• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl |OT| Adventure Runs in the Family - Mondays 8/7c on CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan299

This show is too cheesy for me. Also I can't take any major threat seriously with Superman in this universe, as it's the same problem I have with the marvel movies. If the threat is big, why wouldn't the other heroes help?

Having other Kryptons running wild on Earth would surely draw Superman's attention. He should have been killed or been missing prior to the shows start.

this is way too similar to the flash. would be nice to separate this more from the pack, another reason why i think gotham is just killing the rest of these shows right now for me. it's nothing like the CW stuff, structure is different.

this begins and ends exactly like an episode of Arrow or Flash would. it's..aiight. but eh, really could be a lot better. benoist is a female grant gustin. dat glee synergy.

Like Flash, this show can be a bit preachy, but there's no one with the gravitas of Wells or Papa Joe West to sell it with gravitas.

I also feel like they could do with injecting a bit of darkness into the show.

jb1234

Benoist really sells it well though. That whole kitten video excuse she did felt so darn genuine she reminded me of my own friends. It was uncanny.

She's very good. I'm not as convinced with the sister, although a good chunk of that is the dialogue. They're pushing that relationship too hard, with no subtlety.

anaron

the dialogue is definitely not worse than Arrow OR Flash, the fuck.

and lol at asking for a bigger budget. this show already looks generally amazing for what they're attempting on TV.

Like Flash, this show can be a bit preachy, but there's no one with the gravitas of Wells or Papa Joe West to sell it with gravitas.

I also feel like they could do with injecting a bit of darkness into the show.

absolutely. they need to throw this bootleg zod into the bushes and get a better main villain. hopefully that maxwell lord is it or someone else.

really liked the montage though for sure, she's having a lot of fun with it.

Hit her with your best shot

LIEzoLG.gif
7GaAzoS.gif

SS5J8VE.gif
MMGic1J.gif

wildfire

Banned
Well good to see someone is enjoying it. This episode was mostly good for the first two thirds (Flockheart starting as an assistant to Perry White aggravated me a lot) but the last third was atrocious.

Supergirl fights her aunt during her rookie debut? Her aunt starts wailing on her instead of trying to appeal to familial connection? Shitty wirefu? Closet of solitude fully equipped with low rent Russel Crow knock off? Hinting at Cyborg in such a random fashion? The plan to trap the Helgamite? The Helgamite getting knocked out by his own poison? "Your mother betrayed me for being a hero." *cringe*

I hope they don't continue making that many mistakes in the future.

Tabby

Sometimes I feel like people are just adamant and determined to hate this instead of actually giving it a chance. This start hasn't even been bad in my opinion.

RS4-

Enjoying it so far, but man, wtf is up with shows these days revealing shit before the third ep.

The Player, Blindspot, the fucking godawful Quantico. Jesus.

All in all with what they have to work with and what they are not allowed to work with the show is better than I expected.

This guy will keep watching.

Sometimes I feel like people are just adamant and determined to hate this instead of actually giving it a chance. This start hasn't even been bad in my opinion.

Meh writing, subpar effects, and everyone's favorite aspect of the show seems to be how adorable Benoist is. I wouldn't think too much of the quality of this show.

Enjoying it so far, but man, wtf is up with shows these days revealing shit before the third ep.

The Player, Blindspot, the fucking godawful Quantico. Jesus.

Don't forget Agents of SHIELD, which typically resolves what you would expect to be a cliffhanger on the same episode it is introduced. It's a pacing style I've come to enjoy, though not every writer can pull it off without making it feel rushed.

I much preferred the second episode here to the pilot in that respect, and I'll be satisfied if they keep it up at this level.

Jetman

Haha, I remember mentioning I saw the premiere at Comic Con, and how bad it was (and I thought it was connected to Man of Steel). Knew a lot of GAF would agree with me when they put the pitchforks away and watched it. It's a DC comics show, Benoist is an awesome Supergirl, and I really want to like it. I'm just having a hard time, mostly with the writing.
Still hoping it'll improve! I'll keep DVR'ing it and hope for the best!

Luigi87

Just watched the second ep.
Liked it much more than the pilot. Also nice that they can now fully say names like Superman, Clark Kent, etc.

I half watched the second episode. Pretty much a by the numbers S1 Flash episode with training stuff. It's an improvement from the pacing of the first episode but still failing to grab me. The dialogue is still wonky and a lot of the ancillary cast doesn't fit well imo. General Auntie is underwhelming and doesn't come off threatening. DEO Director doesn't really fit as the detracting mentor (and the detracting is redundant with Alex Danvers). Alex is in a weird place with her sometimes capable, sometimes damsel, I love my sister but I have to criticize/detract constantly. And there's really nothing for Kara's bestie-who-has-feelings-for-her to do the vast majority of the time. He doesn't have a skillset and thus, is simply window dressing. Pretty much an extra who they can toss a few lines to during the montages.

It's not knock down drag out bad and it did improve in some places from the pilot but it still has a hill to climb in quality imo. It's very similar to how Flash started, which interestingly enough, I think points out just how lucky Flash was to get the actors for Wells and Joe West to balance out some of the clunkier dialogue.

Both those problems were directly addressed at the end of this episode, though.

Sort of? Introducing someone else behind General Auntie and DEO Director complimenting Kara and then having his eyes flash don't do enough to make me think the issue is really handled. My problem isn't the existence of the characters or their archetypes but their presence as it comes across in execution. That's part of the reason I brought up Flash's actors for Wells and Joe West.

Sort of? Introducing someone else behind General Auntie and DEO Director complimenting Kara and then having his eyes flash don't do enough to make me think the issue is really handled.

Probably because the rest of the show hasn't happened yet, though. You're saying those two aspects are a problem. I'm saying the show just pointed out to us that those problems probably aren't problems because they're showing us those characters aren't what you thought they were. They're not going to be what you're complaining about going forward.

It's pretty similar to how the Superman complaints seemed valid in the pilot until you got to episode 2 and you realized how they're using his presence, and why.

Now if we get to episode six and whatever arc we're being shown the beginnings of doesn't actually arc? Then that's a problem.

Dalek

Meh writing, subpar effects, and everyone's favorite aspect of the show seems to be how adorable Benoist is. I wouldn't think too much of the quality of this show.

Do you ever post anything positive? It seems you just pop into random threads to shit over everything.

Probably because the rest of the show hasn't happened yet, though. You're saying those two aspects are a problem. I'm saying the show just pointed out to us that those problems probably aren't problems because they're showing us those characters aren't what you thought they were.

It's pretty similar to how the Superman complaints seemed valid in the pilot until you got to episode 2 and you realized how they're using his presence, and why.

I realize that the rest of the show hasn't happened yet. However I'm not just going to give them the benefit of the doubt that these things are going to be fixed. They could be fixed going forward and I'm going to wait and see but I'm not going to take two minor segments of one episode as evidence that they will certainly be fixed. You never know until it happens or it doesn't.

Now if we get to episode six and whatever arc we're being shown the beginnings of doesn't actually arc? Then that's a problem.

Sure. For now though, I'm just pointing out what I see as a problem at the moment.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Oh and yeah I don't know if it was padding or if Benoist's arms are just that jacked now but wow.

Noticed that too. I dont think its padding as you can see her thighs in the scene where she is walking awkwardly after the fight and they look like someone is gyming really hard.
I like that ;)

However I'm not just going to give them the benefit of the doubt that these things are going to be fixed. They could be fixed going forward and I'm going to wait and see but I'm not going to take two minor segments of one episode as evidence that they will certainly be fixed.

Dunno how you can't. Those two minor segments are the definition of blatant foreshadowing that the things you're noting as problems are already accounted for.

I don't disagree that they could botch the execution of it. But the specific complaints you made seem to have been already addressed before you even made them - within the text of the episode itself. That's what I'm saying. Meaning they're not so much problems as they are setup for what the characters are going to actually be.

I decided to give this a shot, even though I'm not as big of a superhero movie/TV show fan as everyone else seems to be. I gave Marvel's SHIELD show a shot and didn't like it, got bored of Gotham, didn't find Arrow interesting and felt that the Flash looked cheap/poorly acted.

I've watched the first episode of this so far, and saved the second. The premiere was pretty solid and I enjoyed it, so I'm looking forward to episode 2.

This show is pretty well cast, and Melissa Benoit does a good job. She's likeable, beautiful and fits well. I wish they'd kept the first outfit, haha. I like James Olson's actor, too, although Calista Flockheart will take time to get used to.

Chyler Leigh has been decent in it. I wish she'd kept the short hair though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom