• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl S2 |OT| The Sky's the Limit - Mondays 8/7c on The CW

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroX03

Banned
I watched the first few episodes of season 1 and wasn't feeling it. Some of the characters were interesting, some of them sucked. I've heard it's gotten better but I'm not sure if I want to do catch up.

You could skip the first season if you want. They really blatantly wipe the slate of all the Hawk and Savage stuff. I still think it's worth watching on character swag, but don't feel obligated to do a full catch up.

Supergirl did a great job of rounding out its main cast by adding Mon-El and giving Wynn and James something to do.

But now it's like.. they have nothing to do other than fight the bad dude of the week. They need a compelling villain badly and it's really starting to show.

Yep. They need a solid someone to fight on a long-term basis. Like I said, that's why Legends is better right now.

Flash has a villain, but Savitar isn't really the focus right now. It has a focus, but it's not a compelling one.

jb1234

You could skip the first season if you want. They really blatantly wipe the slate of all the Hawk and Savage stuff. I still think it's worth watching on character swag, but don't feel obligated to do a full catch up.

Oh, good because the Hawks suuuuuuuuuuuucked. I'll probably give it another shot.

LotusHD

Banned
I watched the first few episodes of season 1 and wasn't feeling it. Some of the characters were interesting, some of them sucked. I've heard it's gotten better but I'm not sure if I want to do catch up.

Do what I did for S1 of Supergirl, and just skip it all. They get rid of everyone you likely dislike: The Hawkpeople, Vandal Savage,
Rip Hunter (I didn't know how much I actually disliked the character until he was gone)
Maybe watch like the last few episodes of S1 if anything. I barely even care about the plot this season. Not that it's bad, because it isn't, but this cast is just so damn entertaining, including the villains.

Can't really advocate skipping Supergirl S1 because Cat Grant was the heart of the show. The more I think about it the more I think the show is falling apart without her.

lol at Supergirl needing a nerf; she is incredibly weak in her own show, and only got buffed for the crossover because reasons.

LotusHD

Banned
Can't really advocate skipping Supergirl S1 because Cat Grant was the heart of the show. The more I think about it the more I think the show is falling apart without her.

lol at Supergirl needing a nerf; she is incredibly weak in her own show, and only got buffed for the crossover because reasons.

Well considering she's nowhere to be found in S2, it seems cruel to introduce them to a character they'll rarely if ever see lol

Although in actuality, I didn't literally skip all of S1. I saw a few episodes, like the Flash crossover, Red Tornado episode, the one where Kara went evil, learning that the Martian Manhunter was a thing, as well as how it ended.

ZeroX03

Banned
Maggie is a series regular, it would be nice if they fleshed her character out beyond love interest and exposition cop.

Joni

Supergirl S1 and Legends of Tomorrow S1 aren't that long. They both are flawed but have their moments, Snart-Sara and Kara-Cat can't be missed.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Her superiors fired her when she was engaged with her previous girlfriend in Gotham City...

..and she changed her name so she would have a chance at a fresh start in National City.
Is it called National City? I always forget the name of where Supergirl takes place.

LOLCats

Banned

Lol I was just about to post, with all the criminals from her planet that escaped she gets beat down i suppose. On episode 3 now. Right now i am trying to get over it feeling more like a chick flick (for immediate lack of better term)

I'm enjoying this season but I have to be honest Mon-El seems utterly pointless. Like so far he's only been on the show to be a love interest with Kara. He doesn't actually do much of anything himself, and essentially every plot point he has revolves around if him and Kara are gonna hook up or not.

Idk just seems to be a pretty pointless character so far and I feel like they really should be doing a lot more with him.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Jimmy and Winn made major turnarounds this season. They're a lot more fun to watch and hang around now. And Mon-El is a fun voice, especially in the last few episodes. Dude is charming.

Maggie is a series regular, it would be nice if they fleshed her character out beyond love interest and exposition cop.

She should've been Montoya. Then she'd have somewhere to go.

LotusHD

Banned
I don't mind her being with Mon-El, but I do agree with the voiced concerns about how they treat their relationships on this show in such a childish way. Sometimes its cute (Like with Alex), but most times it's kinda embarrassing lol

ZeroX03

Banned
Kara and Mon El don't have the best chemistry. Better than Benoist and her ex husband but that's not difficult. She still seems to have more sparks with Lena than any guy.

Mon El's best trait is he's funny in an odd way.

jph139

I like Mon-El as a guy with super powers that's just sort of... an asshole. Like, he's not evil, or even a bad guy, he's just selfish and short-sighted. Not interested in his "being better... for her" arc.

I'll echo that the show feels empty without Cat (or CatCo). That was where 90% of Kara's growth and development and personal struggles were. They tried to follow that up with her whole journalism dream thing, but that plotline is severely undercooked.

Alex took the relationship plot. Jimmy and Winn and Mon-El took the "learning to be a hero" plot. J'onn took the "refugee of a lost people" plot. Kara is just sort of... there.

jb1234

Yeah, it's odd that the lead of the show is so adrift right now. Benoist's charm makes up for a lot but it's unfortunate that her biggest plot right now is this excruciating will they/won't they romance with Mon-El.

It's funny how there was some people overly reacted that Superman was showing up and "stealing" Kara's show before the season started because of the promotion.

Emarv

DUMB QUESTION: In the Barenaked Ladies' most popular song, One Week, there's a specific reference to Aquaman. If BNL and One Week exists in this universe, are they referencing comics Aquaman or a real Aquaman??????

DUMB QUESTION: In the Barenaked Ladies' most popular song, One Week, there's a specific reference to Aquaman. If BNL and One Week exists in this universe, are they referencing comics Aquaman or a real Aquaman??????

Depends on which Arrowverse Earth he got sorted into.

Pachimari

This was such a weak episode, and I'm glad and hopeful the White Martians and Miss Martian is done with. There's nothing interesting going on now and there's no huge baddie either. This season has been weak and worse than the first season.

At start of season:
1. The Flash
2. Supergirl
3. Legends of Tomorrow
4. Arrow

Currently:
1. Legends of Tomorrow
2. The Flash
3. Arrow
4. Supergirl

What was the reason for Cat Grant to be written out of the show? Did the actress have other commitments?

What was the reason for Cat Grant to be written out of the show? Did the actress have other commitments?

Callista lives in LA and didn't want to have to live in Vancouver for extended periods of time while filming. If the show hadn't moved they probably wouldn't have lost her.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

EDIT: Starcreator covered it.

I do wonder if moving from a Catco focus to a DEO focus would've happened even if she stayed on.

My current season ranking would be a race to the bottom between Supergirl and The Flash. If I was pressed, I'd give put Flash at the bottom. I thought the implementation of Flashpoint was weak and the first half of the season did nothing for me. Legends and Arrow are on fire right though. 🔥🔥🔥

Currently:
1. Legends of Tomorrow
2. The Flash
3. Arrow
4. Supergirl

I actually totally agree with this ranking except I would put Arrow last. Legends has been shockingly good this season, and Supergirl started strongly but has really tanked for me lately. I still enjoy it and all, but the show feels like its just stalling out

MartyStu

This was such a weak episode, and I'm glad and hopeful the White Martians and Miss Martian is done with. There's nothing interesting going on now and there's no huge baddie either. This season has been weak and worse than the first season.

At start of season:
1. The Flash
2. Supergirl
3. Legends of Tomorrow
4. Arrow

Currently:
1. Legends of Tomorrow
2. The Flash
3. Arrow
4. Supergirl

Arrow is too low.

Joni

She didn't want to live in Vancouver. It was the reason the show was shooting in Los Angeles in the first place.

At start of season:
1. The Flash
2. Supergirl
3. Legends of Tomorrow
4. Arrow

Currently:
1. Legends of Tomorrow
2. The Flash
3. Arrow
4. Supergirl
I wonder what The Flash had that it would even deserve not the last spot with that start. Three shows started strong, The Flash didn't.

Pachimari

I just love most things The Flash and have liked what they've done this season so far. I'm enjoying it, which cannot be said for Supergirl and Arrow. Arrow didn't get good until last week's episode to me. But maybe this whole discussion is for another thread. Just thought I would post my ranking as I saw people did it on the last page. :)

Makonero

Arrow's #1 by no small margin. Wild Dog and Ragman, too good.

It definitely is "most improved" this season. Legends is up there too! Flash has been the most disappointing, although this focus now on "fixing the future" is interesting. Supergirl started strong and is now a bit plodding. But I'm happy that we have so much DC goodness and I'm excited to see what all these shows have in store.

For Supergirl I really just wish they'd merge National City back in to Metropolis.
Give Clark some guest appearances in return for just going all in on his big villains.

When you need her solo say he is doing Justice League/space stuff.

Also Lex gets out of prison and you get a lot of interaction/development with Lena.
(eventually heading towards Lex running for President somehow)

I've been enjoying the show but I have to say, the last few episodes have really felt like treading water waiting for something to happen, most of the plot points from the early part of the season have just fizzled out or don't seem to be going anywhere. No real big villain in sight, I have to assume this is gonna somehow end up being Mon-El?

Cafeman

Mon-El is going to the future to be with the Legion! We've already seen the Legion Ring at the Fortress on Supergirl. He won't be a villain.

For Supergirl I really just wish they'd merge National City back in to Metropolis.
Give Clark some guest appearances in return for just going all in on his big villains.

When you need her solo say he is doing Justice League/space stuff.

Also Lex gets out of prison and you get a lot of interaction/development with Lena.
(eventually heading towards Lex running for President somehow)

Metropolis makes the "but where is Superman?" problem WAY worse.

Better to keep them on opposite ends of the country (National City is in California, Metropolis is nebulously "East Coast," but typically close to New York City)

Metropolis makes the "but where is Superman?" problem WAY worse.

Better to keep them on opposite ends of the country (National City is in California, Metropolis is nebulously "East Coast," but typically close to New York City)

Its a trade off though,
- "where's Superman" gets worse
+ Metropolis' Rogues
+ more reason for Superman to appear
++ Lois. She, Lucy and General Lane can all develop or something
+ Catco stuff gets more interesting having it directly competing with Daily Planet.

leng jai

Man it's getting worse. To be honest I much prefer season one even though everyone else seems to think this one is going better.

T Dollarz

Season 2 started off really strong, but it's been sliding rapidly. At this point I would agree that I prefer the tone of season 1.

Legends is the best of the four right now. It knows exactly what it is.

Joni

Man it's getting worse. To be honest I much prefer season one even though everyone else seems to think this one is going better.

It was a better show. Superman, Lena and Mon-El helped make the show fresher and it had a villain. Cadmus might not have been a complete hit, but it was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom