• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl |OT| Adventure Runs in the Family - Mondays 8/7c on CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

If this show sees several seasons of success, I wonder if there will be confusion when Captain Marvel comes out. Cara Danvers....Carol Danvers...

"Omg what a ripoff of Supergirl" etc.
I've been hoping for that since they announced Kara's surname. lol

I think I said it before but they laid it on way too thick with the poorly written "grrl power" based over audiences' heads, I really hope it's toned down beyond the pilot or at least better written, a little subtly might've went a long way. I liked the idea I saw posted on another board I go to with Kara being a "rookie" due to not really using her powers, maybe due to the Danvers and how they raised and encouraged her to hide her powers where as the Kents along with living on a big farm gave Clark a chance for a lot of exploring and practice with his powers which could've been coupled with some subtle commentary on the way boys and girls are treated differently.

I've been hoping for that since they announced Kara's surname. lol

Well, it was hers first though as Linda Lee. I get the simplifying but Kara did have the surname first.

muWIC02.gif

So pissed I missed this at SDCC for whatever it was I was doing.

Volimar

I think I said it before but they laid it on way too thick with the poorly written "grrl power" based over audiences' heads, I really hope it's toned down beyond the pilot or at least better written, a little subtly might've went a long way. I liked the idea I saw posted on another board I go to with Kara being a "rookie" due to not really using her powers, maybe due to the Danvers and how they raised and encouraged her to hide her powers where as the Kents along with living on a big farm gave Clark a chance for a lot of exploring and practice with his powers which could've been coupled with some subtle commentary on the way boys and girls are treated differently.

I hung in there until the "Why? Because she's a girl? That's exactly what we're counting on" line. I let out an audible groan. Giving them a pass for hitting us over the head with it because it's the pilot.

I hung in there until the "Why? Because she's a girl? That's exactly what we're counting on" line. I let out an audible groan. Giving them a pass for hitting us over the head with it because it's the pilot.

Hopefully that's all it is but it wasn't all in the groan/eye rolling inducing dialog department to me, I'm not particularly fond of a couple lines of dialog said by
Winn
and I hope that character becomes a bit more likable post-pilot.

Kyle Gallner eh? Well, there's one more actor she's worked with who has played (or is playing) a comic character. Now if she worked with John Wesley Shipp on something she'd have a Flash/Allen family trifecta.

kmfdmpig

What age do you think a child should be to watch this? I'm wondering if it would be OK for a six year old. I suspect not, but she seems interested in superheroes, so it would be cool if it were.

Joni

What age do you think a child should be to watch this? I'm wondering if it would be OK for a six year old. I suspect not, but she seems interested in superheroes, so it would be cool if it were.

Maybe watch the episodes beforehand to screen it, but the pilot was kid friendly enough.

Volimar

As a parent, there wasn't anything objectionable about the pilot to me.

ReiGun

Pilot was fine for kids, and the show has been marketed pretty heavily to little girls. Of course, it's all dependent on what you want your child to watch, so give it a couple episodes.

kmfdmpig

Pilot was fine for kids, and the show has been marketed pretty heavily to little girls. Of course, it's all dependent on what you want your child to watch, so give it a couple episodes.

Thanks, Joni, Volimar and Reigun! I appreciate the advice.

Sorry Gotham but this getting watched live tomorrow. Between both shows it's going to be a good night.

Is the 8:30 air time a permanent thing or just for the Pilot to get that Big Bang crowd to stick around? Hate the weird half hour start time for an hour long show.

Is the 8:30 air time a permanent thing or just for the Pilot to get that Big Bang crowd to stick around? Hate the weird half hour start time for an hour long show.

It's only for the pilot. It'll air at 8:00 PM after that.

By the way, if anyone misses the pilot, it'll be re-aired on Saturday at 8:00 PM.

Maximo

Liked the Pilot its fairly cheesy not up to the Flash level in terms of quality but not as bad as The Arrow but that's purely based on one episode so it could swing either way. Its a tiny bit shoving feminism down your throat or at least the offhand shitty comment from a government official making a
*Your better off getting coffees*
was pretty shit something you would expect from a Drug Lord not a Government Official who clearly has other women working beside and under him...or the
*Women on my world bow down to men*
something my SO and myself felt was slightly cringe worthy but once again first episode I expect them to get a better stride as it goes along and it plays around with its themes better.

anaron

Well, it was hers first though as Linda Lee. I get the simplifying but Kara did have the surname first.

exactly, that's why I wanna see salty Carol Corps cause a giant stink about it. shit will be hilarious

Liked the Pilot its fairly cheesy not up to the Flash level in terms of quality but not as bad as The Arrow but that's purely based on one episode so it could swing either way. Its a tiny bit shoving feminism down your throat or at least the offhand shitty comment from a government official making a
was pretty shit something you would expect from a Drug Lord not a Government Official who clearly has other women working beside and under him...or the
something my SO and myself felt was slightly cringe worthy but once again first episode I expect them to get a better stride as it goes along and it plays around with its themes better.

The government isn't sexist at all.

You're right, totally unbelievable.

the offhand shitty comment from a government official making a
was pretty shit something you would expect from a Drug Lord not a Government Official who clearly has other women working beside and under him.

The exact line is "If you wanna help, go back to getting someone's coffee," after comments were made that she's not very competent, and couldn't even prevent them from catching her so easily.

Her job as Cat Grant's assistant is basically to get her coffee. It's the first thing she's shown doing in the show in the present after the flashbacks at the start. He knows who she really is already, and what she does for a living, hence he's telling her to stick to being an assistant...just not in a nice way.

He's also clearly not fond of aliens, and he blames Supergirl for Fort Rozz crashing on Earth, so he doesn't want her around. He's not shown to have anything against women...just aliens.

But yeah, government people can be dicks regardless.
Even more so when you're someone who becomes an evil Cyborg Superman later on.

But who knows, maybe I'm just naive.

If you want to see people say some truly horrific things about her, look at the comments section for just about anything relating to the show.

Is that supposed to be a punch? Such poor form. But not like she needs form when she has super strength.

Yeah they nailed the "cute yet muscular" design but that punch looks a little weak lol (or rather it doesn't look much like a punch at all).

I think it's just meant to be Supergirl striking a pose.

I think it's just meant to be Supergirl striking a pose.

Yup. It's just random posing. It popped up before the Never-Before-Seen Footage trailer starts, which was aired during a TV commercial break on CBS in the latter half of a </SCORPION> episode a few weeks ago.

Here's an actual shot from the show, of her punching some bank robber:

KwMzxyX.gif

Comic geeks love female superheroes but hate that they are female.

Oh they like them alright... as long as they're eye candy and/or wearing ridiculous outfits like *shudder* Power Girl's. It's when they show a modicum of grey matter and independence (and God forbid, not be sexualized) is when they go apeshit.

Slayven

Oh they like them alright... as long as they're eye candy and/or wearing ridiculous outfits like *shudder* Power Girl's. It's when they show a modicum of grey matter and independence (and God forbid, not be sexualized) is when they go apeshit.

Always tickles me when people use Power Girl as a example of a vapid sexualize object. People look at Power Girl, but not many read Power Girl

Slayven

I tend not to give her shit, but that boob window justification is laughable.

Folks skip over her being an electrical engineer and genius computer programmer. AND she organize the take over of a fortune 500 tech company(Starrware Industries) that she made herself CEO of. She was doing all that in the 80s. While Kara was still rocking a corny headband

Always tickles me when people use Power Girl as a example of a vapid sexualize object. People look at Power Girl, but not many read Power Girl

In all fairness: PG's costume is absolutely an example of vapid sexualization, even if the character very much is not.

Slayven

In all fairness: PG's costume is absolutely an example of vapid sexualization, even if the character very much is not.

It is suspect, but it is a shame most people never gone beyond that. I just hope she doesn't pop back up and have her taking selfies. RIP Oracle, RIP Starfire, and RIP Troia

It is suspect, but it is a shame most people never gone beyond that. I just hope she doesn't pop back up and have her taking selfies. RIP Oracle, RIP Starfire, and RIP Troia

Hey, now, Starfire's great in her solo book.

(And I still say she wasn't that bad in RHatO).

To be fair, Vartox is always a cringe-worthy character.

TheOddOne

- Sepinwall: Review: Melissa Benoist soars as 'Supergirl' in fun new CBS series.
Benoist occasionally overdoes Kara's nerdy side (though you could argue that it's Kara overdoing it so no one sees through the secret identity), but on the whole hits the right balance between exuberance at what she can do now that she's stopped hiding, and tentativeness at having to be responsible for protecting an entire city, and possibly an entire world. Between Stephen Amell on "Arrow" and Grant Gustin on "The Flash," Berlanti's casting people know what they're doing when it comes to picking out plausible superhero stars.
But Benoist is appealing enough, and the action sequences impressive enough, that the show gets away with the lack of subtlety. It's a competent superhero show made by people who've been doing this a while (even though Adler's new to the DC TV universe, she wrote for "Chuck" and co-created "No Ordinary Family" with Berlanti) and have gotten better at it with each new stage of things.

Whoever wrote that justification for the boob window should never work in writing again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom