• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl |OT| Adventure Runs in the Family - Mondays 8/7c on CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

Seriously though, so far it definitely is.
Flash and Arrow are mostly slow builders, SHIELD is just okay until it is tie-in or final time, Supergirl isn't enough episodes yet.
Gotham started strong this season and has continued with every episode so far.

Far be it from me to call you a liar.

Tabby

6UbUZdR.gif
Yeah I kind of agree with him.
Flash has been okay, Supergirl is only 1 episode and Arrow has been good but not on the same level as Gotham.

Skux

Can we all at least agree that everything is either good or improving?

Gotham S1 was mediocre to terrible with some bright spots but S2 is absolutely blowing me away so far.

Arrow S3 was abysmal but S4 is gradually turning everything around.

Flash S2 is still just as great and takes on its comic book roots fearlessly and proudly.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Can we all at least agree that everything is either good or improving?

Gotham S1 was mediocre to terrible with some bright spots but S2 is absolutely blowing me away so far.

Arrow S3 was abysmal but S4 is gradually turning everything around.

Flash S2 is still just as great and takes on its comic book roots fearlessly and proudly.

Agents of SHIELD is a neat watch. I don't have any moments this season where I've really been wowed, but I think it's good watchable TV with some good characters.

Flash is unapologetically fun, though its writing is still a bit too stilted and not all of its actors can make it work, but goddamn when it's good, it's really fucking good. It's cheesy, but it doesn't feel out of place.

Arrow is in an awkward place, and kinda always has been. S1 was kinda appropriately serious, but its CW soapiness and stilted writing kept it from greatness. S2 was funner and could get you more hyped up. S3 was so grim and charmless, and nobody was having fun. It had a lot of cool ideas but it was a slog to kinda get through all of them, not to mention characters making so many nonsensical decisions for drama's sake.

Now? S4 just feels kinda lifeless. It's not exactly Buffy/Angel level of wit in the way that show could shift tone and still feel appropriate. I mean seriously, Angel could have a hilarious two-part season finale take place in a hell dimension with a background character (played by Joss Whedon btw) doing the Dance of Joy. Only afew episodes later, Angel is strangling Wesley in his hospital bed in all out rage, and it never felt out of place. Arrow is sorta going for something lighter now, but Felicity is the only one with any real charm. It's too stilted and cheap to take seriously, but not wild enough to really be fun. It doesn't have any real bite to it, and doesn't feel like it knows what it is. And frankly, I just don't care. I mean it's better than S3, but... I feel kinda empty towards it. Not to mention the action/cinematography/choreography is so bland and without threat, none of it is particularly engaging.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Ugh... all these comparisons is getting as tiresome as AoS vs Arrow.

Also, I don't see how Gotham "is the best superhero show" when we got god damn King Shark last night.

Joni

Glee/Ryan Murphy wasted everyone on that show.
Honestly, there are some actors he did very well by. Grant Gustin was one of them. That was a great role. Darren Criss, Kurt Colfer and Lea Michele can't exactly complain either. He also casted a lot of people who just couldn't act better. Benoist and Becca Tobin, they got wasted.

I really wish they didn't go with Superman existing in this universe. It really makes little sense how he could ignore something as serious as Kryptonian prisoners escaping from the Phantom Zone and just let Kara handle it.

Tabby

I really wish they didn't go with Superman existing in this universe. It really makes little sense how he could ignore something as serious as Kryptonian prisoners escaping from the Phantom Zone and just let Kara handle it.
Maybe they're gonna pull a HIMYM on us and be like "he been dead all along".

Show was a bigger budget CW formula-driven superhero show. I felt like Ive seen all of this before so many times.

same producers as flash. and yeah basically this felt like the flash with a girl lead.

i liked her a lot, about as much as you can like barry allen tbh. fun show, the evil aunt shit was corny but eh whatever i'll prolly tune in weekly.

not blown away but it was better than the ads alluded to for me.

edit: melissa definitely need to step up her drama game though, grant gustin was killing it from the start. and the show needs to drop that "the big blue guy" , "that guy with the cape" shit it's only the pilot and those references are already sounding overdone. hopefully jimmy olsen stops bringing him up.

Magwik

Banned

Well they said they are going to have an episode addressing it

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
the one thing my fiancée and I did not like about the pilot was that the "girl power" thing was a little bit over the top. for example the waitress. It just seemed so forced.

Well they said they are going to have an episode addressing it
I mean, that aside, I guess the biggest issue with Superman existing is that it splits audience attention. Like, no matter what Kara does, the viewer will wonder what Supes (and Bats, since they briefly referenced him, too) is up to at that time, and it also doesn't help how much the show hyped him up.

I'm also not crazy about the secret agent stuff, but whatever.

Magwik

Banned
I mean, that aside, I guess the biggest issue with Superman existing is that it splits audience attention. Like, no matter what Kara does, the viewer will wonder what Supes (and Bats, since they briefly referenced him, too) is up to at that time, and it also doesn't help how much the show hyped him up.

I'm also not crazy about the secret agent stuff, but whatever.
Wait when did they reference batman?

agree with ragriz on this one. gotham's just so fun right now, flash is fun too but it slows down at times to deal with the CW-stuff. gotham is just unrestricted camp mixed with grit and it shouldn't work but it does.

arrow is uh...a tv show with people in it. that's about all i can say about that mess right now.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Mehcad Brooks Is the only reason to watch this show. His chest in those Henley shirts is sexy as heck

C'mon, a guy shoves C4 down his pants in a Black Market Weapons Supermarket and two minutes later this happens

zfAcPdo.gif

it's definitely a black comedy

Things are not things just because you think they are.

I remember in S1 when the episodes were themed to the plot. Then halfway into S2, they were just random theme episodes. Them trying to do a school shooting episode (which nobody ever brought up again in the show) was in phenomenally bad taste.

Things are not things just because you think they are.
Well it's a good thing the definition of Black Comedy is on my side.

A black comedy (or dark comedy) is a comic work that employs farce and morbid humor, which, in its simplest form, is humor that makes light of subject matter usually considered taboo.

IconGrist

The one guy talked about someone stopping an armored car robbery, and he had horns coming out of his head. I assume that's a reference to Batman.

Was it? I thought they said a man with horns coming out of his head robbed an armored car, not stopped a robbery. I need to watch it again.

ZeroX03

Banned
edit: melissa definitely need to step up her drama game though, grant gustin was killing it from the start. and the show needs to drop that "the big blue guy" , "that guy with the cape" shit it's only the pilot and those references are already sounding overdone. hopefully jimmy olsen stops bringing him up.

Grant Gustin and Jesse L. Martin have some of the most on point teary eyes in the business. It's absurd how heart breaking those two can go.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

I'm so torn on how I feel about that. I do like that they're embracing the idea that this is a Supergirl story, you shouldn't be watching and waiting for Superman to show up. And based off the pilot, I'm pretty much okay with letting it go. I'm watching for Kara's story. But looking down the road, I wonder how long that internal suspension of disbelief can last. For example, how do you do a season finale-esque type of episode with the entire city in danger without someone thinking "Hey...why isn't Superman giving his cousin a hand?" I wouldn't be shocked if Superman goes off world or something.

Flash and Arrow kinda handwave it, and it's cheesy but appreciated. Outside of the crossover episodes Flash will show up, help for a hot minute and basically say "Hey, I got my own shit to deal with right now. Gotta go."

Magwik

Banned
I'm so torn on how I feel about that. I do like that they're embracing the idea that this is a Supergirl story, you shouldn't be watching and waiting for Superman to show up. And based off the pilot, I'm pretty much okay with letting it go. I'm watching for Kara's story. But looking down the road, I wonder how long that internal suspension of disbelief can last. For example, how do you do a season finale-esque type of episode with the entire city in danger without someone thinking "Hey...why isn't Superman giving his cousin a hand?" I wouldn't be shocked if Superman goes off world or something.

Flash and Arrow kinda handwave it, and it's cheesy but appreciated. Outside of the crossover episodes Flash will show up, help for a hot minute and basically say "Hey, I got my own shit to deal with right now. Gotta go."

We have Hank Hemshaw in the show. You know how they are going to deal with Superman not being around? By killing Superman. Perfect 3 season setup. Kara's Aunt, Hemshaw, then Doomsday.

Toa TAK

Banned
Finally took the time to sit down and watch this and I gotta say I really enjoyed the pilot. I think the tone is right for this.

Though strangely my biggest takeaway was that the score was pretty good.

ZeroX03

Banned
Ah, as someone who hasn't watched either show, that's pretty cool that it seems like he's the go-to for this kind of thing.

His Arrow theme is great and the Flash theme will be iconic. He's doing the spinoff Legends of Tomorrow as well. He's aces. PS. Watch Flash.

I'm not sold on her acting. There's something wavering about her voice, she channels Felicity way too much. Maybe it is just my dislike of the whole Superman mythos that colors my perception.

Even before the opening credits something bugged me: she scans to see if Alex is on the plane before going to help. If it had been another flight then would she have let 100+ people die to preserve her secret? Ok, maybe... Kinda sucky, but maybe... But Alex is on the plane, she does save it, and rather than swim away she reveals herself. So why check for Alex at all? I guess it is possible she was like "OK, I've got to do this" and when it worked out saw the opportunity to out herself, but... ugh.

It probably is just my dislike of this side of DC getting to me. Batman 4 life, yo!

CBS posted the pilot episode with commentary on their site: http://www.cbs.com/shows/supergirl/...e-supergirl-premiere-episode-with-commentary/

Here's the pilot without commentary for those who missed it: http://www.cbs.com/shows/supergirl/video/92C4EB54-8372-A474-3F03-8CA1385134F3/supergirl-pilot/

And here's a 30 second preview for next week's episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU71FV3Vk3k

And three clips from next weeks episode:
Clip 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlGZMmvMA8g
Clip 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLyNwh6vFbs
Clip 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlbJcgLfEj0

There's some Superman name drops in there.

Volimar

CBS posted the pilot episode with commentary on their site: http://www.cbs.com/shows/supergirl/...e-supergirl-premiere-episode-with-commentary/

Here's the pilot without commentary for those who missed it: http://www.cbs.com/shows/supergirl/video/92C4EB54-8372-A474-3F03-8CA1385134F3/supergirl-pilot/

And here's a 30 second preview for next week's episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU71FV3Vk3k

And three clips from next weeks episode:
Clip 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlGZMmvMA8g
Clip 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLyNwh6vFbs
Clip 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlbJcgLfEj0

There's some Superman name drops in there.

Who's doing the commentary?

Raistlin

Agents of SHIELD is a neat watch. I don't have any moments this season where I've really been wowed, but I think it's good watchable TV with some good characters.

Flash is unapologetically fun, though its writing is still a bit too stilted and not all of its actors can make it work, but goddamn when it's good, it's really fucking good. It's cheesy, but it doesn't feel out of place.

Arrow is in an awkward place, and kinda always has been. S1 was kinda appropriately serious, but its CW soapiness and stilted writing kept it from greatness. S2 was funner and could get you more hyped up. S3 was so grim and charmless, and nobody was having fun. It had a lot of cool ideas but it was a slog to kinda get through all of them, not to mention characters making so many nonsensical decisions for drama's sake.

Now? S4 just feels kinda lifeless. It's not exactly Buffy/Angel level of wit in the way that show could shift tone and still feel appropriate. I mean seriously, Angel could have a hilarious two-part season finale take place in a hell dimension with a background character (played by Joss Whedon btw) doing the Dance of Joy. Only afew episodes later, Angel is strangling Wesley in his hospital bed in all out rage, and it never felt out of place. Arrow is sorta going for something lighter now, but Felicity is the only one with any real charm. It's too stilted and cheap to take seriously, but not wild enough to really be fun. It doesn't have any real bite to it, and doesn't feel like it knows what it is. And frankly, I just don't care. I mean it's better than S3, but... I feel kinda empty towards it. Not to mention the action/cinematography/choreography is so bland and without threat, none of it is particularly engaging.
Omg I always loved that scene with the ridiculous dancing. Had no idea that was Joss lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom