in how I attacked. Yet even there the AI just throws attack after attack. I wonder if I'm even playing on the lowest difficulty a times. Then there is the difficulty jump when you get the last boss!! I've only fully gone through the game twice (with Ryu and Dee Jay) but even then it was mostly by button mashing and using the specials via lite controls. I wanted to be a bit more tactical in how I fought but the game doesn't seem to be design that way. :(

Online didn't go so well. Just had some guy as E.Honda doing his head butt move over and over again. I guess it's my fault for not adjusting my settings correctly. I figured the point of the lite controls were for you to pull off moves you aren't able to do but you'd still use normal attacks yourself. That's really how I've been using it. Using the short cuts when I see an opening as I find it boring to spam attacks. Guess others don't think the method of control should be used that way. I like the training room and the challenge mode, though this can be frustrating trying to pull off attacks after a point. Number #7 seems to be my dead end on characters. I like the dynamic camera angle, the animated scenes, character models, music, and characters. Just the act of playing the game is becoming far to frustrating.

God, I love this but I suck at the actual commands. I've gotten good at the quarter circles and competent at the zig zag things with the stick, but I can't do the back and then forward movements to save my life. I can't pull of a freakin' Psycho Crusher with M. Bison.
Anyone got any tips? This is my first Street Fighter game.

Teknoman

slopeslider said:
A voice chat update is more likely. just add some voip code.
Or at least let me add people to Friends list when I play them online, like you could in Brawl

Those two updates (especially the friend list compatibility) and fixing the Drive In USA stage music please.

M3d10n

BowieZ said:

*If* 3DS games can be updated/patched, I doubt Nintendo would allow something this radical to be in a patch (it would be huge).

Wait for the Arcade Edition.

Effect said:
Okay increasingly starting to dislike this game more and more. :( Even on the easiest difficulty things are to fast. I figured if I dropped it to that battles might be a bit more slower or less attacks would be thrown my way and I could get away with blocking more and being a bit more thoughtful in how I attacked. Yet even there the AI just throws attack after attack. I wonder if I'm even playing on the lowest difficulty a times. Then there is the difficulty jump when you get the last boss!! I've only fully gone through the game twice (with Ryu and Dee Jay) but even then it was mostly by button mashing and using the specials via lite controls. I wanted to be a bit more tactical in how I fought but the game doesn't seem to be design that way. :(

Online didn't go so well. Just had some guy as E.Honda doing his head butt move over and over again. I guess it's my fault for not adjusting my settings correctly. I figured the point of the lite controls were for you to pull off moves you aren't able to do but you'd still use normal attacks yourself. That's really how I've been using it. Using the short cuts when I see an opening as I find it boring to spam attacks. Guess others don't think the method of control should be used that way. I like the training room and the challenge mode, though this can be frustrating trying to pull off attacks after a point. Number #7 seems to be my dead end on characters. I like the dynamic camera angle, the animated scenes, character models, music, and characters. Just the act of playing the game is becoming far to frustrating.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0cFs5mHQC4
Carefully look through this. It's for 2, but 4 is closer to 2 than any other SF game. Shows what zoning is, and why you need it.
set some practice matches up and practice nailing the moves, but you have to find a character you LIKE in order to have the willpower to practice the inputs with it. I like Cammy and Ibuki, so that's who I'm good with.

Effect

slopeslider said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0cFs5mHQC4
Carefully look through this. It's for 2, but 4 is closer to 2 than any other SF game. Shows what zoning is, and why you need it.
set some practice matches up and practice nailing the moves, but you have to find a character you LIKE in order to have the willpower to practice the inputs with it. I like Cammy and Ibuki, so that's who I'm good with.

Thanks for the link. I'll take a look a the videos. Perhaps that's part of what I'm doing wrong. I haven't really picked a character and just focused on that.

Is there a breakdown of the characters in regard to which one are defensive, offensive, slow, fast, etc?

Effect said:
Thanks for the link. I'll take a look a the videos. Perhaps that's part of what I'm doing wrong. I haven't really picked a character and just focused on that.

Is there a breakdown of the characters in regard to which one are defensive, offensive, slow, fast, etc?
Eventhubs?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Pandoracell said:
Quick match gets me a match instantly. When I go to custom search and leave everything at default except for the filtering out of lite mode players, it never finds any matches and I have to wait 20-30 seconds for a player. Hmmmm.

I take 20-30 seconds just for quick match (Using lite controls). I wouldn't worry about it.

jlevel13

Inferno313 said:
God, I love this but I suck at the actual commands. I've gotten good at the quarter circles and competent at the zig zag things with the stick, but I can't do the back and then forward movements to save my life. I can't pull of a freakin' Psycho Crusher with M. Bison.
Anyone got any tips? This is my first Street Fighter game.

You have to hold back for (approximately) two seconds before going forward, so generally you want to actaully hold down&back (otherwise you will be walking backwards while charging the move). So just hold down/back for a couple seconds than move the stick forward and then hit the button - you will get the hang of it.

- J - D -

I spent a good 4 hours playing SSFIV3D tonight. Didn't have much else to do after plans to go see Sucker Punch fell through.

I've been trying to learn Guy, but man it's harder to win with him than my other mainstays.

Love Arcade Mode's fight request option. When I actively try to find online matches through the 'Internet Match' mode, I rarely get any hits, but through Arcade mode not a single round goes by before I get the 'New Challenger' alert. It's nice.

rosjos44

whoever plays st leon. This guy just picks the same character over and over again and does two moves..." Ryu out of all people. So I just picked ken and did the same thing to him.

seriously people like this should not play fighters.

taku

I'm going to add my opinion to the whole "static backgrounds" ordeal and say that I was one of the people who were incredibly let down when I heard this news. But now that I have the game, I haven't thought about it for even a second while playing..

What I do want is voice chat during matches. My brother lives in another country right now, it'd be good to be able to play quick games and shit talk while we're at it.

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
Seth final boss on 3DS = still cheap.
Hmm, I thought he was easy as hell in this version. All I did was jump-in hk > c.hk and repeat :/

- J - D -

taku said:
Hmm, I thought he was easy as hell in this version. All I did was jump-in hk > c.hk and repeat :/

On Hard and above? That's where I play. I must suck then because I can pummel him in the first round but then from the second round on the AI seemingly reads my every input practically before I do them. It isn't impossible to overcome, but the difficulty spike is still stupidly obvious.

taku

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
On Hard and above? That's where I play. I must suck then because I can pummel him in the first round but then from the second round on the AI seemingly reads my every input practically before I do them. It isn't impossible to overcome, but the difficulty spike is still stupidly obvious.
Granted, this was on normal. But he was cheap even on normal on 360/PS3. I'll try him again on hardest later.

taku

I NEED SCISSORS said:
The online is really laggy. Don't know if it's my wi-fi connection or shit netcode, but it was pretty bad.
I've only played two online games so far, but they were mad-laggy. It was like everything was in slow motion (at least I won both of 'em though!).

jlevel13

I NEED SCISSORS said:
The online is really laggy. Don't know if it's my wi-fi connection or shit netcode, but it was pretty bad.

I haven't played online much (about 20 matches), but that hasn't been my experience. I have had a couple of very laggy matches, but for the most part I'd rate the net code as being close to the console versions - a little lag now and then (especially at the beginning of a match), but for the most part pretty smooth and sometimes perfect. Do you have it set to play against people from the same region? I'm sure that setting must help. It is a shame there's no connection quality display before matches, so you could back out if there weren't enough bars...

MNC

What do you find easier to use for controls (Circle pad/Dpad) and what did you use on consoles? Having alternated with either Dpad/Analog on the PS3 it took me some time to get used to the Circle pad.

I'm using the circle pad at the minute. Found it hard with the d-pad, feels like it needs to be broken in. I would just jump straight up instead of jumping in with the d-pad.

It proving tough to get use to as I use a stick on console.

I do love this thing.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I just spent an hour on the local multiplayer mode with my brother in law. Such a brilliant game. Circle pad is surprisingly good, I stopped using dpad as I find it way too low for my hand.

Sanic

I'm finding the dpad much better for movement, but for pulling off any kind of moves I much prefer the circle pad, so I actually jump back and forth between the two during a match.

Top Bottom