• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl |OT| Adventure Runs in the Family - Mondays 8/7c on CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Setsuna

s3Rl15N.gif

much better than canary scream

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The thing about that finale for last night's episode is that all that rage wasn't really given a worthy opponent. They did nothing to really make RT into a more personal adversary for SG. As much as her 'rage laser' attack was masterfully executed, both in terms of the effects and the emoting on the part of the actress, it still felt a little wasted because it was aimed at such a 2-dimensional antagonist.

...well the point of her using her rage as power source for her "work" - Kara brought a gun to a fist fight and bodied him.

Skux

The thing about that finale for last night's episode is that all that rage wasn't really given a worthy opponent. They did nothing to really make RT into a more personal adversary for SG. As much as her 'rage laser' attack was masterfully executed, both in terms of the effects and the emoting on the part of the actress, it still felt a little wasted because it was aimed at such a 2-dimensional antagonist.

I think that's what made it important though. Red Tornado was a blank slate, a puppet that we didn't feel for. That meant the moment could be all about Kara. It wasn't about beating RT, it was about Kara unleashing her anger.

If it was used against a human or other superpowered alien, she'd be a killer, and we'd face a dilemma over Kara and her temper, a magnified version of the opening of the episode against the road rager. It would be problematic rather than cathartic.

Phyranion

While I enjoy the show, it could use a more interesting overarching plot. Sure we got her evil aunt and the guy with the mysterious red eyes, but they got nothing on guys like Reverse Flash or Kilgrave.

Not

Banned
I like this show, but all Berlanti shows are a little hard to get through, just like Smallville was. I can't handle all that camp and exposition sometimes.

Yeah, it doesn't get burnt off at all. It just bounces back when the wind hits it.

FX guys probably weren't sweating slo-mo animated gifs exposing the "mistake."

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I like this show, but all Berlanti shows are a little hard to get through, just like Smallville was. I can't handle all that camp and exposition sometimes.

I watch Flash, Arrow, and Supergirl and don't know how people are able to binge watch these shows. I got into Arrow midway into Season 1, and otherwise have kept up with everything else week to week. I think my brain would melt digesting these all at once.

I would say the most glaring weakness right now for this show compared to others in the same genre, is that they aren't building up a bigger season long villain consistently. We should be getting good teases about the Big Bad for this season every week or nearly every week. Hank's eyes glowing red for no reason isn't enough. And I'm not sure if they want us to be more afraid of Henshaw or Kara's aunt.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Yeah... that was not a good episode. The writing is just so fucking weak. The final fight was okay, but the hilariously cheap wind effects, EVERYTHING involving the Lucy Lane subplot, Wynn being Wynn...

Can't deal with any of it. Not to mention the god-awful RT design which looked terrible from beginning to end.

Cat Grant is still the best part of this show, both in terms of the performance and the material given. Melissa Benoist is great, but Kara is a very reactionary character. Her confronting Maxwell Lord last episode was probably the most proactive the character has been.

To date, the Livewire episode is still by far the most well-rounded.

anaron

They definitely need to dump all the romantic relationship aspects because it's just not working at all. I don't give a fuuuck about James or Lucy's problems, Kara or Winn's pining.

that and please sweet jesus stop with the awful 80s female pop covers

I hope they actually cast Clark in the show and show him at some point.

Also, they should get Tom Welling to play a villain at some point.

http://www.ew.com/sites/default/fil...10/08/Tom-Welling_612x380_0.jpg?itok=xFvd8Vzs

Wow. I wouldn't have recognized him if you didn't mention that it was Tom Welling. Maybe it's the angle. I agree with putting Tom Welling in, after all, they've already put Dean Cain in.

Does it bother anyone that Director Henshaw looks exactly the same 15(?) years ago and now? Maybe cause he isn't human....with the glowing red eyes and shit.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Or it just blows back with the rest of the hair...
Good on them for at least adding that heat effect on it though. I noticed the hair getting on the way in the normal gif, but only noticed the effect detail when it was slowed down.

Toa TAK

Banned
Yes please, or at least use the original tunes!

Now I'm waiting to see if they use "Love is a battlefield" for the inevitable scene when Kara and Winn talk about their FEELINGS.

They definitely need to dump all the romantic relationship aspects because it's just not working at all. I don't give a fuuuck about James or Lucy's problems, Kara or Winn's pining.

It would be nice but that's what they think they need to do to appeal to the female demo as insulting as it can be, it's pretty much the only reason it's there and I can't believe they're sticking to it after how hard SNL went in on it and how much attention the Black Widow skit got, it was like someone at SNL saw the Supergirl pilot or that first trailer early and went in on mocking it but with Marvel characters.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I think that's what made it important though. Red Tornado was a blank slate, a puppet that we didn't feel for. That meant the moment could be all about Kara. It wasn't about beating RT, it was about Kara unleashing her anger.

If it was used against a human or other superpowered alien, she'd be a killer, and we'd face a dilemma over Kara and her temper, a magnified version of the opening of the episode against the road rager. It would be problematic rather than cathartic.
RT was just badly handled, that's the problem. They didn't take the time to properly develop him as a proxy for his maker's revenge and technically he wasn't a blank slate at the end there either because the sister had just declared that he'd become sentient. But he was still just treated a little too much the throwaway, villain of the week to give the scene the proper gravity it deserved. It might as well just been a repeat of the earlier scene where she beat on the car.

And as far as the scene being problematic rather than cathartic; no reason it couldn't be both.

Good on them for at least adding that heat effect on it though. I noticed the hair getting on the way in the normal gif, but only noticed the effect detail when it was slowed down.

The heat effect is there even before the hair blows. They didn't do anything to the hair besides blow a fan into it.
Is this the new brain eating scene from the Hannibal film, where some people think they saw something when it wasn't really there?

Volimar

The heat effect is there even before the hair blows. They didn't do anything to the hair besides blow a fan into it.
Is this the new brain eating scene from the Hannibal film, where some people think they saw something when it wasn't really there?

What's the thing with the brain eating scene?

What's the thing with the brain eating scene?

Many people swore that they saw Hannibal cut the piece of brain out and then feed it to the guy, while it was actually just implied and they didn't explicitly show it. It was people's minds filling in the blanks for the scene.
At least from what I remember. I just remember a lot of articles and discussion about if they actually showed it or not.

Joni

Yes, but it helps convince the brain the hair is heating up for a moment too.

Luigi87

much better than canary scream

That's all I could think during that scene.
There's just raw emotion and energy here, compared to Laurel's "open mouth which apparently activates the Canary Cry device"

Like it's not just the effects, it's the way Melissa Benoist builds up to screaming while blasting her heat vision.

Joni

The difference is that Laurel would be a real bad crime fighter if she was angry all the time. Kara needs to look angry. Laurel needs to look like she is releasing a sound. Even if that looks stupid.

There is no McSteamy so she isn't Lexi. They also act quite different and she looks a lot more like a killer. And no chance she gets caught in het hair.

The difference is that Laurel would be a real bad crime fighter if she was angry all the time. Kara needs to look angry. Laurel needs to look like she is releasing a sound. Even if that looks stupid.

There is no McSteamy so she isn't Lexi. They also act quite different and she looks a lot more like a killer. And no chance she gets caught in het hair.
Yeah, she's a surprisingly good actress. I had no idea she was Lexi until my wife pointed it out.

Meanwhile, Henshaw is still very much Estes from Homeland.

Effect

Latest episode was great. Enjoyed the talk between Kara and James especially. Cat continues to be great as well. So surprised that she's perhaps my favorite character in the show. That heat vision. I don't know how often this has happen in the past Superman or Supergirl comics but the end of this immediately made me think of Superman's new solar flare power in the comics. Where he expels all of his energy and as a result he doesn't have powers for 24 hours due to having to recharge. As soon as I saw her cut herself in this episode that is where my mind went instantly. She used up almost all of her energy to the point she is no longer invulnerable. Won't be surprised if her body sort of "shuts itself down" to recharge by cutting off all of her abilities for awhile. .

Joni

Lexi? pfft, she was Janey in Not Another Teen Movie...
The movie where she dates Captain America while Jimmy Olson is trying to lose his virginity. That entire translating movies into their superheroes roles doesn't work as well with this movie.

I like the theme of the episode, but it doesn't seem well executed.

"You broke our toy and because we weren't able to put a failsafe in it, everyone is going to die. It's all your fault!"

Jesus. They also should've picked a night location for the first fight, because RT does look pretty bad.

E: Kara still trying to understand who she is isn't terrible per sé, but wrapping it up in this love triangle BS makes it really annoying.

He can be rebuilt.... right? Riiiight? Morrow ain't dead, he's just... asleep.
When I first heard Tornado was going to be in it, I figured they were going to bring in Ivo and Amazo in another episode and Kara and RT would fight him together. Like an underlying theme in this season would be robotics and aliens and their innate humanity, you've got Henshaw potentially adding to that too. But doesn't look like that's going to happen. What a waste.

Shaanyboi

Banned
When I first heard Tornado was going to be in it, I figured they were going to bring in Ivo and Amazo in another episode and Kara and RT would fight him together. Like an underlying theme in this season would be robotics and aliens and their innate humanity, you've got Henshaw potentially adding to that too. But doesn't look like that's going to happen. What a waste.

Well Ivo is dead in the Arrowverse already, and they still haven't committed to contradicting that universe yet.

I don't think Amazo would be all that amazing in this universe, anyway. I mean, whose power would he even copy? Supergirl's? Superman's? It would be just like fighting any other Kryptonian.

On the other hand, they could hold him off for a while and have him copy the powers of various, defeated monsters of the week, or even wait until they merge into Arrowverse (if they do that) and get powers from there. Either way, it doesn't seem like Amazo would be a season 1 baddie.

Joni

Red Tornado is literally the easiest character to bring back, he is a robot. They'll find a way and he'll be completely sentient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom