• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl S2 |OT| The Sky's the Limit - Mondays 8/7c on The CW

Status
Not open for further replies.

StAidan

Man it's getting worse. To be honest I much prefer season one even though everyone else seems to think this one is going better.

Season one was leagues better.

- It had so much more direction, the plot felt like it was going somewhere.
- The big villains (Maxwell Lord, Cadmus Labs) were much better (and had more potential) than anything we've seen since.
- Kara no longer has a personal life, everyone she knows is in the superfriends gang and CatCo might as well not exist at this point. It's actually jarring when any of the characters are depicted remembering that they have a "day" job.

I've continued watching out of a sick sense of responsibility to see the season out, but I'm upset enough at the changes that I'm done after that. I'd rather just forget I ever saw it, and lie to myself that the series was canceled after season 1.

Joni

- The big villains (Maxwell Lord, Cadmus Labs) were much better (and had more potential) than anything we've seen since.

Maxwell Lord was a villain for five seconds and Cadmus was mentioned maybe once or twice. The big villains in season 1 were Non, Astra, Brainiac-5, Red Tornado, Live Wire and Silver Banshee. The fact you can't even remember the first two as the actual villains of the season, says a lot.

StAidan

Maxwell Lord was a villain for five seconds and Cadmus was mentioned maybe once or twice. The big villains in season 1 were Non, Astra, Brainiac-5, Red Tornado, Live Wire and Silver Banshee. The fact you can't even remember the first two as the actual villains of the season, says a lot.

Eh, I'd prefer to forget Non and Astra too, but since you bring them up, I'd rather have them back than what season 2 has become.

I never thought of those others as big villains.

jph139

Non and Astra were alright. Like, it wasn't an award-winning plotline, but the Supergirl-Astra dynamic as a more personal twist on the Superman-Zod conflict worked well enough.

They shit the bed with Brainiac though, she was awful. Season sort of clunked its way to the end.

Joni

Eh, I'd prefer to forget Non and Astra too, but since you bring them up, I'd rather have them back than what season 2 has become.

I never thought of those others as big villains.
They had more villain episodes than your examples. And personally they should try to get back to the first half of the season, and spend more time on the villain instead of teasing them a bit.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Yeah, they'll probably save her for an emotional low point where all seems lost.

Then BAM, rousing speech.

ZeroX03

Banned
Astra should've been the big bad for S1. Much better actor and presence than Non. A more personal threat for Kara. But she's unceremoniously chopped down.

Dysun

Having Miss Martian appear this year seemed like a good idea, but all of these episodes focused around her have been pretty flat. The show is definitely in need of a spark

Description for February 27th episode - Homecoming

http://www.kryptonsite.com/supergirl-homecoming-description-dean-cain-returns/
DEAN CAIN RETURNS – When Jeremiah Danvers (guest star Dean Cain) is rescued from Cadmus, Alex (Chyler Leigh) and Kara (Melissa Benoist) are thrilled to have their father back. The Danvers arrange a family dinner to celebrate but things go awry when a suspicious Mon-El (Chris Wood) starts to question Jeremiah about his sudden return. Larry Teng directed the episode written by Caitlin Parrish + Derek Simon (214). Original airdate 2/27/2017

Joni

Description for February 27th episode - Homecoming

http://www.kryptonsite.com/supergirl-homecoming-description-dean-cain-returns/
DEAN CAIN RETURNS – When Jeremiah Danvers (guest star Dean Cain) is rescued from Cadmus, Alex (Chyler Leigh) and Kara (Melissa Benoist) are thrilled to have their father back. The Danvers arrange a family dinner to celebrate but things go awry when a suspicious Mon-El (Chris Wood) starts to question Jeremiah about his sudden return. Larry Teng directed the episode written by Caitlin Parrish + Derek Simon (214). Original airdate 2/27/2017

So a fake? An alien that can shapeshift. Also ridiculous how little they use him.

Smoolio

https://twitter.com/SpoilerTV/status/830165585870729216

C4VXLc3UYAAQcTR.jpg

This poster is disgusting, can't see Arrow or Flash ever having such a poster.

ZeroX03

Banned
Better than a poster emphasising the titular characters role of girlfriend this season.

I don't think photos purposely shot for extreme objectification are better than a crappy tagline on an otherwise normal poster (that actually say she's not in the role of girlfriend).

Smoolio

I don't think photos purposely shot for extreme objectification are better than a crappy tagline on an otherwise normal poster (that actually say she's not in the role of girlfriend).

This season would say otherwise. Which is what I'm more upset about.

Toa TAK

Banned
That poster would be cool...

...Minus Mon-El and the tagline. I can't wait until we're past her relationship with Mon-El in the show, much as I like the guy.

Im still catching up and I think I realized a problem I have which is really under appreciated.

Its just how small and contained Supergirl is feeling.
Even though Arrow for example didn't go crazy dedicating screentime elsewhere(besides the island) it did a good job of feeling like a large world was going on outside of Arrow.

Volimar

Im still catching up and I think I realized a problem I have which is really under appreciated.

Its just how small and contained Supergirl is feeling.
Even though Arrow for example didn't go crazy dedicating screentime elsewhere(besides the island) it did a good job of feeling like a large world was going on outside of Arrow.

Especially out in the suburbs of Nanda Parbat.

Especially out in the suburbs of Nanda Parbat.
In 2 seasons we had what,
Starling
Bludhaven
Coast City
Central City
Moscow
Lian Yu
Keystone

Actual appearances at the very least.

Supergirl has:
National City
Metropolis
Krypton and Mars(I guess)

I can't think of more,(Gotham was named but im not counting mention only)
It isn't huge but for someone on Supergirl's level its just a bit weird and hurts the show.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Supergirl felt like it was expanding earlier in the season. Maybe not purely in locations, but the internal makeup of the show was beefing up. Clark and Metropolis, Lynda Carter as the President (with LIGHTUP EYES!), citizen reactions to the integration of aliens into human society. Heck, even the existence of the alien bar was something cause it showed how aliens had to go somewhere else to feel safe. Lots of these elements went out the window around the same time that we got fewer Catco scenes. Who knows, maybe they'll come back. Technically we're only at the halfway point of the season.

There is some disharmony between Supergirl during its first couple episodes this season and Supergirl now. The impression I got was that they were going to use aliens in National City as an allegory for current day issues. CADMUS being bigots, the robbers using stolen alien technology, the alien fight club run by a human, etc. Aliens are strange and supposedly dangerous, but they are often in a position to be taken advantage of by the criminal element of the city. The show gets the messages crossed cause they can't help but have episodes where aliens are evil just to be evil, like Parasite, those slavers, or White Martians. And then J'onn and Kara are kinda alien racist half the time too.

Supergirl felt like it was expanding earlier in the season. Maybe not purely in locations, but the internal makeup of the show was beefing up. Clark and Metropolis, Lynda Carter as the President (with LIGHTUP EYES!), citizen reactions to the integration of aliens into human society. Heck, even the existence of the alien bar was something cause it showed how aliens had to go somewhere else to feel safe. Lots of these elements went out the window around the same time that we got fewer Catco scenes. Who knows, maybe they'll come back. Technically we're only at the halfway point of the season.

There is some disharmony between Supergirl during its first couple episodes this season and Supergirl now. The impression I got was that they were going to use aliens in National City as an allegory for current day issues. CADMUS being bigots, the robbers using stolen alien technology, the alien fight club run by a human, etc. Aliens are strange and supposedly dangerous, but they are often in a position to be taken advantage of by the criminal element of the city. The show gets the messages crossed cause they can't help but have episodes where aliens are evil just to be evil, like Parasite, those slavers, or White Martians. And then J'onn and Kara are kinda alien racist half the time too.
That is true.

Ricker

I still like the show but man,since it came back from the Holiday break,it's just not as good anymore it seems...c'mon,we need more super villains for a few week or something...did they change writers or what...?

Joni

I still like the show but man,since it came back from the Holiday break,it's just not as good anymore it seems...c'mon,we need more super villains for a few week or something...did they change writers or what...?

They are just used to the CBS pacing where you need three episodes to advance one so the old people don't get left behind.

ZeroX03

Banned
Oh uh, new episode tonight! (PS. No Flash or Legends tomorrow)

#2.12 "Luthors"
Episode Promo
LENA IS ARRESTED - After Metallo (guest star Frederick Schmidt) breaks out of prison and frees Lillian Luthor (guest star Brenda Strong), the police blame Lena (guest star Katie McGrath) for his escape and arrest her. Despite overwhelming evidence, Kara (Melissa Benoist) refuses to believe her friend is guilty and fights to clear Lena's name, repeating a plot from just four episodes ago. Flashbacks reveal how Lena came to be a Luthor. Meanwhile, Alex (Chyler Leigh) and Maggie (Floriana Lima) celebrate their first Valentine's Day together. Tawnia McKiernan directed the episode written by Robert Rovner and Cindy Lichtman. (#212).
Lex-Luthor-Smallville_0.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm excited. Fem Luthors are my favorite new addition to the series. More fleshing out might drive them home as halfway decent antagonists/allies.

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm excited. Fem Luthors are my favorite new addition to the series. More fleshing out might drive them home as halfway decent antagonists/allies.
Agreed. They're the best additions to the show.

That said, I hope their story doesn't get bogged down like the Martians. Lot of potential, but wasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom