• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl |OT| Adventure Runs in the Family - Mondays 8/7c on CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomita

Fucking loved Cat's dialogue in this ep. It dealt with the feminism stuff without being "preachy." I mean, I don't actually get annoyed if it's preachy too much, but I thought it was all natural sounding and so much truth. And that "anger" scene with Kara and Jimmy... <3

Also, am I scum for not minding how Red Tornado looks? Like...shit, yeah, he doesn't look like the comic version, which sucks, but like that's the first time this has ever happened. Scarlet Witch looks nothing like how she's supposed to in the Avengers movies too, but I just sigh and get over it. If I never saw how he looked in the comics I would be okay with the show design. By itself it looks fine. I dunno... Yeah, it'd be great if they could stick to the comic designs, but we still got a long ways to go on that, so I try not to get angry about it.

s3Rl15N.gif

Loved this. Looks great for TV. The acting was terrific--not over the top, just right.

But I kept thinking about her hair getting in the way of the beams and burning off, haha.
Seems I wasn't the only one, either.

I was giggling during the tornado sequence because the score (probably unintentionally) quoted Madonna's "Like a Prayer." Unfortunately, that was about the most memorable thing about this episode. Some really terrible dialogue and I'm struggling to figure out why Winn is on this show. The actor is charming enough but they need to give him dimensions fast beyond lusting for Kara.

Oh man I thought I was nuts for noticing the music sounding like the Madonna song.

I'm already done with Sam Lane.

He's an asshole. Just nothing remotely likable or interesting out captivating. He's just an asshole. I never wanna see him on my screen again.

Melissa Benoist is captivating though. They knocked the casting out of the park.

I wanna see more Rage Kara. Bring on the angry snark.

Much prefered the dad in the last season of Smallville I watched before I had to give up on the stupidity. But I really liked Lois on the show, and the dad was similar in personality while still acting like a genuine human being. You know, by Smallville standards. I really liked this episode, but the "Daddy" subplot was ridiculous, yeah.

Kinda getting tired of the villains of this show not being at maximum swagger yet. I know it took time in Arrow and Flash... but man, these villains are uninspired thus far. Alura came off as super-lame. Henshaw just walks around with glowing red eyes like he's hungover as fuck. Maxwell Lord is just a rich twat. None of these people have any charisma. That's what's missing from their performances. Melissa Benoist has charisma up the wazoo, but the villains are dry and boring as fuck.

anaron

Every show has that one scene/moment or two that you can point to to say this is why you should watch this show. At this point in time, as far as action goes, this is that scene for Supergirl. This scene is that raw with emotion and power.
Definitely.

Xemnas89

Kinda getting tired of the villains of this show not being at maximum swagger yet. I know it took time in Arrow and Flash... but man, these villains are uninspired thus far. Alura came off as super-lame. Henshaw just walks around with glowing red eyes like he's hungover as fuck. Maxwell Lord is just a rich twat. None of these people have any charisma. That's what's missing from their performances. Melissa Benoist has charisma up the wazoo, but the villains are dry and boring as fuck.

It's missing the wheel chair factor for sure. Just watching Wells get out of the chair was enough to send chills. I feel like henshaw could be that but at this point they just have him walk away with some special effects added to his eyes. No one has the Slade swag either. The swag just oozes from Slade in every scene he's in. Here's hoping the swag levels rise soon.

Penguin

Also known as Mrs. Amell. So just like Lord and whoever Ryder is playing, Berlanti picked another spouse. Who else is married so they can cast their husband/wife?

Oh when you said Mrs. Amell thought you mean Oliver and not... well the other half of firesform.

I was giggling during the tornado sequence because the score (probably unintentionally) quoted Madonna's "Like a Prayer." Unfortunately, that was about the most memorable thing about this episode. Some really terrible dialogue and I'm struggling to figure out why Winn is on this show. The actor is charming enough but they need to give him dimensions fast beyond lusting for Kara.

Winn is the Felicity of the show. I can't wait for the drama between him and Kara in season 3.

Either that or he's getting Tommy'd. But then they wouldn't have anyone on the team to hack into the servers of secret spy organizations. E: Did they every explain why he's so good at it or is it because he's an awkward puny guy?

Joni

Winn is the Felicity of the show. I can't wait for the drama between him and Kara in season 3.

Either that or he's getting Tommy'd. But then they wouldn't have anyone on the team to hack into the servers of secret spy organizations. E: Did they every explain why he's so good at it or is it because he's an awkward puny guy?

He is literally the IT guy for CatCo. Considering his age, it wouldn't be surprising for him to have hacked in his spare time.

Nah, he's the Eddie/Tommy. Super nice guy, part of the central love triangle, blood relative of a Supervillain.

He won't live long enough for season 3 drama.

Wynn is clearly gonna sacrifice himself to save National City and then profess his love to Kara before doing so.

Tommy -> Runs into collapsing building to save Laurel and her files when Oliver can't.
Eddie -> Shoots self to disintegrate RF and save all of his friends and family when Barry is at RF's mercy
Wynn -> Sacrifices himself to save National City when Supergirl can't or something.

Then he'll return in Season 3 as a villain that Maxwell Lord has cobbled together.

#TOMMYISTHEREDHOOD
#EDDIEISZOOM
#WYNNISMETALLO

Joni

Wynn is clearly gonna sacrifice himself to save National City and then profess his love to Kara before doing so.

Tommy -> Runs into collapsing building to save Laurel and her files when Oliver can't.
Eddie -> Shoots self to disintegrate RF and save all of his friends and family when Barry is at RF's mercy
Wynn -> Sacrifices himself to save National City when Supergirl can't or something.

Then he'll return in Season 3 as a villain that Maxwell Lord has cobbled together.

#TOMMYISTHEREDHOOD
#EDDIEISZOOM
#WYNNISMETALLO
No, he will survive which just leads to an awkward reunion.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
The whole sequence was fucking awesome. Gave me chills, great with the music, and the cutting between shots. Also great scenes with Cat.
Still corny at times though, but the show's better than The Flash imo. Could do without the intro speech.

I love this show, but wtf?

Even going episode by episode I'm not sure how anyone could think that. Flash launched way more fully formed than this show has.

Yeah, The Flash did have the benefit of a lot more prep-time and the benefits of being a spin off like Legend of Tomorrow. Plus they don't have the weight of having a major, established super hero that they have to skirt around the usage of around their neck. If they can't legitimately used Clark/Superman then they really should've just killed him off. At the very least then they wouldn't have the issues that come from his existance.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Yeah, The Flash did have the benefit of a lot more prep-time and the benefits of being a spin off like Legend of Tomorrow. Plus they don't have the weight of having a major, established super hero that they have to skirt around the usage of around their neck. If they can't legitimately used Clark/Superman then they really should've just killed him off. At the very least then they wouldn't have the issues that come from his existance.

There'd be a shit ton of backlash if they had killed him off though. Can't win.

I still don't get where the idea that they can't use Superman comes from. They obviously don't want him dead, but they also don't want him involved in the story because by default the show would then become about him and not Kara. That strikes me as a willful choice not to use him, not some legal issue (which wouldn't have been avoided by not showing his face, by the way).

#TOMMYISTHEREDHOOD
#EDDIEISZOOM
#WYNNISMETALLO

why the red hood? he came back in new 52 after "dying" as some new merlyn for like five seconds.

i mean, ollie didn't realize it and it wasn't flat out stated, but it was hinted fucking heavily. and then the rest of the arc happened and he never came up again.

GreenArrow17c.jpg

Joni

I still don't get where the idea that they can't use Superman comes from. They obviously don't want him dead, but they also don't want him involved in the story because by default the show would then become about him and not Kara. That strikes me as a willful choice not to use him, not some legal issue (which wouldn't have been avoided by not showing his face, by the way).
Smallville avoided it by him not getting the outfit. Not casting adult superman might be an actual condition.

Tomita

Smallville avoided it by him not getting the outfit. Not casting adult superman might be an actual condition.

Eh, if that was the case, couldn't Clark Kent just show up to talk to Kara? (Specifically in those earlier episodes). It's not so out of place for weird nobody reporter Clark Kent to talk to weird nobody secretary Kara Danvers in-universe... In that case, I don't think it's just about the Superman costume.

I kinda really want a Clark/Kara scene now, damn it.

Also, I thought they were going to do the costume towards the end of Smallville but Tom didn't "want" to wear it. (Then why are you playing Superman, bro?????)

Joni

So
Hank Henshaw
reveals this week and
--- ASTRA ---
reveals next week. The Flash and Arrow both heated up around these episodes in their first season.

Blader

I kind of hated this last episode. Supergirl saves group of kids from a car wreck, asshole driver gets out and starts screaming at her, she knocks him down pretty gently, and everyone turns on her? Even the fucking kids are going "that was pretty mean."

And then General Lane, holy shit. "By fighting my killer robot the way I asked you to, you've now unleashed it robot on the city, this is all on you." "You ruined my $11 billion investment." "By saving my daughter you've risked all these other people's lives." Fuck off already!

That Kara heat-vision-rage moment was nice though.

Joni

She was actually breaking his arm. And remember, she looks good, but they don't know if she won't abuse her powers.

Tomita

Becasu he was told, theri would be "no tights", when he started

I don't care, that's still stupid. Like bro, you have played Clark Kent for almost a decade, put the damn tights on. Do it for the fans!!

For real, though, it just sounds really petty and childish, especially when you know it's for the finale. I could maybe understand more if they told him to please put them on during, say, season five, but nah.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
so far the cast is good and the character dev is fine, they just need to actually let loose with supergirl more, every few fights she's pretty impressive like how she blasted red tornado. but the other scenes are just cringeworthy, A few straight episodes of her takin names will remedy this issue though.

So
Hank Henshaw
reveals this week and
--- ASTRA ---
reveals next week. The Flash and Arrow both heated up around these episodes in their first season.

My prediction: Astra was trying to stop whatever destroyed Krypton, but her actions appeared villainous and got her tossed in Fort Rozz. Henshaw either allied himself with or was killed and replaced by the alien he and Dr. Danvers went to investigate, the destroyer of Krypton (Braniac, maybe?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom