• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl |OT| Adventure Runs in the Family - Mondays 8/7c on CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jimmy picked the right woman

https://youtu.be/LdfMKnJ1y2o

the-wolf-of-wall-street-leo-dicaprio.jpg

I saw that the other day...

Yes.

How's the show going? Both in terms of reception and ratings? Saw the pilot when it leaked but forgot about it till I saw this thread again

The show undeniably has problems, i.e. the dialogue, characters, and acting can be hokey, and some of the costumes/CGI look noticeably cheap, BUT! Melissa Benoist plays Supgirl so unapologetically it makes the show fun to watch.
The supporting cast is also great, specifically Cat, Kara's amazing boss.

After rocky beginning episodes, the show and the cast/crew are definitely becoming more confident as the season continues.

Skux

This is why I'd love to be an actor on a comic book TV show.

It pretty much ensures a steady stream of work from future adaptations lol

ZeroX03

Banned
That is a casting I can get behind. At this rate, I'm expecting Tom Welling to show up. They have all the other Supermen and Supergirls.

He hasn't been doing a lot and has never been that enthusiastic about Smallville.

But he's just out of a divorce and for actors that usually means work, work, work.

ZeroX03

Banned
Jenna Dewan Tatum is 35. Wow.

Also are Chyler, Jeremy and Mehcad playing 5+ or so years younger than they are IRL? Alex is supposed to be only a few years older than Kara?

Oh, fuck yeah. She was one of the best parts of Smallville in the later seasons. I hope they get Erica Durance as well.

Seems like Ep 13 will be an adaption (somewhat) of one of Superman's more famous stories, "For The Man Who Has Everything."

http://www.newsarama.com/27486-upcoming-supergirl-episode-based-on-classic-superman-story.html

A bit early for that, but interesting.

Joni

Jenna Dewan Tatum is 35. Wow.

Also are Chyler, Jeremy and Mehcad playing 5+ or so years younger than they are IRL? Alex is supposed to be only a few years older than Kara?

Chyler is only six years older then Melissa. But on the other hand, she didn't look 18 when 12-year old Kara showed up. Mehcad could be playing his own age. He has to have been old enough to work with Superman. Jeremy could go either way.

Have Atom cross over from Legends and you'll really have every living Superman.

Just get them all in one episode where Kara's power is accidentaly didived.

ZeroX03

Banned
Chyler is only six years older then Melissa. But on the other hand, she didn't look 18 when 12-year old Kara showed up. Mehcad could be playing his own age. He has to have been old enough to work with Superman. Jeremy could go either way.

Kara's established as 24 though, so Chyler should be playing roughly a 27 year old. If Jimmy is supposed to be 35 that's interesting but I doubt it, that's a big age gap. I figured Winn was supposed to be around Kara's age.

Assuming he started as an intern or whatever at the Planet he could be in his late 20s. We don't know exactly when Clark started out aside that he was established 10 years or so ago. I doubt James is Mehcad's age.

Assuming he started as an intern or whatever at the Planet he could be in his late 20s. We don't know exactly when Clark started out aside that he was established 10 years or so ago. I doubt James is Mehcad's age.

We know that Clark was active when Kara landed on Earth, so he's been Superman for at least 11-13 years. I'm going to guess that he's "Jesus Age" (36), since that's where they seem to like keeping Superman.

Joni

Kara's established as 24 though, so Chyler should be playing roughly a 27 year old. If Jimmy is supposed to be 35 that's interesting but I doubt it, that's a big age gap. I figured Winn was supposed to be around Kara's age.
That makes sense, and it is not unusual to subtract a couple of years of the actors.

ZeroX03

Banned
^ does anyone else wanna explain it to them sigh

We know that Clark was active when Kara landed on Earth, so he's been Superman for at least 11-13 years. I'm going to guess that he's "Jesus Age" (36), since that's where they seem to like keeping Superman.

I doubt Jimmy and Supes are the same age, so yeah we're looking at maybe around 30 for Jimmy.

That makes sense, and it is not unusual to subtract a couple of years of the actors.

Yep, that's why I'm guessing -5 years for the three aforementioned. And -3 for Melissa.

Now Cat's age...

ZeroX03

Banned
Old enough to have a mid 20'S son

Oh she's definitely in her mid 40s if not 50s like Calista Flockhart's. It's more that she'll never tell anyone her real age. It sounds like she was probably in her early 20s when he was born.

The Supergirl wiki isn't nearly as well maintained as the Arrowverse one so its hard to reference exactly what's been said.

Joni

Just looked it up. Jeremy is 31 (almost 32). More than a couple past 24.

Yes, but for instance, you don't get the idea he looks as old:mature as Sara or Laurel Lance, despite them being younger. I have the feeling Oliver/Laurel are about the same age as James/Alex, Kara and Barry a bit younger, then Thea.

I doubt Jimmy and Supes are the same age, so yeah we're looking at maybe around 30 for Jimmy.

Yeah. I was talking about Superman's age. I think I misinterpreted what I was responding to. Jimmy should definitely be younger than Clark. 36 for Clark, 30 for Jimmy sounds about right.

The Supergirl wiki isn't nearly as well maintained as the Arrowverse one so its hard to reference exactly what's been said.

Arrow's convenient because everybody either died or fake-died at least once, so we have tombstones to reference.

anaron

@TMSJay: More big casting still coming this season on @supergirlcbs, but "Andrew (Kreisberg) would kill me if I told." -- @CBS' #GlennGeller #TCA16

also Hope Lauren will be playing bizarro Supergirl

Joni

@TMSJay: More big casting still coming this season on @supergirlcbs, but "Andrew (Kreisberg) would kill me if I told." -- @CBS' #GlennGeller #TCA16

Curious about the first bit, the second isn't unexpected after last episode where they showed Jane Doe.

Magwik

Banned

I have $10 on someone from Doctor Who dropping into Supergirl.

Joni

What if they have their real Superman, or in lesser surprise, Superboy casted?
Biggest news would of course be if they 'casted' Grant Gustin as The Flash.

anaron

How's the show going? Both in terms of reception and ratings? Saw the pilot when it leaked but forgot about it till I saw this thread again
Andrew Kreisberg (the shows creator) addressed some of the show's problems and general trajectory really well today, I'll find the quote. it made me really excited

ETA: here it is!

Supergirl debuted to very strong ratings in the fall (13 million viewers, 3.1 rating among adults 18-49), then fell to more modest-yet-solid numbers (the recent midseason had 8.8 million and a 1.8 rating). We asked showrunner Andrew Kreisberg how the series is evolving for the back half of the season to perhaps regain some of the ground that slipped away.

"I’m as proud of Supergirl as anything I’ve ever done and in some ways prouder because it’s so hard to actually pull off the sheer scale of it,” Kreisberg said. “And while I’m so proud of the pilot and some of those early episodes, I do think there was an expectation of what it should be, what the ratings should be, what the character meant. And because it’s a female superhero as well, I think there were expectations on the part of the audience and the people we were making the show with. And I think it’s taken awhile to shake out. Once we stopped trying to make the show to be everything for everybody else and just started telling stories we wanted to tell with these amazing actors, the show has become a lot easier to make. We were blessed with The Flash, which came out of the gate fully formed in a way that Arrow didn’t. Arrow took awhile to find itself. Arrow needed Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) which it didn’t have early on, and it had voiceover, which it didn’t need. Whereas The Flash came out like The Flash — you can watch the pilot and the finale back to back and it’s the same show. Supergirl was one of those shows that had a learning curve on how to make it and how to tell the stories and the audience’s part on how to watch it.”

Trying to get an example of evolution that’s more specific, I prompted: The show is at its best when…

“It’s at its best when everyone’s involved,” Kreisberg said. “In the beginning there was a lot of this person’s over here doing this thing, and this person’s doing that thing, and Kara’s got a relationship with Kat, and another relationship with Jimmy. Now things are much more integrated — and they’re going to get further integrated moving forward … but I can’t look back at the early episodes and say, ‘Gee we really blew it there,’ because I don’t think we did. I think it’s the natural evolution. Maybe there were times the storytelling was too timid, or too bold, but I can’t say we’re not being bold now. I just know in my heart the show keeps getting better, and that seems to be the general impression people are getting.”

Joni

Andrew Kreisberg (the shows creator) addressed some of the show's problems and general trajectory really well today, I'll find the quote. it made me really excited

ETA: here it is!

That is a good analysis and it is understandable. Both Arrow and Supergirl are firsts for them, there is a bit of them getting used to the show. It is different for The Flash which launched off Arrow, with an actor and support they had already introduced halfway, with a character that is a lot better known on a network they knew. Which gives me hope LoT flies out of the gate running as well. Supergirl still has some lessons learned from Arrow, that one really changed tone the most.

ZeroX03

Banned
That is a good analysis and it is understandable. Both Arrow and Supergirl are firsts for them, there is a bit of them getting used to the show. It is different for The Flash which launched off Arrow, with an actor and support they had already introduced halfway, with a character that is a lot better known on a network they knew. Which gives me hope LoT flies out of the gate running as well.

Kreisberg has also mentioned he doesn't think that Legends has the same issues as Supergirl and starts fully formed.

Supergirl tried to recreate The Flash's formula, but it didn't quite work for the cast/character/tone/network.

chronos86

Here we go again...

Is a Supergirl and The Flash TV crossover in the works? Recent comments made by CBS president Glenn Geller are open to interpretation, but certainly also give plenty of fodder for speculation.
ADVERTISEMENT

During the TCA (Television Critics Association) winter press tour, Geller seemed to give the biggest opening so far to a potential crossover between the two shows. "I have to be really careful what I say here," he told reporters (via TheWrap), when asked about the possibility of Supergirl meeting The Flash, before simply stating, "Watch and wait and see what happens."

Soruce : http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/01/13/is-a-supergirl-the-flash-crossover-actually-in-the-works?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm_content=3&utm_campaign=Blogroll

In a few days Expect someone from CBS to be like oh no nah it's not happening, different networks, legal stuff, etc.

Penguin

"We bring on Project Cadmus to Supergirl in episode 17," he stated, adding that the show's version of the anti-metahuman cabal-turned-genetic engineering organization (first introduced in the comics by guru Jack Kirby in 1970) was still taking shape. "How it's going to be personified, we're still not sure."

DC sure does have it's fill of evil organizations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom