• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl |OT| Adventure Runs in the Family - Mondays 8/7c on CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget McDonough.

Who's the best villain in the show so far? Livewire? That's not a high bar.
McDonough's strength is in how much fun he seems to be having. He is an evil bastard, and likes being an evil bastard.

With Lord, there is just no motivation or drive. Sure, Dahrk has no motivation other than being evil, but at less he is selling it.

Don't forget McDonough.

Who's the best villain in the show so far? Livewire? That's not a high bar.

Yes, McDonough!

It's really disappointing how milquetoast the villains in this show are. Livewire was a nice breath of fresh air in comparison. Actually, if they'd kept Brit Morgan around longer and really built up her hatred, downfall, and then transformation and made her a primary villain for the first half of the season, then Lord in the second half, that would have been really cool, with the Kryptonian threat as a narrative strand running the whole length of the season. The actress was clearly having fun, had charisma, they gave her a cool powerset that actually allowed her to go toe-to-toe with Kara. She would have made a better initial 'Big Bad' for Kara to take on, and then keep her around as a recurring antagonist.

Morgan/Livewire was clearly reveling in her powers and how much havoc she was causing. They definitely should have given that storyline more room to grow, allow it to have more of an impact.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
McDonough is great as Darhk... but outside of being malevolent, there's nothing going on with him. Most of the time he just stands around in the same lame set, threatening or killing a minion.

Oh wait, he has a family. Um, okay.

On Supergirl, Toyman was clearly the best villain so far.

McDonough is great as Darhk... but outside of being malevolent, there's nothing going on with him. Most of the time he just stands around in the same lame set, threatening or killing a minion.

Oh wait, he has a family. Um, okay.

Toyman was clearly the best villain so far.

Toyman was really good, you really got that 'batshit, totally insane sociopath' vibe off him.

The thing is, the primary villains of the season are so dry and boring. I can understand a villain-of-the-week being lame and boring (see this week's Flash), but it's unacceptable for the primary antagonists of the season! Toyman and Livewire outshine Lord and Alura like nobody's business.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
The thing is, the primary villains of the season are so dry and boring. I can understand a villain-of-the-week being lame and boring (see this week's Flash), but it's unacceptable for the primary antagonists of the season! Toyman and Livewire outshine Lord and Alura like nobody's business.

Agreed. I think it also helped that characters like Merlyn and Wells had a good hook from the get go and that helped inform the actors.

Like, if there was a stinger early on that Lord opens a door to this huge room with all these different anti-Superman/girl projects... I'm sure that'd give him something else to play with and also give viewers something to sink their teeth into.

You know, Maxwell Lord is a sociopathic abuser with a God complex, and yet he is still uninteresting to watch on-screen. I'm thinking its the actor. He doesn't have the charisma to pull off such a sick larger-than-life character. I mean, I see him trying, but I don't feel that he thinks he's doing the right thing or anything more complex other than "This dude's a dick"

how_does_she_do_it.gif

I hope Kara royally fucks him up or something, destroys his body and turns him into Metallo to make him more interesting. Or the actor kicks it up a notch.

The character should be interesting, but he's not!

To me he feels like a frat guy dick, not a megalomanical dick. I think it's the actor, though.

Joni

Still, it won't have many breaks if episode 18 airs on March 28th. It could have easily gotten 22-23 episodes if they knew they were airing them that fast.

Dereck

You know, Maxwell Lord is a sociopathic abuser with a God complex, and yet he is still uninteresting to watch on-screen. I'm thinking its the actor. He doesn't have the charisma to pull off such a sick larger-than-life character. I mean, I see him trying, but I don't feel that he thinks he's doing the right thing or anything more complex other than "This dude's a dick"

how_does_she_do_it.gif
Hahaha

anaron

I actually like Facinelli on here. He's got great chemistry with Alex and the playboyish vibe lends itself well to not being able to fully read him. They clearly don't want him to be seen as cartoonishly evil the way most of the other villains are.

Pachimari

Just finished Episode 3 man is it still boring. Reactron were totally uninteresting, but this Max Lord guy I am curious about. I'm gonna watch Episode 6 later today and go from there.

ZeroX03

Banned
I actually like Facinelli on here. He's got great chemistry with Alex and the playboyish vibe lends itself well to not being able to fully read him. They clearly don't want him to be seen as cartoonishly evil the way most of the other villains are.

He's okay. But so far all of the bigger villains feel like weaker versions of Superman villains that have been done better. Max is a poor man's Lex. Astra and Non are a poor man's Zod and Faora. Flash and Arrow had the pleasure of defining their first season villains with fantastic actors to boot.

Volimar

^All true. They really need someone with presence.

My thoughts too. He's not as menacing as the arrowverse villains cuz he's not over the top like they are.

Stitch

Gold Member

He's like some creepy pickup artist. A vile creature but not a good villain.

Joni

He's okay. But so far all of the bigger villains feel like weaker versions of Superman villains that have been done better. Max is a poor man's Lex. Astra and Non are a poor man's Zod and Faora. Flash and Arrow had the pleasure of defining their first season villains with fantastic actors to boot.
They do need a villain that is really different from Superman in his movies. Bizarro could become that.

Just finished Episode 3 man is it still boring. Reactron were totally uninteresting, but this Max Lord guy I am curious about. I'm gonna watch Episode 6 later today and go from there.

The first three episodes were probably some of the worst episodes yet and by skipping episode 4 and 5, you'd miss out on the Livewire episode (EP 4), which was one of the better ones, apparently.

The first three episodes were probably some of the worst episodes yet and by skipping episode 4 and 5, you'd miss out on the Livewire episode (EP 4), which was one of the better ones, apparently.

Ah! Don't skip 4. Livewire is still one of the series's best.
Livewire is actually episode 5, though it was aired fourth because the actual episode 4 was about bombings, and the Paris attacks had just happened.

Anyone who watches them now should make sure to watch them in the proper order, since some little things, I think it was mainly with Jimmy and Lucy, will make a bit more sense.

In that case, neither episode should really be skipped; the bombing episode establishes one of the series antagonists and, at risk of sounding repetitive, the Livewire episode is still one of the best.

Phyranion

Who's the best villain in the show so far? Livewire? That's not a high bar. The show needs to up the quality of villains, I was hoping Hank as Cyborg Superman would be that but he had to turn out to be the wonderful Martian Manhunter instead.
I feel like Supergirl has the Arrowverse's best protagonists (Melissa Benoist as Supergirl, Cat Grant, Martian Manhunter), while Flash has the best antagonists (Tom Cavanagh as Reverse Flash, Zoom, Captain Cold).

Ogodei

I also enjoy Heat Wave from the Flash. I like the unhinged villains who look like they're having too much fan being evil.

They do need a villain that is really different from Superman in his movies. Bizarro could become that.

They should start with having a proper, overarching villain (as in, a real character) with an actual plan. It's the same problem Flash has right now, but at least Zoom is menacing and a threat for Barry (whenever he decides to pop up to actually do something).

Maxwell Lord doesn't really have a motivation, other than "Supergirl suxx, humans 4 lyfe!" They're trying to play the megalomaniac angle a little, but it doesn't really come over well enough. Maybe it's the actor, maybe it's the script, but I'm just not buying it.
He would work better, if they'd portray him with a bit more passion, as someone who genuinely seems to care about humanity. Perhaps letting him work with Supergirl for a while until they have a falling out that puts them on opposing sides when it comes to dealing with the alien threats or let him continue to work behind her back or anything like that. I know it's super cliche, but at least there would be reason and emotion behind his actions.

And Non? More like Non-Character, amirite?
Sorry

His motivation seems to be revenge for what happened to them on Krypton, which is fine. But so far he seems to be there to annoy Kara. Does he have a plan? Maybe. We don't know yet. It seems like there might be another figure behind him and Astra, but we don't know that either. There's been little to no development, which is unfortunate after 11 episodes in.

Pachimari

I haven't skipped them. I just already watched them with my - at the time - girlfriend.

So I went Epiode 5, 4 (because of the France terror) and now 3, and I'm gonna go to Episode 6 now lol.

I really hope to like the show soon. I were actually crazy about the pilot. And I love The Flash, Arrow, Gotham and Legends. I guess I just have to be in the right mood.

I might actually rewatch Episode 4 and 5.

Non at least is an improvement. The last time he appeared, he looked like this and he didn't talk.

1hNOnthedestroyer2.jpg

It cracked me up, when I found out that Richard Donner gave him an entire backstory for his appearance in the comics.

It was revealed that Non was a friend to Jor-El, as well as a member of the Kryptonian Council, while they discovered Krypton's instability. After leading a separatist movement, Non was abducted by the Science Council and lobotomized, leading to his current status as a minimally-verbal brute.

Joni

It cracked me up, when I found out that Richard Donner gave him an entire backstory for his appearance in the comics.

It was revealed that Non was a friend to Jor-El, as well as a member of the Kryptonian Council, while they discovered Krypton's instability. After leading a separatist movement, Non was abducted by the Science Council and lobotomized, leading to his current status as a minimally-verbal brute.

How else would you enjoy your random brutes backing up the main villain?

foxtrot3d

Banned
OMG with the upcoming Flash crossover I just realized that Barry will be able to teach Winn his greatest super power, moving past your friendzone crush.

Joni

OMG with the upcoming Flash crossover I just realized that Barry will be able to teach Wynn his greatest super power, moving past your friendzone crush.

Here I thought his superpower was to strike out with all women, even the ones that are already dating him.

ZeroX03

Banned
OMG with the upcoming Flash crossover I just realized that Barry will be able to teach Wynn his greatest super power, moving past your friendzone crush.

Nothing Barry can teach Winn will help him.

Now Oliver, he might lie and keep secrets but at least he gets laid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom