• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl |OT| Adventure Runs in the Family - Mondays 8/7c on CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.
gotham's hilarious, i thought it was shit during the first few episodes but once it got what it wanted to be it's just been really damn entertaining. >>> arrow for damn sure. maybe flash too since it's without the CW formula but I really enjoy that series as well so I dunno yet.

will check out this pilot later tonight.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
gotham's hilarious, i thought it was shit during the first few episodes but once it got what it wanted to be it's just been really damn entertaining. >>> arrow for damn sure. maybe flash too since it's without the CW formula but I really enjoy that series as well so I dunno yet.

will check out this pilot later tonight.

Yeah, Gotham is just campy and corny, it's great. Shouldn't be taken seriously.

ReAxion

The only good thing was Melissa Benoist, but pilots are usually awkward to shitty, so I'll give it another try next week.

Speaking of bad pilots, just how many engines have to blow, and local news broadcasts, have to take place before you signal a mayday. Is two flaming engines the minimum?

Raistlin

As was Agents of SHIELD, but it's fantastic now.

Sure, but I don't think you can blame people for not wanting to stick around a half season or more to find out.

There's a lot of good content out, and many people have limited down time to watch.

Also, while this may be personal opinion ... Agents was boring and lame at the start. Gotham was painfully shit.

Lashley

Sure, but I don't think you can blame people for not wanting to stick around a half season or more to find out.

There's a lot of good content out, and many people have limited down time to watch.

Also, while this may be personal opinion ... Agents was boring and lame at the start. Gotham was painfully shit.

Of course, I agree with you on both points. Just it's a shame when people STILL shit on Gotham but not on AOS.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

My problem is how the show tries to be campy and corny (with the villains this season) but also takes itself really seriously (with every conversation fraught with emotion that Jim has with just about every character). I would like it more if it just picked a lane.

Of course, I agree with you on both points. Just it's a shame when people STILL shit on Gotham but not on AOS.

Why would shitting on one show mandate that people should shit on another show?

If you feel a show has improved, then just say that. Why even bring up something else?

My problem is how the show tries to be campy and corny (with the villains this season) but also takes itself really seriously (with every conversation fraught with emotion that Jim has with just about every character). I would like it more if it just picked a lane.

nooope. i'm happy with the mix. would never want it to go full camp or too serious for it's own good. they found their groove.

Lashley

Why would shitting on one show mandate that people should shit on another show?

If you feel a show has improved, then just say that. Why even bring up something else?

My point was they shouldn't shit on either. Both have improved, Agents of SHIELD is my favourite TV show atm alongside Flash.

Finaika

13 million!

Heck of a start for the Girl of Steel!

Demo-Profile-2015-Oct-MON.26.png

OMG

I didn't really enjoy the pilot, thought it wasn't all that compelling, thought none of the supporting characters were all that interesting, nor the acting very good, nor the special effects. I'm not sure I'll bother to watch it again, as "maybe it'll get better" is not what gets me excited to stick with a series.

Then again, if I didn't stick it out through the wildly uneven first season of Gotham, I wouldn't have this awesome season 2 craziness right now......so eh. Maybe it'll get better. :p

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Joining in.

I just noticed her coworker's full name. So I guess that is eventually happening.

Spoiler tagging in case people want to be completely left in the dark.
They confirmed Toyman will be appearing this season but they could've changed who he is, like Merlyn on Arrow.

I found the opposite to be true as I was able to finish season 1 of Gotham but couldn't do more than 4 eps of Shield

Well, I gave it a chance, but I must say that I think that I won't keep going. I found the pilot to be very cheap: Bad special effects, mediocre acting. But the worst of all is this girlish "Devil wears Prada" kinda drama style that the show was enacting.

I'll maybe watch the next one or two episodes, as those are usually a bit different, more mature in style than pilots, but they'd really have to step their game up with this show.

(Am I too critical?)

TheOddOne

- Vulture: Supergirl Is the Most-Watched Series Premiere of the Fall Season.
Supergirl is off to a spectacular start on CBS. Boosted by a special lead-in from The Big Bang Theory, Monday’s premiere drew nearly 13 million same-day viewers, making it the most-watched series premiere of what has heretofore been a lackluster fall for both broadcast and cable networks. It also gives Supergirl the distinction of having the broadest opening of any of the recent wave of superhero-themed TV shows: ABC’s Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. kicked off the recent boom by drawing 12 million viewers back in September 2013.
(Fun fact: The previous top-rated series premiere this fall among young adults had been NBC’s Blindspot, which, like Supergirl, is from executive producer Greg Berlanti.)

Gotham is both terrible and wonderful at the same time. I've been thoroughly enjoying its second season. Must be a Fox Monday thing, that is where they aired The Following after all and I felt almost exactly the same about that show.

As for Supergirl, I'd give the pilot a C+. Good enough to keep watching but nothing to get too excited about yet.

Ricker

Well, I gave it a chance, but I must say that I think that I won't keep going. I found the pilot to be very cheap: Bad special effects, mediocre acting. But the worst of all is this girlish "Devil wears Prada" kinda drama style that the show was enacting.

I'll maybe watch the next one or two episodes, as those are usually a bit different, more mature in style than pilots, but they'd really have to step their game up with this show.

(Am I too critical?)

Well kinda lol,I mean its your opinion but for a TV show,the CG was pretty cool for the plane and the fights no...? the acting is good also,besides the young Supergirl at the start,but we wont see her again,the flying is ok also,again for a TV show.

Sölf

Time to sub!

After seeing EP 1, I can say so far it's okay. Not as good as the first EP of Flash was, but still pretty good. Was suprised to see many quite good special effects (that truck!). That makes 4 DC shows I am watching now. Let's see how good it will be after a few episodes.

Ricker

Sölf;183178428 said:
Time to sub!

After seeing EP 1, I can say so far it's okay. Not as good as the first EP of Flash was, but still pretty good. Was suprised to see many quite good special effects (that truck!). That makes 4 DC shows I am watching now. Let's see how good it will be after a few episodes.

Oh yeah,forgot to mention that truck also,that was well done...not sure they can keep the budget for Special Effects like this episode all season but let's see.

Sölf

Oh yeah,forgot to mention that truck also,that was well done...not sure they can keep the budget for Special Effects like this episode all season but let's see.

Yeah, let's see if it turns into an Arrow or a Flash regarding the effects. I definitly hope for the latter, the effects in Flash are just plain awesome.

ZeroX03

Banned

Lol that comment

y8IGljg.jpg

Lots of the actors are friends, it shouldn't surprise anyone that most of the cast are just actors and not comic book fanatics.

Arrow's producer Marc Guggenheim is married to Agent Carter producer Tara Butters. Outside of a few specific people - Geoff Johns was a huge DC fanboy while actively working with Marvel - people just go where the work is! Fancy that!

Biggest (friendly) rivalry is probably between Shield and Agent Carter's casts.

Chariot

Lots of the actors are friends, it shouldn't surprise anyone that most of the cast are just actors and not comic book fanatics.

Arrow's producer Marc Guggenheim is married to Agent Carter producer Tara Butters. Outside of a few specific people - Geoff Johns was a huge DC fanboy while actively working with Marvel - people just go where the work is! Fancy that!

Biggest (friendly) rivalry is probably between Shield and Agent Carter's casts.
Not to mention that artists and writers switch around a lot anyways. Though I think that DC and Marvel as companies grew a lot more distant after Disney acquired it.

I enjoyed it for a block of tasty vintage cheese.

It was occasionally clunky with exposition, and some incredibly earnest but unconvincing acting in places. But the cast is great (not sure about Kara's sister) or slightly smug Jimmy Olsen. The guy with spock ears playing the agency boss was a total jerk and probably the most enjoyable character in this. Calista Flockhart was also good. Benoist is going to be a huge star and deservedly so.

The setup with the Krytonian (Kryptonese, really?) prison is interesting, as is Hot Aunt (I don't read comics so until she's named in the show, I just know here as Hot Aunt)

So yeah, the Season Pass was worth it and I will be watching through the end of the season.

Something something, almost entire cast of Whiplash in superhero things.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I actually enjoyed it, I really wasn't expecting to but this will be a keeper. And err, do people actually dislike Gotham? I really love it :(

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Here's a summary of the first episode:

cousin

cousin

that guy in a red cape from metropolis

cousin

Jimmy Olson, who's a friend of the guy in metropolis

cousin

you know, that was the first thing he did too, save a plane.

cousin

God, I thought I was playing GTA4 again.

anaron

BirthMoviesDeath: The One Thing That Makes SUPERGIRL Better Than MAN OF STEEL

DC's latest TV show is the best Superman Family adaptation since 1978.

I want to get this out of the way up front so that the comments don’t have to devolve into some kind of shitshow as they often do when Man of Steel comes up: I think Zack Snyder is a very good filmmaker - one of the best visual storytellers working today - and I think that on its own Man of Steel is a good movie. It’s just a really shitty Superman movie, a movie that seems to either misunderstand or despise what it is that makes Superman a unique and special character.

What makes Superman a unique and special character? Watch Supergirl, the new DC TV show on CBS, and you’ll totally get it. Supergirl captures so much of the spirit of what made Superman an enduring figure while also adding a very modern, very female, very Millennial twist to the whole thing. Not since the Superman: The Movie have I seen a Superman universe adaptation that gets so much so so right.

There’s one thing that Supergirl gets right that Man of Steel completely whiffed, and while it’s a small thing it is, in a very real sense, the only thing that matters. In Supergirl Kara Zor-El wants to be a hero.

That’s it. She wants to be a hero. That’s what divides Supergirl from Man of Steel (well, that and millions of dollars, an extra hour and a half run time and state of the art VFX), and it’s the one element that you need in any Superman story. Superman wants to be a hero. That’s just who he is. And that's just who his cousin is.

"Man of Steel spends a lot of time with Clark Kent agonizing over his position in the world and about whether or not he wants to be a hero. That, to me, isn’t Clark Kent. Clark never questions this - he may question his own ability or second guess his choices or the world around him, but Clark Kent, as a character, is driven by the need to do the right thing. He works for justice not just as Superman but also as Clark Kent, reporter at the Daily Planet. There is no version of Clark Kent - no real version, anyway - who hides from responsibility, who uses his abilities for his own good. Let’s put it this way - Clark isn’t working as a gossip columnist, he’s working as a beat reporter who is out there trying to uncover the truth for the people of Metropolis.

On CBS’ Supergirl Kara Zor-El has the exact same motivation as her cousin. All that she wants to do - the only goal she has - is to make the world a better place. Her home planet is gone and she is dedicated to making sure that her adopted world is safe, secure and improving. That's why she's working at CatCo, because she thinks this media empire can give her the platform to change the world. She is counseled by her adoptive sister to hide her Kryptonian light under a bushel, but it doesn’t come naturally for Kara, and as soon as there’s an opportunity for her to go out and make a difference - as a plane threatens to crash into National City - she immediately runs off and helps. There are no second thoughts, no considerations of a secret identity, only the immediate, instant and innate need to help people.

Supergirl and Superman (and Superboy and Krypto and Streaky and Beppo the Supermonkey) all share this trait, and always have - until Man of Steel. What happens in Man of Steel is that Superman’s natural tendency to heroism is perverted and muffled by filmmakers who misunderstand the character on a profound, fundamental level.

Superman was created by a pair of Jewish kids in Cleveland during the Great Depression. He was completely a power fantasy for these kids - he’s a handsome, powerful man who has extraordinary powers. More than that, though, he’s an outsider, just as Jews were in America in the early 20th century. Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, the kids who invented the Man of Tomorrow, were the children of immigrants, and they built that into their power fantasy. Here was a character who came from elsewhere and who was unique and strange but was beloved, and a symbol of the greatness of America. The power fantasy at the heart of Superman wasn’t just about being strong, it was about being accepted"

"...That’s something Ali Adler, one of the creators of the show and the writer of the pilot episode, understands fully. Supergirl externalizes that aspiration - Kara literally is inspired by her cousin, as we are - but it also internalizes it. In Man of Steel General Zod calls Superman out, threatening the Earth. Clark has a long dark night of the soul, wondering if he should go to the Kryptonians. He talks to his mom, he consults a priest. In Supergirl an evil alien named Vartox calls Kara out, threatening National City. There’s no hesitation - she immediately flies off to confront the baddie.

Many people have pointed out that Man of Steel is about Superman’s first day on the job, but so is Supergirl, very explicitly so. As such Supergirl screws up, but her mistakes all come from enthusiasm, from her desire to do the right thing. Superman doesn’t have that enthusiasm, and he definitely doesn’t have the proactive nature Supergirl shows in the pilot. And frankly a Superman without that proactive nature isn’t Superman.

I don’t know much about Ali Adler, but I suspect that her approach to the power fantasy of a Kryptonian on Earth is quite similar to Siegel and Shuster. As a woman working in an industry that is cataclysmically male-dominated, she knows what it is to be the outsider. And like Siegel and Shuster she sees a position of power as an opportunity to lift others up - characters in Supergirl comment on what a female superhero means to their daughters. Unlike the post-deconstructivist Snyder and Goyer Adler never questions why Supergirl wants to help people - she understands the instinctive need and desire to leave the world a better place than you found it.

There’s other stuff - tonal things, an embrace of a larger and more colorful mythology - that sets Supergirl above Man of Steel, but for me the truly important difference is that Supergirl is about a superhero who wants to be a superhero, about a woman embracing her ability to effect change. Future episodes may see Kara Zor-El questioning this - you have to find drama somewhere, and a hero dissatisfied is good drama - but the show made a point to begin with a hero who wants to be a hero. It’s a very Golden Age, very pre-Marvel view of superheroes, the idea that the acquisition of super powers carries with it the immediate desire to do good. Supergirl doesn’t need to be motivated by vengeance or self-preservation or to be glum about helping people. She loves doing it, and she gets actual joy from being a hero.

When Siegel and Shuster invented Superman they brought him into a world that was in an apocalyptic financial crisis and that was headed towards an unprecedented charnel house of a world war. They didn’t create Superman in simpler times, or more naive times. They understood that dark times call for bright heroes, and so they created a light to shine through the encroaching storm clouds. Ali Adler and the team at Supergirl have done the same, creating a Supergirl who is, on the one hand, relatable in a day to day way but whose central heroism beckons to us in a difficult world, reminding us that sometimes you do the right thing because it’s the right thing to do.

God, this makes me hate Glee even more. Melissa Benoist was fucking wasted on that show.

And lol all the users expecting this to be Flash or Arrow.

http://i.imgur.com/6UbUZdR.gif
Seriously though, so far it definitely is in my opinion at least.
Flash and Arrow are mostly slow builders, SHIELD is just okay until it is tie-in or final time, Supergirl isn't enough episodes yet.
Gotham started strong this season and has continued with every episode so far.

They seriously took like every negative people had and fixed it, and thats including completely changing the shows format from procedural to mostly serial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom