• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl renewed - moving to the CW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

You would have to completely change the focus of Arrow if this happens. The current season would make even less sense if Supergirl could just swoop in, fly Dahrk to the fortress of solitude and zip out.
The stupid amount of escalation required every new season especially in genre fiction is what makes this shit unbelievable anyway. I mean they literally went from fighting crime bosses to vengeful ex-friend mercenary to ninja clan and now it's magic dude with an army who plans to nuke the world. Dat escalation. Same with Flash too.

Also I would wager a guess but if Supergirl was originally picked up at the CW I would imagine LoT might not even exist in its current capacity and would actually star all 3 leads and other heroes doing cool shit instead of what we have now? I dunno.

anaron

The best part of this is it will be easier to catch up on episodes of Supergirl because they'll presumably be on Hulu and The CW's website (which puts up new episodes for free).

Extremely premature, but can we consider this a Season 3 renewal as well? The ratings are going to be great by CW standards, they'll tighten up the budget, and CW doesn't cancel things anymore lol

lol this thing is gonna last *at least* until season 5 now. It's all good.

Ophelion

Yea I think it'll have a good consistent audience on CW. Flash and Supergirl and pretty similar tonally so I assume that viewership will crossover quite a bit. Question is what day and time will they put this show on?

I didn't really tune into Supergirl because it came on at the same time Gotham did and S2 of Gotham has been amazing. So that's something they'd have to figure out.

Flash/Supergirl double feature? Like the good old Batman/Superman adventures?

Them all being in the same universe really doesn't change things in the overall picture. You don't have to follow any of the other shows as whenever there's a crossover, it's a one-off that really has no impact on the on-going story for each show. You can still have Supergirl a part of the universe and never watch a single episode of Arrow, Flash, or Legends.

Calista Flockhart — who, despite being adamant about working in L.A., agreed to remain on the series with its move to Vancouver.

Hey, Cat is coming with!

santi_yo

Barry and Kara shipping commence!

tumblr_o24w8xi0U41txzqa2o1_400.gif

Them all being in the same universe really doesn't change things in the overall picture. You don't have to follow any of the other shows as whenever there's a crossover, it's a one-off that really has no impact on the on-going story for each show. You can still have Supergirl a part of the universe and never watch a single episode of Arrow, Flash, or Legends.

Calista Flockhart — who, despite being adamant about working in L.A., agreed to remain on the series with its move to Vancouver.

Too bad, if I'm honest. Her presence kept me from watching the show. I like the rest of the cast though.

I really, really do hope they take this opportunity to solve their big, fat stupid Superman problem they didn't even need to give themselves in the first place.

what's with the Legends of Tomorrow hate? I like that show

It's fun but I have never seen a group of characters accomplish so little in 14 episodes. They make terrible decisions constantly. I can only take so much of that.

I guess I'm in it for the rest of the season though.

Ophelion

I really, really do hope they take this opportunity to solve their big, fat stupid Superman problem they didn't even need to give themselves in the first place.

It's been funny watching them come up with no-prize answers for bullshit that never should have been a concern in the first place, but otherwise yeah...why even have Superman in the story when they can't do dick with him thanks to the movies (I assume?)

anaron

Legends is such a disappointment. You have a show that keeps the really great cast of actors and characters around in the Flarrowverse and it just wastes them.

anaron

I wonder if CBS mandated the shit with Superman's handling to some degree. Very interested to see what do they now.

farisr

1. Flash
2. Supergirl
3. Arrow.
100. Legends of Tomorrow

We all know it to be true.
Overall, Arrow should be 2nd (thanks to S2 and the 2nd half of S1). But current season of Legends is better than S3 and S4 of Arrow.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Brainiac snatches up National City, Kara saves the day but not before they've already dimension hopped to Earth-1.

I can do this all day Berlanti, just give me a call.

Durock

Ah man. It's getting moved to Vancouver? I filmed a few scenes in the show back in November at the Warner Bros. Studios in Los Angeles. Such a fun show to be a part of. I'm glad it's continuing, but hate that they're moving it to Canada. . Seems like it would be more cost effective to keep it in LA, but idk. They'll have to rebuild all of the sets now I guess.

Ophelion

It's fun but I have never seen a group of characters accomplish so little in 14 episodes. They make terrible decisions constantly. I can only take so much of that.

I guess I'm in it for the rest of the season though.

I only got through the first few episodes. It was a team up of characters I either hated or they made measurably worse for this new show. And Rory cosplaying as the Doctor. It's a rollicking time travel adventure show that is just...way worse than that other one Arthur Darvill was already on. Is that fair? No. Can I do anything but think that every second I watch it? Nooooooo. In the episodes I saw, I felt like the dialog was also somehow worse than in other CW DC shows. Worse than Arrow even. And that's saying a lot.

Brainiac snatches up National City, Kara saves the day but not before they've already dimension hopped to Earth-1.

I can do this all day Berlanti, just give me a call.

Mister Mxyzptlk, Anti-Monitor, Braniac, or Barry/Rip wreck the timeline (again...again). But a few methods to choose from.

I had a feeling this would happen, but still, this makes the line from the cross-over episode about the characters looking like "the inoffensive, racially diverse cast of a CW show" quite funnier.

Ophelion

I had a feeling this would happen, but still, this makes the line from the cross-over episode about the characters looking like "the inoffensive, racially diverse cast of a CW show" quite funnier.

Cat Grant can see the future. But the power is mostly useless because it's fueled by snark and it's impossible to tell what's oracular and what's her ripping you a new asshole for the fun of it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So they're moving to Vancouver so they can get that tax break and those good old Canadian production squads, Calista is staying, and they got picked up by The CW who probably won't cancel the show for another decade. It really does seem like the best possible scenario. Even if CBS kept them for a second season, I don't know if it would have survived beyond that. But on The CW? This is going to be a smash hit for them.

Sober

Wouldn't be surprised if this was a CBS mandate or something. I would imagine if not they would have faith in the fans that Supergirl is effectively Superman if she were the only one. I'm wondering if we're too far past the threshold to cross back though.

Also for season 2 can we just have Chyler Leigh have the second billing after Benoist? I feel like the show is basically about the sisters more than anything else. Cept punching aliens I guess.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
CGI budget bye bye..

Flash does a really really really good job on a CW budget. Hopefully they can work similar magic with Supergirl. Most CW shows get very noticeable budget cuts as the guys with "powers" suddenly only power up once every 10 episodes, and the sets get smaller and smaller, but I haven't noticed this at all with The Flash. The powers are still cool, the fights are fun, and the sets don't really bother me.

anaron

Ah man. It's getting moved to Vancouver? I filmed a few scenes in the show back in November at the Warner Bros. Studios in Los Angeles. Such a fun show to be a part of. I'm glad it's continuing, but hate that they're moving it to Canada. . Seems like it would be more cost effective to keep it in LA, but idk. They'll have to rebuild all of the sets now I guess.
yeah the sets issue is something I thought would prevent moving to Vancouver, especially because they have to replicate it instead of prepping some in story justification (however crazy) for why everything had to change.

Luigi87

So now all they need to do is Crisis, merge the Earths, and then do the inevitable crossover episode in which Felicity somehow gets Supergirl's powers. Oh the hijinks.

Holy shit, this is big...

Why couldn't you do the same for Constantine, CW. :(

Constantine's NBC ratings would put it above Legend of Tomorrow and that's it.

The order ratings-wise is: Flash or Supergirl at #1, Arrow, Constantine, Legends of Tomorrow.

Legends is getting heavily rejiggered for the next season. Best bet would be to add Constantine to that cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom